Hints and tips by Libellule

BD Rating – Difficulty * Enjoyment ***

Rufus back to his normal self today, a piece of 11a perhaps?

1. One lacking a blooming partner? (10)
{WALLFLOWER} – A person who, because of shyness, or lack of a partner remains at the side at a party or dance.

9. She composes a reflective article (4)
{ANNA} – A girls name can be constructed from an indefinite article used twice, with the second one reversed.

10. Prison tour rearranged — get the hump (10)
{PROTRUSION} – An anagram (rearranged) of PRISON TOUR.

11. Nice cake? (6)
{GATEAU} – The French word for cake.

12. Swindle company and acknowledge it (7)
{CONFIRM} – A word that means to prove to be true or valid is a three letter word for a fraud, followed by another word for a business partnership.

15. Sole aid for a climber (7)
{CRAMPON} – Is a spiked framework attached to the bottom of a shoe or boot to prevent slipping when walking or climbing on ice and snow.

16. They have their ups and downs at playtime (2-3)
{YO-YOS} – Toys consisting of a spool attached to a string, the end of which is held while it is repeatedly spun out and reeled in.

17. Split lease? (4)
{RENT} – A tear, or payment made by a tenant.

18. Page badly needing medicine (4)
{PILL} – P (page) and another word for not healthy.

19. Emblem of the brave (5)
{TOTEM} – A natural object or being, typically used as an emblem of a North American tribe.

21. Not one of two or three in shambles (7)
{NEITHER} – An anagram (shambles) of THREE IN.

22. Fine stuff for a Welsh banker before tea breaks (7)
{TAFFETA} – A crisp, smooth, plain-woven fabric can be made up from a Welsh river and an anagram (breaks) of TEA.

24. Bedding for the young (6)
{LITTER} – A material, such as straw, used as bedding for animals, or a group of offspring.

27. Limit parliamentary debate for capital punishment? (10)
{GUILLOTINE} – A mechanism used to bring a debate to a quick end is also a device used to behead people.

28. Operatic prince to leave embraced by one king (4)
{IGOR} – A word for depart is surrounded by I (one) and R (king).

29. Doesn’t care about being poor (6-4)
{SECOND-RATE} – An anagram (about) of DOESN’T CARE.

2. Gives voice to songs (4)
{AIRS} – Double definition, public utterances, melodies or tunes.

3. Released — or shot (3,3)
{LET OFF} – To allow to get away, or to explode or fire.

4. Where they wash and air French articles first (7)
{LAUNDRY} – LA, followed by UN (French articles) and then another word for air, used in the context of exposing something so it can lose moisture.

5. Intelligence required to get round a delay (4)
{WAIT} – Place a word for natural ability to perceive and understand around A.

6. Footballing scouts? (7)
{RANGERS} – A football team found in Glasgow perhaps.

7. Business initiative (10)
{ENTERPRISE} – A commercial organisation, or a willingness to undertake new ventures.

8. Dreadful Australian orgy (10)
{SATURNALIA} – An anagram (dreadful) of AUSTRALIAN.

12. It’s instrumental in calor gas getting distribution (3,7)
{COR ANGLAIS} – An anagram (getting distribution) of IN CALOR GAS is also a musical instrument.

13. No fancy work? (3-7)
{NON-FICTION} – Factual literature.

14. Drive from tee in open country (5)
{MOTOR} – Put T (tee) in another word for heath land.

15. Old plane that has a long tail? (5)
{COMET} – The name of the first production jet aircraft, is also the name of a type of celestial body.

19. It’s possibly great when it’s used for riot control (4-3)
{TEAR-GAS} – An anagram (possibly) of GREAT followed by AS (when).

20. Weeping girl takes nothing up (7)
{MAUDLIN} – A word that means tearfully sentimental is a girls name is followed by NIL (nothing) reversed (up).

23. An unexpected trifle — a riddle, perhaps (6)
{FILTER} – An anagram (unexpected) of TRIFLE is also a type of sieve.

25. Record appearance of full moon (4)
{DISC} – Another name for an LP for example could also describe how the full moon looks.

26. Complication that naturally goes against the grain (4)
{KNOT} – A complex problem, is also a round, often darker cross-section of a piece of wood where a branch joined a trunk for example.

The Quick crossword pun: (whine} + {Liszt} = {wine list}

Pommers is celebrating a significant birthday today. I’m not allowed to tell you which one, but if he was still living in the UK he would be entitled to collect a bus pass!

Happy Birthday Pommers

Posted September 30, 2013 at 10:16 am | Permalink

The usual good fun puzzle from Rufus – thank you, not your hardest. Thank you Libellule for your review and hints.

Posted September 30, 2013 at 10:29 am | Permalink

Another excellent puzzle. My rating today is **/***. Lots of great clues, as we have come to expect from Rufus, with 21a my favourite.

My main difficulty today was trying to make Thea fit the wordplay for 9a until solving 7d forced me in the direction of the right answer. I also didn’t understand why my answer for 23d was correct until I read the hint, which explained a new meaning of riddle for me.

Many thanks to Rufus and to Libellule.

Posted September 30, 2013 at 10:36 am | Permalink

We got held up parsing 27a as we had never encountered the parliamentary use of the word. A close scrutiny of the appropriate entry in the BRB sorted it out for us. Nothing else gave any problems. Good fun.
    Over the weekend we put our clocks forward for the summer. Nice to have the longer evenings but the downside for us is that we now have to wait until midday to download our daily fix of puzzles instead of getting them at 11am. It’s a tough world!
    Thanks Rufus and Libellule

4. Graham
    Posted September 30, 2013 at 10:42 am | Permalink

Usual gentle monday start from rufus with no problems or issues to worry about.Thanks to libellule for the review, grey & over cast in soton.

5. mary
    Posted September 30, 2013 at 10:51 am | Permalink

Hi all nice to be back after a great trip and nearly a month away in the motorhome up to Loch Ewe in Scotland calling at several places en route and Loch Lomond and Keswick on way back, two days home and I wonder why we don’t go more often!!
    Morning Libelulle and thanks as usual for the hints but not needing them today, a lovely Rufus crossword to come home to, lots of favourite clues, too many to mention
    Off to catch up on all the things that need doing after a month away!!!
    laters :-)

• Heno
      Posted September 30, 2013 at 10:54 am | Permalink

Hi Mary, I hope you had a nice time.

Posted September 30, 2013 at 10:57 am | Permalink

Really did thanks Heno :-)

Posted September 30, 2013 at 10:58 am | Permalink

Hope you’ve all behaved whilst I’ve been away!!!

• Heno
        Posted September 30, 2013 at 11:06 am | Permalink

We’ve been trying to be good. Kath’s been keeping us in order with her favourites “rule” :-)

Posted September 30, 2013 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

I think I am one of the worst ones to break this ‘rule’ can’t remember getting a telling off from Kath though!

Posted September 30, 2013 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

Yes – just spotted that you said you had ‘lots of favourite clues today’ in your comment. Oh dear – first day back too!

• spindrift
            Posted October 1, 2013 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

Got there eventually. I’d offer assistance but I don’t think this is the blog for dissecting Grauniad puzzles

• Poppy
        Posted September 30, 2013 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

Hello Mary – how lovely that you’re safely back & had a good time away. We’ve missed you. Kath has been doing sterling work as have CS with some tantalising cake descriptions, wheelbarrow loads of peaches to process amongst others, and our leader’s team on their various days. Went to see Blue Jasmne last night (the latest Woody Allen film). Quite a remarkable showing, but pretty open ended which annoyed some fellow viewers! Poppy has made friends with a tortoise who follows her around the garden… Quite a sight. Anyway, welcome back :-D

Posted September 30, 2013 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

Hello Poppy and thank you, conjures up amazing pictures a tortoise following a dog lol :-)

Posted September 30, 2013 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

Hi Mary – glad you’re back and that you’ve had a good time. I’d say that the troops have been pretty well behaved, in general.
      I thought it must be round about now that you’d be back. We’re off to Suffolk on Wednesday.

Posted September 30, 2013 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

Thanks Kath, how long are you away, hopefully paper work submitted and approved???

Posted September 30, 2013 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

We’re away for a week, hopefully, and assuming that we even manage to go – my Mum is in hospital and my sister isn’t ‘playing ball’! :roll:

Posted September 30, 2013 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

Oh dear, I know what it’s like with elderly parents to look after and being the main carers, not that we have ours any more, there’s no nice way of saying that is there?
            I hope you get the break you need, I’ve been looking back at the weekend puzzles and see you had a bad experience with those awful dogs that were out of control, I remember our first dog getting attacked and having to pick her up even though she was quite big, the owner of the other dog, an elderly lady came along and said ‘Oh no need to worry, my dog hasn’t got any teeth’!!! For a dog with no teeth she certainly left a lot of teethmarks behind!
            Hope collie dog is ok after experience and you too :-(

Posted September 30, 2013 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

No – you’re right about there being no nice way of saying it – just makes me feel guilty.
              Collie is fine, thanks – she always was apart from a spot of damaged pride – and I’ve recovered now!!

• Brian
      Posted September 30, 2013 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

Welcome home Mary, always nice to hear your cheerful ‘voice’

Posted September 30, 2013 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

Thanks Brian, that’s nice :-)

Posted September 30, 2013 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

Welcome back, we missed your cheerful input every day!

Posted September 30, 2013 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

• Derek
      Posted September 30, 2013 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

Hi Mary – glad to see you back in business. So you saw Loch Lomond in Bonnie Scotland! I lived for many years Am Magh Leamhna in Alexandria (Dunbartonshire).
      Unfortunately, my Gaelic has become very rusty after living in NL for nearly fifty years.

Greetings,
      Derek.

Posted October 1, 2013 at 9:56 am | Permalink

Thanks Derek, yes we stayed on a site at a beautiful little village called Luss

• una
      Posted September 30, 2013 at 8:03 pm | Permalink

Nice to see you back. You were missed !

Posted October 1, 2013 at 9:57 am | Permalink

Thanks Una, good to be back but brain a bit rusty!

Posted September 30, 2013 at 10:53 am | Permalink

Thanks to Rufus and to Libellule for the review and hints. Very straightforward fun puzzle to start the week. My only problem was the second word of 13d, just couldn’t think of it, had to use electronic help. Favourites were 1a & 23d. Agree with Libellule’s star ratings. Sun is trying To come out in Central London. Might try the Grauniad and the NTSPP, addicted? Who me :-)

• spindrift
      Posted September 30, 2013 at 11:18 am | Permalink

Rufus is not on duty over at the Grauniad – It’s Orlando & I find him a tad harder than our usual Monday Maestro.

• Heno
        Posted September 30, 2013 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

Yes, me too, I’ve only solved about ten.

• 2Kiwis
      Posted September 30, 2013 at 7:22 pm | Permalink

We’ve been watching for your comment on the NTSPP. The comment column is looking very bare this week so we wondered how you went with it. :)

Posted September 30, 2013 at 8:28 pm | Permalink

I made a quick comment on the NTSPP – nothing has changed since then. Maybe I’ll just ‘pop over’ there to make another one.

7. Brenda Reding
    Posted September 30, 2013 at 11:20 am | Permalink

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Pommers, nice to have you on board again!

8. Senf
    Posted September 30, 2013 at 11:22 am | Permalink

All but two completed before lights out last night – 21a and 13d.. Thanks to Libellule for helping me complete them this morning. I missed the use of shambles as the anagram indicator in 21a, and was just totally blocked on 13d. Oh well, thanks to Rufus for an otherwise gentle start to the week.

9. angel
    Posted September 30, 2013 at 11:54 am | Permalink

Yes, almost an 11a but failed to get 20d as I had 19a wrong so thanks Libellule for putting me straight and also to Rufus for another of your entertaining puzzles. **/***

Posted September 30, 2013 at 11:59 am | Permalink

Just me then? :sad: Between 2* and 3* for difficulty and 3* for enjoyment.
    I usually add on a star if I need the hints to get an answer – I couldn’t do 9a or 26d. I’m still not very happy about 9a – why does she compose? I spent ages trying to justify Enya. Oh well, never mind.
    I also went wrong very briefly with 11a and had eclair but as soon as I got on to the down clues that was sorted out.
    I didn’t know the parliamentary debate bit of 27a.
    Those were my only problems but I think they were enough.
    I liked 10 and 19a and 12d. My favourite was 8d.
    With thanks to Rufus and Libellule.

• Hrothgar
      Posted September 30, 2013 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

9a – as in ‘makes’ ie she makes etc. etc.
      (Have I broken a Rule? Sorry. :) )

• Posted September 30, 2013 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

Not on a weekday – this is not a prize puzzle.

• Posted September 30, 2013 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

… and that would be OK even if it was a prize puzzle.

Posted September 30, 2013 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

I suppose so – just me being a bit slow today I think. It was just a minor quiddity – having learnt that one in a recent Toughie I thought I’d use it before it disappears into the recesses of the brain never to be retrieved again.

Posted September 30, 2013 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

New one for me, must file it away to impress at a later date!

Posted September 30, 2013 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

PS Happy birthday pommers and a big :smile: to you. Hope that you have a lovely day and that the sun is shining.

Posted September 30, 2013 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

From me too :-)

Posted September 30, 2013 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

Me too. Hope you are back blogging soon!

Posted September 30, 2013 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

No great problems today for me and I learnt a new phrase Cor Anglais, had to Google it to find out what is was.
    Best clue for me was 13d, nice bit of misdirection.
    Thx to Rufus and of course to Libellule (always feel a bit cheated when I don’t use those splendid hints :-) )

13. spindrift
    Posted September 30, 2013 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

Pommers
    Mrs S has the significant birthday next year and already the list of possible venues for celebration with the whole family (which will be paid for by Banco de Papa (me)) means that I will be on to the next significant birthday before I can afford to retire.

Enjoy a few libations & mind nobody steps on your fingers while you’re walking home from the bar!

14. Catherine
    Posted September 30, 2013 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

Nice start to the week. Thank you Rufus and Libellule.

15. Roger
    Posted September 30, 2013 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

Lovely bit of misdirection in 12d with the use of the word distribution. Having got the initial C shortly followed by the R in the first word, I was looking for CAR something. Excellent crossword but over all too soon.

16. BigBoab
    Posted September 30, 2013 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

Usual stuff from Rufus enjoyable but very simple and a nice review from Libellule, thanks to both.

Posted September 30, 2013 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

I liked this one today. Many thanks to Rufus, and to Libellule.

Welcome back mary, and Happy Birthday pommers!

Posted September 30, 2013 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

Thanks Jezza :-)

• Heno
      Posted September 30, 2013 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

Happy Birthday Pommers, I’ll be joining the club just after Xmas.

Posted September 30, 2013 at 8:32 pm | Permalink

Pah . . spring chickens the pair of you!! So where is the “grumpy old man”? Actually I think that’s probably a silly question . . .

18. Collywobbles
    Posted September 30, 2013 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

As stated by others an easy puzzle but, as we often say, non the less enjoyable for that and it’s nice to start the week with an easier one. Many thanks to Rufus for a fine crossword and to Libellule for the hints which I had to refer to from time to time to see why I got a clue correctly

19. Poppy
    Posted September 30, 2013 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

Done and dusted, and much enjoyed. Thanks setter & Libellule.

20. Toni
    Posted September 30, 2013 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

No help needed today. First time for ages.
    Favourite 9d and… Only kidding Kath.
    Thanks to both hint provider and setter

Posted September 30, 2013 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

Just checking . . . :smile:

Posted September 30, 2013 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

Thoroughly enjoyed, thank you Rufus. I didn’t know that meaning for 27a, just got it from the checking letters and a quick google set me right. Was slow getting 1a because I put “set” instead of “let” for 3d, but corrected once I got 1a. Thanks for the hints Libellule though not needed today.

22. Derek
    Posted September 30, 2013 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

Rufus at his jolliest!

Faves : 15a, 19a, 27a, 6d, 15d & 20d.

Bangers and Mash tonight!

The family are coming chez moi for dinner on Sunday so must order a leg of lamb on the bone.

23. Little Dave
    Posted September 30, 2013 at 7:29 pm | Permalink

Nothing too taxing today and all over rather quickly. Even the Quick was done before I got to work. Thanks the The Setter.

24. una
    Posted September 30, 2013 at 8:08 pm | Permalink

Personally I found it a little harder than a* star, and all the more enjoyable for that.13d was the last to capitulate and 1a held out for a long time too. Thanks to Rufus and Libellule.

25. Catnap
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

I greatly admire Rufus’ puzzles. Much to my chagrin, I can’t always do them! :sad: I’m happy because I didn’t fare too badly on this one. :grin: I got 20d wrong (had ‘Marylin’ thinking of the Biblical Mary weeping at the Cross). I needed Libellule’s explanation for 22a, as I was thinking of the Welshman’s name rather than the river. (So where did the ‘banker’ fit into my logic???) The remainder of my answers (and my reasoning) was fine. Particular likes — 1a, 9a, 11a, 27a, and 13d.
    Many thanks to Rufus and to Libellule.

26. Maggie
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

Just finished this one – busy week. Confused by putting in Gaschamber at 27a – it seems I was the only one – fooled by the Parliamentary reference :).