Prize Puzzle – December 2012

Monthly Prize Puzzle No 7 (December 2012) by Gazza

In association with Hamlyn Books,
the publishers of Telegraph Crossword Books

+ – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – +

Why not have a go at our seventh Monthly Prize Puzzle?  The winner will receive their choice of any two of The Telegraph All New Cryptic Crosswords Books or The Telegraph All New Toughie Crossword Books published by Hamlyn.  Please note that, due to punitive postal charges,  while the competition is open to all, the prize is only available to UK solvers.

A review will follow after the closing date (15th December 2012).

MPP - 07

The puzzle is available by clicking on the above grid.

I’ve left this post open for comments, but if you don’t want your comment to be deleted then avoid asking for or giving help with the clues.

Posted December 1, 2012 at 9:18 am | Permalink

Another great puzzle from gazza. Superb d’oh moments, especially 29a :)

2. pommers
    Posted December 1, 2012 at 10:46 am | Permalink

Splendid stuff gazza. I rather liked the definition in 17d :grin:

3. axe
    Posted December 1, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

Another excellent offering from the MPP. Agree with Pommers for 17d.

24d really did make me laugh, looking forward to the review.

Many thanks to Gazza.

4. Gari
    Posted December 1, 2012 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

Finished this puzzle and rather enjoyed it, first one I’ve managed to finish so a bonus for me, I’ve got the event but as far as I can see there are two constituents missing unless I’ve got something wrong so I’m in a quandary which one to submit.

Many thanks Gazza for an enjoyable puzzle :D

• Posted December 1, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

There is definitely only one answer. Keep looking.

• Gari
        Posted December 1, 2012 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

Got it now, just had an hour walking the dogs across the fields, cold wind blew the cobwebs away and had a Doh ! moment when I got back. 8O

Posted December 1, 2012 at 7:16 pm | Permalink

A very nice puzzle that we enjoyed on a wet Sunday morning to take our minds off any thoughts of rugby.
    Having completed the puzzle, we could not resist submitting our answer.
    Thanks Gazza.

Posted December 1, 2012 at 10:18 pm | Permalink

Still struggling with the last six . . .
    Lots of these have made me laugh – too many to write them all down individually. Will carry on ‘perservating’ tomorrow, and, I suspect, for several days – seem to have ground to a bit of a halt!

Posted December 1, 2012 at 10:40 pm | Permalink

PS – I don’t think that this is giving anything away, at least I hope not. I’ve been trying to justify my answer for 1d for ages – have just looked up the middle letters in BRB. The word, and the reason for it, is so ridiculous that it almost makes me ashamed of being a girl! I didn’t know that it existed.

• Franco
      Posted December 2, 2012 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

1d – I meant to look it up in the BRB – but thought it most implausible! Shame on the lot of you! :wink:

Posted December 2, 2012 at 10:37 pm | Permalink

DO look it up in BRB, Franco – I think you will be horrified – I certainly was. Just going off to hang my head in shame . . . !!

• Franco
          Posted December 2, 2012 at 11:22 pm | Permalink

I have looked it up! Not horrified – just mildly surprised!

I’ve been struggling with Forceful Feminists all my life – and I’m still losing! :cry:

8. Only fools
    Posted December 2, 2012 at 12:39 am | Permalink

A late thanks but I started before match of the day and have finished just after.There were at least 6 big smiles and I have to be honest the very last clue was the one that took me the longest (doh!).Full of admiration for the time,thought and effort and indeed the fun you contribute
    I use an Iwotsit and this is the first time I have used the across lite app . Will probably be the last until I visit the instructions ! Thought it was terribly ponderous .
    Thanks again .

Posted December 2, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

Now only got one that I can’t do – it’s going to drive me mad!! :sad:
    Favourites 11, 15, 27 and 29a and 14 and 17d.
    With thanks to gazza for a great crossword.

• Franco
      Posted December 2, 2012 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

I’m still missing one as well! A lot easier than previous gazza puzzles, but as always lots of good laughs (and excellent surface readings). Favourites: 15a & 17d.

Any chance of gazza being promoted to a DT back-pager or a Toughie?

Posted December 2, 2012 at 10:40 pm | Permalink

Which one can’t you do? I’m not breaking any rules here – neither asking for, nor giving help – just interested. Mine is 28a – have five of the nine letters and don’t think anything is wrong – can’t even think of a word that fits with what I’ve got. :roll: It’s going to drive me completely mad!

• Franco
          Posted December 2, 2012 at 11:07 pm | Permalink

As you’ve shown me yours … I’ll show you mine … 30a!

All will be revealed on 16th December 2012 – by which time I’ll have forgotten all about it.

• Only fools
            Posted December 2, 2012 at 11:20 pm | Permalink

See my comment above re last in .you will kick yourself .I’m still black and blue but a delightful clue !

• Franco
          Posted December 2, 2012 at 11:43 pm | Permalink

Kath, don’t you ever cheat?

Posted December 3, 2012 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

No – but only because I didn’t know how to!! Thanks – could be useful! I think my grandmother would have said “Whatever will they think of next”? I’ve got the last answer now – and, no, I didn’t cheat, believe it or not!! It could be one of my favourites.

10. jezza
    Posted December 3, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

Many thanks to gazza for a most enjoyable, and fun puzzle; great stuff.

11. andy
    Posted December 3, 2012 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

Many thanks Gazza, as said above, quite a few penny drops and laugh out loud moments.

12. Denis Donohue
    Posted December 5, 2012 at 9:31 am | Permalink

Thanks to Gazza and regards to B. D.,
    I enjoyed this very much. My favourite clue was 15a
    Regards,
    Denis

13. spindrift
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

Just finished it & most enjoyable it was too.Thanks Gazza. I’ve even had the temerity to submit the answer – not that I’m confident that I will win as I normally have as much luck as a one legged man in a bum kicking contest.

14. Colmce
    Posted December 8, 2012 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

Cheers Gazza, had an almost complete blank on this last week, found the crumpled piece of paper where I had thrown it in disgust and had another go, think I’ve cracked it :). Even entered.

17d 11a 28a 29a faves.