ST 2656 (Hints)

Sunday Telegraph Cryptic No 2656 (Hints)

Hints and tips by crypticsue

Don’t miss our Monthly Prize crossword – this one is by Gazza.

Most of the terms used in these hints are explained in the Glossary and examples are available by clicking on the entry under “See also”.  Definitions are underlined in the clues.

1a Medicinal plant poet might use with porridge? (6)
We start with d’oh of the day.   We have this medicinal plant in our garden, but why would a poet use it with porridge.   Like me, you need to think what a poet does with words!

12a Strange doctor identifying some body parts (5-5)
A nickname for parts of your elbow.   A synonym for odd or peculiar followed by an informal way of referring to a doctor.

22a Like a court having a judicial process (6)
Merge A (from the clue) with a judicial process to get an adjective meaning like a central courtyard.

25a Change to better part in Measure for Measure (6)
Hidden in the clue is a verb meaning change to better.

1d Contest in two parts — learner can get into both in a broadcast (8)
A contest combining shooting and cross-country skiing – an anagram (broadcast) of BOTH IN A plus L for learner.

14d Method of execution for making pale ale, for example (9)
Cutting the head off, as you do when turning the word pale into the word ale.

15d Personification of great power, awfully masculine? Not I (5,3)
The nickname for the citizens of the USA (great power) is an anagram (awfully) of MASCUL[I]NE with the I removed (not I).

21d Stuff on board old vessel south of Cape (5)
Goods carried on a ship or aeroplane.   Follow (south of) the abbreviation for Cape with the vessel used in the search for the Golden Fleece.

If you need further help then please ask and I will see what I can do.

Today there are lots of birthdays including Hugh Grant, Julia Sawalha, Michael Buble, Dave Stewart of the Eurythmics and Topol.   However, as BD has left me to choose my own musical clip this time, I am going for Otis Redding , sadly no longer with us, but born on the 9th September.

1. MikeT
    Posted September 9, 2012 at 11:27 am | Permalink

Not totally sure that I’ve put the right answer in 7D – any clues please?

Posted September 9, 2012 at 11:30 am | Permalink

I can only see that one will fit Mike but I don’t understand it!

Posted September 9, 2012 at 11:32 am | Permalink

It is a Virgilius ‘special’ clue. Look at the clue and your answer. Split the first five letters of the solution 1, 3, 1 and all should become clear

• MikeT
          Posted September 9, 2012 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

O.K. I had it right, but missed Virgilius’s delightfully devious clueing. Many thanks. Never previously heard of the tent in 24A, but the BRB came to the rescue.

Posted September 9, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

It’s one of those words that crop up in crosswords from time to time – like TENT for a Spanish red wine, that’s supposed to come from AlicanteProvince, but nobody round here has heard of it :grin:

• MikeT
              Posted September 9, 2012 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

Maybe the locals in your area are too young to remember tent – it is an archaic name after all

Posted September 9, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

Probably right, but you should see the age of some of the people in this village – we have 2 centenarians!

Posted September 9, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

bodes well pommers, gosh just think you could be blogging for another 30 odd years at the very least ;-)

Posted September 9, 2012 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

Deep Joy :lol:

Posted September 9, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

P.S. Mary, you have a touching faith in both my longevity and continuing sanity :grin:

Posted September 9, 2012 at 11:35 am | Permalink

Thanks both

Posted September 9, 2012 at 11:36 am | Permalink

Think its quite a toughie to see!

• Jezza
      Posted September 9, 2012 at 11:33 am | Permalink

Spell out the first 5 letters of the answer (1,3,1), and see if it fits one of the words in the clue!

Posted September 9, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

This is a perfect example of the type of clue that I wouldn’t have understood before finding this brilliant blog – I would have got the answer but not been able to explain why.
      My comment gives me yet another opportunity to say thanks to all concerned for all the hints, help and patience!! :smile:

Posted September 9, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

Is it 26 deg with you too Kath?

Posted September 9, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

No, a mere 22C but beautiful clear blue sky and sun. Perfect for doing useful “stuff” in the garden. :grin:

Posted September 9, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

I would happily settle for a mere 22, it is really quite cold here today :-(

2. Mary
    Posted September 9, 2012 at 11:29 am | Permalink

Good morning sue and thanks once again for filling in for Dave, I’ve finished this but there were about 6 I didn’t understand or see, your hints have helped me to understand two of my answers but I just cannot see 1a, 11a, 5d, 7d, I have the answers but cannot see where they come from!!! I thought at first this was going to be really hard but with the help of my books and machines I eventually got there :-) lots of perservation needed a three star for me today, fav clue today 12a, nice illustration sue :-D

Posted September 9, 2012 at 11:32 am | Permalink

Oh and I don’t understand where the last four letters of 13a have come from either?

Posted September 9, 2012 at 11:33 am | Permalink

the first two are ‘function’ and the second two are ‘all right’ All right?? :)

Posted September 9, 2012 at 11:37 am | Permalink

All right I nearly went to the naughty corner then!!!! ;-)

Posted September 9, 2012 at 11:40 am | Permalink

There is no cake at all in the corner today Mary so I would try and stay out of it. Having quite a busy weekend with no time for cake making at all.

Re your other missing words, have another think about 1a when you have read my hint, 11a I think is just a cryptic definition of a particular 11a who was as the wordplay says. 5d have a look at your answer and a careful look at the clue.

Posted September 9, 2012 at 11:43 am | Permalink

Autumn has arrived here today sue, you said it wouldn’t until Monday?

• stanXYZ
                Posted September 9, 2012 at 11:47 am | Permalink

On the East Coast – Phew Wot a Scorcher!

Posted September 9, 2012 at 11:51 am | Permalink

Hi stan its been like that all week here but its really quite dull at the moment

Posted September 9, 2012 at 11:53 am | Permalink

I’ve put a T-shirt on today :grin:

Posted September 9, 2012 at 11:56 am | Permalink

I’ve put a t-shirt on too and a sweatshirt!

Posted September 9, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

Far too hot for sweatshirts here today. It was 18C in the shade at 8 am as I set off for my walk. Must be 26 at least now.

Posted September 9, 2012 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

Why is it so dull here!!

Posted September 9, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

Not sure that anywhere you were, Mary, could ever be dull :)

• stanXYZ
                      Posted September 9, 2012 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

“Why is it so dull here!!” – Surely, Mary is not referring to the people who leave comments on this Blog!

(How many replies are possible in one thread? Cannot “Reply” to Mary’s last comment directly)

Posted September 9, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

Now how could I possibly be referring to the blog stan! Everyone here lights up my days :-) especially when the weather doesn’t!

Posted September 9, 2012 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

I think it’s 9 replies plus the original comment gives 10 levels of nesting.

Posted September 9, 2012 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

Aw that’s lovely sue :-)

Posted September 9, 2012 at 11:48 am | Permalink

Have looked and looked at your hint and the clue and the answer to 1a still can’t understand it, having another dense day obviously!

• stanXYZ
                Posted September 9, 2012 at 11:51 am | Permalink

1a – Maybe you pronounce “porridge” differently in South Wales?

• stanXYZ
              Posted September 9, 2012 at 11:49 am | Permalink

CS – 11a – I’m missing the cryptic element – seems just like a simple GK definition to me.

Posted September 9, 2012 at 11:50 am | Permalink

See Pommers hint below.

Posted September 9, 2012 at 11:51 am | Permalink

Think there’s a bit more to 11a than meets the eye. It could be a just cryptic def of the 11a who was thrown out but if you put an I back into the answer you get an alternative spelling of the Islamic group prevalent in the place where said 11a was thrown out.

Posted September 9, 2012 at 11:54 am | Permalink

Than meets the ‘eye’ very good pommers

Posted September 9, 2012 at 11:56 am | Permalink

Wish I could claim credit for it !

Posted September 9, 2012 at 11:37 am | Permalink

Lovely puzzle as usual from Virgilius. 1.5*/4.5* from me today; ended up in the NW again (seems to be a feature for me this weekend).
    Thanks to setter, and to crypticsue.

Posted September 9, 2012 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

Yes – agree about the NW corner bit. It seems to have been my nemesis for several days.

4. Mary
    Posted September 9, 2012 at 11:40 am | Permalink

5d I see the ‘call to pack’ bit, it’s the first part i don’t understand?

Posted September 9, 2012 at 11:41 am | Permalink

Abbreviation for *****!

• stanXYZ
        Posted September 9, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

CS – one of your better explanations! :grin:

Mary understood – But how?

Posted September 9, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

do you mean you don’t stan?

Posted September 9, 2012 at 11:42 am | Permalink

Thanks sue get it now!

5. pommers
    Posted September 9, 2012 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Morning Mary

1a say out loud the answer and porridge
    11a Someone thrown out by Muslims is also an I removed froma branch of Islam
    5d Before the abbreviation for house (prior to) you need a word meaning match
    7d Can’t really add to what’s been said before.

Hope the pennies drop soon :grin:

Posted September 9, 2012 at 11:50 am | Permalink

Oh right pommers, re 1a, what a silly clue or is it?
      Thanks pommers, I can see clearly now… as the song goes :-)

Posted September 9, 2012 at 11:51 am | Permalink

I did wonder whether they pronounce 1a in Wales the same way as I do in Kent :D

Posted September 9, 2012 at 11:53 am | Permalink

we do :-)

Posted September 9, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

How do you know? :smile:

Posted September 9, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

because it rhymes with porridge!

6. Brenda Reding
    Posted September 9, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Virgilius and Crypticsue for a super weekend offering, really enjoyable! Liked 1, 12, 13 and 24A, 1 and 14D Got all the answers but missed some of the subtle nuances until reading the blog so double thanks to V. and C.

7. Colmce
    Posted September 9, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

Greetings from Dover, 26° and hardly a breath of wind.

Really enjoyed this puzzle,
    7d I put in without knowing why, thanks for the explanation.

CS thanks for hints.

Thanks to the setter for an enjoyable start to the day.

Posted September 9, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

I thought this was brilliant and loved doing it.
    I didn’t understand why 14d was what it had to be until I read the hint for it – thanks CS.
    I was a bit slow with 20a as I tried to make it start rather than end with the five letter word for “teams”. 1a took a while to understand and I’d never heard of the grass in 8a (but DO know all the “little women” so wasn’t too much of a problem). I was also held up with 1d as I interpreted “broadcast” as being indicative of a homonym so didn’t see the anagram.
    As always on Sundays there were too many great clues to put them all down so just a few were 12a and 7 and 17d. My absolute favourite was 13a.
    With thanks to Virgilius and Crypticsue.
    Hope that everyone had a good time yesterday and that there aren’t too many sore heads! :smile:
    Now to carry on what I suspect is an unequal struggle with yesterday’s NTSPP.

Posted September 9, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

thought you had stuff to do in the garden Kath :-)

Posted September 9, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

I have, but tend to do an hour or two up the garden and then stop for a little while – my sister always describes how I do things as being in “flurries and slumps”! A few “slumps” are necessary today – don’t want to rub it in but it really is quite hot!!

Posted September 9, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

not you as well!

Posted September 9, 2012 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Virgilius & to CrypticSue for the hints. Usual great stuff from Virgilius. First inwas 4a, last in is 1d, Favourites were 13 & 24a. A scorcher in Central London! I’m stuck on 1d,any hints would be most welcome. Got it now, just spotted the anagram!

Posted September 9, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

Just about to put the heating on here!!

Posted September 9, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

So hot in the garden I have had to come indoors to cool down

• stanXYZ
          Posted September 9, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

If you need any hints and tips on Air-conditioning – I’m sure that Pommers will oblige!

Posted September 9, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

Air-con you must be joking, shiver, shiver

Posted September 9, 2012 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

Do like the Spanish – don’t turn it on unless the temperature goes over 32C. Only 29C today so no need for AC.

Posted September 9, 2012 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

will never need it here :-(

Posted September 9, 2012 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

Me too.

Posted September 9, 2012 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

Oh pleeese don’t, it is really cold here

Posted September 9, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

Looks pretty good in Norfolk too! Watching the Tour of Britain at the moment and softening tarmac might prove a problem for the sprint finish!

Posted September 9, 2012 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

I’m not speaking to any of you now, you’re just enjpying yourselves too much, isn’t anybody else getting this cloudy cold weather!!!!

Posted September 9, 2012 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

Iceland?

Posted September 9, 2012 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

I said I’m not speaking to you ;-)

10. gnomethang
    Posted September 9, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

A puzzle just right for my befuddled barin this morning. Tahnks to Virgilius and CS. I’m just leaving St Pancras on my final leg home.

Posted September 9, 2012 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

Judging by the slightly scrambled comment shall we all assume that you had a good time “up North”? :smile:

• Qix
        Posted September 9, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

Must have been a heck of a night if you had not just a befuddled brain but a missing leg, too.

Posted September 9, 2012 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

:-D

• gnomethang
          Posted September 9, 2012 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

Nicely done!
          A jolly good time was had by all thanks .

Posted September 9, 2012 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

:grin:

• Derek
          Posted September 10, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

A game quip indeed!

11. Mary
    Posted September 9, 2012 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

Going to the cinema to get warm!!!! Hope the air-conditioning’s not on!!!

Posted September 9, 2012 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

The AC can heat as well :grin:

Posted September 9, 2012 at 11:38 pm | Permalink

Its a pleasent 24° on the east coast of the US at the moment, conducive to solving crosswords! Pleasent outing today but still don’t fully get 7d. The composer is obvious but letters he has left? Thx to the setter for a nice exercise today.

Posted September 10, 2012 at 8:10 am | Permalink

Read the comments Brian and all should become clear on 7d.

13. Posted September 10, 2012 at 8:52 am | Permalink

Many thanks to Crypticsue for providing the hints this weekend. Several other blog regulars put in an appearance at Anax’s 50th birthday celebrations – Pommette, Moonstruckminx, Dickiedot and Gnomethang come to mind, and not forgetting NTSPP setter Donk, John “Elgar” Henderson, Jetdoc, special guest Roger “Rufus” Squires and his lovely wife Anna.

Posted September 10, 2012 at 9:44 am | Permalink

Yes I agree well done and thanks sue

14. Derek
    Posted September 10, 2012 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

Usual late input from me – got the puzzle late and couldn’t print it out as my son-in-law had modified my printer settings – also was up ’til the early hours watching the battle between Serena and Victoria – felt very sorry for the White Russian lass!
    The usual very nice mix of clues from Virgilius.
    Hope tonight’s match between Novak and Andy goes the right way for the Scot at long last.

PS : Faves were : 1a, 24a,5d & 21d.

Off now to the local supermarket to get in basics in case I’m up till the early hours again!