ST 2660 (Hints)

Sunday Telegraph Cryptic No 2660 (Hints)

Hints and tips by Big Dave

Don’t forget our new Monthly Prize crossword – why not have a go?

Most of the terms used in these hints are explained in the Glossary and examples are available by clicking on the entry under “See also”.  Definitions are underlined in the clues.

1a Puts on radio in front of trendy craft (7)
A verb meaning broadcasts on the radio followed by an adjective meaning trendy

10a Piece of furniture — later rather than earlier Adam (7)
A cryptic definition of someone who, unlike the earlier Adam, wears clothes

11a Designer, initially unknown in catalogue (9)
A designer at the beginning (initially) and a mathematical unknown at the end

12a Wait around edge of altar to become this? (5)
A verb meaning to wait one’s time around the final letter (edhe) of altaR gives what a young lady might become after waiting at the altar

15a Daily supplier of fresh herb before middle of winter (9)
This supplier of a daily paper comes from an adjective meaning fresh, a herb and the inner two letters of wiNTer

17a Original flier revealing international conspiracy I must break up (4,5)
… the first man to fly a new type of aircraft

19a Stupid fool abridged French author (5)
Most of (abridged) an adjective meaning stupid followed by most of a fool

27a Final act of play — not Hamlet (7)
… the final act of play in a gamer where the scores are level

28a Half of whom may forgive the other half’s errant behaviour? (7)
A cryptic definition of a person who is partly divine and partly human

1d A form of bad behaviour, grasping at riches, primarily (7)
This &Lit clue puts the A from the clue and a form of bad behaviour around (grasping) the initial letters (primarily) of At Riches

3d Where to find peace, as man, woman, and children finally do (5)
Split (4,1) this describes what the words man, woman, and children all possess at the end (finally)

4d Staff for each admiral partly switched (9)
A word meaning for each followed by a famous admiral with the first half of his name switched with the second half

5d Down person, perhaps, in rage (5)
… someone from County Down, perhaps?

8d Suffering concealed by one mentor after another (7)
Hidden inside (concealed by) mentor mentor

16d Crucial point in the war’s misread, editor concludes (9)
An anagram (misread) of THE WAR’S followed by (concludes) ED(itor)

20d Getting a lot out of American hero embracing one (7)
The initials and surname of an American hero around I (one)

23d Busybody finishing up her daily puzzle later (5)
The final letters (finishing) of five words in the clue

24d University put in shape for marketplace (5)
U(niversity) inside a shape

If you need further help then please ask and I will see what I can do.

Today it’s Happy Birthday to Toni Braxton (44) and Bishop Desmond Tutu (81)

Posted October 7, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

Quite a few of today’s clues took a bit of thinking about but it fell into place in about 2.5/3* time. The usual great entertainment throughout, 10a being my top top favourite. Thanks to Virgilius and BD too.

• Brian
      Posted October 7, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

Might agree with you if I could work out the answer! Top half is being a real struggle. Even with the hint I can’t see 1d and 5a is a blank. Help!
      PS what’s a &Lit clue?

Posted October 7, 2012 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

&Lit is another name for what we normally call all-in-one.

5a Support the eccentric visionary (7)

The definition is visionary. It’s a support (in a structure or possibly in a scrum) followed by an anagram of THE.

• mary
        Posted October 7, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

Hi Brian for 1a you want A from the clue, a four letter word for ‘form of bad behaviour’ as in – smoking or drinking could be considered one of these, put this four letter word around the first letters of ‘at’ and ‘riches’ and this gives you your answer which is another form of bad behaviour!!

5a, a four letter word for support followed by’eccentric’ the’ i.e. change ‘the’ around the whole gives you a visionary

• mary
          Posted October 7, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

Think rugby or clothes line for support

• mary
        Posted October 7, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

10a Adam wasn’t this because he had no clothes

• Brian
          Posted October 7, 2012 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

Thx Mary, your help was much appreciated. It has taken all day on and off to finish this one which I found very tough but enjoyable. Best clue for me was 19a which made me smile. You are now far better at this lark than me and are now long out of the Clueless Club where I am firmly fixed. Well done :-)

• mary
            Posted October 7, 2012 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

If entry back into the CC was permitted Brian I would spend most of my time in there! However I think you are doing very well and shouldn’t put yourself down, keep perservating :-)

2. mary
    Posted October 7, 2012 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

Afternoon Dave, a tough one for me today, needing lots of help but got there in the end 3 to 4 star for me, fav cluse 5d & 8d, once again perservation needed in heaps :-) , didn’t use hints but thanks once again Dave

• Brian
      Posted October 7, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

Well done Mary, you have achieved more than me, I am stuck on the top well and true.

3. Only fools
    Posted October 7, 2012 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

Yet again SE corner was a struggle .Not convinced about 28a ***\*** for me .

Posted October 7, 2012 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

This took me longer than usual for a Sunday to complete, and I would say that is by far the best Sunday puzzle from Virgilius for a while.
    3.5*/5* for me.

• Hrothgar
      Posted October 7, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

Concur.
      Took longer than usual.
      Pleasant struggle, though.
      Thanks Virgilius and BD

5. Colmce
    Posted October 7, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

Looking forward to a nice pleasant solve sitting in the sun with the seal and cormorants fishing around me…not to be.

Found this far more difficult than the usual Sunday offering.

However eventually cracked it without recourse to the hints.

Still enjoyed it though, as always analysis shows it to be a fair puzzle.

Thanks to BD and to Virgilius.

6. mary
    Posted October 7, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

In 17a does the word ‘international’ apply to the first word of the answer?

Posted October 7, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

• Brian
      Posted October 7, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

Think cricket.

Posted October 7, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

I thought that this was quite difficult too. Ended up being unable to do 28a – and I still don’t really understand it. – oh dear – having yet ANOTHER dim day I think. I needed the hints to explain what I wanted to put in for 20d, and also 4d – just couldn’t find the admiral anywhere – obviously not just stupid today but as blind as a bat too! I know that 13a is in BRB as a tree or shrub but it always throws me as, to me, it’s a tree.
    All this makes it sound as if I didn’t enjoy today’s crossword which is certainly NOT the case.
    Just a few of the many clues that I liked are 19 and 27a and 6, 8 and 23d.
    I also really liked 21d but have now got the Lumberjack song on the brain and can only remember the hospital pantomime words to it – VERY rude!!
    With thanks to Virgilius and BD.

Posted October 7, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

Its all right for you – I have to explain 28a in the review. Luckily Chambers makes all clear.

Posted October 7, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

But I’ve looked in Chambers and I STILL don’t really get it – why errant behaviour?

• mary
          Posted October 7, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

The answer ia half mortal Kath, so I suppose the second half can forgive the mortal part or is there more to it?

Posted October 7, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

Who knows?!! I suppose there could be more to it – if so I can’t see it!

Posted October 7, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

Oh – is it the last three letters can forgive the bit that ISN’T the last three letters? Sorry – I said earlier that I really am dim today! :sad:

• MikeT
      Posted October 7, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

I don’t understand 28A either – Only one word appears to fit the missing letters and I really can’t see how it works, even with BD’s hint.

Posted October 7, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Don’t know which word you’re thinking of but there is definitely at least one other than the right one! I spent ages trying to justify the other one which was just NOT going to work.

• MikeT
          Posted October 7, 2012 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

Thanks Kath, but I’ve got it now … I ended 21D with the wrong letter – having missed the past tense aspect of the clue.

8. gnomethang
    Posted October 7, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

About ** difficulty for me based on the time. i finished in the NE corner. enjoyable as ever so thanks to BD and virgilius .

9. Tantalus
    Posted October 7, 2012 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

We have been humming Marley & Marley all morning! Autumn arriving here in Massachusetts. Thx to all. One question, why Hamlet?

• Posted October 7, 2012 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

He couldn’t make up his mind between to be and not to be!

• mary
        Posted October 7, 2012 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

Ah, I see it now and I thought it was just because it wasn’t the kind of ‘play’ Hamlet is!

10. Derek
    Posted October 7, 2012 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

Another enjoyable puzzle from Virgilius.

Faves : 15a, 19a, 27a (excellent), 6d, 8d & 16d.

Weather still glorious!

11. mary
    Posted October 7, 2012 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

I’ve only just realised I don’t understand the last bit of 25a, the ‘when receiving Valentine, say’

• Posted October 7, 2012 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

Which two letters usually precede Valentine?

• mary
        Posted October 7, 2012 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

Thanks Dave :-D

Posted October 7, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

No 2 is celebrating his 26th birthday today. Interestingly he had heard of the Archbishop but not the singer (sorry Dave, what can you do with these young people these days?) :)

13. Libellule
    Posted October 7, 2012 at 5:10 pm | Permalink

10a is not TALLBOY!

Posted October 7, 2012 at 6:32 pm | Permalink

So which Adam were you thinking of? Or am I STILL being dim?

Posted October 7, 2012 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

Finally finished after several attempts interspersed with seawatching on Norfolk coast. Needed BD hints to confirm some answers – particularly 28a. Quite a few where I had answers – but not sure why ! Thank you BD and Virgilius for another enjoyable puzzle.

Posted October 7, 2012 at 6:28 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Virgilius & to Big Dave for the hints. Usual great stuff from Virgilius, I thought it was 2*/4*. Finished this in a hurry, and had 7 that I couldn’t parse, thanks to Big Dave for the explanations. I had 28a wrong.Favourites were 15&19a and 5d. Reason for the hurry is Barca vs Real Madrid just about to start ! Beautiful morning in Central London, great for October :-)

Posted October 7, 2012 at 6:31 pm | Permalink

Favourite also 12a, but 19a was a lol moment :-)

• gnomethang
      Posted October 7, 2012 at 8:39 pm | Permalink

I enjoyed 19a as well when I got it. Are you down at Wapping on the 20th? I think that me and andy (and no doubt the usual suspects) wll be as well.

• Heno
        Posted October 8, 2012 at 9:52 am | Permalink

Possibly, but I’m going to Cheltenham the day before, so I’ll have to play it by ear.

17. Tim C
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

I know that we are not meant to say how long it took to complete. Therefore I will not say that I have just finished it.
    Many thanks to Big Dave for his hints plus all the other hints I have managed to gleam from peoples posts.
    Have I broken any rules????……sorry :-(