Toughie 1056

Toughie No 1056 by Shamus

15-Letter Anagram Day

BD Rating – Difficulty ***Enjoyment ****

I was obviously not on good anagram-solving form this morning because I made heavy weather of 3 of the 4 long anagrams. As a result this puzzle took me longer than it should have done. I suspect that anyone who solved these anagrams quickly would have found this to be a fairly simple puzzle.

8a    Distinct group almost infiltrated by a painter (8)
{SEPARATE} A group of seven with the last letter removed goes round A painter (member of the Royal Academy)

9a    Missile made by revolutionary firm in Texas and Spain (6)
{EXOCET} A reversal (revolutionary) of an abbreviation denoting ‘firm’ inside a shortened form of Texas and the IVR for Spain

10a    Island club overlooking hotel (3)
{COS} A Greek island is a club with the letter H (hotel) removed

11a    Change in coaches one’s put out with official backing (8)
{TRANSFER} ‘Coaches’ with I (one) removed + a reversal of the official in a game of football

12a    What’s recalled in politician giving explanation (6)
{THEORY} A reversal of ‘What!’ inside a right-wing politician

13a    Repair decorator discharged for acquisitive type (9,6)
{CORPORATE RAIDER} An anagram (discharged) of REPAIR DECORATOR gives an individual who seeks to gain control of a business by acquiring a large proportion of its stock

15a    Line in badly finished work by yard showing irregular discolouring? (7)
{BLOTCHY} L (Line) in badly finished work + Y (yard)

18a    Plausible talk about a Northern toady (7)
{SPANIEL} Plausible talk goes round A N (Northern)

21a    Plain lot to touch a monk unexpectedly (3,4,2,4,2)
{NOT MUCH TO LOOK AT} An anagram (unexpectedly) of LOT TO TOUCH A MONK

24a    Islands capital captured in main assault (6)
{NASSAU} The capital of the Bahamas is hidden in maiN ASSAUlt

25a    Fantastic church defending a work of a charity (8)
{OUTREACH) ‘Fantastic’ (5) + A + an abbreviation denoting ‘church’

26a    Rent in Yorkshire place that’s not feasible (3)
{RIP} Remove a 2-letter word meaning ‘feasible’ from the end of the name of a cathedral city in Yorkshire

27a    Offensive characteristic of harmony Spice Girl dropped (6)
{ODIOUS} Remove Scary or Sporty Spice from the beginning of a word meaning ‘characteristic of harmony’

28a    Revolutionary individual originally associated with top duke, one avoiding struggle (8)
{PACIFIST} A reversal of I (first letter of individual) and ‘top’ + duke (but not a nobleman)

1d    What bachelor did to restrain Irish eccentric (6)
{WEIRDO} The bachelor married nobody. Put a short form of ‘married nobody’ round IR (Irish)

2d    Cold milk held up? It’s addictive to a feline (6)
{CATNIP} A reversal of C (cold) and a quantity of milk you were urged to drink each day

3d    Factor superhero represented as a normal occurrence (3,3,3,6)
{PAR FOR THE COURSE} An anagram (represented) of FACTOR SUPERHERO

4d    Hide in part of Mediterranean island furthest from European heartland? (7)
{SECRETE} The south-east part of the Mediterranean island is the part furthest from the European heartland

5d    Cosmetic party activity? Tories plug site devised to cover Conservative (7,8)
{GESTURE POLITICS} An anagram (devised) of TORIES PLUG SITE round C (Conservative) gives activity aimed primarily at satisfying public opinion

6d    Wise, possibly, counter argument seen around print and TV (8)
{COMEDIAN} The Wise is Ernie Wise. A counter argument goes round ‘print and TV’

7d    Salesman getting a lot of ridicule, day before suspension (8)
{REPRIEVE} A salesman + a 3-letter word for ‘to ridicule’ with the last letter removed + the day before

14d    Disorder curtailed in port (3)
{RIO} Remove the last letter from ‘disorder’

16d    Artist becoming fat and round having been around long time (8)
{LEONARDO} A type of fat and O (round) round a long time

17d    Journalists on Telegraph rival getting appointment for TV programme? (4,4)
{TIME SLOT} When split (5,3) this could be the journalists on another national daily newspaper

19d    Bother type having switch of direction (3)
{IRK} ‘To bother’ = a type with L (left) changed to R (right)

20d    Obstreperous agent consuming drink after promotion (7)
{STROPPY} A secret agent goes round a reversal of an alcoholic drink

22d    Unique act implied by a player getting red card? (3-3)
{ONE-OFF} A player getting a red card is an individual who has to leave the pitch

23d    Speak first to soprano in upcoming musical work, ignoring volunteers (6)
{ACCOST} S (first letter of soprano) inside a reversal of a musical work after removal of TA (Territorial Army = volunteers)

Enjoyable

Posted September 26, 2013 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

3*/4* for me too. A couple of the long anagrams held me up as well, but once i got those, the rest fell into place very nicely.
    Many thanks to Shamus, and to Bufo for the notes.

2. the dodger
    Posted September 26, 2013 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

Easiest one of the week so far, especially if you get the four long anagrams; I did need clarification for 1dn and I find spaniel for toady in 18 ac a calumny upon the noblest and most loyal of dogs, until I checked the dictionary and see that its origins refer to the Spanish. in which case it’s just racist abuse- so that’s alright then.

3. BigBoab
    Posted September 26, 2013 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

Not the most difficult Shamus toughie but nevertheless quite enjoyable. Thanks to Shamus and to Bufo for the review.

4. WhirredPLAY
    Posted September 26, 2013 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

I found this easier than most toughies – some answers were worked out only because I had filled in the odd letters from other clues – but 1d annoys me as a clue – I had no idea why the ‘o’ was supposed to be on the end, and now that I know why I’m not impressed.

5. Pegasus
    Posted September 26, 2013 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

Gentle fare on offer today, favourites were 1d 10a and 17d thanks to Shamus and to Bufo for the comments.

Posted September 26, 2013 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Shamus and Bufo. Very enjoyable, just needed the hints for 6d & 18a. Favourites were 2&16d. Was 3*/3* for me.

Posted September 26, 2013 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

I got stuck with lots in the right hand side, not helped by being completely unable to do the 21a and 5d anagrams.
    I enjoyed what I managed.
    With thanks to Shamus and bufo.

Posted September 26, 2013 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

Our first thought was “Four long multi-word anagrams – this should be easy” but that did not prove to be the case as three of these took a bit of time to yield. A bit of a grind shuffling all the bits and pieces together, but got there in the end. Enjoyed it.
    Thanks Shamus and Bufo.

9. andy
    Posted September 26, 2013 at 10:51 pm | Permalink

My first thoughts were heck what a busy grid and there must be a Nina around the edges. Like Jezza 3 / 4 * . I’m going to admit 19d was my last in as I simply could not parse it. Ridiculous in retrospect. Cheers Bufo and Shamus

10. Only fools
    Posted September 27, 2013 at 12:30 am | Permalink

Thanks Bufo for the explanation and to Shamus for an enjoyable puzzle. determined to solve the anagrams before the rest which helped enormously .fav 1d .

11. Outnumbered
    Posted September 28, 2013 at 6:37 pm | Permalink

This seemed quite straightforward, the preponderance of anagrams helping a lot. ***/****

12. Catnap
    Posted October 1, 2013 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

As I like Shamus’ puzzles, I thought I’d try this, especially after seeing comments like ‘gentle fare’, ‘easier than most’ and such like… I found it a very difficult but very enjoyable challenge! It has taken me absolute ages, on and off since last Thursday! The SW corner went in quite quickly, and from then on I battled. Two of the big anagrams (21a and 3d) I found straightforward; the other two definitely not so, but I did eventually work them out. I needed the answers for 18a and 6d, both of which completely eluded me, particularly the allusion to Ernie Wise. I did eventually succeed in getting the right answers for the remainder, but I very much needed Bufo’s elucidations for 10a; the ‘he’ in 12a; for 1d; for 2d (with my name, of course I knew the answer! but didn’t twig onto the ‘pint’); the ‘ri’ in 7a; and for 19d. And although ‘one avoiding struggle’ plus the checking letters gave me the answer, I still don’t get 28a. :oops: The clues I liked the most were 16d and 23d. Overall enjoyment ****.
    Thank you both very much, Shamus and Bufo.

• Jezza
      Posted October 1, 2013 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

The wordplay to 28a is a reversal (revolutionary) of I (the first letter of individual) and CAP (a word meaning the same as ‘top’), and followed by FIST (duke being a slang word for hand or fist).

• Catnap
        Posted October 1, 2013 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much, Jezza. I hadn’t heard of ‘duke’ being a slang word for ‘fist’. I now see how the whole clue works. Incidentally, I have just mentioned this slang word to Mr Catnap, who spontaneously replied, ‘Put up your dukes’! He thinks it’s a term used by Georgette Heyer (or was it Jeffrey Farnol?). Pity I can’t draw Mr Catnap away from the Quickies into the Cryptics!

• 2Kiwis
          Posted October 1, 2013 at 8:05 pm | Permalink

Keep working on him Catnap. We find that team solving really adds to the enjoyment. :)

• Catnap
            Posted October 2, 2013 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

I’m trying, but he won’t budge! :sad:

• Posted October 1, 2013 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

As Mr Catnap realises, it’s usually “dukes” in the plural for “fists”. Apparently it’s rhyming slang – Duke of Yorks for forks/fingers.

• Catnap
            Posted October 2, 2013 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much, Big Dave. We Catnaps have both been wondering what the original source might have been. Brewer’s Phrase & Fable contains an entry for: ‘‘To meet one in the Duke’s Walk ‘, meaning ‘to fight a duel’. It says that ‘Duke’s Walk near Holyrood Palace was the favourite promenade of the Duke of York’, and it — and also ‘the fields behind the site of the British Museum’ — became ‘the common rendezvous for settling “affairs of honour” ‘. This seems to fit in with the rhyming slang, so maybe this is how the word was derived?