Prize Puzzle – November 2012

Monthly Prize Puzzle No 6 (November 2012) by Prolixic

In association with Hamlyn Books,
the publishers of Telegraph Crossword Books

+ – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – +

Why not have a go at our sixth Monthly Prize Puzzle?  The winner will receive their choice of any two of The Telegraph All New Cryptic Crosswords Books or The Telegraph All New Toughie Crossword Books published by Hamlyn.

A review will follow after the closing date (17th November 2012).

MPP - 06

The puzzle is available by clicking on the above grid.

I’ve left this post open for comments, but if you don’t want your comment to be deleted then avoid asking for or giving help with the clues.

Posted November 4, 2012 at 1:14 am | Permalink

Enjoyed working through this one. A good range of clever clues with a few new words that we had to investigoogle. Managed to complete in one rather long sitting.
    Thanks Prolixic

2. axe
    Posted November 4, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

Many thanks to Prolixic for an excellent puzzle. Will attempt your NTSPP after the F1. Agree with the 2 Kiwis some new words for me. ( Thanks for “inspectigoogle” like it ).

Looking forward to the review.

• axe
      Posted November 4, 2012 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

Apologies Wiglaf’s NTSPP.

• 2Kiwis
      Posted November 4, 2012 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

Can’t claim credit for “investigoogle”. Big Dave, Crypticsue and Gazza used it a month or so ago for a Toughie and I think acknowledged an earlier outside source for its invention. Cheers.

• axe
        Posted November 5, 2012 at 6:46 am | Permalink

Memo to me. Pay more attention in class.

Posted November 4, 2012 at 10:32 pm | Permalink

Going nowhere fast here – have managed nine answers so far. :sad: Busy weekend is my excuse! 26d is one of my nine answers – it made me laugh, as did 29a – another one of my nine answers! Back some time in the future – possibly the very distant future, like when the hints are up, but, until then will keep ‘perservating’.

4. andy
    Posted November 5, 2012 at 5:10 pm | Permalink

Thanks Prolixic, a few definetely needed investigoogling but a very good offering indeed. Great fun

5. pommers
    Posted November 5, 2012 at 8:41 pm | Permalink

After a very slow start I found I was really enjoying the struggle. Tricky but fair I would say.

Guessed the answer when about half solved so it gave me some extra checkers, which made completion easier than it might have been otherwise. I shall say no more or I’ll be on the Naughty Step!

Thanks Prolixic, I really enjoyed it :grin:

6. Franco
    Posted November 5, 2012 at 9:00 pm | Permalink

Much perservation required to solve this one! But, finally got there in the end!

I must admit that I would not have solved it without the very big Hint: “Look around the puzzle and answer the question.”

Many thanks to Prolixic

Posted November 6, 2012 at 11:19 am | Permalink

The last handful had to be cogitated overnight and finished off this morning. A few on the top left slowed me down.
    Thanks to Prolixic for the puzzle.

8. Windsurfer23
    Posted November 8, 2012 at 9:31 am | Permalink

Brilliant puzzle.

Not sure I have fully parsed one or two. Bloody archdeacons had me thinking for a long time.

I particularly liked 9a, 20a, 15d and several others.