DT 26960 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 26960 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Crossword Club

There’s a new Monthly Prize crossword today – this one is by Gazza so don’t miss it.

1a           Leave Adriatic resort (5)
A double definition

20a        Harris turned in old coin (6)
Reverse (turned) the first name of Australian entertainer Harris and then add IN

24a        Club cup-holder excluding engineers (7)
Start with a garment which could be holding a D-cup and drop the engineers from the end – this old-fashioned club should really have been indicated as such

29a         Hairpiece in reserve for sport (5)
A slang word for a wig then a two-letter word meaning in reserve

1d           Member of Barmy Army perhaps to drink beer (9)
A verb meaning to drink followed by a type of beer – the Barmy Army are a group of cricket fans who follow the England cricket team all over the world

16d        Make tame jokes, sourly (9)
Split as (3,6) this could mean to make tame jokes

23d        Blood groups — doctor’s very powerful weapon (1-4)
Three blood groups followed by a doctor

25d         Refuse to grasp North’s informal language (5)
Some refuse or coalmining waste around N(orth)

The Crossword Club is now open.  Feel free to leave comments.

The Quick crossword pun: {sum} + {assaults} = {somersaults}

1. Hrothgar
    Posted September 1, 2012 at 10:23 am | Permalink

Thanks setter and BD.
    Some very good clues, especially 16d which is so red herringish!

2. Mark L-H
    Posted September 1, 2012 at 10:31 am | Permalink

23a…….? Given the checking letters it could only be one thing…….couldn’t it?

Hope so, as I’ve already submitted it…….

**/*** for me.

I liked 16d, even though I had to use my crossword completer to get it! Always a let down when you use a reference, when you know if you had been a bit more patient you would have got it any way…..

3. Caravaggio
    Posted September 1, 2012 at 10:34 am | Permalink

Good heavens! It’s a long time since my comment appeared so early on a Saturday morning. I really enjoyed this puzzle and I’m pleased to say that everything fell into place very quickly, particularly the answer to 24a which I think is very clever.

Posted September 1, 2012 at 10:50 am | Permalink

Sorry to disagree but I really disliked this puzzle. Can’t get on the wavelength at all and find the clues too complex.

• IanPee
      Posted September 1, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

I agree Brian – head just won’t engage with this one – even struggling to spot some of the anagrams. One to come back too.

5. Dickiedot
    Posted September 1, 2012 at 10:51 am | Permalink

Very enjoyable. Liked 12a 24a 14d 16d. Thanks mysteron and BD

6. spindrift
    Posted September 1, 2012 at 11:12 am | Permalink

No stand out clues as they were all good. Just a shame it was over relatively quickly. Hints not needed but thanks to BD anyway and to Cephas?

A new word from a puzzle far, far away in another galaxy..PARAPROSDOKIANS…that took some googling let me tell you. I can’t give the definition as it’s a prize puzzle & BD will no doubt give it the blue pencil treatment.

7. Collywobbles
    Posted September 1, 2012 at 11:17 am | Permalink

Anagrams are useful so as to get a foothold into a crossword but I felt that there were too many in this one

Posted September 1, 2012 at 11:35 am | Permalink

Finished without help – thank you setter for an enjoyable morning and to BD.

After yesterday’s debacle with “Chile” I am not sure that I will ever own up to making a mistake again ! More like ” Amazingly quick solve, easy puzzle etc” !

• Posted September 1, 2012 at 11:40 am | Permalink

there’s nothing wrong with owning up to a mistake. My grouse was with the usual suspects still saying they were right even after we had provided an explanation for the correct answer.

• Posted September 1, 2012 at 11:41 am | Permalink

BTW what answer is given in today’s newspaper for yesterday’s 24 down?

Posted September 1, 2012 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

sarcasm Dave ;-) don’t know whats wrong with me today just cant get into this, have only solved about 14 clues so far!

Posted September 1, 2012 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

Same here Mary. No room for sarcasm here and I’m having trouble getting into this one other than the anagrams. By the way, how do you get the smiley faces?

Posted September 1, 2012 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

Hi collywobs go to top of page look under FAQ, then scroll down until you come to emoticons

Posted September 1, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

love the dogs, airdales? is that how its spelt? I’ve got a feeling its not! are they yours?

Posted September 1, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

It’s Airedales Mary and, yes, they are both mine. Ruggles and ****. They are both 10 now and the 3rd set of Airdales that I have had.

Posted September 1, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

The second name of one of your Airedales must have come in handy today with 20a!

Posted September 1, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

Wasn’t entirely sure which of your two comments to edit. There isn’t going to be enough cake to go round at this rate and it is supposed to be for when my oldest friend in the world visits tomorrow (same age, known each other since we were 5).

Posted September 1, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

I got the clue straight away Kath

• Lea
                    Posted September 1, 2012 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

Haven’t even downloaded the puzzle yet as have been out all day. Will be doing it later as only in for a while. My comment though is about your dogs. My brother and sister-in-law in Canada breed cooleamber airedales which is what yours look like. They are beautiful animals and you obviously get lots of pleasure from them.

Posted September 1, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

Have I had another one edited then sue!!!

Posted September 1, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

Not you this time Mary. Kath gave away part of the answer to 20a when commenting on the name of one of Collywobbles’ dogs so I took the name out. Definitely not going to be enough cake today.

I have to pop out for an hour or so – see if you can all behave while I am gone.

Posted September 1, 2012 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

Oh well we’ll have a party while you pop out for more ingredients :-) Tut, tut, naughty Kath, think you’d know better by now ;-)

Posted September 1, 2012 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

Oh dear!! Sorry!! There seemed to have been SO many comments relating to this one that I thought I’d get away with it without being in trouble, or the naughty corner!! :oops: Will try to behave now.

Posted September 1, 2012 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

Too late! :-D Hurry up with those cakes

• Digby
            Posted September 1, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

CHILE.
            (only joking)
            Today was a gentle stroll, with no trip-wires or potholes.
            */***
            Thanks C/BD

Posted September 1, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

I still think that Chile was right (only joking)

Posted September 1, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

pushing it now collywobs ;-)

Posted September 1, 2012 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

I withdraw and give in. How do you move the smiley faces Mary

Posted September 1, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

what do you mean collywobs?

Posted September 1, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

What do you think?? :D

9. Digby
    Posted September 1, 2012 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

I note that those paper-people still hunting the prize pen can now Scan and submit to
    prize.puzzles@telegraph.co.uk
    The Sunday puzzle has offered this facility for a while, but I hadn’t noticed that DT now does so as well.

• gnomethang
      Posted September 1, 2012 at 8:43 pm | Permalink

..and with the cost of the stamp that must be a bonus!

10. mary
    Posted September 1, 2012 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

After much perservation I have still only completed the top right and bottom left corners with a couple of others thrown in, is it me????

• Digby
      Posted September 1, 2012 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

Hi Mary – any particular clue(s) annoying you?

Posted September 1, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

Hi Digby, I’ve now got the bottom right hand corner to do, very much a four corner puzzle today, it might help if I could get 20a, and 24a then I’d just have 16d and 21d left!

• Digby
          Posted September 1, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

20a – think of the ubiquitous, bearded Ozzie “artist”.
          24a – you’re looking for an old name for a golf club

Posted September 1, 2012 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

Thanks Digby I’ve got 24a, had to look up golf clubs to get it, don’t see where the cup-holder comes in, still stuck on 20 though I know who you’re talking about!

Posted September 1, 2012 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

The cup in question could be a C or D or even a double-G. :D

Posted September 1, 2012 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

Thanks gazza, only you could explain so well ;-)

• stanXYZ
                  Posted September 1, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

Indeed! Only gazza could it explain it so well – without an illustration! :grin:

Posted September 1, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

Don’t push your luck – there’s still time! :smile:

• stanXYZ
              Posted September 1, 2012 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

Mary, 20a – “Can you tell what it is yet?”

Posted September 1, 2012 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

yes thanks stan and everyone, having a dense day!

• Digby
              Posted September 1, 2012 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

Reverse his first name + IN (from the clue)
              I think you’re old enough to remember these – apologies if I’ve got that wrong!

Posted September 1, 2012 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

no apology needed Digby, you got it right:-)

• Sheepdog
                  Posted September 1, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

Decimalisation Day was my 17th birthday – I still sometimes translate prices into pound, shilling and pence

• Posted September 1, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

As bent as a nine-bob note doesn’t really translate into decimal!

• Sheepdog
                      Posted September 1, 2012 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

As bent as a 45pence note – yes you’re right

Posted September 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

I still cook in pounds and ounces and sew in yards, feet and inches – drives husband mad!!

• Sheepdog
                      Posted September 1, 2012 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

I frequently refer to 50 pence as being a ten-bob bit – confuses my younger colleagues

Posted September 1, 2012 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

The only thing I’ve gone metric in is money, nothing else!!

Posted September 1, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

No, Mary, I’ve done the same bits and I’m struggling although I am enjoying it

Posted September 1, 2012 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

It took me quite a bit of perservation too Mary (for a Saturday anyway) mind you Mr CS was hoovering in the background.

A nice Saturday challenge with lots of d’oh about it. Thanks to setter and BD.

12. Collywobbles
    Posted September 1, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

Can anybody help with 20a. It doesn’t seem to be an anagram of Harris

Posted September 1, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

cant help with that one sorry, unless its just harris backwards in which case I’ve never heard of it, never heard 3d either, if I’ve got it right!!

Posted September 1, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

Can you help Digby?

• Digby
          Posted September 1, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

See Reply to #10

Posted September 1, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Thanks Digby, I missed that. Clever clue

• Mr Dog
      Posted September 1, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

Think of an antipodean harris….

Posted September 1, 2012 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

Your comment went into moderation because you’ve changed your alias – both should work from now on.

• Mr Dog
          Posted September 1, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

that’s because I’m an idiot and forgot the first one, which can be deleted !!

• Posted September 1, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

We can’t delete aliases as they are not stored separately. The system checks for a match on any previously moderated comment and accepts it if one is found.

• Mr Dog
              Posted September 1, 2012 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

Clever and no worries cobber.

I’ll have to stick with Mr Dog now, as Mrs Dog has over 700 followers on twitter and steadfastly remains Mrs Dog.

Never upset a Mrs Dog….

• slartibartfast
                Posted September 1, 2012 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

she’s not a snoop doggy dog?

• gnomethang
                Posted September 1, 2012 at 8:45 pm | Permalink

Per Eddie Izzard : Mr Dog will soon change his name to ‘Caesar’.

Posted September 1, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

Thanks Doggie

• Franny
      Posted September 1, 2012 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

I hope this doesn’t land me in the naughty corner, but think of a man with a kangaroo and reverse him. And I also have a very strange word at 3d.

• Digby
        Posted September 1, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

If you look up the word you have at 3d and it concerns the cessation of hostlities, then you probably have the correct solution.

Posted September 1, 2012 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

well the only word I could fir there at first was c****** then that didnt fit with 1 across, so now I have a different first letter giving me a word I’ve never seen before!

Posted September 1, 2012 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

It wasn’t me who edited you Mary, someone got there before me, but I can offer lemon drizzle cake :)

Posted September 1, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

Oh dear, I did think about it but thought I was ok!!!! Sorry :-(

Posted September 1, 2012 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

Anyway I could do with a rest and some of that lovely cake sue after that puzzle, which for some reason I found really hard!

Posted September 1, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

but I’ve obviously got the right word then, what a strange one that is! Sorry Dave

• Franny
                    Posted September 1, 2012 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

Yes, I’ve got the right word too, but had to look in a couple of dictionaries before I could find it. That lemon drizzle cake sounds delicious!

Posted September 1, 2012 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

It was Franny :-)

Posted September 1, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

I’m having the same trouble with 3d Mary, did you resolve it?

Posted September 1, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

Can you expand a bit Digby? (I think that I may have some wrong checking letters but I can’t see what they are)

Posted September 1, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

Thanks Franny, if the moderators send you to the naughty corner I’ll join you

Posted September 1, 2012 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

Thanks Franny, I think you’re safe today :-)

Posted September 1, 2012 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

but I’m not!!

Posted September 1, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

Nor me!!

• Mark L-H
      Posted September 1, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

I can, but it’ll cost you 10p…….or 24d………or a two bob bit….

• Digby
        Posted September 1, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Tee Hee !!
        Or 2 bob !

Posted September 1, 2012 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

How stupid could I be, but definitely not a clue I like!

13. mary
    Posted September 1, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

Well I found that really hard today, thanks everyone that helped me out, landed myself in the naughty corner too! Perservation won out in the end but 3d I’d never heard of and I really struggled with the bottom right hand corner, not one of my favourite Saturday puzzles :-( nice cake sue

14. mary
    Posted September 1, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

I mean how many of us know that 1a is an Adriatic resort??

Posted September 1, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

Those of us who have been there do :)

Posted September 1, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

:-)

Posted September 1, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

OK how many of us have been there?

• stanXYZ
            Posted September 1, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

I’ve been there – 1990 European Athletics Championships! Just before the very bloody break-up of Yugoslavia! On my visit, I definitely got the impression that the various ethnic groups in that part of the world didn’t really like each other!

• stanXYZ
              Posted September 1, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

ps. The Athletics was great from a GB perspective! Lots of Gold medals – if I remember correctly!

• andy
            Posted September 1, 2012 at 9:26 pm | Permalink

Me, and then went up north to Rovinj, heck of a lot cheaper to take the hydrofoil to Venice to see the sights than to actually stay in Venice. Back to the crossword, I thought this harder than usual for a Saturday but no less enjoyable for that. Thanks Setter and BD

15. Tantalus
    Posted September 1, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

Beautiful day here in Boston, Mrs T and I breezed thru this one. Thx BD, if antipodean and kangaroo are not penalized – can I say digeridoo (and lots of heavy breathing).

Posted September 1, 2012 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

Whatever turns you on! :D

• Tantalus
        Posted September 1, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

lol – My usual approach is BD’s ‘lift and separate’ pics, but the digeridoo may serve as a useful standby.

• Mr Dog
      Posted September 1, 2012 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

I get a distinct feeling I’m being nudged towards the naughty corner…..

Posted September 1, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

Damn – just wrote a screed – pressed “Post Comment” and got “Fatal Error” (and then a whole lot more that I can’t remember) and now the comment has vanished! Try again time!
    I thought this was quite difficult in places but have been trying to do it at the same time as making peach jam and peach tarts (a neighbour gave us about 10lbs of peaches yesterday) and I’m SO hopeless at multi-tasking that sometimes I think I must be a man.
    I’ve finally finished the crossword, only needing the hints to explain 20a and the “Balmy Army” bit of 1d. I’ve never heard of the answer for 3d and if I’ve come across the first three letters of 29a meaning “hairpiece” I’ve forgotten about it. With 15a isn’t a more common expression meaning “without energy” ****** out?
    I really enjoyed this one – lots of good clues, probably too many to write them all down so just a few are 1, 12 and 27a and 6, 8 and 16d.
    With thanks to today’s setter and to BD. Now try AGAIN to post this – bet the first commment appears as well and then you’ll all think I’m crazy.

Posted September 1, 2012 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

Agree with most of your comments Kath, especially 15a, bring some of those cakes to the naughty corner, you do know you’re on your way to meet me there don’t you?

Posted September 1, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

Haven’t got time to go to the naughty corner today – too much to do. Still need to clean up the sticky mess in the kitchen before I head off up the garden, and I want to have a go at the NTSPP and the new prize puzzle – maybe they will have to wait until later.

• Tantalus
      Posted September 1, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

I think it may be time for your medication…

• Tantalus
        Posted September 1, 2012 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

you can share mine – I will bring it to the heavybreathing corner

Posted September 1, 2012 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

Definitely!!

Posted September 1, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

I often get that ‘fatal error’ message Kath!

Posted September 1, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

If you get the fatal error message, press F5 or the ‘refresh’ thingy at the top of the page (green circling arrows) and you should get back to the blog and find your comment has got there before you.

Posted September 1, 2012 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

Thanks Sue – not sure about the refresh thingy at the top of the page with the green circling arrows but even I can probably manage F5. I’ll try it next time it happens.

• stanXYZ
      Posted September 1, 2012 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

…I’m SO hopeless at multi-tasking that sometimes I think I must be a man.

I’m listening to the football commentary, watching the paralympics, avoiding the washing up, and trying to think of an apt response to such a sexist comment! :wink:

(Is that an Oxford Comma?)

• Tantalus
        Posted September 1, 2012 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

I suspect the only suitable comment is “no comment” unless I ask my wife permission to say something more manly.

Posted September 1, 2012 at 7:43 pm | Permalink

I’m REALLY not sexist at all – you can ask my husband – it was a joke! And what Oxford comma – I’m completely lost there – or am I being dim yet again? :sad:

17. Collywobbles
    Posted September 1, 2012 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

Finished, blimey, that was a struggle

18. The Buffer
    Posted September 1, 2012 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

No trouble with today’s offering, thanks BD and setter. I was thirty when decimal coinage was introduced and an insurance underwriter. I recall how much easier the calculations became at the time; even so, I still use old coinage terms. I wonder how the youngsters would get along with learning the old weights and measures. Back in the forties and fifties we had to learn rhymes in order to remember Rods, Poles, Perches, Chains and Furlongs. As for Bushels, Pecks, Stones, Quarters and Hundredweights – doesn’t bear thinking about.
    Greetings all and the Sun’s come out in W. Cumbria.

19. riochad
    Posted September 1, 2012 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

Almost finished, but for the life of me I can’t understand how my visual aid answer to 8d relates to risky investments.
    Can anyone clear my cobwebs?

Posted September 1, 2012 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

It is an abbreviated word, but as we are running low on lemon drizzle here thanks to Mary and Kath, I suggest you look it up in the dictionary.

Posted September 1, 2012 at 7:50 pm | Permalink

REALLY sorry – have gobbled it all up! Do hope that you have a lovely day with your old friend tomorrow (and that there’s enough cake left!) :smile:

20. bifield
    Posted September 1, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

It was a struggle for me today but got there in the end. I find it interesting that the ones I struggled with were not mentioned in the comments, but some of the clues other people found hard I solved right away. It shows we are all different.

21. Dr H
    Posted September 1, 2012 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

Only 3d to do but cannot find anything to fit with the letters I have. Any hints welcome . Mark.

Posted September 1, 2012 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

Hi Dr H – welcome to the blog.

• Dr H
        Posted September 1, 2012 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

Thanks

Posted September 1, 2012 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

3d Rightly cut short including spies concerned with ceasefire (7)
          You want an adjective meaning ‘concerned with ceasefire’. An adverb meaning rightly or genuinely is truncated (cut short) and contains the transatlantic body noted for spying.

• Dr H
            Posted September 1, 2012 at 5:32 pm | Permalink

Thanks Gazza

• Dr H
          Posted September 1, 2012 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

Finally 3d came to me. Time for a beer!

22. williamus
    Posted September 1, 2012 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

Nice puzzle. Thanks to the setter and BD’s hints which I didn’t need today, although I could do with the reason why 18a is right…

It’s an odd thing that happens so regularly, it can’t be a coincidence. I got about half-way through this afternoon and stalled. I dozed off in the all-too rare Birmingham sunshine and awoke to find the rest of the puzzle had suddenly become relatively straightforward. Either I had surprised the crossword or a postprandial nap is the key to mental agility…

Enjoy the rest of the weekend all.

Posted September 1, 2012 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

I don’t know whether a nap has anything to do with it, but leave any crossword you are stuck on for an hour or so and you will find that some innner part of your brain has been working on the crossword without you knowing.

18a Roll is a type of list and you just insert a ‘notice’ into a synonym for roll.

• williamus
        Posted September 1, 2012 at 5:48 pm | Permalink

Ahh! Thank you crypticsue… What an interesting theory too!

Posted September 1, 2012 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

It’s worked for me for 43 years now

23. pommers
    Posted September 1, 2012 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

Fairly easy and solved in the street outside local over an early pre-prandial. Very pleasant :smile:

Quite liked 18a – you can guess how I would illustrate!

Thanks to the setter and BD

Posted September 1, 2012 at 7:52 pm | Permalink

I’m far more worried about how you would illustrate 24a!! :grin:

• Posted September 1, 2012 at 8:00 pm | Permalink

Easy

• pommers
          Posted September 1, 2012 at 8:06 pm | Permalink

My choice exactly! Can’t think what Kath’s worried about :grin:

Posted September 1, 2012 at 11:07 pm | Permalink

:grin:

• Tantalus
          Posted September 2, 2012 at 4:31 am | Permalink

bd – of all the opportunities that you had for a “lift & separate” pic for 24a … you must be getting sensitive. Thanks

24. Stuart
    Posted September 1, 2012 at 6:52 pm | Permalink

any clues available on 4 ac and a more of a hint on 23 d

Posted September 1, 2012 at 7:06 pm | Permalink

4a made me smile a lot. No 2 has just arrived back in London from his travels, and won’t be home in Kent until tomorrow or Monday as he has to have a few beeers with his London ‘lot’.

An anagram (undo) of SONS BEERS rearranges to form a description of his state before he met his friends :D

23d to get a very powerful weapon, you need the letters for three differfent blood groups followed by one of the abbreviations for a doctor.

• Stuart
        Posted September 1, 2012 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

I thought 4ac was an anagram, however been given the wrong medicine has made my eyes bad and I miscalculated the number of letters, so frustrating, I think when I win the lottery it will be delivered in larger print.
        Thank you, 23d I was thinking along the lines DR not,,,,,
        Thank you.

Posted September 1, 2012 at 11:11 pm | Permalink

How lovely that son No 2 has arrived back in UK – you must be SO happy and excited about seeing him – with or without a hangover! :smile:

25. AndyB
    Posted September 1, 2012 at 7:45 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the assistance! I’m new to these cryptic crosswords but I solved it! I’m not sure about 26a… I know my answer is right, based on the first part of the clue and the linking letters, but can’t see the link to the second part of the clue. Then again, it’s getting late and I may ‘see’ it in the morning :-)

• Posted September 1, 2012 at 7:56 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Andy

26a College that’s left behind alternative (5)
      The college is created by putting the Latin abbreviation for “that is” and L(eft) after the alternative.

• AndyB
        Posted September 1, 2012 at 10:25 pm | Permalink

Dave

Ahhh… Gotcha!

Thanks :-)

26. gnomethang
    Posted September 1, 2012 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

THanks fr the hints and thanks to the setter. No dramas here apart from the dreadful word at 3d – the wordplay was clear but I was blinded to it even with only the first two letters missing!.
    Bad day at wotk so am back in tomorrow- – catch you all when I can.

• andy
      Posted September 1, 2012 at 9:36 pm | Permalink

Thanks Gnomey, i too thought 3d, as Brian would say, and rightly imho, an absolutely horrid word, one which I hope never to see again or have need to use.

27. Dawn
    Posted September 1, 2012 at 9:56 pm | Permalink

I found this tough going today…usually start it about 14.00 or so and take an hour or so on and off but I still have two to go at 21.50.

Please enlighten me on 5d and 17d, nudges most gratefully received.

Thanks to BD for your hints, I would not have got started today without them and found it hard to spot the anagram indicators today and thanks too, to all contributors to the blog which aided my efforts!

All I can say is thank goodness I invested in BRB and have a thesaurus on my phone otherwise I would still be looking at an empty grid :-)

Posted September 1, 2012 at 10:29 pm | Permalink

5d Stupid fellow, single male, snared by evil (8)

The definition is stupid fellow. Another word for single and a male pronoun both go inside (snared by) an adjective meaning evil.

• Dawn
        Posted September 2, 2012 at 9:44 am | Permalink

Thanks Gazza, I had convinced myself that it ended differently so was barking up another tree in a seperate forest :roll:

Posted September 1, 2012 at 10:32 pm | Permalink

17d British Rail breakfast perhaps about to make you brainy (8)

The definition is brainy. Put the abbreviation for British Rail inside an example (perhaps) of a healthy breakfast.

• Dawn
        Posted September 2, 2012 at 10:03 am | Permalink

Thank you again Gazza, I now have a sore head as the penny has just dropped very hard, perhaps I should stick to what I’m good at (being dense and lace knitting) :D

Posted September 1, 2012 at 11:15 pm | Permalink

The first four letters of 5d escaped me for ages – just couldn’t see it – had “birdbrain” in my head which a) had too many letters and b) didn’t fit the clue at all. Maybe I’m the birdbrain!!

28. Terence Harvey
    Posted September 1, 2012 at 11:40 pm | Permalink

Presume BD is on hols, as this is possibly the least helpful and stingiest of all the hints he has provided for many a year. Only 8 clues several of which like 1D were not too difficult to fathom without help and the hint for 16D absurd as the first 3 letters do not indicate a joke.

29. cruisenuts96
    Posted September 2, 2012 at 9:06 am | Permalink

Really enjoyed this one! think I’m getting better. Needed help for 9a/24a/3d (had to google that one despite your hint) Thank you again.