Hints and tips by Gazza

BD Rating – Difficulty **Enjoyment ****

We have a fairly gentle but entertaining puzzle from Giovanni today. How did you get on?
If you need to reveal an answer you’ll have to highlight the text hidden inside the brackets under the clue. If you’re using a smart mobile device rather than a PC there are some tips on how to achieve this in the FAQ.

Across Clues

1a  They can penetrate only 60 per cent of our puzzles (6)
{SWORDS} – only six of the ten letters making up our favourite pastime.

5a  Planetary satellite will be in astronomical list, obviously (8)
{CALLISTO} – one of the moons of Jupiter is hidden (will be) in the clue.

9a  Strict police policy? It could be to clear zone when monarch enters (4,9)
{ZERO TOLERANCE} – an anagram (it could be) of TO CLEAR ZONE with the letters identifying our current monarch inserted.

10a  Mythical creature associated with work by English novelist (8)
{TROLLOPE} – this could be either a nineteenth century novelist or his distant relative Joanna. String together a bad-tempered dwarf from Scandinavian mythology, the abbreviation for an artistic work and E(nglish).

11a  Wisdom maybe shown by invader (6)
{NORMAN} – double definition, comic or conqueror.

12a  Dangerous personality could make cop shy (6)
{PSYCHO} – this dangerous personality is an anagram (could make) of COP SHY.

14a  The heartless bishop needs the Good Book — no leader, dreadful! (8)
{TERRIBLE} – string together a) T(h)E without its heart, b) the two-letter abbreviation for the title awarded to a bishop and c) the Good Book without its leading letter.

16a  US city in desert perhaps with one personality (3,5)
{SAN DIEGO} – a charade of what there’s a lot of in some deserts, I (Roman numeral for one) and a personality or self-image.

19a  Wolf gets round yard to enter sheepfold? (6)
{COYOTE} – insert the round letter and Y(ard) into a shelter for animals or birds (especially doves). The question mark indicates that sheepfold is just an example of this shelter.

21a  Boring feature of cricket practice (3,3)
{DRY RUN} – a charade of an adjective meaning boring or bland and what a batsman attempts to score (feature of cricket).

23a  Insincere praise less exciting, given to unknown character (8)
{FLATTERY} – a comparative meaning less exciting or more mundane is followed by one of the algebraic unknowns.

25a  Frightful rogue banned, so watch out (2,2,3’1,5)
{BE ON ONE’S GUARD} – an anagram (frightful) of ROGUE BANNED SO. There does seem to have been a change of policy and we’ve now seen a number of apostrophes identified in the enumeration, which will please some people. On the other hand it can make the answer too obvious. Where do you stand on this?

26a  A big game involving detectives in searching examination (4,4)
{ACID TEST} – A (from the clue) and an international match (big game) contain the abbreviation for the branch of a police force where the detectives work. Their powers of detection are not always held in the highest regard by their uniformed colleagues; I was once told by a uniformed inspector ‘If there were two detectives in a phone box and one of them farted they wouldn’t be able to detect which one had done it’.

27a  Stop Society being restricted by one sort of believer (6)
{DESIST} – the abbreviation of S(ociety) is contained inside someone who believes in the existence of a supreme creator but thinks that he (or she) doesn’t interact with humanity in any way (so there’s no point in praying, for example).

Down Clues

2d  They perform magic with one character finishing in hospital accommodation (7)
{WIZARDS} – I (one) and the character that comes last (in the alphabet) go inside rooms in a hospital.

3d  River — a name for one in the country (5)
{RURAL} – start with the abbreviation of R(iver) then add the name of one specific river that flows through Russia and Kazakhstan.

4d  Thus church embraces German very quietly spoken (5,4)
{SOTTO VOCE} – a word meaning thus or ‘in this way’ is followed by the abbreviation for the Church of England. This contains (embraces) what German men are called in Crosswordland (if they’re not called Hans, that is) and V(ery).

5d  Most serene maiden imprisoned in castle wickedly (7)
{CALMEST} – insert the abbreviation in cricket for a maiden over in an anagram (wickedly) of CASTLE.

6d  Actress left before fiddler rolled up (5)
{LOREN} – this is the surname of a famous Italian film star. Start with L(eft) then add the reversal (rolled up, in a down clue) of the unhinged Roman emperor who was said to have played the fiddle while his city burned (though the story is doubtful since the violin was not invented for another 1500 years or so).

7d  What redevelopment could make nicer: tiny downtown area (5,4)
{INNER CITY} – an anagram (what redevelopment could make) of the answer would give us NICER TINY.

8d  That lot joining everybody in London thoroughfare (3,4)
{THE MALL} – a way of referring to other unspecified people (that lot) is followed by a synonym for everybody.

13d  Cow adored being unconventional — see it in a tree! (9)
{CEDARWOOD} – an anagram (being unconventional) of COW ADORED.

15d  No longer devoid of drink,  being able to supply juice again? (9)
{RECHARGED} – double definition, relating to the replenishment of a) a glass and b) a battery.

17d  Old boy, somehow I race around — is the exercise this? (7)
{AEROBIC} – the abbreviation for old boy has an anagram (somehow) of I RACE placed round it.

18d  Unconventional, like a suspended copper? (7)
{OFFBEAT} – cryptically a suspended policeman could be this (3,4).

20d  Violent words may be heard in Far Eastern attacks (7)
{TIRADES} – these sound like Thai raids.

22d  End of life before long after it’s been set up? (5)
{NOOSE} – the end letter of (lif)E has after it an adverb meaning before long then it’s all reversed (been set up, in a down clue). The whole clue is the definition so this is an all-in-one.

24d  Vehicles the reverse of stylish (5)
{TRAMS} – reverse an adjective meaning stylish or elegant.

The clues that entertained me most today were 21a, 6d and 22d. What did it for you?

Today’s Quickie Pun: {STAYER} + {WELLES} = {STAIRWELLS}

Posted February 1, 2013 at 11:09 am | Permalink

Usual brilliance from the Friday maestro. So many good clues but my favourite was 1a although does 20d count as pun?

Posted February 1, 2013 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

I know you don’t struggle with Giovanni crosswords but my first thought on reading 1a was ‘BRIANS’. Sorry but I couldn’t resist :D

• Steve_the_beard
        Posted February 1, 2013 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

Dear CS, I hope Brian is as amused by your laugh-out-loud comment as I was ;-)

• Brian
        Posted February 1, 2013 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

No I reckon you are about right tho possible it’s more like 40% these days :-)

2. Colmce
    Posted February 1, 2013 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Another lovely puzzle.

Thanks to the 2 Gs.

I like the apostrophe, working on the basis that I need all the help I can get.

3. Digby
    Posted February 1, 2013 at 11:11 am | Permalink

Gentle but amusing to cheer up a dull day in Sussex.
    Stupidly missed the double definition in 11a, which was last in.
    Have a nice weekend, everyone.

Posted February 1, 2013 at 11:11 am | Permalink

Found this to be one of Giovanni’s easier puzzles, but nonetheless enjoyable – thank you DG.

5a – a new one for me – lack of GK again ! Thank you Gazza for your hints and review. Yesterday I was thinking of asking why the back page puzzle had returned to the back page. I don’t think I will bother now – I will just give in and buy a shiny new E-Class Merc !

Posted February 1, 2013 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

Never heard of it either, but it was so obviously a hidden word, I just googled it and learned something new

5. Qix
    Posted February 1, 2013 at 11:17 am | Permalink

The usual quality work from Giovanni.

I’m not at all a fan of apostrophes in enumeration – they do seem to make things a bit too easy for the solver.

6. Wayne
    Posted February 1, 2013 at 11:17 am | Permalink

A gentle crossword for a friday. Thought at first it might be a pangram (the ‘Z’ in 9a). Guessed 19a which took me some time to parse. Thanx to Compiler and to Gazza for the review. */**** rating for me.

Posted February 1, 2013 at 11:17 am | Permalink

I started off really well with the top half and thought it was going to be a doddle but then slowed down and changed my mind. I agree with gazza’s ratings for both difficulty and enjoyment.
    I’ve never heard of 5a but, unusually for me with this kind of answer, it jumped out at me. I didn’t know that a cote was an animal shelter as well as one for doves. Wasn’t sure what to try to make the anagram from with 25a so waited until I had some other letters in – not sure about the apostrophe – I think I like it. I was held up with 13d as I thought it might be a bird.
    I liked 1a and 18 and 20.
    With thanks to Giovanni and gazza.

8. Posted February 1, 2013 at 11:22 am | Permalink

Anyone else have a problem with the I pod version of today’s paper, it has been downloading (on and off) for two hours now. Does anyone have a PDF version I could look at in the mean time, please?

Posted February 1, 2013 at 11:28 am | Permalink

.. on its way.

• Posted February 1, 2013 at 11:34 am | Permalink

Many Thanks – (Still only 38% downloaded)

• Posted February 1, 2013 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

I agree with today’s BD rating. Many thanks to Gazza for sending me a paper version. I was about half way through when the download finished. It felt strange using a pen and paper. I actually tapped the piece of paper more than once to go to that clue. Very odd behaviour! regds to all.

• Poppy
      Posted February 1, 2013 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

Yes, I couldn’t download it properly until a few minutes ago. Don’t know what causes that – its all strange magic to me!

• Posted February 1, 2013 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

Thanks for that. At least it wasn’t just me.

9. Beaver
    Posted February 1, 2013 at 11:31 am | Permalink

A very ‘light hearted’ puzzle today full of interesting clues and misdirections,i score it **/**** too( i always think of a score before i read the blog).Thanks Gazza for the amusing’pics’, especially the lovely Mrs Ponti, now that’s a ‘wasp waist’Apart from 16a,which took ages,i was ‘tuned in’.

10. jezza
    Posted February 1, 2013 at 11:38 am | Permalink

Many thanks to Giovanni for the entertaining puzzle, and to Gazza for the review.
    2*/4* for me.

Just finished the toughie, and that was most enjoyable too!

11. skempie
    Posted February 1, 2013 at 11:38 am | Permalink

Another enjoyable offering from The Don. 5A was no problem for me as I used to read a lot of Arthur C Clarke and I recall this moon being referred to in 2010:Odyssey Two. 18A held me up for a tad as I immediately put Las Vegas in, soon realised it was wrong though. Enjoyed 20D but today’s fave rave must be 2D – even if I did want to spell it with a double Z (anybody who remembers some of my previous posts should know why)

12. Only fools
    Posted February 1, 2013 at 11:43 am | Permalink

No matter how undemanding a Giovanni puzzle you cannot help but enjoy it .Quite a few smiles but 1a,11a,18 d ,20d probable favs .
    Can live with or without apostrophes .
    1* / 4+* for me .
    Thanks once again .

Nigel had instant download this morning sorry you obviously did not .

Posted February 1, 2013 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

The site seems to have lost half my comment inc my request for an explanation of RR for a bishop and my thanks to Giovanni and Gazza.

Posted February 1, 2013 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

A bishop’s title is Right Reverend.

• Colmce
      Posted February 1, 2013 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

Right Reverend.

Beaten by Gazza, fat fingers small keyboard.

• Brian
      Posted February 1, 2013 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

Ah thx guys, must try to remember that. Never met a bishop so wouldn’t know the correct address esp being an Atheist.

• skempie
      Posted February 1, 2013 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

They don’t respond too well to being called ‘Guv’ apparently

14. Big Boab
    Posted February 1, 2013 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

A bit of gentle fun, thanks to Giovanni and Gazza.

Posted February 1, 2013 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

3* difficulty for me but I did enjoy myself Thanks to both the Gs

The Elkamere Toughie wasn’t as tough as some previous examples.

Fans of Virgilius will enjoy today’s themed Brendan in the Graun – the theme makes it eminently finishable.

16. Steve_the_beard
    Posted February 1, 2013 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

Re apostrophes identified in the enumeration.

This pleases me! I strongly feel that the comma, the hyphen and the apostrophe all belong in an enumeration.

Yes, sometimes the enumeration will make it much easier, but that’s just as true for each of these symbols.

17. Steve_the_beard
    Posted February 1, 2013 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

That was fun! I has a very short break for elevenses, when the top half went straight in and I was on a personal best time when I had to stop. Come lunchtime the rest went in in a steady but rather more sedate fashion.

22D was a little disturbing, 27A was the last in and my favourite picture was 6D :-)

Thanks to Giovanni and Gazza, for a fine job by both :-)

Posted February 1, 2013 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

Quiet here today. Where’s Mary – don’t think she ‘showed her face’ yesterday either – hope she’s OK. What about pommers too – he doesn’t seem to have been around for a few days at least.

Posted February 1, 2013 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

It’s acupuncture Friday morning for Mary – not sure about Pommers, think he is resting as much as he can.

I have been quieter today as I have been out of the house – you wouldn’t think a trip to two shops would be so exciting but believe me it was!

Posted February 1, 2013 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

I’d forgotten about Mary’s acupuncture morning – that’s OK then, just as long as she hasn’t gone AWOL again. Glad that you’ve been able to get out – should think you must be suffering from a terrible attack of ‘cooped-up-itis’ by now.

Posted February 1, 2013 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

Mr CS has taken me out a couple of times (to the supermarket) but like all men he doesn’t understand why we need to ‘look at things’, particularly as it takes me that bit longer to focus at the moment – my friend and I like to look and have the same sense of humour so a very enjoyable time was had.

• Poppy
      Posted February 1, 2013 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

Glad you asked, Kath as I’d been wondering as well. And after several bed-bound weeks recently I can really understand CS’s excitement in getting out to the shops! My big thrill will be a double outing tomorrow – first the Cruciverbalists’ gathering and then, as I haven’t been able to get up to London for ages, an evening at the theatre. :-D

Posted February 1, 2013 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

I haven’t been bed bound at all. Five days face down and then the last couple of weeks just sitting about waiting for my vision to reappear in my left eye.

• Poppy
          Posted February 1, 2013 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

Sorry, CS, I meant I had been bed-bound, not you!

• Brian
        Posted February 1, 2013 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

An evening at a London theatre, you must be rich. The last time i tried to book tickets for a show, I was so shocked by the seat price, I asked the young lady if it came with a mortgage application form. She wasn’t amused but Mrs B was :-)

• Poppy
          Posted February 1, 2013 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

Love that! And not having been up to Town for so long, Mr P wanted to push the boat out. But it’s not the West End, but the Hampstead Theatre, where we managed to get the last two seats in the house… And they even do a deal with local parking so we don’t have to buy the car back afterwards.

• una
          Posted February 1, 2013 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

I went to a very good play in the Hampstead Theatre, actually in Swiss Cottage, and it was very inexpensive.Not the West End though

• Poppy
            Posted February 1, 2013 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

You’re right, Una. And then if the play transfers to the West End, one can feel very superior (although I’m sure you’re too nice to feel that!) that one ‘picked’ it before it was recognised… :-)

• una
              Posted February 2, 2013 at 9:25 pm | Permalink

Unfortunately the play I really wanted to see had already transferred because it was so good, but it is a really nice venue and handy if you are on the Northern line.

• Sweet William
          Posted February 1, 2013 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

Brian, we’re going to the ROH in March to the Royal Ballet ! I wont tell you how much the tickets are – but just to say that the opera is 2x !! Enough said. But we only do this once every 2 years !

Posted February 1, 2013 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

What are you going to see at the theatre? Whatever it is I hope you enjoy it. I’m hoping to get there tomorrow but am trying to pick a good time to suggest to husband (who’s a bit overworked at the moment) that he not only does everything that he has to do but also looks after our collie and my 90 year old Mum. Look forward to meeting you, assuming that I get there!

• Poppy
          Posted February 1, 2013 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

Oh Kath, I do hope so! You so encouraged me with your comments that have kept me on track for ‘daring’ to go. And we’re then going on to see “Di and Viv and Rose” which has had rave reviews & is expected to transfer to the West End later. Our little Affenpinscher is going to a friend in Central London, who is too poorly to have a dog these days & so kindly says it makes her day to look after her (& she adores going there). We’re very fortunate.

Posted February 1, 2013 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

The only problem that I remember was names. It’s a bit like going to a party where you don’t know anyone and trying to attach names to faces, only at one of these get togethers most people have not just one name but two – their blog name and their real one – completely defeated me! :roll:

• Poppy
              Posted February 1, 2013 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

I wondered about that aspect. Will have to eat more spinach, or is it carrots, or even something else? :-)

19. neveracrossword
    Posted February 1, 2013 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

Did yesterday’s back page puzzle before lunch and today’s after it. Both enjoyable but I found today’s a bit harder than yesterday’s. Perhaps a go at the toughie after dinner.

• skempie
      Posted February 1, 2013 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

Today’s back pager? Where was that then?

20. una
    Posted February 1, 2013 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

very enjoyable although I didnt find it that easy towards the end towards the end.Thanks to both G’s.

Posted February 1, 2013 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

At the end, I concluded that I did enjoy, though had trouble with the cricket clue and 22d, had to read the hint to get those. Thanks to setter and hinter, otherwise would have fretted all day what the answers were. Having got the answers, I wonder how I missed them. So easy in hindsight.

22. Poppy
    Posted February 1, 2013 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

Finally got to the end, and really enjoyed this. 2/4 for me too. Faves inc. 1a & 11a (after using up time trying to think of a shorter word for wisdom – huh!) and don’t mind either way about the apostrophes but if pushed would probably say like them in. Tried to force ‘orange’ as part of the answer to 15d, until I saw the light. Many thanks to Gazza for enjoyable and helpful blog & to the setter for an entertaining time. May even catch sight of 8d tomorrow! :-)

23. Catherine
    Posted February 1, 2013 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

Agree with Gazza – fairly gentle and entertaining puzzle. Thanks to him and to Giovanni.

Posted February 1, 2013 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the 2 G’s. I enjoyed this one a lot, but had to use the hints for 6d & 11a. Just couldn’t think of either! Favourites were 1,5,16a & 18,20d. Was 2*/4*for me. Really good puzzle.

Posted February 1, 2013 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

We must have been a bit slow as this one took us 3* time. The bottom half a little trickier than the top. Great fun as ever on a Friday.
    Thanks Giovanni and Gazza.

26. Annidrum
    Posted February 1, 2013 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

Great amusing puzzle once again from Giovanni. I managed three quarters of it quite quickly but then had to resort to the hints for 1a, 5a (D’oh) (didn’t know it ,so didn’t see it.) & the rest fell into place. I like the apostrophe.I need all the help I can get. Many thanks to Giovanni & gazza.

27. Derek
    Posted February 1, 2013 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

The usual enjoyable Friday offering from The Don!

Faves : 1a, 11a, 16a, 19a, 4d, 5d, 17d & 20d.

Mixed weather here in NL – a shade warmer now that the snow has gone.

Finishing off the leg of lamb on the bone tonight.

Got a new delivery of Menetou-Salon rouge and white from the vintner.

28. Little Dave
    Posted February 1, 2013 at 6:36 pm | Permalink

Really enjoyed this.

29. neveracrossword
    Posted February 1, 2013 at 7:14 pm | Permalink

In answer to Skempie, the back page puzzle was on the back page. I rearranged the pages to make it so.