James Leonard

James Leonard

Aka Rustic, Mr Lemon and Citrus

+ – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – +

James Leonard (right) at a Listener Dinner

It is with sadness that I have to let you know that James Leonard passed away this morning in Barnstaple Hospital in Devon after a short illness.

Many of you may not have known James but his contribution to crosswords is immense. James established and edited the Enigmatic Variations series in the Sunday Telegraph from its inception, well over 1000 puzzles. These challenging puzzles have been a delight throughout and have always been warmly received by solvers.

In that time, many of the setters that we know and love have contributed to the series indeed a considerable number were given their first break in that puzzle.

I met James several times at Listener Crossword dinners and he was a genial, larger than life character who often dispensed advice and wit in equal measure. His own puzzles were always remarkable and were both witty challenging. James also produced the Listener Crossword Who’s Who, a record and pen pictures of the setters of that august puzzle.

We have lost one of the driving forces behind crosswords this weekend, and we will be the poorer without his wisdom and presence. R I P.

1. Phil McNeill
    Posted April 29, 2013 at 12:38 am | Permalink

Thanks for those heartfelt words, Tilsit.

James had been in hospital for three days, during which time I have been overwhelmed with kind thoughts to be passed on to him from the many compilers who contribute to the Enigmatic Variations series. He was held in great affection and admiration by them all.

We will sorely miss him.

Phil McNeill
    Telegraph Crsswords Editor

2. Andy Filby
    Posted April 29, 2013 at 9:27 pm | Permalink

James Leonard has been my immidiate neighbour for the last 7 or 8 years. A happier or more interesting man i`ve yet to meet. My family and i will miss him, his kind smile and sence of humour that he shared with us most days Fond memories indeed. R.I.P James

3. Susanna Westmeath
    Posted April 30, 2013 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

Brother James:

Thank you all for these really kind words. I am wondering if there is any chance of getting hold of a copy of the picture above (or anything better if anyone has it). It would be nice to have something showing him in good times and enjoying himself to put in the service sheet. I’ve got plenty of him as a very young man but I think he was a bit camera shy recently.

4. Mike Jones
    Posted May 6, 2013 at 11:49 pm | Permalink

I was so saddened to hear of James’ passing when I got back from a day trip to Lundy on the 28th. I will always remember our lively discussions about the island’s birdlife over a pint in the Marisco Tavern, and thoroughly enjoyed reading his notes in the Radio Room logbook when I stayed there.
    I will be back on Lundy next week and will be remembering him with a pint of Old Light on the 16th.
    My condolences to all his family and friends. He was a genuine character who will be greatly missed.

5. BBB
    Posted May 13, 2013 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

Susanna, there are many excellent photos of James on the Lundy Island Facebook page if you can access them.

6. Posted May 13, 2013 at 6:45 pm | Permalink

The Telegraph have now published James’s obituary:

7. richard robins
    Posted June 21, 2013 at 8:25 pm | Permalink

james leonard was a remarkably gifted sportsman. throughout the 50’s,60’s and ’70’s he was one of the best rackets players in the world and partnered by tom pugh, he competed in and often won almost every national and international competition, just failing to become world champion. he hated losing and was a tough competitior as many of his opponents of those days will confirm.

james was also a very talented amateur cricketer, as a batsman and wicket keeper, playing for years in good standard club cricket across the country. he ran a very entertaining cricket week in north devon annually during the 1970’s, which was an absolute must among his eton rambler friends, in view of the entertainment he offered on and off the field !

it is a pity that the telegraph failed to recognise his considerable contribution to amateur sport, particularly on the rackets court.