Toughie 922

Toughie No 922 by Warbler

All the rage

BD Rating – Difficulty **Enjoyment ****

Once again Warbler gives us an excellent, if gentle, start to the Toughie week.

1a    International survey provides precedent (4,4)
{TEST CASE} – an international cricket or rugby match followed by a survey or investigation

5a    Some think it’s childishly sentimental (6)
{KITSCH} – hidden (some) inside the clue

9a    A new molten outburst could yield hydrogen for example (3-5)
{NON-METAL} – an anagram (outburst) of A N(ew) MOLTEN

10a    Is vote misrepresented in left-wing council? (6)
{SOVIET} – an anagram (misrepresented) of IS VOTE

12a    Though top’s gone missing navigational aid is still going strong (6)
{EXTANT} – drop the initial letter (top’s gone missing) from an old-fashioned navigational aid

13a    Alarmingly out of breath Panther pilot finds where to land (8)
{HELIPORT} – an anagram (alarmingly) of (pant)HER PILOT without the pant (out of breath)

15a    Corrupt set going before judge and jury ultimately (7)
{PUTREFY} – a word meaning to set followed by a judge of a sporting contest and the final letter (ultimately) of jurY

16a    Muscle  complaint (4)
{BEEF} – a double definition – muscle or force and a complaint or grievance

20a    Having lost stern, sloop drifts into Northern capital (4)
{OSLO} – an anagram (drifts) of SLOO(p) without its final letter (having lost stern)

21a    In hospital duty is rigorous (7)
{SPARTAN} – an abbreviated convalescent hospital around a duty or function

25a    Player’s initially happy with stroke (8)
{BACKHAND} – a football defender (player) followed by the initial letter of Happy and a conjunction meaning “with” gives a tennis stroke

26a    Losing heart ruffian turns ugly? (6)
{UNFAIR} – an anagram (turns) of RUF(F)IAN without its middle letter (losing heart)

28a    Priest will get round that woman (6)
{FATHER} – an adjective meaning round or tubby followed by the pronoun for that woman

29a    College in the style of US institute will have final year fiasco (8)
{CALAMITY} – C(ollege) followed by in the style of, a US institute and finally Y(ear)

30a    Belittle exercise in conversation (6)
{LESSEN} – sounds (in conversation) like an exercise or schoolwork

31a    To come to a stop by A-road is normal practice (8)
{STANDARD} – a verb meaning to come to a stop followed the A from the clue and the abbreviation of R(oa)D

1d    Decoration shimmeringly glistens at the centre (6)
{TINSEL} – an anagram (shimmeringly) of the inner letters (at the centre) of (g)LISTEN(s)

2d    To speak about money that will get a return makes sound sense (6)
{SANITY} – a three-letter word meaning to speak around the reversal (that will get a return) of a slang word for money

3d    Most of distinct new fashion is uncluttered (5-3)
{CLEAN-CUT} – all but the final R (most of) of an adjective meaning distinct followed by N(ew) and a word meaning fashion or look

4d    Mascara conceals blemish (4)
{SCAR} – hidden (conceals) inside the clue

6d    Satirical piece starts to infuriate comedian (6)
{IRONIC} – a bit tricky – a slang word for a gun (a piece is also slang for a gun) followed by the initial letters of (starts to) the final two words of the clue

7d    Fancy silver raised work embedded in garment (4-4)
{SLIP-OVER} – an anagram (fancy) of SILVER with the reversal (raised) of an abbreviation for a musical work inside (embedded in)

8d    Stolen goods are the in thing (3,5)
{HOT STUFF} – an adjective meaning stolen followed by some goods

11d    A class act (7)
{PERFORM} – a three-letter word meaning a, as in 50p a pound, followed by a class

14d    Feeling about for nail dropped in booze (7)
{GROPING} – a small nail inside (dropped in) a slang word for booze

17d    Fellow unionist’s participation in restoration of old tub is uncertain (8)
{DOUBTFUL} – F(ellow) and U(nionist) inside (participation in) an anagram (restoration) of OLD TUB

18d    A staple cooked with a touch of class is soothing (8)
{PLACATES} – an anagram (cooked) of A STAPLE with C (a touch of Class)

19d    Keep up feigned animation after love has flown (8)
{MAINTAIN} – an anagram (feigned) of ANIMATI(O)N without the O (after love has flown)

22d    I’m delighted with variable energy scheme (6)
{WHEEZE} – an exclamation indicating delight followed by a mathematical variable and E(nergy)

23d    Lava is treated as a kind of liquid (6)
{SALIVA} – an anagram (treated) of LAVA IS

24d    French vote in favour — Mitterrand finally unravelled (6)
{FRAYED} – FR(ench) followed by a vote in favour and the final letter of MitterranD

27d    Nearly all of dough’s gone (4)
{PAST} – drop the final E (nearly all) from a dough or mush

I have decided to stop using the blog’s Facebook page for the photos taken at Cruciverbal Meetings, as some of the albums have been deleted without prior notice – all power corrupts but absolute power corrupts absolutely.   The pictures of the recent meeting at Little Venice can be seen here.

1. Big Boab
    Posted February 5, 2013 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

Enjoyable enough toughie but hardly scintillating, a few too many anagram type answers for my taste. Thanks to Warbler and BD.

2. Posted February 5, 2013 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

Dave,
    The answer to 6D should be IRONIC not IRONY.

Thanks for your kind comments.

• Posted February 5, 2013 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

A bit ironic! Now corrected.

3. Pegasus
    Posted February 5, 2013 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

Gentle but entertaining start to the week thanks to Warbler and to Big Dave for the hints, Dave typo at 6d ,

Posted February 5, 2013 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Warbler & to Big Dave. If this is easy, then I’m in for a rough ride for the rest of the week. Had a go, but ground to a halt, needed 12 hints, 6 of which I had to look up.

• Poppy
      Posted February 5, 2013 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

Glad it wasn’t just me :-)

• Heno
        Posted February 5, 2013 at 10:47 pm | Permalink

Hi Poppy, I find the Toughies just that ! I’ve only ever finished two unaided, and one of them was last Thursday when it had a one star difficulty. I hope to improve enough to have a good crack at the Toughies. This blog will get me there one day, I know it.

Posted February 5, 2013 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

Gentle and entertaining sums it up for me too. Thanks to Warbler and BD.

6. Poppy
    Posted February 5, 2013 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

Well thanks to CS’s encouragement, I’ve had a go at this (my third Toughie ever). Good learning curve for me, & if I manage to keep going my vocabulary should become impressive. But I needed loads of help! :-) Many thanks to Warbler, & to BD.

Posted February 5, 2013 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

Do keep perservating with the Tougies Poppy – don’t forget that some of us had 40 years experience of DT cryptics before the Toughie puzzles were invented!

• Poppy
        Posted February 5, 2013 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

Wow, I had no idea. That’s really encouraging, CS, thanks! The sheer speed you demonstrate is (to quote some dear American friends of ours) awesome

• gnomethang
          Posted February 5, 2013 at 8:23 pm | Permalink

You should check out some of her Times on the ‘TimesfortheTimes’ journal!
          Puts a lot of potential finalists to shame.

• Poppy
            Posted February 5, 2013 at 9:15 pm | Permalink

Oooo-er – never heard of that site before & just had a look. I’m creeping back into my burrow now!!
            Oh I’m SO grateful that putting solving times is discouraged on this site (while I can see that for the expert solvers, timings must be part of the fun / competition). Perhaps in a hundred years…. :-)

• andy
              Posted February 5, 2013 at 9:39 pm | Permalink

You and me me both Poppy, I can only dream! Maybe in 40 years time with all that experience I may get close. Doubtful in the extreme. Gnomethang, do you think we can persuade CSue to enter next year?

Posted February 5, 2013 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

22d was the clue that took several looks before the right answer emerged. For some reason I wanted to put in “Cheese” but it would not fit the word-play in any shape or form. A puzzle that kept me smiling from start to finish.
    Thanks Warbler and BD.
    KiwiColin flying solo.

• jezza
      Posted February 5, 2013 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

22d was my last in too. Thanks to Warbler, and to BD.

8. gnomethang
    Posted February 5, 2013 at 8:21 pm | Permalink

The usual enjoyable puzzle that we need have come to expect from Warbler. there were a few that weren’t finished on the morning commute but that fell quickly on the return journey .
    Thanks to Warbler and BD.

9. andy
    Posted February 5, 2013 at 9:28 pm | Permalink

thanks BD for helping me understand the “piece”, entered but why? Thanks also to warbler, Father indeed, i did like that.

10. Gilbert
    Posted February 5, 2013 at 10:28 pm | Permalink

Shouldn’t the clue for 29a include ‘first’ instead of ‘final’?

• Posted February 5, 2013 at 10:30 pm | Permalink

I took final as meaning at the end of the answer. Y is an abbreviation for Year and doesn’t need a separate indication.

• 2Kiwis
      Posted February 5, 2013 at 10:35 pm | Permalink

I read the clue as meaning the final letter of the answer is the abbreviation for Year.
      Cheers.