Hints and tips by Deep Threat

BD Rating – Difficulty **Enjoyment ***

Good morning from South Staffs on a beautiful sunny morning, where catching up on the gardening awaits when blogging duties are done. Happy St George’s Day to you all.

I found this a reasonably gentle puzzle, with the added bonus of a pangram (and the Quick Crossword is a pangram, too).

In the hints below, the definitions are underlined.

1a           Directive popular with union (10)
{ INJUNCTION } A two-letter word for popular or trendy, followed by a union or joining.

6a           Assumed name I omitted, unfortunately (4)
{ ALAS } Remove the I from the word used by police to designate an assumed name used by a criminal.

10a         Learning about name written backwards in register (5)
{ ENROL } The definition is a verb. A term used to describe learning of a traditional kind with Name inside it, the whole then reversed (written backwards).

11a         What could make one lie square? (9)
{ EQUALISER } An all-in-one clue.  Anagram (could make) of LIE SQUARE, and a mildly cryptic definition.

12a         Character sketch: get vet in, comically (8)
{ VIGNETTE } Anagram (comically) of GET VET IN.

13a         Publish paper with no leader (5)
{ ISSUE } A thin variety of paper with the initial T removed (no leader).

15a         King Edward, well-informed (7)
{ LEARNED } A Shakespearean king followed by a diminutive form of Edward.

17a         Passage from ‘North and South’ in characteristic setting (7)
{ TRANSIT } North and South inside a characteristic or distinguishing feature.

19a         Pole on motorway makes error (7)
{ MISTAKE } The usual crossword motorway followed by a wooden pole.

21a         I’m 6, taken back to small island (7)
{ SALAMIS } A Greek island near Athens, scene of a famous naval battle against the Persians. I’M (from the clue) followed by the answer to 6a, the whole then reversed, and followed by Small.

22a         Sanctuary for rock group in spring (5)
{ OASIS } Triple definition, the second one being the band fronted by the Gallagher brothers, the third a spring in the desert.

24a         Kitchen strainer for lard, once melted (8)
{ COLANDER } Anagram (melted) of LARD ONCE.

27a         Effects of cultivating at the farm (9)
{ AFTERMATH } Anagram (cultivating) of AT THE FARM. Originally used to describe a second mowing of grass in the same season.

28a         Girl I love breaks arm in retreat (5)
{ MOIRA }  Put I (from the clue) and the letter that looks like a love score at tennis inside ARM, and reverse the whole thing to get a girl’s name.

29a         Time to take off record (4)
{ TAPE } Time followed by a verb meaning to take off or imitate.

30a         Porcelain cap and hat (5,5)
{ CROWN DERBY } A cap for a tooth, and what the Americans call a bowler hat, giving a variety of porcelain made in the East Midlands.

1d           Mountain goat from central Tibet? Spot marked (4)
{ IBEX } The middle three letters of Tibet followed by the letter which traditionally ‘marks the spot’ on a pirate treasure map.

2d           Containers and nicer jars smashed (9)
{ JERRICANS } Anagram (smashed) of NICER JARS.

3d           Material vital to many Londoners (5)
{ NYLON } Hidden in the clue.

4d           Given medical attention and not asked to pay (7)
{ TREATED } Double definition.

5d           Work with uranium, fast becoming rich (7)
{ OPULENT } A charade of the Latin abbreviation for work, the chemical symbol for uranium, and the period of fasting before Easter.

7d           Sound of composer’s records (5)
{ LISTS } A homophone (sounds of) of a 19th century Hungarian composer with ‘s.

8d           Cover international actor’s trial (6,4)
( SCREEN TEST } Cover in the sense of hide from view, or alternatively put on television, followed by an international match at, for example, cricket or rugby.

9d           Exhausted? Everyone, on the whole (3,2,3)
{ ALL IN ALL } A phrase (3,2) for exhausted followed by everyone.

14d         Florid fellow guarding lad in apartment (10)
{ FLAMBOYANT } A word for lad inside a word for a fellow or chap (guarding), the whole then inside a word for apartment.

16d         Ship from North America, with nothing on board, heading for Holy Island (5,3)
{ NOAHS ARK } A Biblical ship made up from an abbreviation for North America with O (nothing) inside it, then the first letter (heading) of Holy, and one of the Channel Islands.

18d         Edited memoirs involving the Spanish steward (9)
{ SOMMELIER } Anagram (edited) of MEMOIRS with the Spanish definite article inside it.

20d         Note hidden in cake is not in code (2,5)
{ EN CLAIR } Note inside a cake described in the BRB as ‘long in shape but short in duration’, involving cream and chocolate.

21d         Short sailor and dog jump on the ice (7)
{ SALCHOW } A word for a sailor with the final T removed (short), and a dog noted for having a blue tongue, giving an ice-skating manoeuvre.

23d         Raise  frame (3,2)
{ SET UP } Double definition. Frame is a verb meaning to implicate an innocent person in a crime.

25d         Called chap over to meet editor (5)
{ NAMED } Reverse (over) a word for chap, and add an abbreviation for editor.

26d         Unknown, some screwball (4)
{ ZANY } One of the letters used in algebra to designate an unknown followed by a word meaning ‘some’.

The Quick Crossword pun { SIR }{ KIT }{ BORED } = { CIRCUIT BOARD }

Posted April 23, 2013 at 11:09 am | Permalink

A good fun puzzle. We spotted the pangram too. Would guess from its quirkiness that it might be from Petitjean. Too many good clues to pick out a favourite.
    Thanks Mr Ron and DT.

2. neveracrossword
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Enjoyable. About 3 boiled eggs for me. Seemed much easier than yesterday but then I was tired after a golf tournament on Monday.

Posted April 23, 2013 at 11:10 am | Permalink

A nice pangram today. My rating is **/***. After a slowish start, the answers eventually fell into place nicely. Thanks very much to the setter and to DT for the review, which I needed simply to understand the “short sailor” part of 21d. I got the answer, and assumed wrongly that the first letter S was clued from “short” and therefore that AL = “sailor” must be an expression which I hadn’t come across before. All is now clear!

4. jezza
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 11:14 am | Permalink

Gentle, but enjoyable. Many thanks to setter (Shamus perhaps), and to Deep Threat for the review.

5. Michael
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 11:25 am | Permalink

Good – I thought 20d was a bit awkward, French words are a problem for me.

6. Nigel Baker
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 11:28 am | Permalink

Agree with the BD rating today. Just about where I like it. Thanks to all.

7. Colmce
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 11:32 am | Permalink

A really nice puzzle, which fell into place quite quickly after I’d abandoned my potato based approach to 15a.

Thanks to DT for his review. Thanks to the setter for an enjoyable start to a warm sunny day in Canterbury.

Posted April 23, 2013 at 11:35 am | Permalink

I agree with **/***.
    The only problem that I had was getting 23d wrong to begin with – I had ‘put up’ which made 22a a bit unlikely to say the least. Once that was sorted out the rest fell into place fairly quickly, for me. I even spotted the pangram, for once.
    I’m fairly sure that we’ve had 21d before but it didn’t come to mind easily. 14d took a bit of untangling. I didn’t know the Greek island but the clue was clear.
    I liked 1 and 27a and 1, 8, 16, 20 and 26d.
    With thanks to Mr Ron and Deep Threat.
    Off to the garden. I didn’t think that I’d ever say this again but could almost do with some rain!

• jezza
      Posted April 23, 2013 at 11:55 am | Permalink

Good memory, Kath – DT No 27108

6d Jump made by dog following Sarah (7)

• mary
      Posted April 23, 2013 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

Same here for 21d Kath, though it took a while to remember, did you actually say you want rain???

Posted April 23, 2013 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

I knew that 21d was lurking in the brain somewhere but it took a while to come out. And yes and no about the rain – I won’t like it when it happens but our garden is really quite dry – we’re on very sandy soil.

9. Poppy
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 11:47 am | Permalink

I fell into the potato trap too, for 15a. And didn’t see tha pangrram for toffee (whatever that phrase means). But enjoyed the solve, and loved the pic for 16d. Thanks to DT for tips, and to the setter as well.

10. skempie
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 11:54 am | Permalink

Enjoyable solve today and nice to see a pangram (spotted quite early here). Didn’t know the island (Greek Islands aren’t quite my specialist subject) but easily worked out.

Bright sunshiny here, I’ve a feeling I mind end up doing stuff in the garden :(

11. mary
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

Morning DT, thanks for hints which I didn’t need to use today although there were a few new words for me, putting Solomon in at 21a didn’t help! although I knew I couldn’t get it to fit the clue, missed the pangram completely, lots of lovely clues…I liked 1,13,19,29a and 4,9d fav clue 25d, we are not getting the sunshine we were promised but at least it’s dry today, Happy St Georges day to all my English blog friends :-)

12. Roger
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable. 21d a new word for me so double-checked my ‘creation’ based on the clues. Also like others 21a couldn’t be anything else but not heard of this island before. Had ‘fit up’ for 23d which held me up a little. And a major faux pas misreading the clue for 7 had me entering the composer…silly boy!

I’m being thick but cannot see the pangram.

Posted April 23, 2013 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

Re the pangram just go through all the letters of the alphabet and see if there is at least one of everything – there is!

• Roger
        Posted April 23, 2013 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

Ah, thanks for that…I was looking for something more complicated !

13. Clarky
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 12:42 pm | Permalink

Thank you for an enjoyable puzzle, and hints, at just about my level! Top half went well with hold ups later at 20d and 21d which didn’t help with 30a either. Learning though, and only needed hints to check answers.

14. Bluebird
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

I thought */*** but 14d was great fun.
    Hadn’t come across 21d but it fitted anyway. Ditto 20d.

If only I hadn’t got 7d as its reciprocal, I would have been quicker on 13a. Doh!

Some tulips emerging……

• Bluebird
      Posted April 23, 2013 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

Sorry I meant 20a not 20d wasn’t familiar. The ice skating jump was in a quite recent puzzle, I think, so popped up quickly.

Posted April 23, 2013 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

Yes 21d was in a crossword fairly recently – see jezza’s reply to me earlier. Fifty one crosswords ago – working on six each week I make that about eight and a half weeks ago unless my sums have deserted me!

15. BigBoab
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable crossword today, my thanks to the setter and to Deep Threat for a very amusing review. May I wish all my English friends a very happy St. Georges Day. ( By the way, the Kcit toughie is very reasonable today )

• jezza
      Posted April 23, 2013 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

I agree about the toughie – I enjoyed it.

16. John
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

Many thanks to the setter for an enjoyable puzzle and of course to Deep Throat for assisstance on the last couple.

I’m in the not heard of the Greek island club, ahich wasn’t helped by it not being in my crossword dictionary!

17. Catherine
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable puzzle today. A nice level of difficulty. Thanks to the setter and to DT for the hints. Lots of nice clues. I liked 27a and 8d. Our snow is finally gone and things are growing in the garden. Just spotted a rather large owl out there! Somewhat unusual in the city.

• skempie
      Posted April 23, 2013 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

Lucky you spotting the owl. I’ve just given the back garden its first cut of the year and as per usual, can’t find the hole for the washing line again :(

• John
        Posted April 23, 2013 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

At least you’ve got one, our washing line hole is in the shed! – looks like a job for this weekend….

Posted April 23, 2013 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Mr Ron and to Deep Threat for the review and hints. A very fun puzzle, as usual I failed to spot the pangram. Was 2*/3* for me. Just needed the hints to confirm 13&21d which I had never heard of, but managed to work them out from the wordplay. 21a was also the name of an old Genesis song. Got held up in the SE corner, but managed to finish while sitting by the 2nd pond over Parly Hill, great weather in Central London, and let’s hope it lasts.!

Posted April 23, 2013 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Happy St George’s day to all.

20. Zofbak
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

The “J” in 2d alerted me to the possibility of the pangram and the need for a “Z” certainly helped me to solve my last one in, 26d. With thanks to DT and setter.

Posted April 23, 2013 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

A very enjoyable puzzle to celebrate St George.
    At least it is now i have learned to spell that’ perishing composer properly!
    For once I fully agree with the rating and the best clue for me was def 22a.
    My arn’t we coming up to date with music, first Eminem then Oasis, what next One Direction (whoever they are)? Mrs B takes issue with them being called a Rock Group, Led Zeppelin is a rock group she says :-)
    Thx to the Setter and to DT for the hint to 13a which made me realise my spelling mistake.

• Miffypops
      Posted April 23, 2013 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

Led Zeppelin were a rock group Brian. I saw them a few times but not since Earls Court 1976.

• Heno
        Posted April 23, 2013 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

Rock on. I saw Zepp in the 70’s forget the year, but it was at Ally Pally before the fire, one Xmas Eve.

22. HughGfan
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

Excellent puzzle & hints congrats and thanks to setter and DT. 20d got me I knew not in code was in clear or plain text but didn’t get the french connection. Anagrams aplenty two sides of A4 covered in letters galore. Also got 21d but did not know what it meant till I looked it up although I’d heard the word probably caught a voice over on falling down on ice.

23. Annidrum
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

A lovely puzzle but I was slowed down by putting the coomposers name in 7d but once I saw the error of my ways I got 13a in (which I thought it was all along !) I also spotted the pangram so 9d a good day. Thanks to setter & DT for the review.

24. Derek
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

Another enjoyable solve today.

Faves : 17a, 21a, 22a, 30a, 7d, 16d, 18d & 21d.

We had last night not rain but rather dew so the grass in the woods across the road is a shade greener. Very sunny now.

Salade niçoise ce soir then rasps and cream.

Posted April 23, 2013 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

Thank you setter and DT for your review. All very enjoyable – finished it whilst having a sandwich on the beach at Aldeburgh in the baking sun !! The surprising thing here is that nature is about 2 weeks behind the norm – no leaves on trees and not many migrant birds yet. Perhaps the warmer weather will change that.

26. Les
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

Been to Greece quite a lot but never come across Salamis although I got the answer.

I had Sit up for 23d; you raise your frame when you do a sit-up.

27. una
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 6:30 pm | Permalink

enjoyable. thanks to setter and Deep threat.I liked 14d and 22a.

28. outnumbered
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 7:26 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed this one, not quite as straightforward as yesterday’s but still quite a few anagrams to get things started. I’d say 1.5*/*** for me.
    Pangram helped to get the last word in the bottom right.

29. Little Dave
    Posted April 23, 2013 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

I found this a tad tricky and only got 21a because it was easy to work out – never heard of the place though! 21d was never my strong suit either – couldn’t even skateboard! Thanks to the Setter.

• skempie
      Posted April 24, 2013 at 12:04 am | Permalink

Kids today think they invented skateboards. We used to skateboard (home made) when I lived in Scotland (’68-’70). They’ll be inventing hula-hoops next