DT 27044 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 27044 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Crossword Club

There’s still time to enter the December Prize Puzzle.

1a           Tune ‘Let it Be’ with score showing extremes of emotion (15)
tA charade of a verb meaning to tune or adjust pitch, the Latin for “let it be” or “so be it” and a score or count

10a         Minor player in film score (not a hit) (5)
A double definition – a minor player in a film and a score in cricket which is made without hitting the ball with the bat

13a         Ridiculous one like that in Irish city (8)
I (one) and a two-letter adverb meaning like that or in this way inside a Northern Irish city

22a         Step in fat that’s spread widely (6,3)
A step on a ladder inside an adjective meaning fat or portly

25a         Hymn from Southern religious ceremony (9)
S(outhern) followed by a two-letter adjective meaning religious and a ceremony

26a         Ah stinger sneaks — could be this! (5,2,3,5)
An anagram (could be) of AH STINGER SNEAKS

1d           Engineer allowed to overturn car (7)
Reverse a verb meaning allowed and follow it with a make of car

2d           Ring performer — stick at amateur set up (7)
Someone who performs in the bullring, not the circus ring, comes from a reversal (set up) of a stick, AT and AM(ateur)

5d           Idle perhaps keeping new husband to provide fortune (6)
Cunningly disguised by being the first word in the clue, Mr Idle’s first name goes around N(ew) and is followed by H(usband)

6d           It’s impossible to predict as votes are not being counted (6,2,7)
This phrase could mean that no-one is counting the votes after an election – note that the enumeration of the first word is (5’1)

7d           Can learn it in new way (7)
Another word for a can or toilet comes from an anagram (in new way) of LEARN IT

15d         Assembly with wealthy old film star (8)
An assembly like the famous one held at Worms, at which Martin Luther was summoned to appear, followed by an adjective meaning wealthy

21d         Detective held by hired thug — a protégé of Corleone? (6)
A two-letter abbreviation for a detective inside (held by) a hired thug

The Crossword Club is now open. Feel free to leave comments.

The Quick crossword pun: {Custer} + {merry} = {customary}

1. Hrothgar
    Posted December 8, 2012 at 11:05 am | Permalink

Nice and testing.
    Some excellent clues eg1a.
    And some clever diversions.
    Thanks setter and BD

2. Colmce
    Posted December 8, 2012 at 11:14 am | Permalink

Bottom half completed in record time, and then got completely bogged down, after a few doh moments eventually scraped to completion.

Really enjoyed it though, thanks to BD for the hints…not needed…just.

Thanks to the setter for an enjoyable start to the day.

• Dickiedot
      Posted December 8, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

Completely concur Colmce

• Caravaggio
        Posted December 8, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

And so do I. I used to work in the area named after the answer to Id, which was rapidly filling up with overspill from Birmingham. One of my colleagues once said of them, “They have the manners of an organ-grinder and the morals of his monkey.” I couldn’t possibly comment…

• Dickiedot
          Posted December 8, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

Again I concur, I used to manage a charming hotel, The Charlton Arms in Wellington, it became less charming over time, sadly

• Caravaggio
            Posted December 8, 2012 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

What a small world! When I initially moved from Cheshire to Shropshire, I stayed at the Charlton Arms and I loved it there. As you’ll appreciate, I was alluding to areas which were to the south of the conurbation – particularly those around the Madeley area – and I think we’ve both done well, Dickiedot, to avoid giving the answer to 1d.

3. Mark
    Posted December 8, 2012 at 11:25 am | Permalink

Slow start, but got going eventually. Submitted it electronically, only to find 21d ending with a k straight after I’d pressed the button!! AAAAAAARGH!!!!

Posted December 8, 2012 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Thank you setter and BD. Enjoyable and not quite as taxing as some recent Saturdays. Had 3d early on but took me a while to decode the wordplay. All good fun.

5. Roger
    Posted December 8, 2012 at 11:28 am | Permalink

Likewise..a tale of two halves. Bottom half straightforward but top half, nary a clue. The hints helped as did a bit of electronic help but still stumped on 5D. Favourite 15d

6. Dinosaur Pete
    Posted December 8, 2012 at 11:36 am | Permalink

Re 25a, it sounded even better at Twickenham last week !!

Posted December 8, 2012 at 11:42 am | Permalink

One of those that seemed trickier than it actually was. I do think it is time that 24a was retired. I realise that it is difficult given the letters from the down clues to find another solution but if I read that exact clue one more time, I may scream.

Thanks to the setter and BD and whoever organised the sun to come out for a visit by my brother and sister-in-law.

• Senf
      Posted December 8, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

But, don’t you think that it is the “oldies but goodies” that can give a kick start to getting going on the rest?

Posted December 8, 2012 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

Quite often yes, but if I had had a bottle of said wine every time it had appeared in a recent cryptic, I wouldn’t be able to see straight enough to solve the puzzle.

• Posted December 8, 2012 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

That would explain it ! I drink enough of the stuff!

8. Only fools
    Posted December 8, 2012 at 11:49 am | Permalink

Made rather more of this than I should have .Only glimmer on the smileometer 5d .
    So 2*\2 .5* for me .
    Thanks

9. jezza
    Posted December 8, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

I found this one a pleasant romp. 2*/4* for me. Thanks to setter for an enjoyable puzzle, and to BD for the hints.

10. Posted December 8, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

Hola from a freezing but sunny Cornwall!
    Don’t know what’s happened but our T-mobile dongle, which could never get a signal at my mother’s, is now connecting at nearly 2meg :smile: Someone must have put up a new mast!
    Butts are now completely frozen but at least it’s warm in mother’s house! I’d sort of forgotten how cold it can get here and how early it goes dark!

Anyway, to the puzzle. Can only echo Jezza’s comment above. Favourite was 15d.

Thanks to setter and BD.

Posted December 8, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

Enjoyable Saturday offering apart from 1a which I thought perfectly dreadful. Another Americanism has crept in, 7d, not difficult but a shame that setters have to resort to US slang. No real stand out favs today. Many Thx for the hints without I most def would not have got 1a.

• Senf
      Posted December 8, 2012 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

Not sure that 7d is an Americanism. That is what we used to dig in the corner of the field when I went camping with the Boy Scouts many many (40+) years ago. On-line sources such as http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=******** suggest that is from Latin and French going back to the 14th century.

• Weekend Wanda
        Posted December 8, 2012 at 8:28 pm | Permalink

The solution is not slang but the first word if the clue certainly is and is an Americanism.

12. Franco
    Posted December 8, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

I found this a lot harder than the usual Saturday offering – but most enjoyable!

Thanks to the Setter (?) – most probably wrong but could it possibly be Virgilius ?

(Yes, I know he normally only appears on Sundays but – 4d is a typical example of his great skill.)

13. mary
    Posted December 8, 2012 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

Busy day so started early did bottom half, then needed hints for one or two to get going on the top half this afternoon, so thanks for that Dave, a 3* star for me today, the three long clues took me a while to get with 1a being the last of them , right now where is the ladder and where in the atic are the decorations! OK for the man about the house swanning off to rugby match the Christmas fairy make Christmas magical around here :-)

14. MikeT
    Posted December 8, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

Pondered for a while over my last one in (5D) as to why my answer had to be correct, as I couldn’t see the wordplay for the first part of the clue. Kicked myself on reading BD’s hint – as It had never ocurred to me to think of ‘Idle’ as anything other than an adjective.

15. Senf
    Posted December 8, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

Quite enjoyable. Completed about two thirds before lights out last night. Thanks to BD for help on the rest – mostly in the upper half. Favourites – the 15 letter clues – except for 1a – that was one I needed BD help on.

16. Glen Ellis
    Posted December 8, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

Have not sent a reply for a while but really love my new Saturday routine-make pot of coffee, grab paper and dive straight into crossword.(news as in newspaper-nah forget it!). Have another stab post lunch with Dave’s help-thank you -then read comments.Managed half in first stab but would not have got 7d without help.Obviously in need of education as husband had to explain Corleone!

17. Little Dave
    Posted December 8, 2012 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

Really enjoyed it today and found it a little more challenging than usual for a Saturday. Likewise done with a coffee listening to the events in Calcutta strangely known today as Kolkatta. And not any Christmas shopping to do. Lovely. Enjoy your weekend fellow solvers.

18. KDinny
    Posted December 8, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

Good morning from New York!
    Have completed what I thought was a very enjoyable puzzle but despite my best efforts – I cannot for the life of me figure out one of the components of 25a.
    Specifically – I’m struggling with how the (as per the hints) “…two-letter adjective meaning religious…” equates with my (clearly!) limited understanding of the definition of it as being the ****************************.
    Please can somebody steer me to a source of other definitions?
    Thanks in anticipation,
    KDinny.

• MikeT
      Posted December 8, 2012 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

Another meaning to the word for *****

• Posted December 8, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

Please don’t include alternative definitions that have nothing to do with the wordplay in your comment. By all means ask the question. One of the dictionary definitions of said 2-letter word is “obtrusively religious, sanctimonious”.

• KDinny
        Posted December 8, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

New York/Naughty Corner here;(
        Sorry if I went too far in describing my problem by giving alternative definitions.
        I finally found the source from a prior posting here (in April) where you kindly pointed out to another tormented soul that Chambers (12th Edition) contained the definition.
        So – thanks again;)
        KDinny.

19. mikef
    Posted December 8, 2012 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

Thoroughly enjoyable. I needed a few hints and had the same problem as KDinny on 25a.

20. ChrisH
    Posted December 8, 2012 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

Oddly enough, I found the top half less demanding than the bottom half. Rather liked 26a even though it was rather obvious.
    **/*** for me.

Posted December 8, 2012 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

Started this one very late – fourteen people for supper tonight but reasonably well organised now so thought that I deserved a look at the crossword.
    Probably not concentrating too well but I thought it was quite difficult. I needed the hint to explain 1a – tried everything – an anagram, but what of since nothing seemed to add up to the right number etc etc. I also needed the hint for 21d. I spent ages trying to think of a specific hormone for 12a.
    I liked 9 (very misleading, I thought) 25, and 26a and 3, 6 and 15d. I’m probably being dim AGAIN but I don’t understand my answer for 19d.
    With thanks to Mr Ron and BD.

Posted December 8, 2012 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

For 19d reverse your answer and split it into 1/4/2.

Posted December 9, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

A very late thanks, gazza.

• Joyce
      Posted December 8, 2012 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

Good luck with your supper, I also started this late as went out for lunch and was handicapped by several glasses of 24a. Read 19d upwards as 1,4,2
      Very enjoyable but agree that bottom half was easier, bit with some of Mary’s perservation managed to complete without help.

Posted December 8, 2012 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

Joyce,
        Your comment required moderation because you’ve changed your alias. Both old and new should work from now on.

• Joyce
          Posted December 8, 2012 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

Sorry, I don’t often post comments as I am not such an early riser as others, but I always read and enjoy all the feedback. I have forgotten my previous alias.

Posted December 8, 2012 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

It was Jaydubs.

• Chris
      Posted December 8, 2012 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

So glad someone else wasted their time trying to solve the 1a ‘anagram’, Kath. I thouht I was alone. (I got there after some while by doing most down clues suddenly saw a word that would fit. Then worked out why.
      One question – did anyone do 1a without any down clues first? If so, I salute you.

22. Jaydubs
    Posted December 8, 2012 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

Well I’ve given away my real name now!!

Posted December 8, 2012 at 6:47 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter & to Big Dave for the hints. A great bit of fun, most enjoyable with some clues to make you think. Got stuck for ages on 5d, 12a and 25a, which was last in. Favourites were 1&26a & 6d. Gooners got their mojo back with a brace of penalties:-)

• Posted December 8, 2012 at 6:50 pm | Permalink

You left out the word dubious!

• Heno
        Posted December 8, 2012 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

:-) Best things Mike Jones did all game.

• Little Dave
        Posted December 9, 2012 at 10:40 am | Permalink

Precisely BD – we woz robbed for the first penalty. Let that man hang his head in shame. It’s called cheating.

24. Weekend Wanda
    Posted December 8, 2012 at 8:48 pm | Permalink

Agree with many comments. Needed most checking trees for 1a. Bottom half straight in. NW last in. Favourites 11, 13 and 24d and 1. 5. 6 d. Thanks to setter Nx BD. If a Mr Ron not amongst the more difficult for a Saturday

25. Rod Ash
    Posted December 9, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

Comfortably occupied the time on the train from Rochdale to Leeds…except it was completed by Halifax. I agree that it took longer to work out why 25a was the answer than to see the answer.

26. Denis
    Posted December 9, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

Thanks to B.D. and setter
    I don’t know what the rules are for enumeration of such as 6D but I think that the one used in B.D.’s hint was fairer.

Whereabouts is Pommers in Cornwall? We shall be in Newquay for Newyear.

• Posted December 9, 2012 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

Hi Denis

mum lives in a village called Devoran at the top of Restronguet Creek. It’s about half way between Truro and Falmouth, just off the A39.

Off back to Manchester tomorrow and back to sunny Spain on Thursday evening.

27. Weekend Wanda
    Posted December 9, 2012 at 8:02 pm | Permalink

It’s a small world Pommers. We holiday not far from there on the Roseland Peninsula and have visited Devoran. My husband knew the late gig builder Ralph Bird

• Posted December 9, 2012 at 9:35 pm | Permalink

Small world indeed! Good pub in Devoran (Old Quay Inn) and of course ther’s always Pandora’s at the entrance to the creek – lovingly rstored after the fire :grin:

Gig racing is the village passion. FALCON and FEAR NOT the two boats of the village club. Falcon built by a guy called Nancarron but don;t know who did Fear Not – the older of the two.

28. Weekend Wanda
    Posted December 9, 2012 at 9:55 pm | Permalink

It was Ralph Birdwho sadly died a couple of years ago but lived and had his workshop in Devoran.