ST 2695 (Hints)

Sunday Telegraph Cryptic No 2695 (Hints)

Hints and tips by Big Dave

Why not have a go at our June Prize puzzle?

Could new readers please read the Welcome post and the FAQ before asking questions about the site.

Most of the terms used in these hints are explained in the Glossary and examples are available by clicking on the entry under “See also”.  Definitions are underlined in the clues.

1a           One of many so-called religious leaders, pure and harmless (8)
One of Virgilius’s excellent triple definitions – so-called here is not derogatory; read it as “one of many religious leaders who were called by this name”

Pope Innocent I

9a           As source of help, a set of spiritual lessons? (8)
Split as (2,6) this could be a set of spiritual lessons

10a         Top way to make quick point in court about male (4)
… this court is a tennis court

11a         New multinational money to encourage skilled operator (12)
N(ew) followed by some multinational money that many countries are regretting they ever used and a phrasal verb meaning to encourage (4,2)

15a         Quantity that Richard fatally lacked (6)
If split (1,5) Richard III, according to Shakespeare, would have given his kingdom in exchange for this

17a         Writer of annuals, sort of (5)
A double definition – a famous writer and a sort of annual plant that can survive frosts

18a         River starts in tiny trickle, ends in great torrent? (4)
Combine the initial letters (starts) of Tiny Trickle and the final letters (ends) of greaT torrenT  and what do you get?

27a         Killer facing charges has to register with old lawyer, finally (8)
… it’s the bulls that charge this person

28a         Inclined to absorb a part of elementary education for this? (8)
A word meaning inclined around (to absorb) one of the three identical letters that are used to represent parts of elementary education

2d           Arrest European holding guy up in the Big Apple, for instance (8)
A slang word for arrest and E(uropean) around (holding) a guy reversed (up in a down clue)

5d           Piece of music encored in histrionic patriotism (4)
For those who aren’t very good at spotting hidden words there this one is present not once but two times (encored)

8d           Main themes in section of good book grasped by economist (8)
One part of the bible (good book) inside (grasped by) the economist who championed investment in infrastructure during a recession

12d         Like work of unacknowledged author, worth testing out (5-7)
An anagram (out) of WORTH TESTING

16d         Fellow-player is kind of tame, repeatedly (8)
An anagram (kind of) of TAME TAME (of tame, repeatedly)

19d         Vote in English lawsuit for enforcement of payment (8)
The letter used to indicate a vote between E(nglish) and a lawsuit

22d         Course from Spain — a long hop going North (6)
A Spanish dish is derived by reversing (going North in a down clue) A L(ong) and a hop or bound

25d         Bertrand Russell, for example, mostly ahead of his time? (4)
The title awarded to Bertrand Russell among others (for example) is most of a word meaning ahead of time

If you need further help then please ask and I will see what I can do.

Today it’s Happy Birthday to Natalie Portman (32) and Johnny Depp (50)

1. jezza
    Posted June 9, 2013 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

A very enjoyable puzzle. I doubt there will be many complaints of too difficult today.
    Many thanks to Virgilius, and to BD.

Posted June 9, 2013 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

Struggled a bit with this – possibly due to self inflicted damage last night. Liked 8d particularly. Thanks Virgilius and thank you BD for your hints. A quiet pm in the garden now !

Posted June 9, 2013 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

A steady solve today. Several “likes” but 1A came out ahead. Thanks to Virgilius and to BD for the review.

Posted June 9, 2013 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

Lovely puzzle. I thoroughly enjoyed this and my rating is ***/***

18a was a very clever clue and my favourite today with 13a a close second. 8d was my last one in simply because I was fixated about the other good book.

Many thanks to Virgilius and to BD

Posted June 9, 2013 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

Another very enjoyable Sunday puzzle.
    This was one of those that I found really difficult while I was doing it and now can’t see why I did. I got all the way down to 23a before I had a single answer.
    For once I didn’t have trouble spotting the hidden-in-the-middles but did manage to miss the anagram indicator in 12d.
    It took me ages to understand the ‘wave’ in 21a and I was slow with 10 and 18a and 8d – economists are yet another thing that I’m not too good with.
    My list of clues that I liked is far too long to put them all down so will just go for a couple of them – 17a and 14d.
    With thanks to Virgilius and BD.
    Overcast, chilly and windy again but off to the garden. :sad:

• Poppy
      Posted June 9, 2013 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

Oh Kath, thanks! I had got the answer to 21a without being able to understand wave, so your brilliant comment (don’t know how to do bold) saved my sanity… (Although Mr P isn’t so sure about that!)

Posted June 9, 2013 at 10:40 pm | Permalink

Doing bold is the same as doing italics (well, sort of) – you follow the instructions in the bit at the top – lots of and / and different letters but, somehow, it all seems to work! All far too clever for me!! :smile:
        Oh, and by the way, Dr K has always doubted my sanity!!

Posted June 9, 2013 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

Very cold in the garden so have come in to ‘play’ and have a cup of coffee and warm up for a while.
    just practising – now to see if I’ve done it right! Hardly dare to press post comment in case it hasn’t! Here goes . . .

Posted June 9, 2013 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

:smile:

• Rabbit Dave
        Posted June 9, 2013 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

Practice makes perfect

• Rabbit Dave
        Posted June 9, 2013 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

Oh dear! I tried to reply to you using bold and italic just to practise too, but I got a message asking if I was human and my reply has disappeared into the ether :-(

Perhaps the site thinks I really am a rabbit.

• Rabbit Dave
          Posted June 9, 2013 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

Now I’m confused. The message I posted 12 minutes ago with bold and italic words has appeared after the message I posted 6 minutes ago!

Still at least like you I know now it works! :smile:

• Posted June 9, 2013 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

If I knew how the spam filter worked, I would tell you. I have rescued your comment from the Slough of Despond.

• Poppy
            Posted June 9, 2013 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

And I do hope your new roofing has prevented that part of your property from joining it there …

• Posted June 9, 2013 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

It hasn’t rained on it yet!

The good news was that I got £451 back by selling the lead that was replaced by fibreglass

• andy
      Posted June 9, 2013 at 7:45 pm | Permalink

Absolutely bl**dy freezing here as well, we saw the sun last Tuesday I think but not since, well maybe for an hour or 2. The heating came on today whilst I was out and i’ve agreed with the thermostat that it needs to stay on. Ridiculous for June. Anyway, for a Virgilius I found this 3* difficulty . I did like 1a especially. Thanks Virgilius and BD

7. gnomethang
    Posted June 9, 2013 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

I don’t know Jezza I found this very tricky to state but like others i gradually worked through it whilst kicking myself and smiling. Thanks to Virgilius for a cracking puzzle and BD for the hints.
    P.S. i have never hit s sub 80 round if golf but today, having missed 4 short putts I had a bride putt on the 18th for a 79. Left the bugger short by an inch. (sighs)

• 2Kiwis
      Posted June 9, 2013 at 7:35 pm | Permalink

Perhaps her veil was obscuring her vision on that last green. But well done anyway.
      Cheers.

• gnomethang
        Posted June 9, 2013 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

Damned autocorrect !
        Cheers!

8. neveracrossword
    Posted June 9, 2013 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

2*/2.5* for me. Needed BD’s hint to explain 18a.

9. stanXYZ
    Posted June 9, 2013 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

10a – The only one for which I needed an explanation. Thanks BD!

(What have I been doing for the last 2 weeks? Oh! Yes! Watching tennis from Roland Garros) :cry:

Posted June 9, 2013 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

What a bunch of yahoos today, what were they thinking? I don’t think it seriously discombobulated the players, but tennis is not a sport where you expect it. It was broadcast here today, we don’t normally get tennis. Americans like netball and rounders and not much else.

• Expat Chris
        Posted June 9, 2013 at 10:33 pm | Permalink

You don’t normally get tennis down there? We do. At least one of the cable channels will carry the Opens, although not always live depending on the time difference. I’m not a Serena fan but I have to say she’s in cracking form.

Posted June 9, 2013 at 11:38 pm | Permalink

We don’t get much. I now have the sports channel and may keep it for the tennis after the season. Cheers.

Posted June 9, 2013 at 11:42 pm | Permalink

P.S. I agree about Serena. She’s like a behemoth, how can you compete against that?

10. Colmce
    Posted June 9, 2013 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

I found this one much harder than usual, and had three sessions at it before completion.

But as always all the answers were in the clues, just needed winkling out.

Thanks to BD for the review, not needed, by the skin of teeth.

Thanks to Virgilius for a longer than usual workout.

11. Only fools
    Posted June 9, 2013 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

I thought this was an absolute belter, smiled throughout ,17 favourites (Sorry Kath -Aldus Manutius would be proud of you)
    Terrific .
    Thanks to Virgilius and BD .

12. Paul Smith
    Posted June 9, 2013 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

Should have waited for your hints. Now realise I have submitted with two wrong answers (6d and 17a). I mean I had (almost) correct answers, but just not the right ones. B***** (6 letter word, rhymes with rugger!)

Posted June 9, 2013 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Virgilius and to Big Dave for the hints. Well, I enjoyed this a lot, but still can’t get 9a and 8d, any more help would be much appreciated. I’ve read the hints but still can’t get them. A lovely puzzle that made me smile. Favourites were 10,11,15, 23a and 2&16d. Was 3*/4* for me. Freezing cold in Central London.

• Posted June 9, 2013 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

In 9a the first two letters are an abbreviation for spiritual guidance, typically at school.

In 8d, the British economist is world-famous.

• Heno
        Posted June 9, 2013 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

Thanks Dave, got 9a now. I l’ll google the economist, he may well be World Famous, but economics are not my strong suit :-)

• Heno
          Posted June 9, 2013 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

Got in now, must remember him!

Posted June 9, 2013 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

I hope it warms up for Wimbledon. Do you have any influence?

14. Derek
    Posted June 9, 2013 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Virgilius for another nice puzzle to end the week!

Faves : 1a, 11a, 16a, 27a, 2d, 5d, 14d & 17d.

Today began grey-skied but is once more sunny.

One of my friends – also expat Brit – rang me from near Bordeaux where they have a house – to say they (he and wife) had a dry run until nearing Bordeaux when it rained so heavily that it reminded him of monsoon in Sri-Lanka!

Jet stream activity!

• stanXYZ
      Posted June 9, 2013 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

Eight Favourites! Is this a record?

Posted June 9, 2013 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

No – Only fools has 17 favourites. Just off to look up whoever it is who would be proud of me!! On second thoughts I’m just pleased that someone is. Another little practice!

Posted June 9, 2013 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

Now I understand – having never heard of him I thought he must have said that it is impossible to have more than one favourite of anything.

• stanXYZ
            Posted June 9, 2013 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

Impossible?

• Derek
        Posted June 9, 2013 at 7:36 pm | Permalink

What are you ,Stan, and all the others ranting on about?

Favourites for me means clues that I liked best!

C’est très simple. If you don’t speak French what have you done with your linguistic ability?

• andy
          Posted June 9, 2013 at 8:07 pm | Permalink

Hi Derek, I’ll let Kath explain, absolutely not meant as a derogatory comment about you, and ps, would you mind sending East Anglia some of your sun please, ridiculously cold here

Posted June 9, 2013 at 11:00 pm | Permalink

Hi Derek,
          Really sorry about this – I think it’s now come round in a full circle. Some time ago – can’t remember when but a few months ago, I think, I said that it was only possible to have one favourite. To me ‘favourite’ is ‘best’ which is a superlative so, surely, there can only be one. I think that you tried to persuade me otherwise.
          Perhaps it’s now time for me to shut up, just for a change – am beginning to wish that I’d kept my big mouth shut right from the beginning, except that it’s quite good fun seeing what happens . . .

• Rabbit Dave
            Posted June 10, 2013 at 8:32 am | Permalink

Oh no. Please don’t be tempted to keep your mouth shut. I love all the little asides we get here, which for me are the icing on the cake of a truly great blog site.

Keep on commenting – you know you want to :wink:

Posted June 9, 2013 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

It was certainly not a cake walk but very enjoyable and really very do-able. I didn’t understand the “why” of 18a, but after reading the hint and the light coming on, I think that has to be the cleverest clue. I also liked 1a and 8d. Thanks to all.

16. Poppy
    Posted June 9, 2013 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed completing this, but needed help with the last three. Like Kath, drew blanks until 23a to start with and then it all started to flow. Liked several, and 15a made me smile :-) but I didn’t see the anagram in 12a, but worked it out anyhow. Odd how that happens. Wish I could send you all a fragrant rose from my first attempt at growing one. It’s a Gertrude Jekyll and the scent is glorious. And it’s flowering like mad. Beginner’s luck probably.

Posted June 9, 2013 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

She was a famous gardener, wasn’t she? Was it around the turn of 19/20 centuries.

• Poppy
        Posted June 10, 2013 at 7:40 am | Permalink

Yes, and there was a beautiful book (pictorial) titled “A gentle plea for chaos” that introduced me to some of her work