ST 2681 (Hints)

Sunday Telegraph Cryptic No 2681 (Hints)

Hints and tips by Big Dave

There’s a new Monthly Prize Puzzle available – why not have a go?

Most of the terms used in these hints are explained in the Glossary and examples are available by clicking on the entry under “See also”.  Definitions are underlined in the clues.

1a           Ruthlessly running clubs after top side demolished (8)
C(lubs) after an anagram (demolished) of TOP SIDE

9a           For which a daughter’s one possible choice? (8)
The A from the clue followed by D(aughter) and a possible choice

11a         Arranged special calls for place in outback (5,7)
An anagram (arranged) of SPECIAL followed by a verb meaning calls on the telephone

Alice Springs

20a         Make big effort, taking son to school (6)
S(on) followed by a verb meaning to school

23a         Male with corrupt lawyer in East producing collective frenzy (4,8)
M(ale) followed by a corrupt lawyer inside the Eastern continent

26a         Spell for beginner in Hamlet, ironically, rather than petty role (4)
This spelling of a beginner is the one hidden inside “Hamlet ironically” rather than the one inside “petty role”

28a         Person who pokes fun at flower-girl in street (8)
AT and a girl named after a flower inside ST(reet)

2d           For example, subject of sultan with a personality disorder (8)
The abbreviation of for example in Latin followed by a subject of a sultanate in the Middle East and the A from the clue

5d           It’s worn over shoulders and head (4)
Two definitions

Cape

7d           Foreigner at first without a right to a lawyer (4)
Start with a word for a foreigner and drop (without) the initial (at first) A

16d         Like euro for German, it’s added to envelope (8)
After the previous German currency!

Postmark

22d         Authorise possible instruction for shock treatment (6)
Split as (4,2) this could be an instruction for treatment of a shock of hair

Perm it

24d         Polish tiny moving bits in old timepiece (4)
A verb meaning to polish and the tiny grains in an old-fashioned timepiece

Sand

25d         Sticky wicket set up for spinners (4)
Reverse (set up in a down clue) a sticky wicket or tricky situation

Tops

If you need further help then please ask and I will see what I can do.

Today it’s Happy Birthday to Ronan Keating (36) and Miranda Richardson (55)
Miranda Richardson

Posted March 3, 2013 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

*/*** for me for this one which all fell smoothly into place.

I see in 10a that the animal of the week has made yet another appearance! Thanks very much to the setter and to BD for his hints, which I only needed to confirm that I had got 25d right. I understood the spinners part, but not the sticky wicket! Nevertheless a lovely clue for cricket lovers such as me.

I didn’t know you could spell 26a with an “i”, but the clue leads nicely to the correct spelling expected for the answer. 23a was my favourite today.

The weather seemed promising here in London earlier after an overnight frost, but now it‘s gone dull again :-(

Posted March 3, 2013 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

Lovely stuff as we have come to expect on a Sunday. Thanks to Virgilius and BD.

At 9 o’clock this morning, we had warm sun, blue sky, skylarks singing, lambs gambolling in the field. Now we have mist making its way slowly across the marsh and the sun seems to have taken fright.

3. Only fools
    Posted March 3, 2013 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

4 * enjoyment for me .
    Faves -all of them .
    Took a while to parse 12d
    Last one in 24d which Iam still smiling about .
    Thanks very much

Posted March 3, 2013 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

A lovely puzzle on a beautiful sunny morning. It’s so nice to have learnt so much from this great blog that I can, after years of struggling with Sunday crosswords, finally appreciate them. Having some sun is also pretty good!
    I didn’t have too much trouble with this one although untangling 23a took a while. I didn’t know that 26a, or its alternative spelling, was a learner and I was stupidly slow to get 24d which was my last one. 15a would have been easier if I hadn’t swapped the fifth and sixth letters of 6d – I did think at the time that what I had wasn’t really ‘put together’! :roll:
    I liked 13, 16 and 23a and 12 (another one that took a bit of thought to work out why) and 16d. Favourite was 22d.
    With thanks to Virgilius and BD.
    Off to the garden . . .

Posted March 3, 2013 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

I too had the wrong order of letters in 6d for a gnoment until I realised I couldn’t solve 15a. Memo to self – read clue properly.

Posted March 3, 2013 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

Unfortunately my wrong letters stayed there for a bit longer than a gnoment! Oh dear!! AND the sun has gone in . . .
        Where is everyone today?

Posted March 3, 2013 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

Probably out enjoying ‘our’ sun :(

• Tantalus
          Posted March 3, 2013 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

We are all with Pommers starting our own freedom of speech blog!

Posted March 3, 2013 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Virgilius and to Big Dave for the hints. Enjoyed this one a lot, no problems was 2*/4*for me. Started with 2d, finished with 24d. Favourites were 15 & 23a and 4d. 10a appeared for the third consecutive day. Sun just came out in Central London. Have a great weekend all.

6. Derek
    Posted March 3, 2013 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable Sunday puzzle from Brian – as usual!!

Faves : 11a, 16a, 23a, 27a, 3d, 12d, 17d & 24d.

Weather here in NL is slowly perking up – now only two-and-half weeks to go to the equinox!

Posted March 3, 2013 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable today. Last in was 7d as it is not a term we had heard of but got the construct in the end. Not sure I fully understand the ‘forwards rear’ bit in 8d though the answer was obvious from the checking letters and the final part of the clue.
    So nice to be able to get the two across clues early, gives one the confidence to go on :-)
    Thx to Virgilus for the puzzle and to BD for the hints.

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted March 3, 2013 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

Brian, “forward’s rear” is directing you to the last letter of forwarD.

8. jezza
    Posted March 3, 2013 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

Not too tricky, but I did have to tease out the wordplay for a couple.
    Many thanks to Virgilius for a top notch puzzle, and to BD for the hints.

Posted March 3, 2013 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable puzzle, piece of cake, so thanks to all. However, did have some “must be but don’t know why” moments, 12d being one and 17d being another. I did eventually twig 24d. Just worked out 17d, missed the anagram. Still cold here, with tomorrow morning being the coldest in the 40s F, but sun is out today so may be able to get in pool.

Posted March 3, 2013 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

Enjoyable as usual – took a long time to get the wordplay at 12 d and 23 a – thank you Virgilius and thanks to BD for your hints.

11. Flashling
    Posted March 3, 2013 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

Nice little puzzle, took me ages to spot 7d, kept looking for a word to remove R from.

Thanks B & BD

12. gnomethang
    Posted March 3, 2013 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

I solved this at about 10 a.m. before walking out into the open air, blinking, and wondering what was going on. Lovely day. Lovely puzzle.
    Thaks to Virgilius, BD for the hints and the Baby Jesus fo the gift of Life,

• gnomethang
      Posted March 3, 2013 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

Oh, and Gareth Bale to score first with a 2-1 win ;-)

13. una
    Posted March 3, 2013 at 6:50 pm | Permalink

It must have been easy because I am not begging for help , for once. 12d has to be right, because it fits the definition and the checkers, but the clue leaves me completely baffled. Where is the bear ? Or the anxiety ? A cool but spring-like day again.And what’s this about Pommers starting a free speech blog?Thanks to Big Dave and Virgilius

• stanXYZ
      Posted March 3, 2013 at 7:04 pm | Permalink

The bear is someone who plays the stock market. “Initially” in the clue indicates taking the starting letters of the four previous words and inserting them inside the “bear”.

• una
        Posted March 3, 2013 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

I see it now, thank you. Pretty complicated.

Posted March 3, 2013 at 7:29 pm | Permalink

Thank you. I was completely lost there but, like Una, knew it had to be right. Very convoluted.

Posted March 3, 2013 at 11:16 pm | Permalink

So again I’m asking where the hell is everyone else today . . . ? Come on, you lot, wakey, wakey! Actually you might as well forget that – we had a late night yesterday, it’s now after 11.00pm and I’m going to bed pretty soon. Night night all. zzzzzzzzzz

• pommers
      Posted March 3, 2013 at 11:29 pm | Permalink

I’m here, but did a ‘bad thing’ so keeping gob shut for now. See you on 21 March perhaps – no , that’s not an anagram indicator!

• mary
      Posted March 4, 2013 at 7:54 am | Permalink

Nice day out in sunshine with family, sorry Kath :-)

• Up The Creek
      Posted March 4, 2013 at 10:57 am | Permalink

i gave up trying to find the Sunday puzzle months ago – its too well hidden. Do the Express Skeleton instead.