Hints and tips by Libellule

BD Rating – Difficulty *** Enjoyment ***

Scorchio! I don’t know why, but I struggled with the top left hand corner today, hence the three stars for difficulty. 13d was a new word (in that context) for me, but overall a pleasant solve, as you would expect on a Monday.

1. None left unharmed (3,5)
{ALL RIGHT} – Nobody sustained any injury because nobody remained on the left side.

6. Sound record of a pupil’s progress (6)
{REPORT} – Double definition, an explosive noise, or a statement of a students grades and ability.

9. Operatic heroine that is at heart betrayed (6)
{ISOLDE} – An Irish princess who had a love affair with Tristan is constructed by placing within the outer two letters I and E, a word that means to have given up or surrendered something for a price or reward.

10. Preparing for exam? That makes a change! (8)
{REVISION} – Double definition, the process of reading notes for a subject, or correcting a new issue of a book or article etc.

11. Make little trick to attract slow-witted (8)
{CONDENSE} – The definition is to “make little”, take a three letter slang term for a swindle, and then add another word that means slow to understand or thick-headed.

12. Vice produces record-breaking tax (6)
{DEPUTY} – Place a type of record inside another word for a government levy, to get the sort of vice who is typically second in command. (Nick Clegg?).

13. Stranded travellers’ friend may be barred at inns (5,7)
{SAINT BERNARD} – A type of dog is also an anagram (may be) of BARRED AT INNS.

16. Upset due to threats, but resolute (5-7)
{STOUT HEARTED} – An anagram (upset) of DUE TO THREATS.

19. In the middle of morning I had to lead way (6)
{AMIDST} – AM (morning) ID (I had) and an abbreviation for a type of thoroughfare.

21. Absconding child constitutes misconduct (6-2)
{GOINGS-ON} – If split (5,3) then a phrase usually used to describe actions or behaviour usually regarded with disapproval, could also describe a male child leaving somewhere.

23. Compensation concerning a quilt that’s ruined (8)
{REQUITAL} – A prepostion that means with reference to, is followed by an anagram (that’s ruined) of A QUILT.

24. Programme info in commercial article (6)
{AGENDA} – Place a word for general information, inside an abbreviated form of advertisement and then add A (article).

25. Subordinate gives name and number (6)
{NETHER} – A word that means located beneath or below is N (name) followed by an anaesthetic.

26. Holding back from putting the king under threat (8)
{CHECKING} – The condition of stopping or restraining something, could also describe what you would do in chess.

2. An example of reduced activity? (6)
{LESSON} – Something that imparts wisdom or knowledge, could also describe (when split 4,2) a period of time when you might have reduced work.

3. Directed — in a straight line? (5)
{RULED} – Governed, or to mark in a straight line.

4. Time and place (9)
{GREENWICH} – The site of the original Royal Observatory in London through which passes the prime meridian.

5. Flood discloses gold in a river (7)
{TORRENT} – Put OR (gold) inside a river that rises in Staffordshire, and then flows through Nottingham on its way to the Humber.

6. Went abroad from Dover (5)
{ROVED} – An anagram (from) DOVER.

7. Put off, but not deterred? (9)
{POSTPONED} – To cancel or delay something until a future time.

8. Birds requiring love entered in lists (8)
{ROOSTERS} – Place O inside lists of names to get adult male chickens.

13. Old-time prospector’s gone off with money (9)
{SOURDOUGH} – An early settler or prospector in North Western America or Canada, is made up from a word that describes something that is rancid or bad, and a slang term for money.

14. Free extract — i.e. that will be broadcast (9)
{EXTRICATE} – An anagram (that will be broadcast) EXTRACT IE.

15. Impressed by Eastern flight (8)
{STAMPEDE} – A word that means to be imprinted with a mark, is followed by an E (Eastern) for the sort of flight you might see in panic stricken animals.

17. Unusually nice gal — divine! (7)
{ANGELIC} – An anagram (unusually) of NICE GAL.

18. Vacant court room? (6)
{WOODEN} – A word that can describe being bereft of spirit or animation, is a word for seeking the affection of a woman, and then a small, comfortable and secluded room.

20. Disaster coming up? About time one learned from one (5)
{TUTOR} – Reverse (coming up) a word for an overwhelming defeat around T (time).

22. Tongue of land between Italy and Turkey (5)
{GREEK} – The language that you would be most likely to hear spoken in Athens.

Today’s Quickie Pun: {SAILOR} + {RETURN} = {SALE OR RETURN}

1. Paul Smith
    Posted July 8, 2013 at 10:05 am | Permalink

Well, you seem to have a totally different puzzle from my IPAD edition, so I am completely flummoxed!

• Dickiedot
      Posted July 8, 2013 at 10:13 am | Permalink

Just as flummoxed as you

• Zeet Scooter
        Posted July 8, 2013 at 10:16 am | Permalink

Same here, even more puzzled than usual and it’s already 32 degrees here in Cyprus

• Zeet Scooter
          Posted July 8, 2013 at 10:18 am | Permalink

If you look at the small crossword that’s called 27224 and the Cryptic 264. Strange

• JohnY
            Posted July 9, 2013 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

Hi, Please excuse if somebody has pointed this out, but what you have there is the Telegraph Puzzle site Monday prize cryptic.
            It’s normally on the easy side – what you’d call a * I suppose. I haven’t heard of the anagram novel either.

Does anyone else do this one? I’d love to see a review on here, as there are usually one or two answers I could do with an explanation for.

• Catherine Rowland
      Posted July 8, 2013 at 9:01 pm | Permalink

Same here how annoying

2. Colmce
    Posted July 8, 2013 at 10:18 am | Permalink

Yep, once again the Telegraph have put a different puzzle on the Ipad and the dead wood. Cryptic 246.

On that puzzle 14d and 20a are causing me grief.

Would some body be kind enough to email the proper puzzle?

• Zeet Scooter
      Posted July 8, 2013 at 10:20 am | Permalink

It a Novel called ??????. I think it’s an anagram of BANDLIKESOUZO. D????? Z??????. I have no idea

• Michael
        Posted July 8, 2013 at 10:31 am | Permalink

My anagram program came up with a novel by Max Beerbohm – I have never heard of it!

• Dandy
      Posted July 8, 2013 at 10:26 am | Permalink

Yes it’s an anagram of band likes ouzo – very obscure, Id never heard of it, but managed to work it out from the checking letters….

• Paul Smith
      Posted July 8, 2013 at 10:33 am | Permalink

… and I am struggling with 11a, 2d and 6d on the IPAD edition.

Got the first word of 11a, I think

• Dandy
        Posted July 8, 2013 at 11:18 am | Permalink

Are you OK, or do you still need help?

• Paul Smith
          Posted July 8, 2013 at 11:50 am | Permalink

any tips welcome, please:)

• Dandy
            Posted July 8, 2013 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

11a – what you might feel after an earth quake or an explosion
            2d – the clue is Welsh town – how a lot of Welsh towns start, also only one vowel in it!
            6d – female author, the first name is the same as the Baggins’ that Bilbo didn’t like, the second is a direction

• Paul Smith
              Posted July 8, 2013 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

Thanks ever so much. Cracked it now. Thought about the town. The writer was totally unknown to me. More eductation!

• Dandy
                Posted July 8, 2013 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

You’re welcome. Took me a while to figure the wordplay on the town, but then I saw the wall!

Posted July 8, 2013 at 10:37 am | Permalink

Its on its way

• Colmce
      Posted July 8, 2013 at 10:40 am | Permalink

Thanks all, my inbox is drowning under PDFs of today’s puzzle.

3. Michael
    Posted July 8, 2013 at 10:26 am | Permalink

Very good – I needed a little help in the top left corner, once I got over trying to get AIDA into 9a and got the correct answer it all fell into place.

Thanks to all!

4. Posted July 8, 2013 at 10:46 am | Permalink

I am struggling with this one. Off to the Lake Didtrict for a few days Walking (limping) so all the time in the world. My brain will not lock in.

• slartibartfast
      Posted July 8, 2013 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

Wear two pairs of socks, that way no blisters

5. Colmce
    Posted July 8, 2013 at 10:53 am | Permalink

Normal service resumed, another nice Monday puzzle which didn’t present too many problems. Particularly liked 6d as that was what I was doing over the weekend!

Thanks to the people who sent me the proper puzzle.

Thanks to Libellule for a splendid review.

Thanks to Rufus.

6. Zeet Scooter
    Posted July 8, 2013 at 10:54 am | Permalink

Struggling today grrrrrrr

Posted July 8, 2013 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

Me too, have three left and have to go out

Posted July 8, 2013 at 11:06 am | Permalink

Either this was a bit more challenging than the usual Monday offering or I was just the second half of 11A this morning. A slow start and I was left with three that stumped me (11A, 13A and 25A) all of which, in retrospect, were very solvable. I did like 12A, 19A an 18D in particular. Thanks to the setter and once again to Libellule for the (for me on USA time) nice early review.

8. una
    Posted July 8, 2013 at 11:15 am | Permalink

An interesting and occasionally challenging puzzle.Sourdough a new one on me !Needed hints for 20d and 25a.Favourite ? lots and lots , maybe 21a. Thanks to Rufus and Libellule.

Posted July 8, 2013 at 11:26 am | Permalink

I agree with Libellule’s rating of ***/***. I found the SW corner the hardest partly because I forgot (again) the other meaning of number for 25a which intersected with 13d, which in turn was a complete mystery to me until I looked at Libellule’s hints.

Many thanks to Rufus and Libellule.

Posted July 8, 2013 at 11:29 am | Permalink

Maybe a little trickier than normal for a Monday, but none the worse for that. Enjoyed it all.
    Thanks Rufus and Libellule.

11. Beaver
    Posted July 8, 2013 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

Thought this was hard for a Monday, well it was for me; glad Libellule gave it a ***,makes me feel less inadequate , also agree with a*** enjoyment.SE corner took too long ,but I can blame The Lions and Mr Murray for a small libation last evening and lack of razor sharpness today-roll on the ashes!

12. Bluebird
    Posted July 8, 2013 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

I often seem to be the opposite of you hint guys, in that I managed this one all on my own….
    despite a bad night’s sleep
    For once, I enjoyed the diversionary synonyms, e.g. ” court”, “number”.

Got 9a once I had the S and the L(which helped a lot with 4d.

I also had never heard of sourdough in that context, but it seemed to fit, so in it went.

Off to erect a cheap greenhouse (but I prob won’t stand in it for very long today…..)

Hope everyone that likes this weather is enjoying it! What a pleasure it is not to have to get up and drive 25m to work any more.

Posted July 8, 2013 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

All those people who normally object to my views on crossword difficulty will be pleased to know that I thought this was the hardest Rufus for some time, definitely 3* difficulty.

I did like the quick pun.

Thanks to Rufus and Libellule.

• Caravaggio
      Posted July 9, 2013 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

I’m glad that you posted that comment, Sue, because I started the puzzle yesterday afternoon, put the paper to one side, picked it up again this afternoon and have only just finished it… I’m blaming the weather.

14. williamus
    Posted July 8, 2013 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

A thoroughly enjoyable puzzle from the maestro, if slightly more challenging than is usual for Monday? Some clever wordplay and humour which I do so enjoy from Rufus. 17d and 23a were new words for me and 25a a new usage. Thanks to Libellule too for the excellent review. Scorchio indeed…

15. Only fools
    Posted July 8, 2013 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

Very,very enjoyable and quite a contrast to the iPad version (how does that happen?)
    Same as 2K’s liked it all .
    Many thanks to Rufus and Libellule

16. Catherine
    Posted July 8, 2013 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

Also found this harder than usual for a Monday but very enjoyable to solve. I had “ing” as my ending on 10a for awhile but realised my mistake when I couldn’t think of a bird starting with r_n etc!
    Many thanks to Rufus and Libellule.

Posted July 8, 2013 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

Me too!

Posted July 8, 2013 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

And me with 10a until I got on to the down clues and 8d was fairly obvious.

• filby
        Posted July 8, 2013 at 7:51 pm | Permalink

I think the grammar of the clue would suit ‘preparation for’ rather than ‘preparing for’ for10a but that was the least of my problems! I fell for all the the misdirections. I really wanted 13d to be GOLDDIGGER but it wouldn’t fit!

Posted July 8, 2013 at 8:05 pm | Permalink

I only got it because I had the letters. I wanted to put pound in, but when I got the end d-u-h I knew it had to be dough! Then I had to google as I only knew it as bread in SFO. What a roundabout way of working a clue.

Posted July 8, 2013 at 9:24 pm | Permalink

I had FIVE of the letters, including the first, and I still couldn’t do it! :sad:

Posted July 8, 2013 at 9:25 pm | Permalink

PS – SFO? Or am I being really dim yet again?

• Expat Chris
              Posted July 8, 2013 at 11:25 pm | Permalink

S an F rancisc O? Although I’ve never heard that used by anyone over here before.

Posted July 9, 2013 at 12:20 am | Permalink

It’s airline city code. I am the product of 34 years of airline employment, the last being PamAm.

• wwjnr
      Posted July 9, 2013 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

Ditto – very annoying, 10a wrong and just couldn’t see 8d. Therefore unfinished.
      Have been away over a long weekend returning this morning. What could be better than Mondays telegraph and to finish the crossword during a coffee break. Hmm….

17. slartibartfast
    Posted July 8, 2013 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

Re 26a. Isn’t it unusual , or wrong even, to have a word from the clue present in the answer?

• Libellule
      Posted July 8, 2013 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

I don’t think its wrong, or even very unusual – for example today’s Rufus in the Guardian has a similar style clue. 24a Go back by air? (6)

• Bluebird
      Posted July 8, 2013 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

I think it would only be wrong if you were using ” king” in it’s discrete context, i.e. the word used as itself next to (or ‘under’) a word that meant threat.

But in this case ‘king is not being used in that way at all, although it would be tempting to do that as ‘king’ often does appear in clues. Rather, the whole clue is a double definition and wholly clean in my book.

18. neveracrossword
    Posted July 8, 2013 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

I’ve certainly heard of Z*****a D****n, but have never come across that meaning of 13d before.

Posted July 8, 2013 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

Zuleika Dobson.

19. Addicted
    Posted July 8, 2013 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

Agree about 26a – very odd. Would also comment that I thought 18d was a particularly nasty clue and, to my mind, is stretching things a bit too far to describe the answer as “vacant”. But I daresy that’s just me!

• Libellule
      Posted July 8, 2013 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

One of the meanings of wooden is:

without spirit, animation, or awareness.
      that seems to be a reasonable description for vacant too.

In fact a quick check in the thesaurus shows vacant as a synonym for wooden.

• Bluebird
      Posted July 8, 2013 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

Wooden as in Acting!

Posted July 8, 2013 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Rufus and Libellule for the review and hints. I enjoyed this one a lot, but it was tricky in places. Favourite was 9a, I got 13d ok, but had never heard of it in this context. Last in was 18d. Was 3″/3* for me. Blazing hot on Woolacombe beach at the moment. Well done to Andy Murray yesterday.

Posted July 8, 2013 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

Oh good – everyone seems to think this was tricky for a Rufus – thought it was me having my usual ‘Monday trouble’!
    I would give it 3* at least for difficulty and nearer 4* for enjoyment as I thought there were some really clever clues.
    I eventually gave up with 13d as I just wasn’t going to get it – I had the idea that it had to start with ‘sound’ and having got that into my head I couldn’t think of anything else – silly really!
    Lots of these have taken ages – too many to put them all down – 25a was my last answer and 4d was second to last.
    You’ll all get bored if I put down all the clues that I liked so will, for once, limit myself to a few – 9 and 21a and 15 and 22d.
    With thanks to Rufus and Libellule.
    Very hot – everything in the garden has gone a bit flopsy bunny. :sad:

22. Derek
    Posted July 8, 2013 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

The usual enjoyable Monday puzzle from The Jolly Roger!

Faves : 9a, 11a, 12a, 23a, 2d, 4d, 13d & 18d.

Tomorrow, I am invited chez my daughter’s to celebrate their 25th. wedding anniversary and I shall stay overnight so may miss blogging tomorrow’s puzzle!
    Shall of course pick up the DT avant de partir chez eux! We shall most likely solve it ensemble!

Weather in NL is still magnificent!

Shall have to get fresh Talisker tomorrow morning as just about cleared the stock while watching Andy’s activities at SW19!

23. Poppy
    Posted July 8, 2013 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

Thank you setter for a very enjoyable wrestle. Definitely the second part of 11a as I never worked out that ‘ing’ was not correct for 10a and so thank you Libellule for much needed hints. Very distressed robin in our garden calling for Poppy to come & chase cats away from its nest in a shed where at least two have hatched. All gone quiet so hope she wasn’t too late on patrol.

Posted July 8, 2013 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

I thought this was a very clever crossword but a real head scratcher. Definitely 3+ for difficulty and I really struggled. Needed the hints to get the answer to 9a, 3d and 2d, but were they really so difficult in retrospect?

Glad you’re all having summer at last. We are now into hurricane season, bummer. Thanks to setter and hinter, needed the help today to finish such an enjoyable puzzle.

Posted July 8, 2013 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

Only one word for this, HORRID!
    Think DT mixed up the Toughie/back page envelopes again.
    **********/ * for me.

• Posted July 8, 2013 at 6:59 pm | Permalink

No chance – Rufus doesn’t set in the Toughie series.

• Roydo
        Posted July 8, 2013 at 7:31 pm | Permalink

One question from a new poster Dave; how do you know who the setter is each day? Is it the same every Monday for example, or the grid that gives it away?

• 2Kiwis
          Posted July 8, 2013 at 7:50 pm | Permalink

Click on FAQ at the top of this page. Scroll well down this page and all should become clear. (Look for a photo of many prople sitting around a table).
          Cheers.

Posted July 8, 2013 at 7:55 pm | Permalink

Sorry – you beat me to it. I knew it was somewhere! Summer has arrived in UK – you must be in the middle of winter.

• 2Kiwis
              Posted July 8, 2013 at 8:00 pm | Permalink

Yes we are. But now we are heading towards longer days and warmer weather so have grounds for optimism.

• Roydo
                Posted July 8, 2013 at 8:15 pm | Permalink

Cheers folks. Will take a look.

Posted July 8, 2013 at 7:53 pm | Permalink

As I’ve just seen this I could reply – or is that rude and should I leave it to BD? Maybe I will in case he’s out somewhere enjoying lovely weather.
          The same setter is responsible for Monday (Rufus) Wednesday (Jay) Friday (Giovanni) and Sunday (Virgilius). The rest vary a bit.
          I think that all this is somewhere at the top of the page – try the FAQ bit.
          Some people are REALLY smart and can spot a setter from the style or other give-away trade mark clues.

26. angel
    Posted July 8, 2013 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

Not my cup of tea! ****/**. Gave up on this one! Struggled with southeast corner so resorted to Libellule to finish hence thanks for that.

27. Collywobbles
    Posted July 8, 2013 at 6:52 pm | Permalink

I did struggle with this one which was more difficult for a Monday morning than usual but with the Lions win, Murrays’ win, Chris Froome ahead in the Tour and an improvement in the economy I can get over it.
    Many thanks Libellule for the hints which I used heavily and to Rufus for a ‘more difficult than usual’ puzzle.

28. BigBoab
    Posted July 8, 2013 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Rufus for a very enjoyable and not too difficult crossword and to Libellule for an excellent review.

29. Dick
    Posted July 8, 2013 at 7:08 pm | Permalink

The two different crosswords threw me completely today and as for that obscure novel on the iPad version, that’s just not cricket, deserves a kippering for that one.

• Posted July 8, 2013 at 7:20 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Dick

• Dick
        Posted July 8, 2013 at 8:57 pm | Permalink

Dave it’s a brilliant blog. Congratulations to you and all who make it so. I discovered it only last week when I punched a clue in to Google out of desperation. It has just the right level of help when you’ve reached that point in a puzzle when all hope seems lost. Also, it’s cathartic to find fellow sufferers out there.

Posted July 8, 2013 at 9:30 pm | Permalink

It is a brilliant blog. Crossword solving (or trying to) has never been such fun as it has been for the last three plus years ie since I found it.

30. Grumpy Andrew
    Posted July 8, 2013 at 9:23 pm | Permalink

What a dreadful edition of the Daily Telegraph. Entire front page – not just some, but all – given over to a story about people who hit a small ball over a net, and an aberration of a Monday crossword. Please can the rest of the week not be like this.

Posted July 8, 2013 at 9:33 pm | Permalink

Oh dear! I have to say that I thought it was a really clever crossword. I also thought it was quite difficult – was that what you didn’t like?

Posted July 8, 2013 at 9:41 pm | Permalink

I don’t know what it says about me, but at 7.30 this morning I looked at all the papers in the shop and actually thought Grumpy Andrew won’t like this. And that was before finding the crossword wasn’t in its rightful place.

Posted July 8, 2013 at 10:03 pm | Permalink

I’m not quite sure what it says about you either – how did you interpret it? :smile:
        How’s Alfie, not to mention the new parents?

• Expat Chris
      Posted July 8, 2013 at 11:20 pm | Permalink

I don”t want to add to your grumpiness, but…..WAY TO GO, MURRAY!! Great game. Terrific win. A real boost to British tennis. And the crossword was pretty darned good, too.

Posted July 9, 2013 at 12:24 am | Permalink

You said it! With knobs on

31. Maggie
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 12:40 am | Permalink

Done now – with help from Libellule of course. Thanks – much better than lying in bed not sleeping :).

32. Coconut
    Posted July 9, 2013 at 10:30 am | Permalink

Very hard for me. Had to wait for second stab this morning and resorting to (lots of) the hints.

Some nice wordplay in court and number (too clever by half!). But usage of Vice and Subordinate were new to me – let alone Sourdough. ;)

Posted July 10, 2013 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

Thank you Rufus, solved over breakfast, in the Birmingham traffic jam, over lunch and afternoon tea ! Found it quite tricky and ages before the penny dropped for 18d. Thank you Libellule for your review and confirmation of one or two answers.