DT 27056 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 27056 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Crossword Club

1a           Waste energy to operate fiddle (6)
Waste or rubbish followed by E(nergy) gives a slang verb meaning to play the fiddle

10a         Outlaw posed scruffily keeping challenge to return (9)
An anagram (scruffily) of POSED around (keeping) the reversal (to return) of a challenge

12a         Right-wing American somehow reckoned to ditch Obama at first (7)
An anagram (somehow) of RECK(O)NED without (to ditch) the O (Obama at first)

14a         A section downsized with skill (5)
The A from the clue followed by the abbreviation of a section of a business

23a         Means to dispose of dead mostly surrounded by massive monument (7)
Most of a means to dispose of a dead body, much used in India, followed by a preposition meaning surrounded by

28a         Snare fish after net damaged (8)
A verb meaning to fish after an anagram (damaged) of NET

29a         Checked out old soldier’s unruly youth (6)
A North American word for an old soldier followed by an unruly fifties youth

1d           Pretentious air actually existing among stars (8)
A charade of a pretentious air and an adjective meaning actually existing

3d           Feel anger towards being taken in by a frontman (9)
A verb meaning to feel anger towards inside (being taken in by) a three-letter word meaning a, as in “revs a minute”

6d           Charity needs steer over footballers with money (5)
A two-letter steer followed by the organisation that runs football and M(oney)

9d           Mention Nick … here he comes! (4,2,3,5)
Mention (4,2) followed by Old Nick (3,5)

17d         Protector of flock to collect old money keeping nothing (8)
A verb meaning to collect followed by a pre-decimal coin (old money) with O (nothing) inserted

24d         Gibson perhaps willing to get fruit (5)
The first name of the star of the Mad Max movies followed by a two-letter word meaning willing to participate in an activity

The Crossword Club is now open. Feel free to leave comments.

The Quick crossword pun: {Pharaoh} + {aisles} = {Faroe Isles}

1. Little Dave
    Posted December 22, 2012 at 10:29 am | Permalink

All done – easiest of the week and nothing really too demanding. Enjoyable nevertheless.

• steve_the_beard
      Posted December 22, 2012 at 10:42 am | Permalink

Ditto :-)

Posted December 22, 2012 at 10:46 am | Permalink

Very enjoyable thank you setter – and may I wish you a Merry Christmas ! Yet another new word for me at 1d. Thank you BD also for the hints. Its grim oop North today ! Don’t think we will be joining in the £5bn spending spree.

Posted December 22, 2012 at 10:53 am | Permalink

Most difficult for a Saturday for a long time for me. The bottom rightt is a complete mystery. Some very weak clues such as 1a and 3d. Not enjoying this one at all.

• Brian
      Posted December 22, 2012 at 10:59 am | Permalink

Ok all done now but don’t see why the last three letters of 29a are an unruly youth or where the old money comes in in 17d! For me one of the poorest Saturday puzzles for a while. Thx to BD for the hint for 1a which I still think is so poor.

Posted December 22, 2012 at 11:04 am | Permalink

the old money is the last letter Brian

Posted December 22, 2012 at 11:05 am | Permalink

as for the last three letters these youth were considered to be a bit unruly

• Lord Luvvaduck
          Posted December 22, 2012 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Isn’t it time these youths were retired – they have got to be well into their seventies by now; perhaps they still lurk in the corners of the old folks’ homes swinging their bike chains in a menacing manner.

Posted December 22, 2012 at 11:25 am | Permalink

mine is 66 LL!

• Lord Luvvaduck
              Posted December 22, 2012 at 11:34 am | Permalink

That sounds more like mods/rockers vintage – happy bank holidays at Brighton.

Posted December 22, 2012 at 11:40 am | Permalink

He definitely comsidered himself one of the others, with the shoes, the jacke,t the drainpipes and the hairstyle, now what was that bit in the front called… I didn’t know him then of course, being way too young :-)

Posted December 22, 2012 at 11:41 am | Permalink

he moved on to the rocker bit with the bike jacket etc!

• Lord Luvvaduck
                  Posted December 22, 2012 at 11:48 am | Permalink

Of course!

• Lord Luvvaduck
                    Posted December 22, 2012 at 11:50 am | Permalink

Sorry Mary, wrong place. I meant ‘of course’ to the ‘way too young’.

• Senf
      Posted December 22, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

I agree. I guess that after yesterday’s relatively easy one I am not surprised this is a bit of a stinker (for me). Hardly got going at all last night – 3 completed before lights out, and still struggling even with the help from BD. Looking forward (hopefully) to a nice gentle heavily themed puzzle for Monday.

Posted December 22, 2012 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

from Rufus :-)

4. Little Dave
    Posted December 22, 2012 at 10:58 am | Permalink

Brian – I am sure with some continued application you will be fine. Raining here.

5. Arthur Dent
    Posted December 22, 2012 at 10:59 am | Permalink

Well, having woken up and found that the world is still here, I suppose I had better go an do the Christmas shopping after all…
    The puzzle might have to wait…

6. Only fools
    Posted December 22, 2012 at 11:02 am | Permalink

I did not find this quite the cakewalk that some did .NW corner was not helped by yet another unspotted typo in 10a and 1d fell outside my knowledge of astronomy (0) and was my last one in .I did find it very enjoyable fave 16d .
    My garden has developed several new water features overnight !
    Thanks once again .

Posted December 22, 2012 at 11:07 am | Permalink

1d a new word to me too Of

• Only fools
        Posted December 22, 2012 at 11:19 am | Permalink

Yes just reading about it gave up when I got to perihelion precession !

7. mary
    Posted December 22, 2012 at 11:02 am | Permalink

Good morning Dave and thanks for hints, didn’t need them to complete but did need them to understand a few, I didn’t find this as easy as some did in fact my CCD and little electronic friends were in frequent use, some of the readings I thought didn’t make much sense either eg 6d, a crossword of four corners for me with the top left corner being the last in, a three star IMHO, got there with perservation but not one of my favourites

8. njm
    Posted December 22, 2012 at 11:17 am | Permalink

Fairly straightforward once I got into it. Like Mary, NW corner delayed me most, particularly since I didn’t know the meaning of 1d, even though I’ve seen the word fairly often (in SF mostly).
    14a last in for me – didn’t think the solution fitted the clue until I saw BD’s prompt.
    Thanks to BD & setter and a Merry Christmas to all.

9. Posted December 22, 2012 at 11:25 am | Permalink

All good today pretty straight forward. Many thanks.

10. Caravaggio
    Posted December 22, 2012 at 11:39 am | Permalink

The Compliments of the Season to you all and thank you for the hints, Dave, because I ran into the buffers in the NW corner like Only Fools did. I’m pleased to say that all my Christmas shopping was done some days ago because it is the most miserable of days in South Cheshire and my pluviometer is going into overdrive.

11. Hrothgar
    Posted December 22, 2012 at 11:41 am | Permalink

I found most of the clues rather mechanically solverable.
    But I do wish I could stop thinking of the right word(s) first and then fitting it to the clue.
    I wish my mind worked, as it should for crosswords, the other way round.
    If you get my drift.
    Many thanks setter and BD.

Posted December 22, 2012 at 11:42 am | Permalink

I get your drift Hrothgar, I often do it that way too :-)

• Hrothgar
        Posted December 22, 2012 at 11:51 am | Permalink

Hi Mary,
        ..but,really, no choice, the word just pops up from one’s subconscious.
        Season’s Greetings :)

Posted December 22, 2012 at 11:54 am | Permalink

Well, that’s because you are clever then Hrothgar, nothing you can do about genius :-) Merry Christmas to you too

12. Little Dave
    Posted December 22, 2012 at 11:46 am | Permalink

I agree Mary – it comes with experience and of course learing the conventions (plus recognising the odd favourite answer). I have a golf lesson today and am probably the equivalent of a crossword novice!

13. mary
    Posted December 22, 2012 at 11:52 am | Permalink

Didn’t The Eagles have a song called 10a, I loved The Eagles, still do

Posted December 22, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

Yes they did. I loved the Eagles too – specially Don Henley – and still do!

Posted December 22, 2012 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

off to look for my Eagles!

14. mary
    Posted December 22, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

Loads of Christmas pud and mince pies in the naughty corner today should anyone end up there hats and crackers too and a bowl of punch,!

15. Carrie
    Posted December 22, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

I’m still working on today’s crossword. It’s the first time I’ve managed to sit down on a Saturday for months. I am soooo out of practice.

16. Digby
    Posted December 22, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

Only difficulty was self-imposed trying-to-be-too-clever.
    Managed to solve 1a as ” Anagram (fiddle) of OPERATE without (waste) E = ATROPE ”
    Made 1d very difficult, I can tell you!

Otherwise I tend to agree with the “easy and a bit dull” consensus.

Thanks to setter & BD

Posted December 22, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

I found this quite difficult to get started on but then it more or less did itself, with just a bit of help from me.
    I had a protector of the wrong kind of animals to begin with for 17d, even though I couldn’t see why – 20a sorted that one out. I’m not sure about 12a – why right wing American? I thought it meant something completely different – and so does the BRB. I also think that 25a is more a musical part than a style but I’m probably just nit-picking because it’s wet, I’ve got too much to do (why am I sitting here?) and I’m grumpy.
    I thought 9d was brilliant.
    With thanks to Mr Ron and BD.

Posted December 22, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

Anyone else spell 27a with an S for the second to last letter? It is only now that I am drafting the review that I realise that it should be a Z for the wordplay to make sense!

Posted December 22, 2012 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

Yes I did at first sue, I’ve never spelt it with a ‘z’ are we allowed to say that?

Posted December 22, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

hope so ‘cos I don’t like christmas pud or mince pies!

Posted December 22, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

I think so because we are only mentioning one letter – I don’t mind as I do like both the pudding and the pies. You obviously need to try my home made mince pies which have extra delicious pastry.

Posted December 22, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Well if you bring them along I’m sure we’ll enjoy, lets get the party started :-)

• Senf
      Posted December 22, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

Having needed this part of the blog to solve the clue, Z makes sense as I take it to be part of a shortened form of the name.

• jezza
      Posted December 22, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

Re 27a, I did the same this morning. It went completely unnoticed because I did not bother to enter the puzzle online.
      Apart from that, 1* difficulty for me today. Thanks to setter, and to BD.

Posted December 22, 2012 at 6:01 pm | Permalink

I did too – we’re not American.

19. Colmce
    Posted December 22, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

I always get a warm glow when I derive a completely new word to me from the clue, refer to Chambers and find it exists 1d.

Found this relatively simple after a slow start, also confused s/z. (Oxford spelling).

Thanks to the setter for the puzzle and to BD for the review.

• Hrothgar
      Posted December 22, 2012 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

Same here.
      I always write them down in my “Notes” App. on my iPad.
      That’s how smug I am. :)

20. mikef
    Posted December 22, 2012 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

Finally finished but I’m still not sure about 25a and the second word of 5d. I think I have got them but only by a process of elimination.

A happy Christmas to one and all.

Posted December 22, 2012 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

For 25a ‘let flow’ means ‘let wine, for example, flow’
      5d is built up from admitting (6) and ‘taking steps’ (8).

• mikef
        Posted December 22, 2012 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

Thanks Gazza. All is now clear and pretty obvious after the event.

• una
        Posted December 23, 2012 at 11:49 am | Permalink

I must be really dim but even with these hints I am still stuck on the first half of 1d, second half of 5d , and 25a.

Posted December 23, 2012 at 11:57 am | Permalink

The first half of one down is a word with many meanings one of which is indeed ‘pretentious air’ Can’t think how to hint any more without being in the naughty corner, but there aren’t many four letter words with those checking letters so why not have a guess and check in the dictionary.

The second half of 5d means taking steps in the sense of walking on something.

25a is explained by gazza and I don’t think I can improve on it apart from wondering if you played a recorder in junior school?

• una
            Posted December 23, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

Finally, at long last, amen.More dictionary trawling. No, I didn’t play the recorder at school, but have heard others use the term. Gazza’s clue great ,retrospectively.Thanks to everyone from one very ” late developer” .

• una
              Posted December 23, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Will the Telegraph accept heavily overwritten corrections or should I buy a another copy of the paper and fill it in neatly ?I can hardly believe I am entering a crossword competition.A big thanks to all my patient tutors, and seasons greetings.The weather is lovely,blue skies,warmish, and breezy.

• Posted December 23, 2012 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

There is some guidance here:

• una
                  Posted December 23, 2012 at 7:13 pm | Permalink

Thanks for your link, I’ve posted it already. Of course I dont expect to win, I am delighted I was able to enter. A great leap forward for me,with all the help I’ve received.

• una
          Posted December 23, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

trawled through the dictionary and finally found 1d. lower 5d and 25a still eluding me !

Posted December 22, 2012 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter & to Big Dave for the hints. Found this quite straightforward, didn’t need the hints for once. No real favourites. Was 2*/2*Thought 16d was an old chestnut. Merry Xmas to all the setter’s, bloggers and lurkers, special thanks to Big Dave for running such a great site.

22. Chris
    Posted December 22, 2012 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

Not too bad, ***/*** for me, but NW corner took a bit longer with 1d last to do.
    (Not so much a white Christmas here in Dorset – more a sub-aquatic one in a few places.)

23. Little Dave
    Posted December 22, 2012 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

Crossword done, West Brom win and some very pleasing wood shots at my lesson. Time for a nice glass of wine. Still raining.

24. Rod Ash
    Posted December 22, 2012 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

late start today but completed without alarm after a slow start. Merry Christmas Dave and to all the “subscribers”

25. ChrisH
    Posted December 22, 2012 at 9:26 pm | Permalink

Nothing too taxing today, despite coming at the end of a tiring and trying day.
    A couple of ‘Americanisms’ I thought. * and a half/***

26. Richard
    Posted December 23, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

A very Merry Christmas and many thanks to all , especially Big Dave .
    Although I do not finish every Saturday puzzle without help, my ability to
    do it fairly regularly is all due to this site and its contributors , again , many thanks

Richard

27. Susan Bloor
    Posted December 23, 2012 at 11:16 pm | Permalink

Yes, this is a great site, Thanks! Needed some help with Saturday’s crossword; it’s so good to be able to turn to Dave et al. when you’re desperate! Really struggled with 1d and 5d and 4a (American?). SueB.

• Posted December 23, 2012 at 11:24 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Sue

Glad you like the site.

28. RLs
    Posted December 24, 2012 at 9:24 am | Permalink

Finished except for 8d fav 25a

29. Collywobbles
    Posted December 24, 2012 at 10:31 am | Permalink

A very satisfying puzzle and many thanks to BD for the valuable hints. A happy Christmas to all and special thanks to BD for managing such a friendly and helpful site