ST 2701 (Hints)

Sunday Telegraph Cryptic No 2701 (Hints)

Hints and tips by Big Dave

Could new readers please read the Welcome post and the FAQ before asking questions about the site.

Most of the terms used in these hints are explained in the Glossary and examples are available by clicking on the entry under “See also”.  Definitions are underlined in the clues.

1a           British antique, fine and excellent — type it’s hard to miss (8)
B(ritish) followed by a three-letter word meaning antique, F(ine) and a word meaning excellent gives a type used in printing

11a         Extremely angry Peruvian might claim this (12)
Split as (5,7) this could describe what a peruvian might claim to have

15a         Exemplary worker from the city of Paris (6)
A double definition – an exemplary worker and someone from the same city as Paris, the son of Priam

17a         Cautious husband being driven barmy, ultimately (5)
H(usband) inside a vehicle (being driven) followed by the final letter (ultimately) of barmY

18a         Problem as stated, more or less (4)
Sounds like (as stated) a problem

21a         Half-century for opener as score changes game (8)
The Roman numeral for half of a century precedes (for opener) an anagram (changes) of AS SCORE

23a         Far-sightedness about diamonds I included in share calculation (4,8)
Far-sightedness (4,6) around D(iamonds) and I

28a         Testing how pearl of wisdom may pass into posterity (8)
Split the answer into (2,6) and this could be how an adage or pearl of wisdom may pass into posterity

2d           Work for orchestra and choir or a small group around band (8)
The OR and A from the clue followed by a small group of musicians around O (band)

3d           Considering adding carpeting to foodstore (12)
A verb meaning carpeting or severely reprimanding preceded by (adding … to) a foodstore

4d           Bird turned over eggs etc when disturbed (6)
Reverse (turned over) some eggs and follow them with an anagram (when disturbed) of ETC

6d           Commander using minimal force in powerful way (8)
A Commanding Officer followed by an adjective meaning using minimal force

16d         Perfect female not bound by regulations (8)
F(emal( followed by an adjective meaning not bound by regulations

17d         Assembled in a ring round politician (8)
An adjective meaning in a ring around the usual politician

19d         Elephant-like creature creating small commotion, trapped by guy (8)
S(mall) and a commotion (2,2) inside a guy or chap

24d         Common sense from them? On the contrary (4)
Split as (2,2) this could mean the opposite (on the contrary) of them

25d         Insular part of Scotland held by Nationalists (4)
Hidden (held) inside the clue

If you need further help then please ask and I will see what I can do.

As this is a Prize crossword, please don’t put WHOLE or PARTIAL ANSWERS or ALTERNATIVE CLUES in your comment, else they may be censored!

Today it’s Happy Birthday to Paloma Faith (28), Jaime Murray (36) and Kay Starr (91)

1. Derek
    Posted July 21, 2013 at 11:16 am | Permalink

Hi BD! Knocked this one off. Faves : 1a, 11a, 15a, 28a, 3d, 4d, 6d &19d.

2. jezza
    Posted July 21, 2013 at 11:17 am | Permalink

My answer to 17a had me scratching my head for a while :)
    Many thanks to Virgilius for the usual Sunday morning pleasure, and to BD for the hints.

Posted July 21, 2013 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

I agree. I needed the hint to know why

Posted July 21, 2013 at 11:23 am | Permalink

Thank you Virgilius – enjoyable as usual – particularly amused by 11a. Thanks for the hints BD. Glad you put up a hint for 17a – like Jezza, a bit puzzled by this one, although the answer seemed obvious. Off to Tatton Park Picnic concert this pm to hear Katherine Jenkins – again ! So all recording equipment will be needed for The Open, Lords and T de F. !

4. mary
    Posted July 21, 2013 at 11:37 am | Permalink

Morning Dave another lovely day but slightly cooler which suits me, after finishing this (without hints) I wondered why I struggled on some clues, 19d, I hadn’t heard of but most of the other clues were quite easily worked out, lots I liked today but no stand out favourite, maybe 10a if I had to choose :-)

Posted July 21, 2013 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

Still cloudy but muggier – I would imagine that on the Thanet coast people won’t be able to see much given the amount of sea mist coming across the marshes to our side of the ‘border’. Still haven’t got time to be in the sun anyway as we picked 10lb of raspberries this morning so jam making and the cakes of the day for the NC are some chocolate and raspberry muffins. Now Mr CS is threatening me with the gooseberries and then the cherries are nearly ripe… it’s all go here!

• Rabbit Dave
        Posted July 21, 2013 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

I don’t know if my replies to Brian qualify me for the NC today, but, looking at the delights on offer, I do hope so!

Posted July 21, 2013 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

Unfortunately for you, your hints are just that and not naughty at all – we just had a still warm muffin with some raspberries and cream for pudding. Delish! Now we’ve just got to resist the other 16!

Posted July 21, 2013 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

OMG, all my favourites and you must live in a veritable Eden. I am so envious, as I head for the supermarket to “harvest” some that have probably been in transit for a week or two.

Posted July 21, 2013 at 6:04 pm | Permalink

just under half an acre – we have a greenhouse with cucumbers, tomatoes, aubergines, a veg patch with courgettes, beans, artichokes, garlic, onions, sweetcorn, broadbeans, and so on (had asparagus earlier in the year) also a fruit cage with raspberries, strawberries, gooseberries and blueberries and a large cherry tree. Also four hives of bees. It is very nice but all the stuff tends to come at once.

Posted July 21, 2013 at 6:22 pm | Permalink

Take raspberries ( with other berries if you choose) and put in a bowl. Mix Greek yoghurt with a little agave nectar and spread on top. Put in fridge overnight. So tasty, and you can top with a little cream to tart it up.

• mary
            Posted July 21, 2013 at 7:04 pm | Permalink

Sounds like heaven sue :-)

5. stanXYZ
    Posted July 21, 2013 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

Last one in – the Paris one.

Hopefully, Mark Cavendish will not be misdirected en route to the Champs-Élysées this evening as much as I was by this clue!

Do’h … Zut Alors!

6. Colmce
    Posted July 21, 2013 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

Struggled a bit with this one, but as always the answers are there if you ferret about.
    Very enjoyable.

Thanks to BD for the hints.

Thanks to the setter.

7. Rod Ash
    Posted July 21, 2013 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

As others I was held up by 17a……otherwise entertaining but doable.

Posted July 21, 2013 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

Nice crossword for a Sunday but could someone explain 7d and 22d. Have an answer for both but can’t follow the wordplay at all.
    Nice misdirection for 15a.
    Thx to all.

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted July 21, 2013 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

Brian, for 7d “finshes off” – look at the last letters of the next four words

• Rabbit Dave
        Posted July 21, 2013 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

22d say the word sea (“we hear”) and follow it by a word meaning “gets higher”

Posted July 21, 2013 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

I got to bed this morning at 4.30 following my stepson’s 40th birthday party so I was rather slow today with both a late start and a befuddled brain.

In the end I found this a most enjoyable challenge, with too many excellent clues to list them all, but I particularly liked 17a (like several others my last one in), 15a, and, my favourite, 11a. My rating today is 3* for difficulty and 4* for enjoyment :grin:

Many thanks to Virgilius and to BD for the review, which I needed to explain the wordplay for my answer for 25a ( why on earth I couldn’t see that I don’t know) and for 19d which I had spelled wrongly trying to make ado fit for commotion.

10. una
    Posted July 21, 2013 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

stuck on 20a ??

Posted July 21, 2013 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

State positively is the definition. Put between A and another word for company the abbreviation used to show that you should place a piece of music loudly.

• una
        Posted July 21, 2013 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

Thanks, CS, I don’t know why that took me so long.Thanks to Virgilius and BD. Overcast here, but we’re hoping the heatwavve will return shortly. Favourite 11a. My parents had many gooseberry bushes in their garden until one year they were attacked by a plague of caterpillars. Good luck with the fruit picking ! Wish I was there to help !

Posted July 21, 2013 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

So do I!

Posted July 21, 2013 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Virgilius and to Big Dave for the hints. Struggled with this today, but most enjoyable. Needed the hints for 6d & 15a. Favourite was 11a. Was 3*/3* for me. Might go to Lords tomorrow if they don’t wrap it up today.

Posted July 22, 2013 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

Didn’t have time to even look at this yesterday – like CS spent the whole day picking gooseberries, cherries, tayberries and red currants – unlike CS I refuse to deal with it all in really hot weather so freeze it and will make jam etc in the autumn.
    Lovely puzzle for a very hot Monday afternoon.
    I didn’t have too many problems with this one. 22d was one of my last as I had the wrong answer (which I couldn’t explain anyway) for 28a. I was also a bit dim about understanding the ‘why’ of 17a.
    I liked 11a and 3d. My favourite was 24d.
    With thanks to Virgilius and BD.