Prize Puzzle – October 2012

Monthly Prize Puzzle No 5 (October 2012) by Radler

In association with Hamlyn Books,
the publishers of Telegraph Crossword Books

+ – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – +

Why not have a go at our fifth Monthly Prize Puzzle?  The winner will receive their choice of any two of The Telegraph All New Cryptic Crosswords Books or The Telegraph All New Toughie Crossword Books published by Hamlyn.

A review will follow after the closing date (20th October 2012).

MPP - 05

The puzzle is available by clicking on the above grid.

I’ve left this post open for comments, but if you don’t want your comment to be deleted then avoid asking for or giving help with the clues.

1. Posted October 6, 2012 at 8:16 am | Permalink

Marked it down as the grid clues do not fully open (the r.h.s. is missing!)

• Posted October 6, 2012 at 10:54 am | Permalink

A few suggestions:

* Try a different browser

* Turn off AdBlock for this page

* Download Crossword Solver (link on the page) and use the Crossword Solver version (AcrossLite doesn’t allow linked clues or formatting).

2. gazza
    Posted October 6, 2012 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Radler for an entertaining puzzle. I solved five puzzles this morning and this one was by far the most enjoyable (IMHO).

Posted October 7, 2012 at 7:06 pm | Permalink

I can’t do this! Either I’m on completely the wrong wave-length or it’s far too clever for me – I rather suspect the latter. So far I’ve managed to do precisely six of them, all in the bottom half. One really made me laugh – I’m sure there would be others if I ever got that far! I’m going to leave it on the kitchen table and hope to do some more.
    In the meantime thanks to Radler.

• 2Kiwis
      Posted October 7, 2012 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

You are not alone Kath. We have our copies sitting in the kitchen in the hope that little flashes of inspiration might appear. IT WILL NOT BEAT US. Thanks Radler.

Posted October 7, 2012 at 9:20 pm | Permalink

I love your optimism, Kiwis. I’m going to keep staring at it (when it’s not covered with all the usual junk that accumulates on our kitchen table) in the hope that brain will work subliminally. At least there are two of you – husband is a complete waste of space and breathing good air that someone else could breathe when it comes to cryptic crosswords – he is, however, a great husband!
        Don’t want to get censored or sent to naughty corner or in any other way excommunicated but have you got 23d? Of the very few that I have managed it’s my favourite! :grin:

• 2Kiwis
          Posted October 7, 2012 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

Yes we have got 23d. Chortle chortle!. We have most of the bottom half so far but not much up top. Just hope there aren’t too many local allusions that we don’t know, like Doncaster? Must avoid the naughty corner at all costs.

• 2Kiwis
          Posted October 8, 2012 at 2:41 am | Permalink

Much, much, much, later. While you are fast asleep, entry submitted.

Posted October 8, 2012 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

I’m full of admiration! :smile:

• 2Kiwis
              Posted October 8, 2012 at 7:16 pm | Permalink

Have realised that unwittingly, I almost wrote a haiku. Let’s fix that.

Much much much later
              while you were all
              fast asleep
              entry submitted.

There, That’s better.

Posted October 8, 2012 at 10:13 pm | Permalink

The best haiku that I ever heard was:-

To express oneself
                In seventeen syllables
                Is very diffic

You can call me silly if you like but it made me laugh a lot! :grin:

More congratulations on finishing the puzzle – still no further on – about to give up. :sad:

• 2Kiwis
                  Posted October 8, 2012 at 10:56 pm | Permalink

Don’t give up Kath. Keep it on the table. It is worth the effort. So clever. Enjoyed your haiku, thought it was………

4. Franco
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 5:06 pm | Permalink

A very enjoyable puzzle from Radler.

Filled in very nicely (no pun intended) for the lack of a Monday Toughie! Thanks!

Posted October 8, 2012 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

Dada tomorrow :) :)

5. andy
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 9:10 pm | Permalink

My first time at a MPP, solved it , much like Kath from the south upwards, hope my submission worked, do you really just have to submit the answer and not the grid? Thanks to Radler. Now to find time to catch up with Saturday and Sundays “normal” offerings!!!

• Posted October 8, 2012 at 9:21 pm | Permalink

Yes, that’s all you need to do!

• andy
        Posted October 8, 2012 at 9:41 pm | Permalink

Cheers BD. Hate to think that my head scratching, and on one clue in particular which took me longer to parse than the rest of the crossword, has been futile, maybe if I still got it wrong!

Posted October 8, 2012 at 10:16 pm | Permalink

Not sure about ‘from the south upwards’ – the ‘from the south’ bit is fine but not the ‘upwards’ part of it! Just can’t get any further. :sad:

6. andy
    Posted October 8, 2012 at 10:35 pm | Permalink

Yes Kath you can, with the exception of one new word for me at least, it is do-able. Rather liking the 2kiwis approach, kitchen table, I certainly didn’t solve it in one sitting. 23d, whichever way look at it, is a tee hee moment

7. axe
    Posted October 10, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

Have finished after the third sitting. Tricky NE corner with some very enjoyable clues, in particular 6 and 11.

Thanks to Radler for an excellent puzzle. Looking forward to the review.