Prize Puzzle – August 2013

Monthly Prize Puzzle No 15 (August 2013) by Alchemi

+ – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – +

Why not have a go at our latest Monthly Prize Puzzle?  The winner will receive their choice of any of the Telegraph Crossword Books published by Hamlyn.

Please note that, due to punitive postal charges, while the competition is open to all, the prize is only available to UK solvers.

A review will follow after the closing date (17th August 2013).

MPP - 15

The puzzle is available by clicking on the above grid.

I’ve left this post open for comments, but if you don’t want your comment to be deleted then avoid asking for or giving help with the clues.

1. KiwiColin
    Posted August 3, 2013 at 10:37 am | Permalink

That was fun. Hope I got it right. The puzzle itself was not too tricky so hope that there are heaps and heaps of entries this month.
    Thanks Alchemi.

Posted August 3, 2013 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

Phew! I thought it was quite tricky but maybe not Alchemi at his most devious.
    Absolutely never, ever heard of 30a – ‘invented’ it in desperation and it’s in BRB.
    Next problem is how to interpret the instructions . . .
    I enjoyed this very much so thanks to Alchemi.

• KiwiColin
      Posted August 3, 2013 at 7:54 pm | Permalink

Same for me with 30a.
      Now you are round to the ‘interesting’ stage of the puzzle. Good luck.

Perhaps we should make it a joint project to encourage others to try this one? It really is good and Dave goes to a lot of trouble to supply it for us.
      Cheers

• stanXYZ
        Posted August 3, 2013 at 8:17 pm | Permalink

1 Kiwi, I agree … a very enjoyable puzzle … everyone should have a go!

Thanks to Alchemi!

8d – very devious indeed! :smile:

Posted August 3, 2013 at 9:45 pm | Permalink

Yes – 8d was my last but one. I thought that I was the only one who, in total ignorance, called a goalpost that to distinguish it from the other kind. Maybe it’s what it’s called – maybe I’ve said too much and will be rubbed out!
          Go on everyone else – have a go!

3. Only fools
    Posted August 4, 2013 at 12:35 am | Permalink

Thanks Alchemi ,Favourite clue 30a which as others was last one in ,but so well clued .In fact I struggled a little with the SW corner generally but no fault of yours !
    Look forward to your next puzzle .

Posted August 4, 2013 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

Slow start, then steady progress. 30A is in common usage here, so no problem. 8D I was unfamiliar with but worked out then confirmed with Google. Lots to like, but 19A has to be favorite because it reminded me of something long forgotten. Many thanks to Virgiliu for another fun puzle and to BD for the review

• Alchemi
      Posted August 4, 2013 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

I’m not Virgilius, you know.

• Expat Chris
        Posted August 4, 2013 at 7:56 pm | Permalink

Oops. Sorry. Senior moment. Covered all over with embarrassment now.

5. pommers
    Posted August 4, 2013 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

Thanks Alchemi, I really enjoyed that one :grin: Not too tricky but I’m still not sure I’ve got the answer right! Have to wait and see.

Favs were 1d, 8d, 1a and 30a.

Looking forwaed to your next puzzle. Unfortunately I missed your last one in the Indy :sad:

Posted August 4, 2013 at 8:09 pm | Permalink

PS I’ve changed my mind – I said that I didn’t think this was Alchemi at his most devious. The actual crossword ie getting the answers wasn’t but I think the instructions are where his deviousness is shown. I’m completely at sea . . .

• KiwiColin
      Posted August 4, 2013 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

I said it was ‘interesting’. Perservate Kath, it will come.
      Cheers.

Posted August 4, 2013 at 10:35 pm | Permalink

I still think that there are loads of different permutations so perhaps it’s not a question of ‘perservation’ – just a right (face value, perhaps) and numerous wrongs. Don’t mind – it was really good fun, and still is – still arguing with husband about it! :roll:

Posted August 4, 2013 at 10:36 pm | Permalink

Cats and pigeons spring to mind . . .

• Alchemi
        Posted August 4, 2013 at 10:43 pm | Permalink

After Pommers confessed to having got the answer in the vice-presidents’ puzzle without having had to complete the grid, I’ve resolved to make sure that in one of my MPPs the game actually proves you’ve completed at least most of the puzzle correctly. So if your answer doesn’t depend on the completed grid, it’s wrong.

• pommers
          Posted August 5, 2013 at 12:16 am | Permalink

I’d got the answer in this one with 5 still to do – but had to complete them just in case another came up! I could see a couple of possibilities.

• Vigo
          Posted August 6, 2013 at 9:52 pm | Permalink

Really enjoyed this. Favourites were 13, 15, 31, 2(love the definition), 4, 6, 21 and 22.

7. Toro
    Posted August 4, 2013 at 11:58 pm | Permalink

Good fun, and worth tackling if you haven’t done so already!

8. KiwiColin
    Posted August 5, 2013 at 12:58 am | Permalink

I have just rechecked the grid and find that I had over-looked something. Have submitted another entry but quite expect that it could be disqualified as a second attempt. Teach me to not just double check but triple check!

• Toro
      Posted August 5, 2013 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

It’s easy to overlook one or two…

• KiwiColin
        Posted August 5, 2013 at 8:25 pm | Permalink

Posted August 6, 2013 at 10:42 pm | Permalink

. . . or more!

9. andy
    Posted August 6, 2013 at 11:02 pm | Permalink

there is no correct answer as far as I can see, too many permutations . Solving the puzzle ,******** [too much information BD] ? BTW I really enjoyed this, just saying

• Only fools
      Posted August 6, 2013 at 11:26 pm | Permalink

I have only 3 possible permutations and therefore 3 possible answers each of which may prove to be way off the mark based on my track record !
      Bit of fun though I’m just glad to solve the puzzle .

• pommers
      Posted August 6, 2013 at 11:48 pm | Permalink

I even looked across the rows/ columns with no lights!

• Posted August 7, 2013 at 12:45 am | Permalink

Please don’t discuss this until after the closing date.

10. Senf
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 12:42 am | Permalink

At last, I have finished an MPP. Even though I can’t get the books if I am drawn out of the electronic hat first (living in the USA), I submitted my entry as a form of celebration. But then, I have just realised that I messed up the answer to the question. Oh well, still a lot of satisfaction at completing the puzzle.

11. jezza
    Posted August 12, 2013 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

Gentle enough to complete, but as others have said, more than one possible answer depending on the rules of the game! I’ll think a little longer before I submit.
    Thanks to Alchemi for the enjoyment.

• Posted August 12, 2013 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

You need the fully completed grid to be able to work out the answer.

• jezza
        Posted August 12, 2013 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

I submitted my stab in the dark a little while ago. :)