DT 27115 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 27115 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Crossword Club

There’s a new Monthly Prize Puzzle available today – why not have a go?

1a           Range for cooking crumpets (8)
An anagram (cooking) of CRUMPETS

Spectrum of colours

10a         Chapter owns tatty blue robe for priest (8)
C(hapter) followed by a verb meaning owns and an anagram (tatty) of BLUE

Chasuble

11a         Officer after lover for dance (8)
A Non-Commissioned Officer follows (after) a lover

Flamenco

16a         Feel warmth or get tanned — it’s a scorcher (5-7)
An anagram (get tanned) of FEEL WARMTH OR

Flamethrower

21a         Representative of Indian political scandal being talked of? (8)
This representative sounds like (being talked of) a political scandal based in an Indian city – ever since the scandal involving Richard Nixon, political scandals have been named by using the same four-letter subscript

23a         Material making newspaper close down (8)
A general name for a newspaper followed by a three-letter verb meaning to close down

Organdie

26a         Condemn one to be removed from consciousness (8)
The I (one) is dropped (to be removed) from a word meaning consciousness

2d           Like some kings and queens having power advanced (6)
These kings and queens come from London’s East End – P(ower) followed by an adjective meaning advanced

Pearly King and Queen

5d           Nick beset by vermin, getting germ (7)
A verb meaning to nick or steal inside some vermine

8d           Almost part with sweetheart — it offers a bigger prize (8)
Most of a part in a play or film followed by a sweetheart

13d         Ancient Asian city, a spot in desert (9)
Put a spot or stain inside the what is generally regarded as being the main constituent of a desert

Samarkand

14d         Like Big Brother, nail lower masses (9)
An anagram (masses) of NAIL LOWER

17d         After Bible study, habit is to make amends (7)
The two-letter abbreviation for Bible study followed by a habit or item of clothing

22d         Film star Richard embracing new style (5)
Put the surname of Hollywood actor Richard around N(ew)

Richard Gere

The Crossword Club is now open. Feel free to leave comments.

The Quick crossword pun: {chatter} + {nougat} = {Chattanooga}

Posted March 2, 2013 at 11:15 am | Permalink

Funny coincidence – I bought a new lemon squeezer this morning and on returning home, found that the back pager (it really really is on the back page today) was lemon squeezy too. Well I thought so anyway, perhaps I was in the ‘zone’. Thanks to the Saturday Mysteron and BD.

2. mary
    Posted March 2, 2013 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Morning all, thanks for the hints Dave, didn’t need them today not even for an explaination :-) the top half went in fairly easily then the bottom right leaving me with a few to puzzle over in the bottom left, not knowing that the first part of 23a was a word for newspaper didn’t helpbut it couldn’t be anything else,I know it’s an oldie but I really do like 9a, makes me smile , I didn’t like the last part of 21a for political scandal though
    Another beautiful sunny day here, hopefully going to take the motorhome for a spin later, hope the sun shines for all of you today

3. Franny
    Posted March 2, 2013 at 11:27 am | Permalink

I got through this pretty smoothly today, only needing one of the hints and enjoying a number of the clues. I’ve just one left to find and that’s 12a. On one hand it seems pretty obvious, but I can’t make it fit the clue — bike races? Thanks to Mr Ron and BD. Have a good weekend everyone. :-)

• mary
      Posted March 2, 2013 at 11:30 am | Permalink

Bike races as on the Isle of Man I think Franny

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted March 2, 2013 at 11:33 am | Permalink

Do you know the two letter abbreviation for the famous Isle of Man motor bike races?

• mary
      Posted March 2, 2013 at 11:34 am | Permalink

Definition is ‘military display’ take a three letter word for also and put it around a one letter abbreviation for advanced and a two letter abbreviation for bike races on the Isle of Man

• Franny
        Posted March 2, 2013 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

Thanks Mary and Rabbit Dave. I’d never heard of these bike races, but all is clear now. :-)

Posted March 2, 2013 at 11:27 am | Permalink

Yes CS, it’s good to be back on the back page! Many thanks to the setter for an enjoyable Saturday puzzle and to BD for his review.

13d was a new city on me, but I was able to work it out from the clue and checking letters, verifying the answer on Google.

23 across held me up for a bit and was my last one in. Now I have the beautiful Simon & Garfunkel song “For Emily… ” running through my brain as the lyrics start “What a dream I had. Pressed in 23a”.

• stanXYZ
      Posted March 2, 2013 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

RD, one of my favourite songs … I now realise that I have never understood the lyrics. I had always thought it was referring to having pressed one of the the D keys on a keyboard. “Pressed an 23a”

• Rabbit Dave
        Posted March 2, 2013 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

:-)

I don’t think Paul Simon would be overly impressed with your interpretation of his poetry!

5. Colmce
    Posted March 2, 2013 at 11:30 am | Permalink

Found this fairly straight forward after I’d removed the last Archbishop of Canterbury and put in the right answer.

Thanks to the setter and to BD for the hints which weren’t needed for a change.

Does a new lemon squeezer mean drizzle cake in the naughty corner? Poised to supply some answers if that is the case.

Posted March 2, 2013 at 11:51 am | Permalink

Sorry no – I am not making cake today – my favourite Battenburg was on BOGOF in Sainsbury’s. If you are very good (or naughty!) I might spare a slice.

• Tantalus
      Posted March 2, 2013 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

Ekac – my favorite (favourite)

• Collywobbles
      Posted March 2, 2013 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

Despite all the hints Col I could do with help on 23a so that you can get some of CSs’ Battenberg

• Collywobbles
        Posted March 2, 2013 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

It’s all right, I’ve got it although I think it’s a bit abstruse. It was a Gnomethang moment and we havn’t had one of those for a while

Posted March 2, 2013 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

Hands off my cake!

23a is a type of material – the first five letters are an means of communicating information such as a newspaper and the last three mean to close down or stop working.

• Collywobbles
          Posted March 2, 2013 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

Thanks CS, I got that but I thought the word for newspaper was a bit weak. Point taken on the cake

6. graham
    Posted March 2, 2013 at 11:34 am | Permalink

A fairly easy saturday offering although got held up on 23A and 13D.Thanks BD for the review,have a good weekend everybody.

• mary
      Posted March 2, 2013 at 11:36 am | Permalink

Those were my last two in graham

Posted March 2, 2013 at 11:37 am | Permalink

Bit of a curates egg for me, some very straightforward clues such as 9a and some very tricky ones like 23a together with an unknown word in 10a.
    Obviously a prize puzzle. Thx to BD for some hints which were needed today.

• mary
      Posted March 2, 2013 at 11:39 am | Permalink

Now if you’d been going to church like me Brian ever since I can remember you would know 10a :-)

8. steve_the_beard
    Posted March 2, 2013 at 11:57 am | Permalink

Well, it’s a lovely day, the Sun is shining, I’m about to go out on my bike and the crossword was a delight :-)

Last one in was 23A, a new word for me but it was well-clued and therefore unambiguous. Hey, I’m a bloke, I always thought I was doing well to know the other dress fabric with the same five leading letters!

Re 21A; I really, really hate the stupid and lazy journalistic habit of using that four-letter suffix to indicate a scandal of some sort.

So, it’s thanks to BD and setter, and heigh-ho for the high road for me.

• Poppy
      Posted March 2, 2013 at 11:59 am | Permalink

Hear, hear!

Posted March 2, 2013 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

So overused and now stale as year-old bread … Ugh

• Poppy
        Posted March 2, 2013 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

For a moment I thought you meant my response to StB! :-)

Posted March 2, 2013 at 4:43 pm | Permalink

No, not at all! I was referring to the thingy that opens into a field that is added on to everything these days to indicate scandals.

• Poppy
            Posted March 2, 2013 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

That’s a relief ;-) and the yellow thing has suddenly appeared in the sky over the Thames while I was walking Poppy!

9. Poppy
    Posted March 2, 2013 at 11:57 am | Permalink

At last! I actually made it through and without filling in all the blank spaces with either rhubarb or george as the train traveller did hoping to impress his fellow passengers with the speed with which he completed his Times crossword – and then made the mistake of leaving the paper behind as he disembarked! So once again this site has helped shore up my very dented confidence after the week (thanks Kath :-) !). So glad Mary has sun, but wouldn’t mind some sharing. Even the ring-tailed parakeets around here in their thousands are complaining! Hope everyone has a good weekend and thanks to setter & BD.

Posted March 2, 2013 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

If, like me, you are still wrapped up in layers of clothing, looking out at a very grey sky, I can recommend a go at today’s NTSPP and the MPP too.

We are promised sun next week – I’ll believe it when I actually see it.

Posted March 2, 2013 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

We are cold even here in Miami. I think I might hie myself to the Amazon Basin to be guaranteed warm living.

Posted March 2, 2013 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

I agree with everyone else – quite quick and straightforward although I was ridiculously slow to get 13a which was my last one in – and we had the blasted pig earlier in the week too!
    I’d never come across 10a before.
    I thought there were some good clues – 6a (made me laugh) and 26a and 7, 13, 14 (took me a while) and 18d.
    With thanks to Mr Ron and BD.
    No sun here – grey and cold and a few little snowflakes on early morning dog walk. :sad:
    Off to pub now to meet a few old friends who I trained with and shared a house with a long time ago – we were SO naughty . . .!

• Tantalus
      Posted March 2, 2013 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

lots of cake then?

Posted March 2, 2013 at 7:06 pm | Permalink

Why? I haven’t done anything wrong, yet!!

Posted March 2, 2013 at 7:08 pm | Permalink

Forget that – just got there!!

• Brock
      Posted March 3, 2013 at 7:14 am | Permalink

Explain 13a. Got hog part but what about rest?

• Brock
        Posted March 3, 2013 at 8:07 am | Permalink

Had ***** start hence problems then saw ANAG! Silly me

12. Only fools
    Posted March 2, 2013 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

I thought this was one of the more enjoyable Saturday puzzles .Not difficult but not a walkover .Faves 8d,13a .
    Lovely sunny day again in North Yorks .
    Thanks very much .

13. Caravaggio
    Posted March 2, 2013 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

I didn’t experience any difficulty with this puzzle but I have had internet connection problems this morning and couldn’t post a reply before now. However, I have had to check the veracity of the answer to 25a, because I was doubtful whether the word existed, but I notice that no-one else has commented. Is it me? No, don’t answer that!

• Tantalus
      Posted March 2, 2013 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

I’m with you on this…

• Poppy
        Posted March 2, 2013 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

Yes, so am I. Never heard that use before but presume the mighty BRB has ruled!

14. Tantalus
    Posted March 2, 2013 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

Thanks to BD and Mr Ron. Mrs T and I are enjoying an early tea and toast having dropped off our kids at the airport (from shower to gate in 49 minutes.. what a panic). Sunny and brisk here in the Commonwealth. Mrs T has not forgiven Gazza for the Tennis Player pic yesterday.

Posted March 2, 2013 at 7:10 pm | Permalink

Naughty corner for you – you’ve mentioned part of an answer in your comment!

15. Jo
    Posted March 2, 2013 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

Just wondering, after reading some of the comments if it is possible to get the crossword on an android. I got the message that I needed Flash Player & it wasn’t supported. Do any of you get the DT crossword on your mobile devices?

Posted March 2, 2013 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

Have a look under Frequently Asked Questions – there’s a tab at the top of the page. It explains all sorts of things about technological ways of accessing the crossword. Don’t know how to do it myself – I prefer the dead tree version.

• Tantalus
      Posted March 2, 2013 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

http://puzzles.telegraph.co.uk/site/search_puzzle_number?id=19402 does the trick on iPhone. You need to have a subscription.

Would DT allow BD to publish the grid?

• Jo
      Posted March 2, 2013 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

Thanks you two. i already looked at the FAQ Sue but didn’t find anything. Will try your link Tantalus – I do subscribe & print it off every morning but just wondered if I could do it on line without sitting at the computer.

• Poppy
        Posted March 2, 2013 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

Prolixic mentioned at the birthday bash last month that he found a way to access the puzzles on his mobile gear – via the Crux App. Don’t know if it only applies to Apple iPhones or iPads, but might be worth checking out?

16. neveracrossword
    Posted March 2, 2013 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

Didn’t the hog make an appearance yesterday? 13 down was a refreshing change from Petra. The last few fell into place after a 5 minute power nap. Hope the weather is improving in the Vega Baja – we are off on our hols near there next week.

• steve_the_beard
      Posted March 2, 2013 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

Yes, the hog is popular right now :-)

17. gazza
    Posted March 2, 2013 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

Those wanting some more entertainment should have a go at the NTSPP – it’s not tremendously difficult but do be prepared to resist the need for a snack.

18. spindrift
    Posted March 2, 2013 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

Got stuck in the SW corner but after some persevation & a trip to the cash n carry everything slipped into place. Thanks to setter & to BD whose hints were not required today.
    As there’s no rugby today I’ve got time for the MPP, the NTSPP & maybe even the FT.

Posted March 2, 2013 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

Don’t forget the prize puzzle in the Graun.

• spindrift
        Posted March 2, 2013 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

Thank you! I won’t have time for dinner at this rate.

Posted March 2, 2013 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

I have the possibility of solving all of them, plus the Times, plus two puzzles I have been sent to test, after I hve finished the blog of today’s NTSPP, and I really must do the ironing at some point today, not to mention putting clean linen on the bed before we actually need to sleep in it.

So many decisions and so little time!

• spindrift
            Posted March 2, 2013 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

You don’t leap over tall buildings in a single bound as well do you?

Posted March 2, 2013 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

Not on Saturdays :D

• spindrift
                Posted March 2, 2013 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

I’ve put the ironing off until tomorrow after I’ve finished the no doubt splendid puzzle from V.

• Captain Lethargy
            Posted March 3, 2013 at 11:16 am | Permalink

Theres a really good ironing lady in Birchington. Very good and reasonable!

Posted March 3, 2013 at 11:50 am | Permalink

Bit far away for Spindrift although would work for me! My ironing was polished off yesterday afternoon and all for free!

• spindrift
                Posted March 3, 2013 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

The ironing pile is sat there in the corner looking positively malevolent as I sit here having just finished the NTSPP. It’s no good one of us has to go. I’m off t’pub.

19. Michael
    Posted March 2, 2013 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

NTSPP – wossat?

The Saturday crossword is always a lot easier – 23a required me going to my new BRB – well worth it!

Posted March 2, 2013 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

For the very reason that the Saturday crossword is always a lot easier, BD kindly provides an alternate ‘Not the Saturday Prize Puzzle’ on the blog. If you scroll up to the top of the page, under the calendar you will see ‘recent posts’ and the top one of the list is this week’s NTSPP>

Posted March 2, 2013 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

The top half went in a treat, then hit a speed bump (in Jamaica we used to call them sleeping policemen) but as soon as I got 13a, with help from trusty gizmo, the rest slipped in. I agree about 25a, very clumsy. Thanks to setter and BD.

21. dolllar
    Posted March 2, 2013 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

For us over here in Obamaland, 2 down a complete mystery. However, British gal pal saved the day with some East End culcha.

• steve_the_beard
      Posted March 2, 2013 at 8:25 pm | Permalink

You must forgive me, but briefly I misread your comment as saying that “the second one down” was a mystery… I don’t think that for a moment, as I know many of your compatriots who are not short of this quality! :-)

However, now I’ve read your comment properly, I do worry that you’ll think us rude to refer to you guys as “septics”. Your Brit gal pal will elucidate, I’m sure…

22. Kingsley
    Posted March 2, 2013 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

Very bucked with myself…finished today without needing any of the hints (for the first time!) during the first half of the Super 15 rugby match between the Blue Bulls (Pretoria team) vs the Western Force (Perth, Australia team). Then came to check the conversations on Big Dave’s blog, and now off to watch the second half. (For the Northern hemisphere non-rugby enthusiasts, the Super 15 is a tournament between five South African, five Australian and five New Zealand rugby teams, and the Bulls are presently leading the Force by 14 – 9.)

• steve_the_beard
      Posted March 2, 2013 at 8:05 pm | Permalink

Some days, Life really is a bowl of cherries! :-)

23. williamus
    Posted March 2, 2013 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

After Thursday’s struggle (didn’t get to do yesterdays) this was a very welcome puzzle. 10a and 13d were new words for me but enjoyable because they had to be that way… isn’t nice when you look it up in Chambers or Pears and find that it was right? 23a was last in and I thought at first that it was a new word too, but it’s been here a few times I think.

Many thanks to BD and the setter. Lovely day here in Birmingham.

Have a good weekend all

• steve_the_beard
      Posted March 2, 2013 at 8:08 pm | Permalink

Re the Friday Cryptic; it was a fair bit easier than the Friday standard, and very enjoyable too, so you might want to go back to that at some point!

Re 23D; that was a new one for me, I only knew the dress material that is one letter shorter but shares the same first five letters. You wouldn’t be thinking of that one, would you?

• williamus
        Posted March 2, 2013 at 8:42 pm | Permalink

Certainly will. I don’t possess the attention span and determination that many here clearly have, so I tend to do three, maybe four, a week but almost always Saturday’s. For some reason I’ve done every one since last Wednesday, so decided to have a rest. Thursday’s tee’d me up for that nicely!

I’m not sure which version of 23a I’ve seen before (here or elsewhere) but the BRB on my iPhone offers two versions sharing the first 6 letters with the shorter one being an American usage… I guess you must be referring to the one ending in za and yes, I suspect you’re right, it’s that word I’ve seen here before. Again the iPhone BRB says that it’s another version of the first two but one made from silk or synthetic fibres… OMG! I’m becoming an expert in women’s frillies! :-D

Posted March 2, 2013 at 5:10 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Mr Ron & to Big Dave for the hints. I must be a bit dim today, needed the hints for 2d and 11a. Managed the rest ok, very enjoyable puzzle. Was 2*/4*for me. Favourites were 21a and 13d. New word for me 10a. Sun popped out this afternoon in Central London.

Posted March 2, 2013 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

Done in bits and pieces during the day – thank you setter, very enjoyable distraction from birdwatching ! and thank you BD for hints. Quite cold on S. Cumbria coast but fine. Wonderful sight of 30 Whooper swans on migration working their way up the Cumbrian coast before launching off West to Iceland. New word for me at 10a – Mrs SW came to the rescue even though I had decoded the wordplay !

26. Dawn
    Posted March 2, 2013 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

It’s been a beautiful morning and washing almost dried here.

The top half went in fairly quickly and the bottom half has been a real struggle and I’ve still got 25a to go. Pleased as Punch that I got 10a and 13d unaided.

Thanks as ever to BD for the hints, needed the one for 2d and thanks to the setter as well.

Would some kind soul put me out of my misery on 25a please, I guess a colour is included in the answer but I am really stumped on this one.

Posted March 2, 2013 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

25a Poles getting independence – Communist turns more spiteful (6)
      Abbreviations for the two poles followed by the abbreviation for independence and the reversal of an informal word for a Communist.

• Dawn
        Posted March 2, 2013 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

Thanks Gazza, clear as a bell now…I had the second half of the answer but it didn’t get me very far :D

27. Xavier
    Posted March 2, 2013 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

Got really stuck on 23 across. Never heard of a newspaper called this and never heard of the material! Everything else was pretty easy though.

• steve_the_beard
      Posted March 2, 2013 at 8:28 pm | Permalink

Hi Xavier.

Re the word that the newspaper is…

In the BRB it is the fourth of the definitions of that word, right after “*****” (don’t blame me, I’m just quoting the dictionary here!).

• Posted March 2, 2013 at 9:31 pm | Permalink

Please don’t provide alternative definitions. The one you gave has nothing to do with the clue.

• steve_the_beard
          Posted March 2, 2013 at 10:21 pm | Permalink

BD – mea culpa, that’s a fair point.

28. una
    Posted March 2, 2013 at 8:37 pm | Permalink

last one for me 25a, the first three letters ,minus the middle one,I don’t know for sure what the definition is. Any help gratefully received.!13a took a age ,and then , ping , it went in.

• steve_the_beard
      Posted March 2, 2013 at 8:52 pm | Permalink

Hi Una

Look up, two comments earlier, at Dawn’s 5:42 PM entry. Gazza explained 25A.

• una
        Posted March 2, 2013 at 9:22 pm | Permalink

Thanks, I hadn’t thought of those poles,I was thinking more about sticks. Those poles always take me off-guard. Thanks to the setter and to BD and Gazza.

29. Derek
    Posted March 2, 2013 at 10:56 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed this one.
    Faves : 10a, 21a, 23a, 2d, 13d & 15d.

• una
      Posted March 3, 2013 at 12:39 am | Permalink

hope you had a nice dinner tonight. We had 7 guests for lunch, so it’s just the (tasty) left-overs for us.

30. Little Dave
    Posted March 3, 2013 at 9:35 am | Permalink

I struggled in part with this and 8d and 23a stumped me until this morning. Now all done so pleased. Enjoy your Sunday folks.

31. Sarah
    Posted March 3, 2013 at 6:36 pm | Permalink

Please could anyone explain 19A for me? I have an anwer: the usual **** in * ******* *** – but it doesn’t seem to be the right part of speech to mean hunger, ie a verb not a noun. Or am I barking up completely the wrong tree?

Posted March 3, 2013 at 7:04 pm | Permalink

I’ve censored your comment [but you are correct]. Hunger can be a verb as well as a noun.

• Posted March 3, 2013 at 7:11 pm | Permalink

Even though to hunger can be a verb, it is being used as a noun in the clue, a usage which some crossword editors would not accept.

• Sarah
      Posted March 4, 2013 at 10:58 am | Permalink

Oh dear, I’m so sorry I had to be censored on only my 2nd day of taking part … and I thought I was being careful. I did realize after I’d posted that hunger could also be a verb but it seemed to me to have a different meaning.

• Posted March 4, 2013 at 11:12 am | Permalink

I’m not quite sure why you were censored – I think gazza was a bit cavalier with his wielding of the blue pencil!

• Sarah
          Posted March 4, 2013 at 11:23 am | Permalink

Thanks BD – that makes me feel slightly better!

Posted March 4, 2013 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Sorry, Sarah – I can’t remember what you wrote now or why I thought it needed censoring. Probably a case of ‘all power corrupts’. :D