ST 2655 (Hints)

Sunday Telegraph Cryptic No 2655 (Hints)

Hints and tips by Big Dave

Don’t miss our Monthly Prize crossword – this one is by Gazza.

Most of the terms used in these hints are explained in the Glossary and examples are available by clicking on the entry under “See also”.  Definitions are underlined in the clues.

1a           Arrest idiot holding minute navigational aid (7)
A verb meaning to arrest and an idiot around (holding) M(inute)

12a         The equivalent of a mile? That’s not right (5)
Split as (1,4) this is as good as a mile

15a         State of one kind of calf? (3,6)
This US state could be one kind of calf

19a         Like South America, home for many Indians (5)
A charade of a two-letter word meaning like, S(outh) and AM(erica)

22a         Part of thoroughfare one shouldn’t drive into (5)
Hidden inside the clue (part of) is somewhere one shouldn’t drive a golf ball

28a         Law they manipulated, becoming rich (7)
An anagram (manipulated) of LAW THEY

1d           Strange dialect used in Kremlin, for example (7)
An anagram (strange) of DIALECT

4d           Inspiring work in groundbreaking encounter for half the remaining contestants (9)
An inspiring work by Rudyard Kipling inside an adjective meaning groundbreaking

7d           For kicks, gets wound up again? (7)
… the kicks from firing a rifle

14d         It removes bits of food, also most of the cream (9)
A word meaning also followed by most of TH(E) and a word meaning the cream or best

18d         Leave university and long for artistic work (7)
A two-letter word meaning to leave followed by U(niversity) and a verb meaning to long for gives an artistic work painted with opaque colours mixed with water, honey and gum

24d         Characters from Greece getting together for religious work (5)
Combine two characters from the Greek alphabet to get a representation of the Virgin with the dead Christ across her knees

If you need further help then please ask and I will see what I can do.

Today it’s Happy Birthday to Lennox Lewis (47) and Jimmy Connors (60)

Posted September 2, 2012 at 11:08 am | Permalink

Thank you Virgilius – if it was you. Great fun as usual. Went hunting for the hidden words to start with and didn’t find them till later ! Well disguised ! Tips not needed but thank you BD.

2. stanXYZ
    Posted September 2, 2012 at 11:18 am | Permalink

22a – I read this as a hidden clue. “Part of…”

• Posted September 2, 2012 at 11:22 am | Permalink

So did I, then forgot when I wrote the hint (now amended)!

3. Brenda Reding
    Posted September 2, 2012 at 11:25 am | Permalink

Really enjoyed this enough easy clues to provide fodder for the head-rubbers, favourites are 11, 15 and 25A, 2, 6 and 14D though there are many more. 27A came up a few days ago. With thanks to setter and B.D. for hints — luckily not needed today but make interesting reading

4. mary
    Posted September 2, 2012 at 11:51 am | Permalink

morning dave , I found this much easier than yesterdays and didn’t need the hints today, though I did have to lok a few up eg 18d, can’t make out where the first letter of 27a comes from in the clue? last one in today 12a, duh! fav clues 17a and 22a

• mary
      Posted September 2, 2012 at 11:54 am | Permalink

OH yes stupid again, its an inclusive clue, another duh!

5. Colmce
    Posted September 2, 2012 at 11:55 am | Permalink

Whistled through this one, as always a nice puzzle for a Sunday morning.
    One area of doubt 23d and 25a, got answers but not sure how.

Thanks for hints and to setter.

• stanXYZ
      Posted September 2, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Permalink

Colmce – 23d – a musical key (1) inside (“held by”) a slang term for “head” ==> the solution.

(A very poor explanation – always thought that scchua was doing too much work on his blogs)

Posted September 2, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

25a, start with the symbol for electric current and then another word for an article with an abbreviation for Conservative inserted (about).

• Colmce
      Posted September 2, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

Thanks all, me being thick again and looking for difficulties which didn’t exist.

• Hrothgar
        Posted September 2, 2012 at 8:35 pm | Permalink

….yes, but, when you don’t know that G is an electrical current, you wonder where the devil the G fits in.

• Posted September 2, 2012 at 8:46 pm | Permalink

Not sure what you are saying here – the symbol for an electric current is not G (but please don’t reveal what it is).

• slartibartfast
            Posted September 2, 2012 at 8:48 pm | Permalink

ac dc i dont know

Posted September 2, 2012 at 8:51 pm | Permalink

Symbol’s the same either way you want to go!

• slartibartfast
                Posted September 2, 2012 at 9:15 pm | Permalink

decent rock band though

Posted September 2, 2012 at 9:26 pm | Permalink

Si :grin:

• Hrothgar
            Posted September 3, 2012 at 7:01 am | Permalink

Sorry BD, my post is nonsense, I got the clues mixed up.

Posted September 2, 2012 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

I don’t understand any of the next few comments, except BD’s.

Posted September 2, 2012 at 9:42 pm | Permalink

Alternating current, direct current – the symbol is tthe same. AC/DC = bisexual . . . ACDC are a half-decent rock band!

Posted September 3, 2012 at 11:25 am | Permalink

Thanks for the explanation – I was being a bit thick!

Posted September 2, 2012 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable puzzle – am definitely getting better at the Sunday ones, thanks to what I’ve learnt from this blog.
    I didn’t understand the answers that I had for 12a or 4d but both of those have been sorted out by the hints – the Rudyard Kipling is yet another of the things that I always forget about, as is the first letter of 25a meaning current so that one took me a while to understand. I didn’t know 24d but it was easy enough to work out from the clue and look up.
    I liked 11, 15 and 17a and 3, 14 and 21d.
    With thanks to Virgilius and Big Dave.

7. pommers
    Posted September 2, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable :smile:

No real favourites as all the clues were good but perhaps 12a deserves a mention. 5a was fairly easy for me of course and it is a bit of a chestnut!

Bet Steve_the_Beard was pleased to see 27a after his comment the other day (Friday) :lol:

Thanks to Virglius and BD – now for the motor race :grin:

Posted September 2, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

Another fine start to Sunday morning thank you Virgilius. THanks to BD too for the numerous hints (can’t imagine why you have put so many today :D )

Never mind the motor racing Pommers, everyone should cheer on Craig and Anthony in the Paralympic cycling at 2 today. Craig is the partner of my friend’s daughter, but I would have been cheering him anyway.

Posted September 2, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Permalink

But Jenson’s on pole . . . !

• slartibartfast
        Posted September 2, 2012 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

perhaps jenson should be in the parlympics then. I’m a Hamilton man meself

Posted September 2, 2012 at 6:52 pm | Permalink

Me too normally. Lewis had the wrong set-up today but, as it happened, it was irrelevant! Glad Grosjean is banned but two races would have been fairer – after all his stupidity caused a crash that came within a few centimetres of killing Fernando!

• slartibartfast
            Posted September 2, 2012 at 8:47 pm | Permalink

i think its the 3rd time that Grosjean has knocked LH off this year ,(and others) I’m really beginning to think he shouldn’t be allowed to be there.

Posted September 2, 2012 at 8:52 pm | Permalink

Seven first corner crashes in 12 races apparantly – the guy is a menace!

• slartibartfast
                Posted September 2, 2012 at 9:04 pm | Permalink

the ref should stop giving corners

Posted September 2, 2012 at 9:06 pm | Permalink

Grosjean needs a goal kick up the bum!

9. Addicted
    Posted September 2, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

Easiest Sunday for me for a while – or maybe I was just more switched on? Don’t understand my answer for 5d though – so perhaps it’s wrong? Which would probably mean that 5a is wrong too? So some “pointers” for those two would be gratefully received – otherwise loved it, partic 17a which just tickled me. Thank you setter and BD.

Posted September 2, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

Hi Addicted

5d – Think nursery rhyme (OK I’ll go the the naughty corner now!).

Posted September 2, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

5d Simple and penniless guy? What he says goes (5)
      The name of a simple guy who can’t afford a pie in a Nursery Rhyme also appears in a party game.

Posted September 2, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

You’ve given away more than I did – see you in the corner?

Posted September 2, 2012 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

I don’t mind being in the corner as long as I can keep watching the rugby. Good to see London Welsh back at the top level (and not being disgraced against the mighty Leicester – at half-time anyway).

Posted September 2, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

Don’t know whether there’s a telly in the corner! At least the GP’s over now, well done Jenson :grin:

• axe
              Posted September 2, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

go to the forum . Its brill

Posted September 2, 2012 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

Got it on as we speak but see reply to Gazza below!

Posted September 2, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

Cricket’s not looking too bad either, so far so good! Off to pub now to watch the end of La Vuelta stage and then the second half of the Southampton v Man Utd game, (the cat’s away again) :grin:

• slartibartfast
            Posted September 2, 2012 at 8:53 pm | Permalink

i’m a harlequins man meself , I think we won it last time didn’t we?

Posted September 2, 2012 at 9:07 pm | Permalink

You were a bit lucky against Wasps yesterday. Had it not been for the ridiculous new rule which allowed the TMO to overturn a Wasps try because of a forward pass the other side of the halfway line, Quins would have lost.

• slartibartfast
                Posted September 2, 2012 at 9:26 pm | Permalink

I’ve just posted a comment on how I enjoyed your september crossword, and now you are trying to wind me up!!! i’d better not tell you my footy team else you’ll have a prob with that as well !! ( if your a spurs fan that is)……………. we seem t have come a long way from the xword chat dont we?

• slartibartfast
          Posted September 2, 2012 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

More cake in the corner than in the TMS commentry box

• Digby
      Posted September 2, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

And, as a check, the part of Europe that you’re looking for is anecdotally very cold.

10. Addicted
    Posted September 2, 2012 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

Thanks all! I was wrong – it all makes perfect sense now – doh! Much obliged for input and I hope there’s cake in the corner.

Posted September 2, 2012 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

Think Gazza and I are more bothered about a telly than cake but we seem to have got away with it :smile: OK, really off to pub now!

• axe
        Posted September 2, 2012 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

Good choice. Wish i could join you.

Posted September 2, 2012 at 6:42 pm | Permalink

There is cake in the corner still plus some M&S rocky road choc stuff. Well done to Anthony and Craig on their gold medal too.

Posted September 2, 2012 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

Checked them out on the web – well done from me too! What about the telly?

11. gnomethang
    Posted September 2, 2012 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

A fine puzzle that was finished quickly on the way to work :-(
    Sunday Times fell just after and the Sindy prize puzzle by Raich on the return (a nice straightforward one and worth a tickle).
    Thanks to BD and Virgilius .

• gnomethang
      Posted September 2, 2012 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

Now in pub! Soton are ahead!

Posted September 2, 2012 at 6:08 pm | Permalink

Not any more! Think Van Persie just paid for himself, despite the penalty!

• gnomethang
      Posted September 2, 2012 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

Damn spell checker!

• gnomethang
      Posted September 2, 2012 at 7:48 pm | Permalink

I edited this to stop speaking gobbledeygook.!

Posted September 2, 2012 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

Just noticed the bit at the top – how on earth can Jimmy Connors be 60? I’m not doubting it – just wondering where all the time went! :sad:
    My Dad had a good friend who was something high up to do with the LTA so every year we had tickets to Wimbledon – one of the most extraordinary and entertaining tennis matches that I have ever seen was a doubles match with Jimmy Connors and Ilie Nastase playing against ?. They were SO amazing – not just great tennis players but entertainers and comics as well – all the spectators were in complete uproar. I’ll never forget it.

13. AndyB
    Posted September 2, 2012 at 7:54 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed this one, although needed to look up a few words that I had never heard of in the dictionary…

14. slartibartfast
    Posted September 2, 2012 at 8:56 pm | Permalink

Totally different subject, wil we be able to comment on the BD prize xword this month set by Gazza, I really enjoyed tackeling it , some nice surface readings , 20d was my favourite , spot on!

Posted September 2, 2012 at 9:01 pm | Permalink

Yup, just open the post as normal and you will find eleven comments already there.

• slartibartfast
        Posted September 2, 2012 at 9:07 pm | Permalink

thanks , I should have done some more checking before i asked

• Posted September 2, 2012 at 9:04 pm | Permalink

Depends what you mean by “comment on”. If you want to comment on any specifics of the puzzle then please wait until after the closing date.

• slartibartfast
        Posted September 2, 2012 at 9:14 pm | Permalink

no no no, i just wanted to post a comment on how i enjoyed, didn’t enjoy , liked a clue, didn’t like a clue etc. usual stuff

Posted September 2, 2012 at 9:25 pm | Permalink

Hey Slarti, just remembered that about 30-odd years ago myself and four other friemds chartered a yacht in Greece for a holiday. As we were all fairly new to sailing we thought it “infinitely improbable” that we would get anywhere so decided on a theme for the hols. The boat became “Heart of Gold”, with a burgee made by pommette, and the five crew had T-shirts with our names printed on them – Slarti (me), Marvin (pommette), Trillian (blonde lady friend), Zaphod (nutty friend) and Ford Prefect (he still had one, first registered 1960).

Happy days :grin:

Posted September 2, 2012 at 10:27 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Virgilius for a fine puzzle that kept me occupied for a bit at Marrakech airport.
    Back home, and back to work tomorow :(
    Thanks to Virgilius and to BD.