DT 27085 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 27085 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Crossword Club

1a           Really it is the quickest way to get high (8,2)
The most direct route to a point above one’s head

8a           Worthless weapon returned by a politician (8)
The reversal (returned) of a weapon is followed by the A from the clue and a Conservative politician

10a         Sentimental type having nervous reaction (8)
A typeface followed by a nervous reaction

11a         Marchers should be foot division? (6)
Split as (2,4) this is what marchers should be

23a         Playful little woman has company going to Kent maybe (6)
The shortened (little) version of a woman’s name, like that of the main character in Little Women, followed by CO(mpany) and the area of England where the county of Kent is situated

27a         Tax produces flippancy when it’s dodged (4)
Start with a word meaning flippancy and drop (dodge) the IT – I’m not sure that this works as it is flippancy that produces a tax when it is dodged

28a         Shake and stretch? You’ll get it if you’re on mine (10)
A verb meaning to shake or brandish followed by a stretch or span – both you and the setter need to be on the same one in order to understand the clue

Wavelength

1d           Second strip that’s worn in summer (8)
S(econd) followed by a verb meaning to strip or disrobe

2d           Three-quarters of army group in administration (6)
The first six letters of an eight-letter group of soldiers, commanded by a colonel

5d           Priest takes craftsman to be supporter of a cause (8)
P(riest) followed by a craftsman

13d         Sweet drink on the rocks? (9)
This type of sweet that many remember nostalgically from their childhood comes from a charade of alcoholic drink followed by what is added to a drink to make it “on the rocks”

19d         Cooking his meat first makes you irritable (8)
An anagram (cooking) of HIS preceded by (first) a type of meat

22d         Falling out on the lake? (6)
What you could be doing if you were in a boat on the lake

I will be at our village Café and Market all morning, where I will be exhibiting some of my mechanical calculators – back after lunch.

The Crossword Club is now open. Feel free to leave comments.

The Quick crossword pun: {Liz} + {Ted} + {Bill} + {dings} = {listed buildings}

1. Colmce
    Posted January 26, 2013 at 9:37 am | Permalink

What a splendid week of crosswords.

Really enjoyed this one, not too difficult but entertaining.

Thanks to BD for the hints.

Thanks to the setter for an interesting start to the day.

Submitted solution with typo, so that’s my £50 gone for a burton:(

The sun is shining!!!

2. mary
    Posted January 26, 2013 at 10:11 am | Permalink

Morning Dave, this fell into place fairly quickly today, though there were some clever clues I don’t have any stand out favourites, thanks for the hints, must admit to using two of them :-)

3. Brenda Reding
    Posted January 26, 2013 at 10:27 am | Permalink

All fine and dandy today though it took longer than it should for 19 and 22D to solve — I went cimpletely blank

Posted January 26, 2013 at 10:37 am | Permalink

As Colmce says, not difficult but entertaining. Thanks to, I presume, Cephas, and to BD too.

The sun is shining here too, the sky is very blue – let’s hope it lasts.

5. Lord Luvvaduck
    Posted January 26, 2013 at 10:39 am | Permalink

Zipped through this one; must be the sun!

6. Brenda Reding
    Posted January 26, 2013 at 10:39 am | Permalink

Sorry, not only fat fingers but no manners either — thankyou very much for a super crossword and helpful hints

Posted January 26, 2013 at 10:39 am | Permalink

One of those which needed two sittings, first pass produced minimal results then the second sitting everything fell nicely into place. Just out of interest has anyone else ever heard of 8a and 23a? Certainly new to me.
    Thx to BD but managed without the hints today. Thx to the setter for an interesting start to the weekend

Posted January 26, 2013 at 10:41 am | Permalink

Brian is obviously suffering from fat fingers too. Does Mrs B know about your interesting tart???? :D

And yes I have heard of both 8a and 23a.

• Brian
        Posted January 26, 2013 at 11:18 am | Permalink

Yes I did notice and quickly edited but you were as always too quick for me

• Poppy
      Posted January 26, 2013 at 10:53 am | Permalink

Can’t say I’ve used them extensively in conversation, but had heard of them.

Posted January 26, 2013 at 11:00 am | Permalink

Not heard 8a before Brian but have heard 23a, never used it though :-)

• Caravaggio
        Posted January 26, 2013 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

Like you, Mary, I had come across 23a before but not 8a – one of those words where you think that you’ve got the answer but have to reach for the dictionary to confirm it. The heavy overnight snow is now melting quickly in the sunshine and will probably have disappeared completely by Monday.

Posted January 26, 2013 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

Sun attempting to come out here Cara but the snow has all gone thank goodness washed away by the heavy rain we had in the night

• williamus
        Posted January 26, 2013 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

My boss used to use 8a regularly when describing my performance and the wasted effort (according to her) that I put into some things… like crosswords

• williamus
      Posted January 26, 2013 at 11:57 am | Permalink

23a was new to me. Rarely fail to learn one new word or derivation in a DT crossword…

Posted January 26, 2013 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

Yes – I’ve met them both before too, although probably only in crosswords rather than in every day conversation.

• steve_the_beard
      Posted January 26, 2013 at 9:04 pm | Permalink

Hi Brian

They are both words that I’ve read but never heard spoken – gubernatorial is another example (much more common in American politics, of course).

• Weekend Wanda
      Posted January 27, 2013 at 10:11 am | Permalink

8a yes, 23a no but easy to build up

8. Poppy
    Posted January 26, 2013 at 10:50 am | Permalink

Enjoyed this immensely – apart from 11a as I struggled with it for far too long, until eventually (with some electronic help) had my ‘doh!’ moment. Many thanks to setter & to BD for the hints. Loving the sunshine today. :-)

Posted January 26, 2013 at 11:01 am | Permalink

Sunshine???

• Poppy
        Posted January 26, 2013 at 11:24 am | Permalink

Oh, Mary – does that mean you’ve not got any? Wish I could courier a big chunk of it over to you – especially after your car snow clearing yesterday! :-)

Posted January 26, 2013 at 11:29 am | Permalink

Thank you Poppy, it is starting to look a bit brighter though and at least all the snow has gone :-)

• Amanda
        Posted January 26, 2013 at 11:34 am | Permalink

It’s sunny in Wokingham, too. Where are you, Mary?
        I really enjoyed this one and managed without hints for once. Had heard of 8a and 23a, though I couldn’t have told you what 8a meant.
        Happy to see that the Quickie is a pangram – I looked that up the other day so now I know what one is.
        Thanks to setter and BD. I love this site!

Posted January 26, 2013 at 11:43 am | Permalink

Hi Amanda I live in West Wales

Posted January 26, 2013 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

Sunny in Oxford too. Blue sky, 5C making it feel almost tropical after the last couple of weeks, and nearly all the snow has thawed. Unfortunately can now see what all the lumps in the garden are – the moles have moved back in! :sad:

9. RBC99
    Posted January 26, 2013 at 11:13 am | Permalink

Having mental block on 24a (only one left) even with checking letters – hesitate to explain what I think the structure is in case I give an alternative clue by mistake:)

A hint would be appreciated – and at least give me the chancve tp say d’oh!!

• RBC99
      Posted January 26, 2013 at 11:14 am | Permalink

Just got it – typical!!

Rob

Posted January 26, 2013 at 11:16 am | Permalink

You are looking for a four letter word for ‘advance’ that when repeated ‘twice’ means ‘be reasonable’

• RBC99
        Posted January 26, 2013 at 11:21 am | Permalink

That was what I thought but for some reason I couldn’t quite get (or do I mean ****) to the right answer.

• Amanda
          Posted January 26, 2013 at 11:39 am | Permalink

That was my last-but-one in and the last was 22d (d’oh!). :)

• steve_the_beard
            Posted January 26, 2013 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

Hi Amanda

Given that you’re a cruciverbalist, I trust that “penultimate” is safely stored in your toolkit :-)

I’m rather fond of “antepenultimate” too, but I don’t often have the chance to use either, alas…

Posted January 26, 2013 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

I absolutely hate 24a – not the clue but if someone says it – sounds SO patronising and makes me bristle in exactly the same way as being told to calm down!

Posted January 26, 2013 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

In fact I don’t thonk it gets said that often does it? I think the (4,2) version is used more?

Posted January 26, 2013 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

That’s just as bad – don’t like either – they both put me into a real grump, although if anyone says it to me it’s probably because I’m already in a real grump!

Posted January 26, 2013 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

:-)

• Hrothgar
          Posted January 26, 2013 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

RIP MW
          Hardly ever hear it nowadays.
          Almost disappeared from our common usage.
          So, why is it a crossword answer?

Posted January 26, 2013 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

What’s MW? Probably glaringly obvious but I haven’t a clue.

• Hrothgar
              Posted January 26, 2013 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

Michael Winner who made famous ‘Calm down dear’. :)
              Sadly, passed away this week.
              (You had mentioned it in your post, I agree, very patronising, Kath :))

Posted January 26, 2013 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

Thanks – of course – SO stupid of me not to twig. Oh dear . . .

10. Only fools
    Posted January 26, 2013 at 11:38 am | Permalink

Having cleared snow,made bacon buns,eaten them,assembled a flat pack bookcase all whilst thinking about my last clue 23a think a personal best may have evaded me .A few other enjoyable clues .
    Lovely sunshine on fresh snow ,but hopefully a thaw on the way .
    Thanks once again .

Posted January 26, 2013 at 11:42 am | Permalink

I know I recommend cogitation time when one is stuck solving a crossword, but that’s taking diversionary thoughts to a whole new level. Bacon buns sound very nice. Mind you I am one who thinks bacon anything is good :)

Posted January 26, 2013 at 11:44 am | Permalink

Clever sue :-)

Posted January 26, 2013 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

what you ‘bacon’ today?

Posted January 26, 2013 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

Nothing Mary, although I am defrosting some squares of ginger cake, which I baked and froze in case anyone came to see me while I was off work……. let’s just say Mr CS and I are doing very well for squares of ginger cake but I am sure I could spare a couple for the corner if required.

• Collywobbles
            Posted January 26, 2013 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

If I volunteer to go to the naughty step can you help me with 27a CS which I can’t get even with BD’s hint. I won’t need any ginger cake

Posted January 26, 2013 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

You need a four letter word for a kind of tax collywobs, I can’t add any more than Dave already has, you need a six letter word for flippancy with the ‘it’ removed

• Collywobbles
                Posted January 26, 2013 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

Thanks Mary, I’ve just realised that the IT is not at either end

• Poppy
        Posted January 26, 2013 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

From what I’ve read in the past on this site, it makes being sent to the naughty step bearable when you’ve been bacon :-D

• Collywobbles
          Posted January 26, 2013 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

No, CS and Mary sometimes provides cake for people on the naughty step so it’s they who are bacon. I can’t bake, I’m a man

Posted January 26, 2013 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

I’m afraid I eat more than I bake!

• steve_the_beard
            Posted January 26, 2013 at 9:14 pm | Permalink

” I can’t bake, I’m a man”? Come, come :-)

• Tantalus
              Posted January 26, 2013 at 10:24 pm | Permalink

surely there is more to determining gender than cooking skills?

Sunny and very cold here is Boston – single digits (F). Furnace packed up last night, so took the motor to bits, much to the chagrin of Mrs T… it was like camping on Everest.

Should get the old girl working soon…

Thx to setter and particularly to BD for not using a lift and separate pic for 1d.

Posted January 26, 2013 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable crossword – I thought it was straightforward and quickish (for me) to do until I ground to a bit of a halt in bottom right corner. Just couldn’t see 22d for ages.
    Lots of good clues – 10 and 20a and 4, 6 and 17d. Favourite 28a – a word used quite a lot in comments here.
    With thanks to Shamus (?) or whoever set this one and to BD.
    All this talk of bacon rolls has made me hungry again – more toast needed.

12. williamus
    Posted January 26, 2013 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

All done. Nicely balanced Saturday crossword. For some reason, last in was 21d . Enjoyed 8a most of all. Many thanks to BD and the setter for an enjoyable distraction to Saturday morning. Sun is trying to come out here in Birmingham. Have a good weekend all.

Posted January 26, 2013 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

If it isn’t sunny where you are and you can’t go outside, I do recommend the themed NTSPP – it’s tricky in places but very enjoyable.

Posted January 26, 2013 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

Just started NTSPP – I’ve done a few but seem to be having a bit of a battle. Might go and say hello to the garden and see if brain goes into action while I’m up there.

14. Attila Thehun
    Posted January 26, 2013 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

My brain is obviously South of Gander while my body is in the (warming up) UK. I just can’t see the wordplay for 7d, although I can guess it from the checking letters.

Posted January 26, 2013 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

It’s an anagram ot ‘to repeat’ indicated by ‘jazzed up’

Posted January 26, 2013 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

Great minds etc but yours is obviously quicker than mine!

• Attila Thehun
        Posted January 26, 2013 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

Bu99er! Missed that completely. At least my answer was correct from the checking letters.

Posted January 26, 2013 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

Re 7d. The definition is a form of entertainment. The anagram indicator is jazzed-up. At least that’s how I see it – could be wrong.

15. Rufus the Dog
    Posted January 26, 2013 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

That was enjoyable. 8a I knew but have not seen it much in common usage whereas 23a was totally new to me.

25a I got ok but cannot explain the clue past the first letter

26a lots of references seem to suggest the last letter is usually different but Chambers has both

Posted January 26, 2013 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

Hi Rufus 25a is a four letter word for whip around roman numeral (number from Rome)

Posted January 26, 2013 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

. . . perhaps I really should go up the garden now! :smile:

Posted January 26, 2013 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

25a is generous. The first two and last two letters are a kind of whip (round) a Roman ‘numberal’ for six.
      26a I’m not sure I know what you mean.

• Rufus the Dog
        Posted January 26, 2013 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

Thanks Mary & Kath… ha ha .. wrong Roman numeral.. obvious when you know how :)

Re : 26a if you wiki it (I know wiki can be a tad unreliable) then you get an alternate spelling. Never mind though as 19d clinches it :)

Posted January 26, 2013 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

26a I’ve only seen with the letter at the end that is in the answer

Posted January 26, 2013 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

Managed this very enjoyable one quickly today with no hints needed. However, although the answer is obvious for 26a, I still can’t see where the fifth letter comes from. The first four letters are a synonym for heather and the last three are “at home” and “one”, so presumably the missing letter is clued from “for all to see” – or am I being completely stupid?

Posted January 26, 2013 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

You’re right. Think about film classifications.

• Rabbit Dave
        Posted January 26, 2013 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

D’oh!

Thanks. I can relax now for the rest of the day…

• Weekend Wanda
        Posted January 27, 2013 at 10:38 am | Permalink

Thanks for this. I did not understand the clueing for the 5th letter. Think it’s very clever. Never seen it before. More used to a Nancy Mitford clue for this letter

Posted January 26, 2013 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

It took me a while to see that too RD the fifth letter…think of cinema viewing for all to see

17. lizwhiz1
    Posted January 26, 2013 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

Can anyone explain the ‘for all to see’ part of 26a???????????

• lizwhiz1
      Posted January 26, 2013 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

oops just seen the reply above :(

18. hippyajs
    Posted January 26, 2013 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

Finished after getting 11a wrong until Big Dave’s clue, still cant see why my answer for 6d is correct. Can anybody give me an extra hint please.

Posted January 26, 2013 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

The answer could relate to the top of Snowdon (as in mountain) and also a memorable part of something

• akap
        Posted January 26, 2013 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

I had “best shot” as answer for 6d, I was thinking of Lord Snowdon, consequently couldn’t get answers for 6a and 9a. So thankyou Mary, all sorted now.

19. Little Dave
    Posted January 26, 2013 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

Sun out here and the white stuff going. Nice to get out into the garden and see some greenery! Zoomed through this last in 23a. Boys outside playing table tennis so peace descends. Thanks to the setter and for the review.

20. Collywobbles
    Posted January 26, 2013 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

Finished. Typical nSaturday and most enjoyable. Took a little longer that normal but appreciated help

21. Dawn
    Posted January 26, 2013 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

Despite going out early for the paper, I am still late to join the party.

Only 9a and 22d to go and cannot see these for the life of me, any nudges gratefully received.

8a was not a new word for me but 23a definitely was.

Thanks as ever to BD for the hints and to the setter too and thank goodness for BRB!

• Dawn
      Posted January 26, 2013 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

Ouch….penny just dropped on 22d :oops:

Posted January 26, 2013 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

9a Overtaking is being used in the sense of engulfing or containing, so you need a verb meaning regretted around what sounds like a child’s word for a horse.

• Dawn
          Posted January 26, 2013 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

• Attila Thehun
          Posted January 26, 2013 at 10:58 pm | Permalink

I’m reminded of the question, “What four letters describe a hungry horse?”

• Franco
            Posted January 26, 2013 at 11:34 pm | Permalink

M T * *

(Thanks to Google – Neigh, Neigh and three times Neigh!)

• Posted January 27, 2013 at 12:04 am | Permalink

You weren’t meant to answer the question, just to keep it to yourself.

Posted January 26, 2013 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

Late on duty today – too much enjoyment of Burns Night then a lot of snow shovelling. Heavy snowfall here in Lancashire overnight, Enjoyed the puzzle, thank you setter and BD for your hints, which, surprisingly I didn’t need !

Posted January 26, 2013 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

Super puzzle, great fun and I loved it. 23a has appeared before, with almost same reference to Little Women. I TRY to do the Times Jumbo every week, so it might have been in that. Thanks to setter and BD.

24. Annidrum
    Posted January 26, 2013 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

Superb puzzle. 8a was a new word for me but although I had heard of 23a I couldn’t see it for ever such a long time.

25. Kingsley
    Posted January 26, 2013 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

Hi All
    Very bucked with myself as today’s was the first Telegraph puzzle I’ve finished without any help from BD! (Although a lot of help from Roget! Does anyone else use such crutches?)
    Actually, there was one clue which (although the answer was obvious) I had not filled in because I also didn’t “get” the reason for the letter in 26a which represented the phrase “for all to see”. Thanks to Gazza for his explanation, so I’ve now filled in the answer.
    I do feel a bit sorry for you chaps in the UK when I read your comments about the weather. My wife and I watch Sky News regularly and feel that we are lucky to be living in a country (South Africa) that has decent weather! It is summer here, it’s ten to seven in the evening (we are two hours ahead of you during your winter), the sun is shining and I’m sitting here in short pants and summer shirt, counting my blessings!

• 2Kiwis
      Posted January 26, 2013 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

It is 6.40 on Sunday morning here in New Zealand and I also am sitting here in short pants and summer shirt too, counting blessings.

Posted January 26, 2013 at 7:40 pm | Permalink

Hi Kingsley and 2Kiwis,
      Welcome to the blog Kingsley. I think that you and 2Kiwis are really pushing your luck talking about sun, shorts and sitting outside! Only joking – well sort of . . . :smile:
      So far as who uses ‘crutches’ such as Roget – well, you will get different answers from everyone. Some people say that it’s cheating (I don’t think that it’s possible to cheat yourself). Most of us, apart from the real experts, use dictionaries – the BRB is ‘The Chamber’s Dictionary’ and called that because it is a Big Red Book – in theory all crossword answers are supposed to be in it. I do think that the most important thing is to enjoy the crosswords.
      Good luck, and keep commenting.

• Franco
        Posted January 26, 2013 at 9:01 pm | Permalink

I think that such comments about the weather from Kingsley and the 2Kiwis should be censored – far worse than “partial answers and alternative clues.”

• Tantalus
          Posted January 26, 2013 at 10:26 pm | Permalink

Agreed – “Would all people wearing shorts in January please make their way to the naughty corner”

• Attila Thehun
            Posted January 26, 2013 at 10:56 pm | Permalink

Now I’m back in the UK, the shorts are back in the bottom drawer. The tanned legs will fade over time. ;) :(

• Kingsley
              Posted January 27, 2013 at 5:14 am | Permalink

Oops! Maybe 2Kiwis and I should restrict any conversation to rugby and cricket! (For the non-followers of sport, SA has just thumped NZ in the just-completed Test series here and they nearly whitewashed us in the ODIs, which ended on Friday, which they won 2-1)

Posted January 26, 2013 at 6:22 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter and to Big Dave for the hints, which I didn’t need today. Quite enjoyed it, started with 1a, finished with 22d. 8a was a new word for me.Favourites were 1d and 28a, which was my penultimate one in. I took ages to get this, so it pushed the puzzle into 2*/3*. 21d was an old chestnut. Great to see the Sun for most of the day in Central London.

27. Little Dave
    Posted January 26, 2013 at 7:41 pm | Permalink

Well done Kingsley.

28. una
    Posted January 26, 2013 at 8:15 pm | Permalink

thanks for all the hints, not all needed, but I am stuck on my last one, 6d, as I am not too good on Welsh geography, any clues please ?

29. una
    Posted January 26, 2013 at 8:20 pm | Permalink

I think I may have worked it out.

30. Derek
    Posted January 26, 2013 at 8:24 pm | Permalink

A pleasant Saturday puzzle.

Faves : 8a, 23a, 24a(rather imperative), 26a, 4d, 6d, 13d & 16d.

13d reminds me of a place in Yorkshire as well as childhood!
    For 6d, concentrate on Y Wyddva not the royal!

• una
      Posted January 26, 2013 at 8:40 pm | Permalink

I have to tell you ,Derek that Y Wyddva means nothing to me at all, I’m afraid.

• Derek
        Posted January 26, 2013 at 8:43 pm | Permalink

Hi Una!

You had better ask Mary then!!!!

Posted January 27, 2013 at 11:28 am | Permalink

Hi Una Yr Wyddfa, is Welsh for Snowdon (the mountain) , there is no ‘v’ in the Welsh alphabet, when a ‘w’ is followed by a ‘y’ it is pronounced ‘oi’, the ‘dd’ is pronounced ‘th’ and the ‘fa’ is pronounced ‘va’ …oithva

• una
          Posted January 27, 2013 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

Hi Mary,Welsh seems to be even more complicated to read than Gaelic.Did it once have its own alphabet ? I was first taught to read in the old gaelic alphabet and teachers gave all instructions in Irish . I didn’t know they were speaking a different language.We figured out what was required more by body language than anything else.Later the english alphabet was introduced and a great many “h”‘s were put into words which made them much longer and harder to read. Perhaps the same thing happened to Welsh.

Posted January 27, 2013 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

I imagine learning to read gaelic must be really difficult, I am not a fluent Welsh speaker and have tried on several occasions to master the language, having been born and bred and lived all my life in Wales oldest town that is not good, I grew up in a house where only my grandfather could speak Welsh thus we didn’t speak it at home, primary school being run by Irish nuns, needless to say there was very little welsh spoken! In secondary school, in form 3 we were given a choice to carry on with Welsh or French, French being the easier I chose that, I do however have a firm grounding in the Welsh language and would know straight away if someone was talking about me!!!

31. una
    Posted January 26, 2013 at 8:28 pm | Permalink

I feel sure that my new solution to 6d is right and nothing to do with geography, but that makes my 9a wrong, assistance needed !

• Derek
      Posted January 26, 2013 at 8:41 pm | Permalink

Hi una!

What do children call a hoss? Or a nag ?

• una
        Posted January 26, 2013 at 9:06 pm | Permalink

finally , thank you. I hope you didn’t take offense at the suggestion that you might write your memoirs.I spent most of the day reading “the poison seed” by Marianne Walter, a marvelous read.I spend most of my spare time reading war time memoirs or histories. But, perhaps you have written yours already.

• Poppy
          Posted January 27, 2013 at 10:46 am | Permalink

Hello Una – I’ve recently finished reading ‘Jock Lewes, Co-founder of the SAS’ by John Lewes. Found it fascinating. Have you read it? Enjoy your blogs & with a very poor (as in non-existent) grasp of Welsh too!

• una
            Posted January 27, 2013 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

Not yet !

• Franco
      Posted January 26, 2013 at 8:43 pm | Permalink

6d – see Mary’s comment #18 above (http://bigdave44.com/2013/01/26/dt-27085-hints/#comment-162614).

She’s Welsh! Mountain? Nudge, nudge!

Maybe your 9a is wrong?

32. Weekend Wanda
    Posted January 27, 2013 at 10:48 am | Permalink

This is the Sunday morning solver signing in. Thanks setter. No hi ts needed but thanks Big D and I enjoyed the comments as usual. Had to correct myself on 1a. Must be my seedy mind – my answer was drug related but seemed to fit unt I got 4d! Also I nearly got 9a wrong with an incorrect first vowel. Luckily I went through the vowels until I could make a word to go round the horse. Listening to the Archers now!

33. mary
    Posted January 27, 2013 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

Hello everyone, I know this is the wrong page to comment on Sundays puzzle but for some reason I can’t open up todays apart from Daves comment at the top! So just popping in to say I enjoyed this one, never heard of 21a but lots of others I liked a two to three star for me today :-), I will try again later on the right page!

• Sweet William
      Posted January 27, 2013 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

Morning Mary – glad its not just me ! I get a big black page with something to do with Silvertide cookies and nothing else !

Like you have finished the Virgilius – good fun as usual. No doubt things will be back to normal soon !

Posted January 27, 2013 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

Hi SW nice to have some company :-)

• una
      Posted January 27, 2013 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

thanks for you help yesterday .I left a comment above but for some reason it is undergoing moderation !

• Posted January 27, 2013 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

That was because you entered you’re name incorrectly – I’ve amended it now.

• una
          Posted January 27, 2013 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

thanks, I am not sure how that happened, fat fingers I suppose.

34. una
    Posted January 27, 2013 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

It happened again. I definitely had nothing to do with it. Weird.