DT 27032 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 27032 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Crossword Club

1a           Lid for a kipper, hot after cooking (4-3,3)
A lid in Crosswordland can often, as here, mean something to wear on the head – this item is an anagram (after cooking) of A KIPPER, HOT

9a           Having regular parts in opera, one singer’s a temperamental type (5,5)
Start with the even letters of oPeRa and add I (one) and a so-called female vocalist who thinks she owns footpaths in the British countryside – I wonder who the setter had in mind: could it be the same so-called vocalist

12a         Put name to the twins perhaps (4)
… or possibly a bull or a goat!

13a         Retreat over rising water is setback for leader (9)
A retreat for an animal, O(ver) and rising water are all reversed (setback) to get this leading article in a newspaper

15a         Follow matters primarily with a habitual response — being this? (8)
Start with a verb meaning to follow then add the initial letter (primarily) of Matters, the A from the clue and a habitual response

16a         Exemplar of drunkenness regarding famous physicist (6)
The amphibian used in a comparison to indicate the level of drunkenness followed by a preposition meaning regarding or concerning

23a         Tie up hospital department with attention to detail (9)
A verb meaning to tie up is followed by Crosswordland’s favourite hospital department

24a         Cattle  without water (4)
One of those you either know or you don’t – an archaic term for cattle or a description of an alcoholic spirit to which no water has been added

29a         A German artist holding opening, one who loves to take risks (10)
The A from the clue is followed not by the IVR code for Germany but by a German engraver and painter who is placed around an opening or outlet

1d           Poet‘s page to begin poetically (4)
To get this 18th century English poet, famous for his caustic wit and metrical skill, start with P(age) and add a poetic word, which is a shortened form of word meaning to begin

5d           A free broadcaster (6)
The A from the clue followed by a verb meaning to free gives an affectionate term for our favourite broadcasting company

8d           Greek character, police officer, last person to abuse (3-7)
Start with a Greek character add an abbreviation for a plain-clothes police officer and a verb meaning to last – the definition is the person hurling the abuse , not the hurlee

14d         Immature adult hands out foreign coin (10)
A(dult) followed by a verb meaning hands out and a foreign coin

17d         Take up imposing position on theme-park’s top attraction (8)
Split as (4,4) this could be the top attraction in a theme-park

25d         Rouse gentleman — about time (4)
Put the title afforded to a gentleman around T(ime)

The Crossword Club is now open. Feel free to leave comments. It’s time for me to pop down to the Hanley Swan Village Café and Market for a cup of tea and a slice of Gwen’s delicious chocolate cake (a bargain at £1.50).  Back in a couple of hours.

The Quick crossword pun: {Tooting} + {Carmen} = {Tutankhamen}

1. Burkey
    Posted November 24, 2012 at 9:53 am | Permalink

This was a mixed bag for me. Sailed through most of it, then got bogged down in the SE corner. Finally got there without any help apart from 24A. Guessed at one of two answers I knew it must be and guessed wrong. Needed a **** whiskey to calm me down afterwards! Before I am labelled an alcoholic for drinking with my cornflakes, I live in Melbourne. Rather lovely 34C today :-)

Posted November 24, 2012 at 11:49 am | Permalink

Yucky day here today Burkey about 9C cold damp and trying to rain!

Posted November 24, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

Yucky here too – only 6C here and chucking it down. Definitely a day to stay in with fire and crosswords but have dog not goldfish so will have to go out again. Maybe could persuade husband to take her out this afternoon – now there’s a cunning plan!

Posted November 24, 2012 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

Other half always takes the dogs out here but he has been in France for over a week now and as both dogs have a bad paw each, they have had a nice rest this week :-) , Angel has to have her blind eye removed next Wednesday as the pressure remains too high!

Posted November 24, 2012 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

Oh dear – poor Angel. Will think of you and her on Wednesday. They have definitely picked the right week to have a bad paws and a nice rest! :smile:
          My cunning plan didn’t work so have had another 3/4 hour out in the wet. :sad: I’ll have to let other half off as he’s making fish curry for supper.

• Posted November 24, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

Burkey

Living in Australia is not an excuse for drinking foreign whiskey. Scottish whisky is the best (ask Big Boab!).

2. Only fools
    Posted November 24, 2012 at 10:55 am | Permalink

Spent more time on 8d and 24a in particular than the rest put together .When the penny finally dropped on 24 a and Chambers confirmed I confess to have never heard of this usage .(bovine)
    Therefore 3.5*\3* for me
    Hard frost and mist here unlike Oz !

Posted November 24, 2012 at 11:39 am | Permalink

Remember 24a, it will appear again and again and again!

• Caravaggio
        Posted November 24, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

How true, Sue! I can remember my father, years ago, suggesting that I looked at the definition of the word in Chambers and that I’d be surprised. He was right – and the word has always stuck in my mind. I was late starting today, as I had to go into town earlier, but I didn’t experience any problems with the puzzle and found it to be most enjoyable.

• Hrothgar
        Posted November 24, 2012 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

..as will ‘Charolais’ the French breed.
        It’s due to appear soon, as last time was some time ago.

3. Roger
    Posted November 24, 2012 at 11:29 am | Permalink

Cracking crossword today. Enjoyably tricky but fun to solve. Needed a bit of electronic help on a couple. Favourites 6,9,20,11

I can’t remember the last time I was anywhere it was 34C. In fact, i can’t remember being anywhere above about 22C such has been the miserable weather this year in the UK. LOML and I are seriously considering living elsewhere as we have no ties in the UK.

• Collywobbles
      Posted November 24, 2012 at 11:58 am | Permalink

Try the Languedoc Rog. We did and it works

• Only fools
        Posted November 24, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

The only time I’ve been to Languedoc(Pepieux)in the winter it snowed incessantly other than that my normal autumnal visits have been delightful .

• Collywobbles
        Posted November 24, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

It’s lovely at the moment OF with the warm Autumn sun

Posted November 24, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

sun? sun? Now that rings a bell from the distant past. It is cold grey and very wet here.

Posted November 24, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

. . . and it’s SO long ago that I can’t even remember that bell ringing. Cold, grey and very wet here too.

Posted November 24, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

Isn’t it that golden thing in the sky that we are warned about sitting out in? Chance would be a fine thing :-( , cold, grey, very wet here too

4. Little Dave
    Posted November 24, 2012 at 11:34 am | Permalink

Zoomed away today for the bottom half (where I usually start) and the found the upper half more demanding. 5d and 11d were my favourites. Last in 1d. Dreary day here.

Posted November 24, 2012 at 11:41 am | Permalink

A strange mix of the write it in and then a few that held me up more than perhaps they should have done. Thanks to the Mysteron and BD too – Gwen’s cake sounds nice and a bargain too.

Very dreary here too – if it is like that where you are, why not have a go at the NTSPP when it appears in about 20 mins time. It is tricky in places but quite honestly what else were you going to do on a grotty day like this.

• Collywobbles
      Posted November 24, 2012 at 11:59 am | Permalink

Watch the Rugby of course CS

Posted November 24, 2012 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

Of course collywobs :-)

• Posted November 24, 2012 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

I couldn’t make my mind up between Gwen’s chocolate cake and her coffee cake, so I had a slice of her Christmas cake instead.

Posted November 24, 2012 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

Such a tough life you lead having to make decisions like that every Saturday. Do any of them come up to the standard of my marriage-proposal-inducing lemon cake, that’s the question? :)

• Posted November 24, 2012 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

It’s a good job that the market is only once a month.

Posted November 24, 2012 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

who is Gwen?

• Posted November 24, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

She’s the lovely lady who makes the cakes for the Hanley Swan Village Café and Market – I thought that was obvious from my postscript to the blog!

Posted November 24, 2012 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

Sorry Dave missed the PS, the cake sounds deeelicious

• una
          Posted November 24, 2012 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

I have asked before but I’ll ask again , is that the High Grove recipe ? or is your recipe a secret ?

Posted November 24, 2012 at 8:37 pm | Permalink

It was a recipe in a booklet free with a Saturday DT back in October. A Paul Hollywood British Bake Off How to Bake collection or something like that.

• una
              Posted November 24, 2012 at 10:33 pm | Permalink

I tried the High Grove recipe at my mothers 87 birthday tea party along with coffee cardmon cake, no proposals bit lots of otherwise disgruntled teenagers demanding the recipe.But that was in August from either the times or the telegraph.

6. jezza
    Posted November 24, 2012 at 11:43 am | Permalink

I did enjoy this one today. Thanks to setter, and to BD.

Posted November 24, 2012 at 11:45 am | Permalink

Anyone else confused by the advert next to the puzzle? Surely it should have appeared at the end of October if it was to be relevant.

• Franco
      Posted November 24, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

CS. The advert did appear at the end of October. Why again today? Maybe they’re trying to sell more beer?

Very enjoyable crossword today! Just off for a pint (or two).

• Caravaggio
        Posted November 24, 2012 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

Yes, I noticed that too and I’d suggest that the paper was sent the wrong bromide by the brewery’s advertising agency…

• Franco
          Posted November 24, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

Most Peculier!

8. mary
    Posted November 24, 2012 at 11:47 am | Permalink

First of all thank you Dave for all the hints, I just wouldn’t have finished it today even with my usual ‘help’ without them :-)
    I found it one of the toughest Saturday crosswords for a while, too may letters cut off 10a surely, I must learn my greek letters, I only know 4, I liked 17d, 26a, 28a, 2d this word isn’t given as a synonym for ‘making a mockery of’ if the last three letters were changed then it would be a synonym but then it wouldn’t be a barrier if you know what I mean! Good luck all, I wouldn’t have solved this even with perservation today without Daves hints

Posted November 24, 2012 at 11:55 am | Permalink

10a is probably how Burkey and his compatriots would refer to it :)

9. ChrisH
    Posted November 24, 2012 at 11:56 am | Permalink

I concur with most of the above comments, tricky but not insurmountable (with my electonic friend). 3 stars today.

Still not entirely sure on 20A. It fits and looks about right, but I’m not convinced.

• Posted November 24, 2012 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

20a One in acting role’s former model (8)
      A person who is acting or deputising for another, particularly an office worker, is followed by an adjective meaning former or departed

• ChrisH
        Posted November 24, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

Thanks Big D. I see it now. The penny’s dropped with a heavy clunk. (It didn’t take 90 mins, I’ve been painting the kitchen ceiling! Again.

My answer was embarrassingly wrong.

10. Colmce
    Posted November 24, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

Very slow start on this, but when tuned in it all fell into place reasonably easily.

I’m also not sure of 20a wordplay, must be missing something.
    24a was a new meaning for me.

Thanks to BD for review and to the setter

• Posted November 24, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

See my reply to the previous comment.

• Colmce
        Posted November 24, 2012 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

Cheers…so obvious…doh

11. Collywobbles
    Posted November 24, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

I could do with some help on 18a. I think that I have the answer but I cannoy see the significance of ‘line to suggest’

Posted November 24, 2012 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

You need the one letter abbreviation for line collywobs, followed by a word meaning to suggest, to give you ‘without force’

• Collywobbles
        Posted November 24, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

Thanks Mary. I got it wrong. Back to the drawing board

• Collywobbles
          Posted November 24, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

Got it thanks

Posted November 24, 2012 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

I must be getting worse. For me this was the hardest Saturday puzzle that I can remember ! Managed to get the RHS in but then ground to a complete halt, and needed your hints BD for which I am extremely grateful ! Thank you setter and well done everyone who finished without hints !. Can get on with my life now !

Posted November 24, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

You’re not getting worse SW, I think this was on the hard side too

• Addicted
      Posted November 24, 2012 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

I agree SW – I really, really struggled and only finished finally with help of hints. Don’t in anyway claim to be a brilliant solver but this was the hardest for a long time, in my opinion.

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted November 24, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

I agree too. I didn’t help myself by almost immediately putting Over for the first four letters of 17d, and I wouldn’t have got 24a without the help of this blog. Many thanks to BD and setter.

• Sweet William
        Posted November 24, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

Glad I am not alone ! Was beginning to worry !

13. Collywobbles
    Posted November 24, 2012 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

Last one. I cannot for the life of me see 19d and yes I agree with all those folk who said it was hard

14. mary
    Posted November 24, 2012 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

Think of a 6 letter bird add i (has single) to give you a cocktail, was it James Bond that like his shaken!!!

• Collywobbles
      Posted November 24, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

Thanks Mary, it’s obvious isn’t it. Off now to 5 hours of international Rugby

Posted November 24, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

I think Wales will do it today ;-)

Posted November 24, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

Let’s hope you’re right, Mary, but I fear the worst!

Posted November 24, 2012 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

Where’s your ‘hwyl’ gazza :-) , nice warm bowl of cowl, warm crusty rolls and cheese whilst watching what could be better, come on Wales!

Posted November 24, 2012 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

‘Hwyl’ ?

Posted November 24, 2012 at 8:08 pm | Permalink

It is in Chambers, Kath.

Posted November 24, 2012 at 9:40 pm | Permalink

I know how you hate it when people ask a question before looking it up for themselves – just assumed that it was an unknown welsh word so didn’t even look – have just done so! Sorry! :oops:

Posted November 25, 2012 at 10:27 am | Permalink

It means so much more than Chambers explains though, passion, spirit, a deep emotional uplifting feeling, fun, etc. etc. people also say ‘hwyl’ or hwyl nawr’ when saying good bye to somebody

Posted November 24, 2012 at 7:10 pm | Permalink

Game lost, as expected, but at least Wales played with a bit of passion and hwyl in the second half.

Posted November 25, 2012 at 8:33 am | Permalink

Oh dear but yes at least they had a bit of hwyl about them today

15. Barking
    Posted November 24, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

All done except for 18A which I have been staring at for half an hour. Any hints?

Posted November 24, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

Mary gives a hint for this one at comment 11 above.

• Only fools
      Posted November 24, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

Stop staring and scroll up to collywobs

Posted November 24, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

I loved this one. I started off really quickly and thought it was going to be a doddle but soon changed my mind. For me this had exactly the right degree of difficulty – doable with ‘perservation’ but tricky enough to keep me happy, occupied and generally out of mischief on a really miserable day.
    Most of my problems were in the right hand side but eventually managed to finish without resorting to the hints – I always read them anyway. I’m not entirely happy with 10a although I’m fairly sure that it’s right – I agree with Mary – it really is a seriously cut flower.
    SO many that I liked today – 1, 12 and 15a and 3, 5, 7, 8 and 17d. My absolute favourite was 16a which made me laugh.
    With thanks to Mr Ron and BD.
    Going to have a go at NTSPP after second wet and cold dog walk. I have a serious attack of Novemberitis. :sad:

Posted November 24, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

Novemberitis is an awful complaint Kath. I am guaranteed to get it for about four weeks every year :-(

17. Chris
    Posted November 24, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

Managed without help (but although 24a was right, I could not see why without this site – so thanks BD.)
    Thanks to setter, I enjoyed it – and I laughed at 16a!

18. mary
    Posted November 24, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

Off to watch the rugby (on TV)

19. mary
    Posted November 24, 2012 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

Is this the first time we’ve had an animated illustration? Can’t think of another one, no stopping them now!

• Franco
      Posted November 24, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

Animations – There were a few funny emoticons from pommers & BD way back when!

• Posted November 24, 2012 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

It’s not even the first time I have used that illustration!

Posted November 24, 2012 at 9:43 pm | Permalink

Reminds me of “Is Ringo the best drummer in the world”? “He’s not even the best drummer in the Beatles”!

Posted November 25, 2012 at 11:52 am | Permalink

Well I must have missed it before or even not needed the help that day :-)

• gnomethang
      Posted November 24, 2012 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

I used an animated GIF on my first blog:

No troubles here – solved on the way home from a call out to work (I am not the on call engineer either!)

Thanks to the setter and to BD

• Franco
        Posted November 24, 2012 at 8:10 pm | Permalink

gnomethang, I’ve just re-read your first blog – it brought tears to my eyes! :wink:

Some of the usual suspects left a comment, but what has happened to all the others?

Posted November 24, 2012 at 9:52 pm | Permalink

Just before my time here, Franco. Lots of usual suspects still around but I agree about wondering what has happened to all the rest. Have some of them returned with a different name?!

• Posted November 24, 2012 at 10:02 pm | Permalink

Yorick moved from Russia to Cyprus, but hasn’t been around for a while now. Peter, sadly, passed away. And you final premise could well be correct.

20. markgrantlondon
    Posted November 24, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

Hi Dave
    I found your blog by happy chance!
    Really like your helpful tips. Crossword complete, bar 2 down. Grrr!
    Thank you.
    The house is quiet and it’s been a relaxing way to spend the afternoon.
    Now for the big crossword in the Weekend(?) section…
    PS. I love Collywobbles thumbnail – I used to have an Airedale :-)

Posted November 24, 2012 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

Welcome Mark. 2d is a double definition – a type of barrier can also mean mocking or reviling banter.

• markgrantlondon
        Posted November 24, 2012 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

Got it!
        Either my brain isn’t working properly today – all that rain has dampened the grey matter -, or some of the clues today were a bit iffy/tenuous :-)

21. Little Dave
    Posted November 24, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

3 points and now third in the Premier League! Off to have a nose bleed! And Cook and KP going well which is great despite the need for a very early morning radio tune in. Still raining here.

Posted November 24, 2012 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the Mysteron & to Big Dave. Very difficult, needed some of Dave’s hints. Still not sure of 1d. Does it have a religious feel?

• Posted November 24, 2012 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

If you think you have the right answer for 1 down, look up the last three letters in Chambers or the ODE.

• Franco
      Posted November 24, 2012 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

1d – Heno, Yes, especially if you are a Catholic. [Presumably, you’ve read BD’s hint above]

I’ve never heard of this shortened form of “begin” before … but Chambers says… (poetic) adj – so it must be right.

• Heno
        Posted November 24, 2012 at 8:01 pm | Permalink

Thanks Dave & Franco.

Posted November 24, 2012 at 9:56 pm | Permalink

I’d never heard of the last three letters of 1d either but it is in BRB – I did, at least, check that one, if not Mary’s ‘hwyl’ :oops: again!!

23. Eileen
    Posted November 24, 2012 at 6:46 pm | Permalink

please can I have help with ne corner……everything else completed
    6A, 10A, and 8D

Posted November 24, 2012 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

8d Greek character, police officer, last person to abuse (3-7)

String together a) a Greek letter (2), b) the abbreviation for a police officer and c) a verb meaning to last or hang around.

Posted November 24, 2012 at 7:00 pm | Permalink

10a Pleased with cut flower (4)

This adjective meaning pleased is also a short (cut) name for a flower.

Posted November 24, 2012 at 7:03 pm | Permalink

8a Returned coats in swindle (4)
      Reverse (returned) some abbreviated coats to make a swindle or con.

24. Tmdess
    Posted November 24, 2012 at 7:20 pm | Permalink

Hope someone is still there– only 2 p.m. In Boston, USA…can anyone help with 3 down? Thanks,

Posted November 24, 2012 at 7:32 pm | Permalink

3d I may get in maps not fit for easy ride (5,7)
      Insert I in a word for maps then add a word (6) meaning not fit or sick.

25. pommers
    Posted November 24, 2012 at 7:53 pm | Permalink

Tricky for a Saturday we thought but a lot of fun!
    Think favourite was 29a for it’s, sort of, doulble use of the D for German – nice misdirection. Spent some time considering what USER was meaning when I suddenly remembered the German guy :grin:.

Thanks to the setter and BD.

26. Sarah F
    Posted November 25, 2012 at 6:55 am | Permalink

Just finishing this off now, due to listening to The Archive Hour 8pm last night, all about cryptic crosswords. Really interesting.