Prize Puzzle – March 2013

Monthly Prize Puzzle No 10 (March 2013) by Zaphod

+ – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – +

Why not have a go at our tenth Monthly Prize Puzzle?  The winner will receive their choice of any of the current Telegraph  Crossword Books.  As Franco, last month’s winner, declined his prize, the book donated by Tilsit has rolled over to this month.

Please note that, due to punitive postal charges,  while the competition is open to all, the prize is only available to UK solvers.

A review will follow after the closing date (16th March 2013).

MPP - 10

The puzzle is available by clicking on the above grid.

I’ve left this post open for comments, but if you don’t want your comment to be deleted then avoid asking for or giving help with the clues.

1. pommers
    Posted March 2, 2013 at 10:36 am | Permalink

Enjoyed this one so many thanks to Zaphod.

Odd puzzle in some ways in that most of it was fairly gentle but then a few to give a real sting in the tail. Last in was 14a and favourite was 5d.

2. Colmce
    Posted March 2, 2013 at 11:22 am | Permalink

Enjoyed this one, agree with Pommers fiendish in parts.

Thanks Zaphod.

3. Only fools
    Posted March 2, 2013 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

“Sting in the tail” summed it up perfectly where a handful or so of clues took quite some pondering .14a very clever and pop knowledge found wanting for 11a .
    Very enjoyable .
    Thanks very much .

4. gazza
    Posted March 2, 2013 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

A very enjoyable puzzle, thanks to Zaphod. As others have said some of the clues are very gentle and others quite tricky – it would be interesting to know which ‘head’ set which clues.

Posted March 2, 2013 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

I know some of who did which but I am not saying!!

Posted March 3, 2013 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

Does that mean that setting this one was a combined effort?
        Completely stuck on five answers now – have a feeling that I may not get much further but will keep ‘perservating’ whenever it works its way to the top of whatever heap happens to be in front of me!

Posted March 3, 2013 at 6:16 pm | Permalink

As was revealed when Zaphod set the original Monthly Prize Puzzle the two heads belong to Tilsit and Hieroglyph.

Posted March 3, 2013 at 11:02 pm | Permalink

Thank you, gazza. I had no idea. The Monthly Prize Puzzle and the NTSPP are both things that I have come to fairly recently. If you hadn’t told me to stop apologising so recently I would have said sorry for not having found this out for myself.
            Having used all of my ten fingers I think that the first MPP must have been last June . . ?

5. KiwiColin
    Posted March 2, 2013 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

Agree with the sting in the tail. Having worked out the answer quite early on helped with some extra letters though. A good fun puzzle that should attract a bit hatful of entries this month. Submitted for the HAG.
    Thanks Zaphod.

6. axe
    Posted March 4, 2013 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable addition to the MPP. Many thanks to both Zaphod heads ( one gentle and the other a lot more devious ).

Looking forward to the review.