DT 27091 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 27091 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Crossword Club

The Monthly  Prize Crossword for February  is now available.

1a           Safety officer‘s fine when European comes back about bonus (4-6)
Take FINE  from the clue, move the E back one place (European comes back) then insert a type of bonus or recognition of merit .

Fire-warden

17a         Coterie including private group (6)
To get a group of seven, insert the three letter abbreviation for private (I had to check in the BRB!) into a coterie or group of persons or things.

Septet

21a         I remained still in poverty — it was Thatcher’s policy (13)
Insert I  (from the clue) and a way of saying remained still, possibly in a chair, into the state of being deprived of something (poverty).

27a         Sit angrily suffering sore throat (10)
An anagram (suffering) of SIT ANGRILY produces a complaint that a lot of people seem to have at the moment

Laryngitis

1d           Motor manufacturer favouring Germany (4)
The preposition meaning in favour of  followed by the IVR Code for Germany.

Ford

5d           In France she procures end of John Terry perhaps (5)
Very cheeky surface reading!!!  However, it isn’t that naughty!  The French word for ‘she’ should be followed by the end letter of John.    This example (perhaps) of someone with the surname of  Terry was the leading Shakespearean and comic actress in the late 1800s.

Elllen Terry

11d         Four in rubbish London suburb just get by (6,1,6)
Insert the Roman ‘numberal’ for four between a synonym for rubbish and one of the London boroughs.

13d         Apply scheme to get in sought-after Swiss cheese perhaps (5,5)
Not Emmenthal but an example (perhaps) of something tropical grown in a pot!    Insert into an adjective meaning sought-after or most wanted (3), a verb meaning to apply or put to some purpose (3) and a scheme or plot, and then split the result 5, 5.

Swiss Cheese Plant

23d         Goddess — one affectionate way to address girl (4)
Possibly Crosswordland’s favourite Egyptian goddess – I (from the clue) and the affectionate way you might address your female sibling.

Isis

There were lots of other clues where I felt that people might need a hint or two, but I felt we might  end up like a weekday blog!  Do shout if you need any more help and I will see what I can do.

Hope everyone enjoys themselves at the Cruciverbalists Convention.  I really wish I could be there too.

The Crossword Club is now open. Feel free to leave comments.

The Quick crossword pun: {stay} + {tusk} + {woe}  = {status quo}

1. Colmce
    Posted February 2, 2013 at 9:57 am | Permalink

Owing to awful Telegraph app I can’t download today’s paper.

Would be grateful if someone could email a PDF of today’s puzzle.

Posted February 2, 2013 at 10:05 am | Permalink

Give me a minute and it should arrive in your inbox.

Cold enough for you today? Just hung out the washing – the sun is nice but the windchill is something else!

• Colmce
        Posted February 2, 2013 at 10:25 am | Permalink

Thanks,

Tis a tad chilly, double fleece at least.

• Collywobbles
        Posted February 2, 2013 at 10:33 am | Permalink

I’m having the same problem CS. Could you e.mail it to me too. Many thanks

Posted February 2, 2013 at 10:38 am | Permalink

You have mail.

• Collywobbles
          Posted February 2, 2013 at 10:49 am | Permalink

Many thanks CS

• Collywobbles
            Posted February 2, 2013 at 11:00 am | Permalink

CS, Do you know how I can turn a pdf file into something that I can type onto?

Posted February 2, 2013 at 11:03 am | Permalink

Not unless I am at work. Can’t you print it off and use a pen or pencil – that’s what I do

• Collywobbles
                Posted February 2, 2013 at 11:07 am | Permalink

Doh! Good idea

• Posted February 2, 2013 at 8:37 pm | Permalink

Mine downloaded.. Eventually. Really is not good enough. We should not have to rely on the good people here to get our daily crossword fix. Regds to all.

2. Only fools
    Posted February 2, 2013 at 10:30 am | Permalink

Quite enjoyed this despite delay in SW corner ,didn’t see 13d for a while and couldn’t see where the second vowel came from in 17a but now can thank you .Fav 15a.
    2*\ 3* for me .
    Thanks yet again

• Fortis
      Posted February 3, 2013 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

i think there were too many names in it, actors and the race course make for six in one simple puzzle, i had never heard of the cheese before but having googled it i see the connection not too difficult this time

Posted February 2, 2013 at 10:34 am | Permalink

What is the BRB? Got an answer to 17a but no idea what the three letter abbreviation for private is and utterly stumped by 11d which s the last.

Posted February 2, 2013 at 10:35 am | Permalink

Chambers is a Big Red Book!! Have a look at your answer for 17a, remove the group and see what letters you are left with. I have given the best hint I can for 11d. Have another look.

• Brian
        Posted February 2, 2013 at 10:42 am | Permalink

Thx Sue, not heard it called that before. My answer was right, Mrs B got the TLA. Still stuck on that pesky 11d. Despite the excellent hint. The only bit I can see is the Roman numeral part. The rest is currently shrouded in the mists of crossword land

Posted February 2, 2013 at 10:47 am | Permalink

If you have the ‘numberal’ bit , you must surely be able to get the third word. Then read out the clue again to Mrs B, tell her the third word and I am sure she will be able to ‘see’ it for you!

• una
            Posted February 2, 2013 at 9:13 pm | Permalink

Not being a Londoner or even English I am stumped about the third word in 11d, also 19a to be honest ,last two. any guidance accepted.The only suburb I can think of is on the Heathrow line , rather west London.

Posted February 2, 2013 at 9:17 pm | Permalink

19a is an anagram (brought about) of NO HARM AT which should give you the most gruelling event for athletes.
              11d the third word is a synonym for existence. – the whole thing is an expression we might use to say that we have having a hard time making enough money to buy all the essentials.

• una
                Posted February 2, 2013 at 9:32 pm | Permalink

Thank you, got them both now, still don’t get what the London suburb had to do with anything.

• una
                  Posted February 2, 2013 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

Oh ! get it now and it was the suburb I was thinking of.

• jezza
              Posted February 2, 2013 at 9:18 pm | Permalink

19a – An anagram (brought about) of ‘no harm at’ gives a ‘gruelling event’ or perhaps a test of endurance.

• Brian
          Posted February 2, 2013 at 10:49 am | Permalink

Got the 11d but would take issue that the first word is rubbish, try taking it to a metal dealer and see how much it is worth.!
          Apart from those four clues I really enjoyed today’s but found the final ones very frustrating.

• una
          Posted February 2, 2013 at 10:32 pm | Permalink

I recently acquired a BRB “the Chambers Crossword Dictionary” and it helps enormously, too much so ,in fact ,that instead of having brain bleeding sessions , I am simply looking up BRB far too often and getting the right answers.My solving ability has increased but my enjoyment has decreased.

Posted February 2, 2013 at 11:01 am | Permalink

Cant thank you enough CS for the 13d hint ! I looked Swiss up in the BRB and still fell into the trap of thinking “cheese” even though the answer was right in front of me !! Other than that managed OK. So thank you CS for your hints and setter for an enjoyable puzzle. Looking forward to the rugby and not having to go to the Reebok !

Hope you all enjoy the get together today.

5. Chris
    Posted February 2, 2013 at 11:01 am | Permalink

Took a little longer today. 17A was the last one in, and 21D was a “guess and google ” for me. Thanks Crypticsue! I hope everyone has a lovely time at the gathering today.

6. Colmce
    Posted February 2, 2013 at 11:06 am | Permalink

This was a bit trickier than the usual Saturday offering, but having sorted out the anagrams and a spelling error on my part it fell into place.

No tissues were harmed in the solving of this puzzle.

Thanks to CS for sending me a PDF and for the review.
    Thanks to the setter, for an entertaining puzzle.

The Telegraph Ipad app is absolutely hopeless, words will be had on Monday.

• Attila Thehun
      Posted February 2, 2013 at 7:47 pm | Permalink

I had – for a change – no issues with the app … other than the usual ones of being slow to allow access and occasionally bombing out. As to the crossword, I found it a **/**.

7. Rufus the Dog
    Posted February 2, 2013 at 11:07 am | Permalink

All done :) Not too bad although been laid up with some rotten 48 hour flu like things so have laptop at bedside. Second part of 7d was new to me… 13d I had the answer but needed the hint to work out why

Posted February 2, 2013 at 11:08 am | Permalink

If I had a £1 for every time that cat had been in a crossword…..

• Rufus the Dog
        Posted February 2, 2013 at 11:16 am | Permalink

it shall not defeat me again!! … especially when you consider my MacBook’s operating system :D

• Tantalus
          Posted February 2, 2013 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

Rumour has it that Lynx could be the name for 10.9

• steve_the_beard
        Posted February 2, 2013 at 10:16 pm | Permalink

(singing) There’s no leopard like snow leopard, like no leopard I know…

OK, I’ll stop now…

8. mary
    Posted February 2, 2013 at 11:22 am | Permalink

Good morning all from a lovely sunny West Wales, it might be a bit quiet here today with lucky Kath and Poppy off to London :-)
    Thanks for hints sue, I found this one quite challenging today, had never heard of 24a or 22d! Spelt 27a wrong which didn’t help! Took me ages to work out 1a although I had the answer and I thought 13d belonged in a toughie, too much like hard work to really enjoy today, a lot of getting answers and trying to work out why too, without your hints and my ‘usual’ help from my electronic friends etc. I don’t think I’d have finished this one, a case of the easy ones were easy and the others were tough :-), perservation in bucketloads needed for me

• steve_the_beard
      Posted February 2, 2013 at 10:14 pm | Permalink

Hi Mary

In the old days the 24a fuel additive for this function was lead, but nowadays they use something else, hence “unleaded” petrol.

:-)

9. wingnut
    Posted February 2, 2013 at 11:52 am | Permalink

I don’t like names at the best of times and going back that far in 5d takes the biscuit! Thanks for the explanation of 13d.

• mary
      Posted February 2, 2013 at 11:56 am | Permalink

I agree wingnut never heard of her so needed sues explaination to know why the answer was what it was!

Posted February 2, 2013 at 9:21 pm | Permalink

Nor me . . .

10. Senf
    Posted February 2, 2013 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

Almost there. The anagrams (5?) and the 13 letter clues helped a lot, but I am still mystified by 6a and 7d. All I can think of for the last part of 7d is a small unit of weight, but I am sure that is not right. Any suggestions please?

Posted February 2, 2013 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

7d It is but it is also the most overused cat in the history of crosswords. Preceded it with one of crosswordland’s ‘sailors’ with its middle letter removed (heartlessly)
      6a – is a simple reversal of ‘favourites’ to get something in a flight of ….

• Senf
        Posted February 2, 2013 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

Thanks CS. I think I now recall the cat part from earlier puzzles, let’s hope it sticks in the memory this time. With the check letters I had, I found the answer in my recently acquired BRB (what an amazing volume) under ‘beat’ but the connection with cat eluded me until your response. Thanks again.

11. Jo
    Posted February 2, 2013 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

Well I managed to finish (I hope) but can’t for the life of me fir the clue to my answer to 4 down! Guess it must be obvious since no-one else mentioned it. Anyone out there enlighten me please?

Posted February 2, 2013 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

4d is one I had to look at quite a bit and I almost put in a hint.

A word meaning set up is followed by a heavy weight (large amount) and then I from the clue. The ‘first’ in the clue tells you that you have to put all the rest of the wordplay before the I.

12. neveracrossword
    Posted February 2, 2013 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

I struggled over 13 d even though “apply” and “scheme” were rumbled without difficulty. Have now tucked away Swiss cheese in the crossword memory larder.

13. Caravaggio
    Posted February 2, 2013 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

Well done for holding the fort, Sue! Before I watch Wales take on Ireland at the Millennium Stadium, I’d better mention that 21a did cause me a small problem because I was undecided, briefly, whether the word contained an ‘s’ or a ‘z’. As a rule of thumb, I’ve always maintained that the use of the ‘z’ is the province of our transatlantic cousins but my [British] crossword solver produced that version. I’ve decided I’m right and it’s wrong!

• mary
      Posted February 2, 2013 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

Lets hope Cara that Wales follow the under 20s last night, here we go!

• Caravaggio
        Posted February 2, 2013 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

Literally – and genuinely – a game of two halves, Mary, but that is five successive games that Wales have lost at the Millennium Stadium – the first time they’ve lost five home games in a row… I’m very disappointed but I’ll get over it!

• mary
          Posted February 2, 2013 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

Yes I agree Cara they were never going to win but at least they redeemed themselves somewhat in the second half, I’m over it already :-)

14. Tantalus
    Posted February 2, 2013 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

Many have died for the choice of the z or s and still the war rages.
    Twickers and Super Bowl this weekend. Same game in my book.
    Sunny and cold here in Boston.

Posted February 2, 2013 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

Love Super Bowl Sunday!! I have the whole town to myself as everyone is glued to the box. I can take the dogs to the dog park and they can have it all to themselves. The supermarket will have cashiers idling around and twiddling their thumbs, no waiting lines. I wish it were Super Bowl Sunday every week.

• steve_the_beard
      Posted February 2, 2013 at 10:20 pm | Permalink

The same game? Wash your mouth out, Sir!

15. Tantalus
    Posted February 2, 2013 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

And thanks to CS and all for the enjoyable morning. Mr &Mrs T

16. Derek
    Posted February 2, 2013 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

A pretty straightforward solve today.

Best for me was 13d, then 5d and10a.

Very mixed weather here today – when I went to get the DT after lunch there was a sudden hailstorm – quite big lumps! Then a 20-minute period of sleet so the winter is not over yet!

Since it has been sunny but now is clouding over again.

17. Shawn
    Posted February 2, 2013 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

Sorry to hear that you folk in the Northern Hemisphere are feeling the cold. Here in East London SA, a hot 30 degrees at lunch time today. Wind has cooled things off, but the easterly brings humidity! Finished the crossword….and 16d a new word for me. A lot of our politicians are full of this!
    And thank you for correcting 1a for me.
    Am a winner of R 200 in our paper for crossword 27079 so I do not think I will be able to win again too soon.
    Thanks S.

• mary
      Posted February 2, 2013 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

Well done you Shawn and thanks for the weather update :-( , still at least the sun is still shining here, almost four days in a row now!

• Kingsley
      Posted February 3, 2013 at 5:31 am | Permalink

Conratulations, Shawn, from a fellow East Londoner (that’s East London in South Africa, for those of you born within the sound of Bow Bells!) Be careful when you brag about our weather on this site, Shawn, I got into a bit of trouble last week for doing just that. They have a place here called the naughty corner! (I battled a bit with some of today’s clues. Last one in was 4d. I misunderstood “I set up” and thought the answer had to end “TESI”. Thanks to Sue for the hint!)

18. mary
    Posted February 2, 2013 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

Surprisingly little help needed today on what I thought was at least a three star crossword

Posted February 2, 2013 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

An exceptionally quiet day for the blug but I think people are either glued to the rugby, enjoying themselves in Little Venice, or been blown away by the wind which appears to be coming direct from the North Pole. It dried the washing a treat but I nearly caught pneumonia bringing it back in again.

• mary
        Posted February 2, 2013 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

It’s a beautiful day here sue with very little wind, hope your sight is improving and the op was a sucess

Posted February 2, 2013 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

Still don’t know about the success but fingers crossed. The bubble has gone down more than half way so I can see a fair bit over the top but it is very disconcerting because every time I move my head , the bubble wobbles about.

• mary
            Posted February 2, 2013 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

I’ve never heard of anyone else having that procedure sue, what condition is it for? Sounds awful

Posted February 2, 2013 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

I had (well hopefully it has gone) a small hole in the macular at the back of the eye. I won’t go into the full prcedure, it’ll put people off their tea but you end up with an air bubble in your eye, spend five days face down (which is why I was absent from the blog, not allowed to read or anything!) and the bubble pushes on the retina and repairs the hole. You then have to wait for the bubble to disappear.

• mary
                Posted February 3, 2013 at 9:56 am | Permalink

I really hope it has been successful for you sue :-)

19. jezza
    Posted February 2, 2013 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

I printed this one off this morning, but only just got around to looking at it.
    I quite enjoyed this one; not overly tricky, although I had to have a good look at the wordplay for a couple of my answers.
    Thanks to setter, and to Crypticsue.

Posted February 2, 2013 at 6:18 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter & to CrypticSue for the hints. I enjoyed this one, but found it very tricky. Needed the hint for 13d, what’s Swiss Cheese got to do with it? I also needed the hint for 17a, and electronic help for 14&21a. Favourites were 15a and 7,16,22d.Hope the meet went well.

Posted February 2, 2013 at 7:29 pm | Permalink

Apparently its called ‘Swiss Cheese’ because of the holes in the leaves – I suppose it made someone think of Emmental which also has holes in it.

Posted February 2, 2013 at 6:59 pm | Permalink

Was 3 * /4*

Posted February 2, 2013 at 9:18 pm | Permalink

Well I’ve had a LOVELY day in London. I have met lots of new people – Poppy, andy, and Bufo to name but a few – please forgive me if I’ve left others out.
    Easy journey – did crossword on train – well, most of it anyway. Couldn’t work out why 17a was what I wanted to make it and still can’t see why 15a is what it has to be but no-one else seems to have a problem with it – please tell me if I’m being really dim – just don’t get it. Oh dear!
    Have come home to curry (cooked by husband – he’s a star) and am now completely knackered.
    Just be warned everyone – tomorrow I’m going to be difficult about why they are called what they are on this blog, apart from the obvious ones!
    With thanks to Mr Ron and crypticsue – you were missed, CS.

Posted February 2, 2013 at 9:24 pm | Permalink

I presume you have read the hint for 17a now. 15a – Someone who lives in Oxford and does crosswords must know what the two letter word meaning at college or university is; the final four letters are a round or course, especially that of a policeman.

Glad you had a lovely day – I am really jealous – its been really cold here today and the blog has been really quiet with not many people wanting hints or even a chat.

Your husband is better than mine – I had a yen for lamb biryani so he made me scrambled egg! In his defence we do live 6 miles from the nearest curry emporium.

Posted February 2, 2013 at 10:03 pm | Permalink

Hi, and thank you for 15a – it was the last four letters that completely (last four letters) me!! How stupid!! Too late to be sent to naughty corner now.
        Husband is pretty good – really lovely curry, AND he has coped with collie and Mum.
        VERY cold here too and even worse in London – I always forget how windy and cold the stations are.

• mary
        Posted February 3, 2013 at 9:52 am | Permalink

you are lucky to get scrambled egg sue, my other half just tells me what he needs from the shops!

• una
      Posted February 2, 2013 at 9:57 pm | Permalink

I am really jealous, well not really, but someday I would love to meet people. Please have these events in the half term holidays. I can’t be the only teacher.Perhaps I should send BD my dates when I can attend . Only joking. Also the Irish summer hols are very long -June to end of August.

Posted February 2, 2013 at 9:37 pm | Permalink

My eye says its time it had a rest now but before I go, I must ask ‘Has there ever been a day when Gazza didn’t comment at all before’ and secondly ‘Did he fill in the appropriate form before he\disappeared?’ :)

Night all.

Posted February 2, 2013 at 10:10 pm | Permalink

I’m sure there have been days when gazza hasn’t commented – he is usually the first to help when people get stuck, particularly at weekends. However, if he hasn’t filled in the appropriate form he should have a good telling off – from you, Sue – I wouldn’t dare – I remember only too well what happened to Bionic woman!! :grin:
      Night night all.

• una
      Posted February 2, 2013 at 10:19 pm | Permalink

thanks fo all the assistance, Sue.

• mary
      Posted February 3, 2013 at 9:49 am | Permalink

There are often days when gazza doesn’t comment sue but be aware he is almost certainly watching ;-) , today at least this afternoon, he has almost certainly been engrossed in the rugby, being a Wales supporter, we unfortunately lost!

Posted February 3, 2013 at 9:54 am | Permalink

I just missed him – that was all – if you have a look at all the comments, I was the only blogger who commented at all on this post all day, the only other one who turned up was Prolixic on the Prize Puzzle post.

• mary
          Posted February 3, 2013 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

Yes, I see what you mean in Daves abscence he normally does pop in, he obviously was more than confident to leave it to you :-)

• Posted February 3, 2013 at 1:20 pm | Permalink
              Posted February 3, 2013 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

So you did – sorry don’t know why I forgot that.you had been in communication with us all.

• Steph
              Posted February 3, 2013 at 9:28 pm | Permalink

Any idea why when I hover over the ‘image clues’ nothing appears?

• Posted February 3, 2013 at 9:58 pm | Permalink

Because I didn’t add the pictures! Try again now.

Posted February 3, 2013 at 10:15 pm | Permalink

The ‘old’ system of adding images used to take the title with the saved picture I only noticed yesterday that the ‘new’ system doesn’t!

• Tantalus
          Posted February 3, 2013 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

Sounds like everyone had a great time.

Posted February 3, 2013 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

Plenty of time for the hints to come up for the not to tricky Sunday puzzle – Dave is entitled to his Sunday mornings you know!

Posted February 2, 2013 at 10:14 pm | Permalink

Just a very quick PS as my manners obviously fell into the river or canal or whatever it is around Little Venice.
    Thank you to BD and Elgar for organising today – I really loved it. I hope that those of you who were still standing had a good rest of evening and got home safely.

• mary
      Posted February 3, 2013 at 9:58 am | Permalink

Glad you enjoyed Kath sounded great especially to meet Poppy who is pretty new to the blog

25. Terry Healy
    Posted February 4, 2013 at 9:41 am | Permalink

Could I have some help with 8&13 down please

Posted February 4, 2013 at 10:33 am | Permalink

Certainly. 8d is an anagram (somehow) of NEED PRIEST,, the definition is the last five words
      13d I have given a hint, other people have commented and there is even a picture!!

26. Terry Healy
    Posted February 4, 2013 at 11:18 am | Permalink

Got 13 down now just need 8 down please
    Terry

• jezza
      Posted February 4, 2013 at 11:35 am | Permalink

I think crypticsue has given a hint in her previous post.
      The definition is ‘to ordain (or determine) before the event’ and is an anagram (somehow) of NEED PRIEST.

27. Terry Healy
    Posted February 4, 2013 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

28. Terry Healy
    Posted February 4, 2013 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

Thank You Jezza,Iam still unsure I have 1 3 5 7 9 letters
    could i have an extra nudge please

Posted February 4, 2013 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

It is difficult to know how much more of a nudge we can give. Take out the letters you have from the anagram fodder and then try and fit the others in

29. Terry Healy
    Posted February 4, 2013 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

Thank you my mind was a complete blank