ST 2692 (Hints)

Sunday Telegraph Cryptic No 2692 (Hints)

Hints and tips by Big Dave

Could new readers please read the Welcome post and the FAQ before asking questions about the site.

Most of the terms used in these hints are explained in the Glossary and examples are available by clicking on the entry under “See also”.  Definitions are underlined in the clues.

1a           In bitter enmity, stupidly staged grand war (2,7,5)
An anagram (stupidly) of STAGED GRAND WAR

9a           One vehicle or another sent back in right direction (7)
A farm vehicle is reversed (sent back) and followed by two words meaning in the direction of the right, with the second word abbreviated to R(ight)

12a         Cotton cape Ethel chose, in need of alteration (11)
C(ape) followed by an anagram (in need of alteration) of ETHEL CHOSE

14a         Contractor who’s paid money to butcher (6)
… another person

17a         Insulted Labour leader seen outside (8)
The initial letter (leader) of Labour with a word meaning seen outside

19a         Turned heads, being sweet (6)
Not one head but two, both reversed

26a         Part of cross-reference for ongoing loss of liquid assets (7)
Split as (3.4) this could be part of a cross-reference

27a         Reform never restricting trade union with excellent financial backing (7,7)
An anagram (reform) of NEVER around (restricting) the abbreviation of Trade Union followed by  an adjective meaning excellent

1d           Scientific type collecting a second prize thus, is content, finally (14)
The A from the clue followed by S(econd), a prize, a Latin word meaning thus, IS and the final letter of contenT

3d           Keep in Conservative with less sense who shouldn’t be in party? (11)
A verb meaning to keep in, as a punishment, followed by C(onservative) and an adjective meaning with less sense

5d           Instant record of game’s exciting (8)
A card game followed by the S from ‘S and an adjective meaning exciting

7d           Calculate / to satisfactorily finish / exercise (4,3)
Two three definitions

8d           Container of explosive ignited for spectacular revolution (9,5)
A cryptic definition of a firework

13d         Stake he secured in company plan that’s put together to promote growth (7,4)
A stake or pole and HE inside CO(mpany) amd a plan or chart

18d         The writer is succeeded by a friend in religious office (7)
The abbreviated form of “the writer is” in the first person followed (succeeded) by a friend

20d         Don’t dilly-dally crossing line in city in UK (7)
A verb meaning don’t dilly-dally (2,4) around (crossing) L(ine) to get a city in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

25d         Conclusions reached in trial, so accept one’s fate (3)
The final letters (conclusions reached) of three words in the clue

If you need further help then please ask and I will see what I can do.

Today it’s Happy Birthday to Pete Townshend (68) and James Fox (74)

1. Tantalus
    Posted May 19, 2013 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

Great puz, thanks to all. Had good argument about the spelling and pronunciation of enmity, (but not as commonly mispronounced as sixth).

2. gazza
    Posted May 19, 2013 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Virgilius for the usual Sunday treat and to BD for the hints. I thought that 7d was probably meant to be a triple definition (split infinitive and all!).

Posted May 19, 2013 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

As usual a lovely Sunday crossword. I found it a bit trickier than the last few Sundays.
    My last four answers took about twice as long as the whole of the rest of it – 26 and 27a and 20 and 21d.
    Just when I get used to hunting out the hidden answers there weren’t any – don’t think there were last week either but could easily be wrong about that.
    I took a while to untangle 1 and 13d.
    I liked 1 and 10a and 6 and 13d. My favourite was 19a.
    With thanks to Virgilius and BD.
    Back to the garden . . .

• Arthur Dent
      Posted May 19, 2013 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

I too spent a LOT of time hunting out hidden words! I was quite disappointed not to find any…

Posted May 19, 2013 at 9:39 pm | Permalink

Oh good – not just me then! When I got stuck on my last few I ended up going through the clues trying to find them – I was SO sure that there must be one, or more, if only I could find it or them . . . ! One chance to be right and I was STILL wrong! I bet there are loads next week!

Posted May 19, 2013 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

Thank you Virgilius. I enjoyed that – a relief after 3 difficult days ( for me at any rate ) My arms were aching with continually picking up the BRB – but not today, only for one word at 18d. Liked 13d well disguised and amusing ! Thank you BD for your hints.

5. una
    Posted May 19, 2013 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

A good challenge, and I’m stuck on 16d ! Help would be much appreciated .Thanks to Virgilius and BD.

• Tantalus
      Posted May 19, 2013 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

Person who provides topical info about ale (8).
      Means “person who provides topical info” in the media. Also is “about” with “type of beer”

• una
      Posted May 19, 2013 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

Got it at last !thanks

• Tantalus
        Posted May 19, 2013 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

Can you reciprocate on 18d. We have all the crossing letters but just need a nudge (read and reread the hint…. Mrs T and I are having A doh moment.

Ps bd, the underline command seems broken in the comments – But strong works.

Posted May 19, 2013 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

Not sure that I can add anything to BD’s hint but I’ll have a go. The definition is religious office. You want two letters for how someone would refer to himself, followed by the ‘a’ from the clue and a four letter word meaning ‘friend’

• Tantalus
            Posted May 19, 2013 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

Thanks… we figured out what it must be but hat to look up the meaning.

• Posted May 19, 2013 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

In comments use <u> and </u>

e.g. underline

• Tantalus
            Posted May 19, 2013 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

Tried here but fails (on iPad).

• Posted May 19, 2013 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

Say no more – if you must use software from the only company that is worse than Microsoft at complying with internationally agreed standards then it is only to be expected.

• Tantalus
                Posted May 19, 2013 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

Need some Novocain ? Let’s not let our technology interfere with our enjoyment of the content. (And good afternoon).

• una
          Posted May 19, 2013 at 11:28 pm | Permalink

Sorry, I exited after your helpful hint .

6. Derek
    Posted May 19, 2013 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

A very enjoyable puzzle this Sunday to round off the week.

Faves : 10a, 19a, 26a, 8d, 13d & 18d.

Beautiful sunny day but now clouding over.

• Derek
      Posted May 19, 2013 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

Also liked 1d as worked many years at ESRO now ESA.

• una
        Posted May 19, 2013 at 11:25 pm | Permalink

Derek, you have told us so much about your life, where you were born, where you traveled and lived with your late wife, your connection to astrophysics, I think a proper potted biography is necessary . Please oblige.

7. stanXYZ
    Posted May 19, 2013 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

As always a most enjoyable crossword from Virgilius … but all over far too quickly … a bit like the cricket!

8. Arthur Dent
    Posted May 19, 2013 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

I thought I was going to get nowhere with this one, then gradually chipped away at it until – almost as a surprise to me – I find that I have only one left.

Could anyone help me out with a little bijou hintette for 21d please. I have looked at it and looked at it to the point that I am just not seeing it any more…

Thanks!

• Posted May 19, 2013 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

21d White wine from area found in pubs and clubs (6)
      A(rea) inside some pubs and C(lubs)

Posted May 19, 2013 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

Sorry, we crossed

• Posted May 19, 2013 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

Better two responses than none!

• Arthur Dent
            Posted May 19, 2013 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

Oh – Never heard of it (and I had a seriously misspent youth!)
            I was thinking that the A(rea) was in another place in the answer and was fixated on the dry type of wine.

Thanks both!

And thanks of course to Virgilius!

• Amanda
              Posted May 19, 2013 at 9:50 pm | Permalink

I’d never heard of it either, and I am SERIOUSLY into wine. Used electronic help to get the answer but recognised it as possibly wine. Needed BD to explain, though!

Posted May 19, 2013 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

Another word for pubs, followed by abbrev for area and clubs

9. Poppy
    Posted May 19, 2013 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

Needed a lot of help – thanks BD for steadfast input to this brilliant site. And thanks to the setter for making me work a bit harder than normal. Liked 19a & 5d, but my fav. was 8d. Hope others are enjoying some sunshine too…

10. neveracrossword
    Posted May 19, 2013 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

2.5*/3.5* for me . 18d is not a word we come across much in rural Devon – but it’s good to extend one’s vocab. Favourite was 26a.

11. jezza
    Posted May 19, 2013 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Virgilius for another lovely Sunday puzzle, and to BD for the notes. This one took me a little longer than normal to finish.

Posted May 19, 2013 at 6:43 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Virgilius and to Big Dave for the hints. As usual a super puzzle from Vigilius, started with 1a, finished with 13d. I only had trouble with 22a as I had misspelt 1d, then with that corrected the rest followed. favourites were 1 &14a. Was 3*/4* for me. Well done the Gunners getting into the Champions League :-)

13. gnomethang
    Posted May 19, 2013 at 9:22 pm | Permalink

Harder than usual for me but an excellent solve!. Thanks to all involved.