Hints and tips by Libellule

BD Rating – Difficulty ** Enjoyment ****

The sun is shining south of the Loire, and it looks like spring has finally arrived. In terms of the crossword, we have the usual fun and entertainment from the Monday Maestro.

1. Daughter is found out (10)
{DISLOCATED} – D (daughter), IS, and then a word that means found by searching for example, produces a word that means to put out of the usual place or position.

9. I return to a matter of little weight (4)
{IOTA} – I and a reversed (return) TO followed by A.

10. Snack for a boxer? (3,7)
{DOG BISCUIT} – The sort of snack a canine might prefer e.g. a bonio.

11. Left in play (6)
{EXITED} – The departure of a performer from a stage.

12. Row about stray dog (7)
{TERRIER} – A small hunting dog can be constructed from another word for a series of rows placed above each other around (about) another word for to make a mistake.

15. Well-built dam (7)
{STAUNCH} – Double definition, having a strong, substantial construction or to stop the flow of a liquid.

16. Sort of sober attire for a judge (5)
{ROBES} – An anagram (sort of) of SOBER.

17. This monk recited part of the rosary (4)
{BEDE} – This monk sounds like BEAD.

18. Note I have to deliver (4)
{GIVE} – A musical note followed by IVE.

19. Eastern gale spoiled a good golf score (5)
{EAGLE} – E and an anagram (spoiled) of GALE is a score of two strokes under par.

21. Sphere of vision (7)
{EYEBALL} – Your globe shaped organ of sight.

22. Throttle left out — that’s odd! (7)
{STRANGE} – Remove L (left) from a word that means to choke or suffocate by squeezing the throat for example.

24. Sarah’s upset hound (6)
{HARASS} – An anagram (upset) of SARAHS is also a word that means to irritate or torment persistently.

27. Assume responsibility and accept payment (4,6)
{TAKE CHARGE} – A phrase that means to assume control and command could also describe receiving payment.

28. Little money by end of holiday (4)
{TINY} – A crosswordland slang word for money is followed by the last letter (end of) holidaY.

29. Beauty appears without wrinkles (10)
{COMELINESS} – A word that means moving into view or appearing is placed around (without) another word for thin continuous marks (wrinkles for example) to get a word that means pleasing or wholesome in appearance.

2. The first person to study a work of art (4)
{ICON} – I (the first person) and a three letter word that means to peruse or examine carefully (commonly found in crosswords) is an image or representation.

3. Work hard for the party (6)
{LABOUR} – Double definition, difficult or arduous work, or the party led by Ed Millibean.

4. Take commission away from bank employee (7)
{CASHIER} – Another double definition, to dismiss from a position of command or responsibility or the sort of employee who interacts with customers.

5. Trip to an ancient city (4)
{TOUR} – A journey (usually for pleasure) is TO and that city of ancient Sumer.

6. Hates editor’s volte-face over trials (7)
{DETESTS} – Reverse (volte-face) ED and add another word for exams.

7. Satisfied, I raise no argument (10)
{CONTENTION} – Another word for desiring no more, I and a reversed (raise) NO.

8. It’s bad luck if you prefer Brie (4,6)
{HARD CHEESE} – But probably better if you like Cheddar…

12. Set meal and free bed at hotel (5,1’4)
{TABLE D’HOTE} – An anagram (free) of BED AT HOTEL.

13. A fishy diversion (3,7)
{RED HERRING} – Something that diverts attention away from the real problem.

14. Turn up to deposit gold sovereign? (5)
{ROYAL} – Reverse (turn up), a word that means to put or set down (e.g. a bird and their eggs) and OR (gold) to get a word that means pertaining to the king or queen.

15. Shuts up animals (5)
{SEALS} – Double definition, closes or aquatic carnivorous animals.

19. Its lace makes an undergarment essential (7)
{ELASTIC} – An anagram (makes) of ITS LACE.

20. I teach new student to be morally correct (7)
{ETHICAL} – An anagram (new) of I TEACH and L (learner, student).

23. Get at a can on the outside (6)
{ATTAIN} – The definition is get, AT and another word for a can (metal container) is placed around (on the outside) A.

25. Pass lightly over a point on a Kipling character (4)
{SKIM} – S (South, point of the compass) and the name of an orphaned son of an Irish soldier that is the title of a picaresque novel by Rudyard Kipling.

26. Bird droppings? (4)
{EGGS} – What birds lay.

The Quick crossword pun: (spar} + {city} = {sparsity}

Posted April 15, 2013 at 9:52 am | Permalink

*/*** Many thanks to the setter for a highly enjoyable start to the week – lots of nice clues and several smiles along the way.

Having missed the point of “recited”, I needed the excellent hints from Libellule, for which many thanks, only to understand why my answer to 17a was correct.

It’s sunny again today in SE London :-)

2. Les D
    Posted April 15, 2013 at 9:57 am | Permalink

Have I missed something? This crossword seems to be a different one to the one on my iPad!!

Posted April 15, 2013 at 10:24 am | Permalink

Hi Les – welcome to the blog.

• Nigel Baker
      Posted April 15, 2013 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

Not just me then! 19 d Last in. Assuming the answer is an indicator. 7 a very good – don’t just book it. J

3. Liverpool Mike
    Posted April 15, 2013 at 9:58 am | Permalink

I managed to complete the cryptic crossword on the electronic Telegraph on my iPad which is completely different to the one above. So now onto the paper version. Two for the price of one!

4. mary
    Posted April 15, 2013 at 10:07 am | Permalink

Good morning Libelulle, thanks for the hints today, I only needed them to understand 4d, a lovely crossword from Rufus, not too easy but not too much brain strain either a two to three star for me today, lots of clues I liked but no one stand out favourite , no sunshine here yet but it is warm and dry

• mary
      Posted April 15, 2013 at 10:11 am | Permalink

Well maybe 19d is my favourite :-) , memories of a particular navy blue school undergarment come to mind!!

5. Miffypops
    Posted April 15, 2013 at 10:08 am | Permalink

I am beginning to wonder if Rufus steals my thoughts or somehow owns my brain.

6. Colmce
    Posted April 15, 2013 at 10:11 am | Permalink

How difficult is it to get the same crossword in both the Ipad and the paper? Numpties…and it’s not the first time either.
    I really don’t think the Telegraph realise that in a few years tablets and other devices will hold the key to their commercial future, not inky smears on dead trees.

• mary
      Posted April 15, 2013 at 10:13 am | Permalink

Having both I have to say I prefer the ‘inky smears on dead trees’ :-)

Posted April 15, 2013 at 10:16 am | Permalink

Thank you Rufus, a relaxed start to the week, much appreciated. Thank you Libellule for your review. Glad Spring has arrived – we actually saw a swallow yesterday. I thought they might have decided to stay with you and not bother coming up to the grim North !

8. bifield
    Posted April 15, 2013 at 10:19 am | Permalink

A really gentle start to my week over far too quickly. Thanks to Rufus and to Libellule for the review..
    Dull and dreary here in Bristol today.

9. marcus brown
    Posted April 15, 2013 at 10:20 am | Permalink

Just great. I wish all crosswords were like that. Fun to solve, snappy clues and lovely surface readings. Thanks Rufus

• mary
      Posted April 15, 2013 at 10:24 am | Permalink

That is exactly what makes Rufus my favourite setter marcus, now have I mentioned that before?? ;-)

• williamus
        Posted April 15, 2013 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

+ 1. I think I too may have mentioned it once or twice before… usually on a Monday ;)

Posted April 15, 2013 at 10:26 am | Permalink

Nice puzzle. Only complaint would be that it was all over much too quickly. We normally print out the puzzles, back-pager on one side and Toughie on the other of one sheet of paper. It is always sad on a Monday when we finish the Rufus, instinctively turn over the page, and encounter a blank. Ah well – patience – there is always tomorrow.
    Thanks Rufus and Libellule.

11. Graham
    Posted April 15, 2013 at 11:01 am | Permalink

Morning all, hope all had a good weekend, any way back to the main topic this was in my opinion a very easy puzzle to solve & would only rate it */*** thanks to libellue for the review.

Posted April 15, 2013 at 11:06 am | Permalink

Nice start to the week, not too taxing but very enjoyable. Best clue forme was 10a, a real Smile clue.
    Thx to Setter and Libellule.

13. skempie
    Posted April 15, 2013 at 11:20 am | Permalink

Very enjoyable fare today which I managed to make more difficult for myself be putting EXUANT in for 11A (probably me being too clever by ‘alf). Still, quickly managed to spot the error and correct it.

10A was an excellent clue I thought, really made me chuckle.

Keep getting flashes of sun, but it really is flashes and not enough to feel like a disco :-(

14. Wozza
    Posted April 15, 2013 at 11:21 am | Permalink

Can anyone help me with 2d of the ipad version – it’s the only one I don’t have? Thanks in advance. W

• Dickiedot
      Posted April 15, 2013 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Try Borneo, 7a is holding me up. Trust I’m not breaking rules ?

• Wozza
        Posted April 15, 2013 at 11:27 am | Permalink

Aha thanks. Think of Cook as the name of a business

• Only fools
        Posted April 15, 2013 at 11:28 am | Permalink

Take five and it will come

• Dickiedot
          Posted April 15, 2013 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

Posted April 15, 2013 at 11:55 am | Permalink

I thought this was straightforward – would probably give it */***.
    The two that held me up were 17a and 26d. Those and writing in very quickly before engaging the brain ‘discovered’ for 1a but that was sorted out very quickly when I got on to the down clues and nothing would work.
    I liked 10a (and so does our collie) 19, 28 and 29a and 19d. For some reason, and not because it took me a while to see, I didn’t like 26d very much.
    With thanks to Rufus and Libellule.
    Very mild with the odd glimmer of sun – feeling a bit like an animal that’s just woken up from hibernation.

• jezza
      Posted April 15, 2013 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

Straightforward for me too Kath – perhaps we are getting better at Rufus puzzles :) or perhaps this was exceptionally easy :(
      Thanks to Rufus, and to Libellule

Posted April 15, 2013 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

Bet you didn’t fall at the first hurdle getting 1a wrong though. :sad:

• jezza
          Posted April 15, 2013 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

I was tempted Kath, but it didn’t quite make sense, and a quick look at 3d stopped me from making the same mistake :)

16. Clarky
    Posted April 15, 2013 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

Finished in half the usual time, held up by an incorrect 1a. With that exception I didn’t need the hints so either I’m improving or it was quite easy. Maybe both. 10a, 21a and 26d made me smile. Thanks to setter and reviewer.

17. patsyann
    Posted April 15, 2013 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed his one – usual good start to thE week. Thought 11
    a bit “iffy” – surely you could just as often exit right? That was my last one in.

• williamus
      Posted April 15, 2013 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

Not trying to be clever patsyann, but I think “—- stage left” the usual euphemism for leaving

• HughGfan
      Posted April 15, 2013 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

Heavens to Murgatroyd! dont you remember the cartoon character Snagglepuss he was always exiting stage left

• spindrift
        Posted April 15, 2013 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

Looking back that voice they used was camper than a row of tents!

• HughGfan
          Posted April 15, 2013 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

And not too sure about Yogi Bear, Quick Draw McGraw and Huckleberry Hound. Daws Butler voiced them too.

• williamus
            Posted April 15, 2013 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

Here you go! Scroll to 44 secs…

• Roland
      Posted April 15, 2013 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

I think in this instance, “left” refers to the past tense of to leave, not the opposite of right! If you leave the stage, you exit.

18. Beaver
    Posted April 15, 2013 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

Only a ‘one cup of tea ‘puzzle, so can’t award more than *, and a **, not very challanging with a few old chestnuts like 3 and 4d mixed with obvious wordplay,going for a pint.

• Miffypops
      Posted April 15, 2013 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

I am with you on this. Maybe I just click with Rufus puzzles. Maybe I have too much experience in solving. I find Monday’s puzzles are very much Read the clue, write the answer. however I realise that newcomers to Cryptic Country need encouragement..

19. williamus
    Posted April 15, 2013 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Rufus and Libellule: an excellent combination. Are you related by any chance? We should be told!

A gentle start to the week and a good example that mephistolian fiendishness isn’t necessary to make a clever, witty and entertaing puzzle. After a couple of days in bed with ‘flu this was exactly right for me (4,4,3,6,7)

20. HughGfan
    Posted April 15, 2013 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

Mondays are always a pleasant stroll through the brain of the setter, this one appears to be in the same mind set as Friday’s over too quickly. Clues 10a and 2a were by far my favorites. As always thanks to Rufus and sorry Libellule did not need your help today.

Posted April 15, 2013 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Rufus and Libellule for the review and hints. A very nice puzzle from Rufus to start the week. I couldn’t finish it because I had take credit for 27a, this stopped me getting 23&26d.I thought credit was wrong but would never have thought of charge, duh! Once that was corrected, I got the missing down clues, but needed the hint for 11. Favourites a were 1, 10,17,29a and 4&13a. Was 2*/4*for me. Off to start the Squash Tournament later. Weather a bit more cheerful in Central London.

• Ian
      Posted April 15, 2013 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

Also put credit not charge to begin with, but 23d was fairly obvious so soon saw the error of my ways. What squash tournament?

22. Jewel
    Posted April 15, 2013 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

Just back from a week in the South of France and saw “Libellule” over a shop/restaurant as the taxi flashed past and so prompted me to look up the meaning in my dictionary!
    Nice crossword to start the week, was a bit (lot!) thick regarding 15a but otherwise a pleasant “solve”

• slartibartfast
      Posted April 15, 2013 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

Dragonfly I think, Its a horse isn’t it?

23. BigBoab
    Posted April 15, 2013 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Rufus and Libellule for the usual enjoyable start to the week.

Posted April 15, 2013 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

I feel like a bit of a moaning minnie, but this seems to have been the easiest puzzle in a long time, even for a Monday offering. Over too quickly and not a stretch. I didn’t enjoy it much because of that, but as always I appreciate the setter and of course Libellue for the review.

• Steve_the_beard
      Posted April 15, 2013 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

Me too – a little too easy, and I didn’t much like 11a either.

25. SheilaP
    Posted April 15, 2013 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

Nice start to the week. Everyone seems very happy with this crossword. Thanks to setter & hinter.

26. Roger
    Posted April 15, 2013 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

Oooh…that went by very quickly. A good start to the week! Got my 3rd Edition Chambers Crossword Dictionary today and just had to look up stingy and sure enough…there was that elusive word!

• mary
      Posted April 15, 2013 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

:-)

Posted April 15, 2013 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

Not in mine – probably need a new one anyway – it’s a good thing that I don’t have to look up things beginning with the last letter of the alphabet too often as the last bit seems to have disappeared. Can go to the end of the ‘Y’ ‘s – yucky is the last one!

27. Arthur Dent
    Posted April 15, 2013 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

Normally I don’t like Mondays – but today I managed to finish with only a few peeks at the hints to “check” my answers.

I “did a Mary” and put “discovered” in for 1a. I got 2d right but managed to write the letters in the grid the wrong way round somehow which made 10a impossible.

I’m not especially happy anout 17a. I had “BEAD” originally because I thought “part of the rosary” was the definition and the wordplay was a homophone (recited) of “the monk”. Surely this can work either way? (Or am I missing something?).

Anyway – grudging thanks to my least favourite setter (I have to admit I did enjoy this one really) and big thanks to Libellule for his very clear hints.

• mary
      Posted April 15, 2013 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

17a could work either way Arthur, I am always getting these the wrong way round but there is only one correct answer and luckily today I got it!
      I actually didn’t get 1a wrong today almost…but not quite :-)

Posted April 15, 2013 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

For 17a I think that the “this” associated with monk is an indication that it’s ‘this’ (i.e. the monk) which you have to write in as the answer.

• Arthur Dent
          Posted April 15, 2013 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

Well I bow to your superior knowledge. I still think it’s not entirely clear – but thanks for (attempting to) eductate me…

Posted April 15, 2013 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

I have to confess that it was a Kath you did not a Mary! I was the culprit with 1a. I think the expression is credit where credit is due but in this case it’s blame where blame is due. :sad:

• Arthur Dent
        Posted April 15, 2013 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

Doh! – I did it again! I *thought* “Kath” but wrote “Mary”. For 2d I *thought* “ICON” but actually wrote “ICIN” (Don’t ask me why!) This meant that I was trying to make a phrase like “ICE BANQUET” (which fitted the checking letters I had at the time) for 10a. Not having a good day today…

Posted April 15, 2013 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

Tomorrow will be better! :smile:

28. susieW
    Posted April 15, 2013 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

I found this exceptionally easy for a change. Thanks to the setter for a gentle intro to the week, and for Libellule’s hints which, for once, I didn’t need (wonders will never cease!)

29. neveracrossword
    Posted April 15, 2013 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

If I ate a boiled egg for breakfast and if I did puzzles while eating, I might just have finished this before the egg. Considerably easier than last Monday’s – but so it should be at the beginning of the week.

30. stanXYZ
    Posted April 15, 2013 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

A very rare event for me today … I managed a Rufus without any hold-ups … two soft-boiled eggs!

Needless to say … the eggs were boiled consecutively, not simultaneously!

31. Annidrum
    Posted April 15, 2013 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Rufus for a lovely puzzle. Most unusually for me */***

32. Derek
    Posted April 15, 2013 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

Pleasant solve from Roger as usual.
    Faves : 11a, 17a, 29a, 4d, 7d & 12d.

Spring is definitely here now – got to the shops for basics without hat today (bar t’hat but not on Ilkley Moor!!).

33. Hrothgar
    Posted April 15, 2013 at 5:59 pm | Permalink

This fell nicely into place.
    Perhaps an easier than usual Monday.
    Thanks Rufus and Libellule.

34. una
    Posted April 15, 2013 at 7:45 pm | Permalink

I agree with everybody, very nice.I liked most if not all the clues. 8d was fun ! Thanks to Rufus and Libellule. 22a excellent.

35. Weekend Wanda
    Posted April 15, 2013 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable but over too quicklyRead paper first on train fro Nottingham to London. Then did half or so before St Pancras and wrote the rest in at the beginning of the return journey. Rufus puzzles are easier but partly I think more of us are on his wavelength. Contrasts with one day last week when I looked through the puzzle and didn’t get one answer. Enjoyed all comments as usual. Last one in for me was 11a. I was thinking Exeunt (or however you spell the stage direction) thanks Rufus Libellule et al.

36. outnumbered
    Posted April 15, 2013 at 9:56 pm | Permalink

I did it later in the day than usual, also thought it was the easiest for some time: */***

37. After 10pm
    Posted April 15, 2013 at 11:08 pm | Permalink

Finished this one quite quickly though 11a was the last to go in. Had to check my answer on this page and I think it’s quite a weak clue. I originally put in “exeunt” but 8d soon told me this was wrong!