Prize Puzzle – October 2013

Monthly Prize Puzzle No 17 (October 2013) by Prolixic

+ – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – +

Why not have a go at our latest Monthly Prize Puzzle?  The winner will receive a copy of Mick Twister’s There Was an Old Geezer Called Caesar: A History of the World in 100 Limericks kindly donated by Tilsit.  It is hoped that this copy will be signed by the author, subject to his attendance at the London Cruciverbalist Convention later this month.

Please note that, due to punitive postal charges, while the competition is open to all, the prize is only available to UK solvers.

A review will follow after the closing date (19th October 2013).

MPP - 17

The puzzle is available by clicking on the above grid.

I’ve left this post open for comments, but if you don’t want your comment to be deleted then avoid asking for or giving help with the clues.

1. KiwiColin
    Posted October 5, 2013 at 9:52 pm | Permalink

An enjoyable challenge. A few tricky bits of word-play that held up the last few going in. A special bit of clever mis-direction too that prompted me to make an earlier comment and then leap out of bed an hour later to apologize and ask BD to sort it for me. Thanks again Dave. More details when the review comes out.
    Generally, not too difficult so there should be heaps and heaps of entries this month. Especially with the great prize book by Micawber for those who are eligible.
    Thanks for the puzzle Prolixic.

• stanXYZ
      Posted October 6, 2013 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

KiwiColin, I wondered what had happened to your original comment. I saw it and … then it was gone!

Must stop drinking!

Finished! Apart from the answer? Thanks to Prolixic!

• KiwiColin
        Posted October 6, 2013 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

Stan, I was wrong. I asked Dave to remove the comment as it could have helped people to an easier alternative clue. My head is still hung in shame.
        Good luck with the answer. :)

• Jezza
      Posted October 16, 2013 at 9:41 am | Permalink

I wonder if you made the same mistake that i have just done when submitting the entry..! We shall see on Sunday :)

Posted October 11, 2013 at 10:25 pm | Permalink

I can’t do this at all. I’ve spent quite a long time fiddling about with it and now have seven answers. I rather suspect that it’s beyond me and even if I managed to finish it I’m quite sure that the hidden football team would remain hidden since football teams are not my forte. Will carry on trying . . .

• Catnap
      Posted October 16, 2013 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

I’m in the same boat, Kath. I have all of six answers and am pondering over a seventh. When I first looked at this puzzle I felt it was far beyond me so thought no more about it. I’ve now decided to give it a try. How far I’ll get is another matter!

Posted October 16, 2013 at 9:34 am | Permalink

I managed to complete the puzzle yesterday without any problem, but it took me ages to spot the football team. I was just about to admit defeat, when i spotted it 5 minutes ago :)
    Thanks to Prolixic for the puzzle.