DT 26948 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 26948 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Crossword Club

Today is your last chance to enter our third Monthly Prize puzzle – entries close at midnight

Most of the terms used in these hints are explained in the Glossary and examples are available by clicking on the entry under “See also”.  Definitions are underlined in the clues.

1a           Bouncer frisking me in portal (10)
This frame connected to a strong fabric sheet, used for bouncing, is an anagram (frisking) of ME IN PORTAL

10a        Lacking will to remove first bit of rubble from main road in USA (9)
This word meaning lacking a will, the kind that is used for the disposition of one’s effects at death, is derived by dropping the R (first bit of Rubble) from a main road in the USA

12a        What could make the dear very upset (6-7)
The first word of this adjective meaning very upset indicates an anagram of THE DEAR which gives the second word of the adjective

21a        Non-stop game of darts (5-3-5)
This word meaning non-stop is also a game played with darts

27a        This could disqualify athlete getting off faster — last (5,5)
An action that could disqualify an athlete from a race is an anagram (getting off) of FASTER LAST

1d           Swarm to gather up (4)
To get this verb meaning to swarm reverse (up in a down clue) a verb meaning to gather or congregate

3d          This may link banks with two means of gambling (7,6)
This construction that links the two banks of a river is made up of two card games that can involve gambling on the results

8d          Surveyor’s instrument finds diamonds in the grainy limestone (10)
To get this instrument that is used by a surveyor put D(iamonds) inside THE and a grainy type of limestone

16d        Mad people who worked at Bletchley Park? (8)
A double definition – an adjective meaning mad and a slang word for Alan Turing’s Bletchley Park code-breakers

23d        Revise writing of Sitwell (4)
This verb meaning to revise is derived by dropping the final letter (endlessly) from the first name of this poetic Dame

The Crossword Club is now open.  Feel free to leave comments.

The Quick crossword pun: {pen} + {tao} + {sweet} = {penthouse suite}

If you were looking for the Giant GK Puzzle on Telegraph Puzzles, it is now available.  Phil McNeill has asked me to to pass his apologies to anyone who was affected.

Posted August 18, 2012 at 10:30 am | Permalink

All finished but with a vague feeling of discomfort. Lots of involved clues that give you an answer but you don’t quite know why. ie 8d, ok the answer is obvious but why grainy limestone and 12a why? 20d is also an iffy clue in my opinion. But hey ho the sun is shining and the cricket should be enthralling. :-)

• Posted August 18, 2012 at 10:50 am | Permalink

I can’t see what is iffy about 20d

Dessert — sounds like champion grub! (7)
      This Middle eastern dessert sounds like a verb meaning to champion and the grub of an insect

• Vorkorsigan
        Posted August 18, 2012 at 11:09 am | Permalink

Agree on 20d but the limestone still escapes me!

• Posted August 18, 2012 at 11:14 am | Permalink

I presume from your later comment that you have “captured” it.

• Vorkorsigan
            Posted August 18, 2012 at 11:21 am | Permalink

Yes thanks, was looking for a word missing an ‘o’. Doh!

2. spindrift
    Posted August 18, 2012 at 10:30 am | Permalink

why is 13d is what is? I’ve got the answer but can’t work out why. All done & favourite clue is 10a.

• Brian
      Posted August 18, 2012 at 10:35 am | Permalink

An anagram of care, row and the place in S America (hope this doesnt upset BD) where the Earth summit was held

3. spindrift
    Posted August 18, 2012 at 10:38 am | Permalink

8D ~ definite article + abridged word for diamonds + a form of limestone ~ all “grainy”
    12A ~ if somebody you loved then left you might be………..
    20A ~ i thought was clever as it sent me in totally the wrong direction

• Posted August 18, 2012 at 10:42 am | Permalink

12a – you’ve missed the point!

What could make the dear very upset (6-7)

• spindrift
        Posted August 18, 2012 at 10:46 am | Permalink

Oh bugger! Of course it does.. I bow to you wise one.

• spindrift
      Posted August 18, 2012 at 10:44 am | Permalink

Brian – this should have been a reply to you – thanks for the explanation

• Brian
      Posted August 18, 2012 at 10:44 am | Permalink

Sorry you have completely lost me, where does the grainy come in and what has it to do with limestone? Just dont get it.

• spindrift
        Posted August 18, 2012 at 10:49 am | Permalink

I think (?) “grainy ” may indicate an anagram & if you’ve got the chambers crossword solver then it gives a list of the limestone alternatives…Spindrift steps back & waits for BD to provide the truth….

• Posted August 18, 2012 at 10:52 am | Permalink

If you look it up in Chambers, this is a limestone consisting of a mass of rounded grains made up of concentric layers – no anagrams involved

• Posted August 18, 2012 at 10:56 am | Permalink

If you think you are being asked to form an anagram from a synonym of a word in the clue then think again. This is known as an indirect anagram and is forbidden for use in most crosswords. The only one that I know that uses them is Myops’ Wee Stinker in the Glasgow Herald.

• spindrift
              Posted August 18, 2012 at 11:16 am | Permalink

Am now thinking again…thank you

• Vorkorsigan
            Posted August 18, 2012 at 11:12 am | Permalink

Thanks for the look-up ref. on the type of limestone. Hate getting a clue and not finding the word!

• williamus
            Posted August 18, 2012 at 11:45 am | Permalink

Isn’t it nice when a piece of obscure information you had stored away turns up in the DT? Knew this from pretty anal knowledge of canal tunnel building. This is really odd stuff because it’s soft at first but hardens on exposure to air, much liked by Victorian builders because of its ease of quarrying… (cont p.64)

• Brian
          Posted August 18, 2012 at 10:53 am | Permalink

Ah now I see, an obscure technical name for limestone known I suspect to very few. What would we do without Chambers!
          Thanks I can now go and get the BBQ bits before the cricket with a calm mind.

• Collywobbles
      Posted August 18, 2012 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

Do you mean 20d?

Posted August 18, 2012 at 10:56 am | Permalink

Like others, managed to get the answers in and then with some had to do some thinking and research to find out how and why !

e.g. 8d – having once been a chartered surveyor the answer seemed obvious from the first reading – but then took some brainwork to understand the wordplay.

Also 4d – answer seemed obvious, but again took me a long time and research to decode the wordplay.

Enjoyed being able to finish it – thank you setter and BD for hints.

5. Sheepdog
    Posted August 18, 2012 at 11:26 am | Permalink

This was one of those crosswords that I thought I would really struggle with, but suddenly it all fell into place. Having completed it I then had to work out why some of the answers were what they were. Thanks for the hints

6. williamus
    Posted August 18, 2012 at 11:31 am | Permalink

This was nice and a relatively easy start to the weekend. Particularly enjoyed 24 across (last in). Thanks to the setter and BD.

Have a good weekend all.

7. Mr Tub
    Posted August 18, 2012 at 11:41 am | Permalink

Quite a contrast to last Saturday!
    A silly mistake with 21a caused a few problems, but I’m more shove ha’penny than darts. 10a may be my favourite today.
    Thanks to the setter and BD, good health to all.

• Caravaggio
      Posted August 18, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

Like Mr Tub, I too had a problem with 21a because I’ve never heard of that expression; we call it something else in Cheshire and I suspect that others will be more familiar with this name as well. I thought that this was most enjoyable puzzle and I particularly liked 6a and 9a – quite possibly because I was on the same wavelength as the compiler. How’s Mary, Dave?

8. gnomethang
    Posted August 18, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

A fair enough puzzle for a more than fair Saturday. Thanks to the setter and to BD for the hints.

9. Digby
    Posted August 18, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

A nice work out on a sunny morning in Heavenly Henfield.
    After a couple of 27s it all fell into place nicely.
    Not possssing the BRB, I’ll take as read the derivation of 8d.
    Now I just hope that young Bairstow, with whose dad I once played a “friendly”, moves on to a Lord’s Ton.
    Thanks to setter and baby-sitter.

• Digby
      Posted August 18, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

“Commentator’s Curse” !!

10. Collywobbles
    Posted August 18, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

Can anybody help with 4d. I think that I have got it but I don’t understand why

• spindrift
      Posted August 18, 2012 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

Think ~ old wayof saying look! then one as in the digit then about reversed inside the Mods’ enemy. That’s how I got it anyway!

• Collywobbles
        Posted August 18, 2012 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

Thanks Spindrift, I’ve got it

Posted August 18, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

Thanks Spindrift – I’d never have thought of that kind of troublemaker!

• Posted August 18, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

I hate to spoil the party again, but the “enemies” of the Mods were the Rockers, identified by their leather gear and motorbikes. The “old troublemaker” in the clue was from the previous decade – a few of them can still be seen at Rock’n’Roll revival concerts, but they are a rare species today.

Posted August 18, 2012 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

I’m still enjoying the party! Spindrift’s hint did at least get me thinking along the right lines. :smile:

• Collywobbles
          Posted August 18, 2012 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

Ah yes, I remember them well. Especially the ones with ******

• Collywobbles
            Posted August 18, 2012 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

Oops, I’m off to the naughty step. Is there any cake CS? (my wife is about to make a cup of tea)

Posted August 18, 2012 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

Cherry and sultana – although it isn’t quite cool enough to eat yet. I am also in the middle of making a sort of savoury chelsea bun type thing – a Nigel Slater recipe from the current Sainsbury’s magazine. Goodness knows why I picked the hottest day of the year to do baking, I must be mad!

• Collywobbles
                Posted August 18, 2012 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

I’ll wait for the bun. My wife doesn’t do much cooking. Ribs and wings tonight courtesy of myself

• Dawn
          Posted August 18, 2012 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

This is the final clue to get, after last Saturday completing the crossword without help, I have done pretty well today.

I only know the Mods and Rockers can anyone nudge me with this pretty please. I have ‘***’ ending 14a which I think is right.

Thanks to setter and BD as always.

Posted August 18, 2012 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

Can’t really add much to BD’s comment except that they were often referred to as ***** boys. Naughty corner here I come! :smile:

• spindrift
          Posted August 18, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

That was one of those “onoseconds” ~ as soon as I pressed post I knew I was wrong. Doh! i think I’ll wind my neck in from now on.

Posted August 18, 2012 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

I enjoyed this one very much although it took me a long time to really get going. I couldn’t do 12a or 4 or 8d for ages. Love 12a but STILL don’t understand the other two – sorry to be dim again but I’d really appreciate a push in the right direction. I’ve looked up limestone and it doesn’t seem to help. Oh dear! 1a took some time too – kept trying to make it end with “man”. I’d have been quicker to get 21a if I’d spelt 20d with the alternative third letter.
    I liked 1, 12 and 17a and 11, 16 and 20d.
    With thanks to the setter (do we know who it was?) and BD and, in advance, to anyone who can explain my two problem answers.

• Collywobbles
      Posted August 18, 2012 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

4d. See one old trouble maker round about was lurking.
      Another 2 letter word for see, one from the clue followed by an old trouble maker from the fifties with ********* ******** which contains the abbreviation for about – all leading to a word for lurking

Posted August 18, 2012 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

It can’t have been that difficult as I managed to solve it in the usual time for the Saturday Mysteron while listening to Mr CS going on and on about something that had displeased him (not an uncommon event but he usually doesn’t do it during my crossword solving time!).

Thanks to the Mysteron and to BD too – I am sure I have favourites but it is too hot to think straight. It is 30 C in the shade in our back garden – who needs to go to Spain???

The NTSPP is very good fun and within the capabilities of all who comment here. If you only do one clue in it, make sure you look at the splendiferous 25d.

Posted August 18, 2012 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the Mysteron & to Big Dave for the hints. Enjoyed this a lot, needed to read the blog to get 4 & 20d. Think I’ve got 22d,but can’t parse it. Ca anyone help please? Off to the Goonerium now. Anyone know where Franco is?

• Posted August 18, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

22d Laugh provided by a Mediterranean port (5)

A laugh (2), a conjunction meaning provided (2) and the A from the clue give this Mediterranean port

• Heno
        Posted August 18, 2012 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

Great, thanks to Big Dave & Crypticsue, yes that makes sense.

Posted August 18, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

Port in the Eastern Med – insert A from the clue and the two-letters used to mean ‘provided’ into a two letter laugh.

Posted August 18, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

I don’t think Franco has been around for quite a while.

Posted August 18, 2012 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

He was grumpy about the Toughie last night so I don’t think he can be far away!

Have you tried the NTSPP Kath! – it is very user friendly and great fun too.

Posted August 18, 2012 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

Yes – fished it a little while ago. Really good! :grin:

Posted August 18, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

Fished? :roll: As I’m sure you guessed it was meant to be finished!!

Posted August 18, 2012 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

Don’t know about you but I am finding it too hot to type straight :)

• Franco
          Posted August 18, 2012 at 6:36 pm | Permalink

Not Grumpy – analytical!

Can’t join in so much these days! The men in White Coats very rarely let me near the computer! :wink:

• andy
            Posted August 18, 2012 at 8:37 pm | Permalink

“giggles”

14. Senf
    Posted August 18, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

Pretty good for a Saturday, four left to complete at lights out last night. With all the help above (thanks to all) now down to one – 17a – going nowhere fast on that one. Favourites were 10a and 24a

• Senf
      Posted August 18, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

Got it! Changed the way I was reading the clue and hey presto – something seasonal!

• Addicted
        Posted August 18, 2012 at 8:26 pm | Permalink

Hey Senf – have been reading all the comments to find something about 17a, which I think I “have” but simply cannot understand why!! Some help in this direction would be much appreciated.

• Senf
          Posted August 18, 2012 at 10:31 pm | Permalink

Two three letter words combine to ******** * ******* [the definition is an adjective meaning “without cheer” BD]. A synonym for gain, and a score with the oval ball. Hope that helps.

Posted August 18, 2012 at 10:38 pm | Permalink

I had already done that one but I think it’s a really smart hint! :smile:

15. Stuart
    Posted August 18, 2012 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

Any body got a clue for 11 down?
    I am stuck on that one and thet word generator comes up with nothing must be wrong somewhere?

Posted August 18, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

You are looking for the plural of marksmen – the first six letters are a term for cheats or people who deal in dishonest practices and the second half of the solution is an informal way of referring to noses

• Stuart
        Posted August 18, 2012 at 6:12 pm | Permalink

crypticsue, thank-you for that but non the wiser!

anything else, just not seeing it 15ac & 19ac i have not got to connect with the rest I think are corrrect?

Posted August 18, 2012 at 6:39 pm | Permalink

15a wind here doesn’t mean air but something going round and round. A reversal of word meaning tears (not crying tears) follows by A from the clue) and the abbreviation for Lake.

19a An anagram (new) of ORBIT HIP should give you a word meaning bar or ban.

• Addicted
          Posted August 18, 2012 at 8:29 pm | Permalink

My word generator gave it to me – do you have something wrong somewhere perhaps? Try leaving “dodgy” letters out!

16. Collywobbles
    Posted August 18, 2012 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

Can somebody help with 7d. I just can’t see it. I’m not good at religous clues

Posted August 18, 2012 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

Even someone not good at religious clues ought to be able to insert A from the clue into a type of clergyman. Looking up pile in the dictionary might shed a bit more light.

• Collywobbles
        Posted August 18, 2012 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

Doh!. Thanks CS. Finished

17. Derek
    Posted August 18, 2012 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed solving this puzzle in the torrid heat of my apartment.

Faves : 24a, 16d & 20d. Surely in 22d it is only half a guffaw?

Had dinner last evening with my daughter out on the veranda at a well-known restaurant on the Kaag – kept very cool by the water!
    Tonight shall eat à l’espagnole i.e. very late indeed.

We are promised some rain later next week so I hope the forecast is correct.

What a change from my years in Scotland when we used to pray for the rain to stop!
    As I said before, up there it does at least help to make malt whisky!

• andy
      Posted August 18, 2012 at 6:11 pm | Permalink

And tonights menu is, and the vino? welcome back, hope you enjoyed the var

• Derek
        Posted August 18, 2012 at 7:21 pm | Permalink

Hi Andy!

Yes the Var was OK as far as weather is concerned but at my age, I find the terrain too steep and in summer it is too hot so next year I shall go down in the spring – or not at all!

Tonight , I had salmon fillet and chips with a drop of Vouvray,

• andy
          Posted August 18, 2012 at 8:30 pm | Permalink

Well I had salmon and Vouvray, but not chips, just some salad, missed your comments as well as Mary’s whilst she is recuperating. Its quite warm here today, not sure who was glad to get home for water first, me or the dogs…..

• pommers
            Posted August 18, 2012 at 8:36 pm | Permalink

We too are having salmon fillets with stir-fry veg, and a bottle of the local Alicante white :grin:

• andy
              Posted August 18, 2012 at 8:54 pm | Permalink

Enjoy, working at the Peterborough Beer Festival until next saturday, will try and keep an eye on the blog but doubt will do much crossword solving. Some way to use a week of annual leave eh!!. Opens to the public on Tuesday, Millwall playing, Next saturday Leeds, thank your lord they’re lager drinkers so will give it a wide berth, fingers crossed!!

• Posted August 18, 2012 at 9:13 pm | Permalink

We had the Hairy Dieters (aka the Hairy Bikers) Sweet and Sour Chicken recipe – highly recommended

• pommers
                  Posted August 18, 2012 at 9:25 pm | Permalink

I shall have a look! Their ‘Somerset chicken’ – not at all dietous- is wonderful’ Works well with pork fillet too :grin:

18. Brad
    Posted August 18, 2012 at 5:06 pm | Permalink

Hi everyone! Am I the only one who got for 13 d a nation next to Australia? Any hints on 24a? Thanks!

• Senf
      Posted August 18, 2012 at 6:08 pm | Permalink

Think of a Shakespearean king and reverse (returns) and insert him into one of the usual single letters and a four letter synonym for a location to get a biblical tribe.

• stanXYZ
      Posted August 18, 2012 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

G’Day, Mate,

13d – You’re probably the only one! :wink:

24a – Definition: “biblical tribe.” The legendary king is from Shakespeare and is reversed (returns) in the solution.

19. pommers
    Posted August 18, 2012 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

Hello everyone, a bit late on parade today due to picking pommette up at San Javier airport, yes she’s back for a couple of weeks!
    What a fine puzzle :smile: Just right for a Staurday I thought. A few :grin: and a few head sctratches but relatively straightforward. We got seven of the acrosses and then all but two of the downs on first pass!
    Favourite was 16d – a friend’s mother was one of them!

Thanks to the setter and BD.

20. Little Dave
    Posted August 18, 2012 at 6:20 pm | Permalink

All done despite the heat! 12a was my favourite. 10a features an awful lot. Off to Lord’s tomorrow. Lovely.

21. Derek
    Posted August 18, 2012 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

Dear BD,
    You cancelled my modification to my blog #17 and left #17 unchanged!
    Why?

• Posted August 18, 2012 at 6:55 pm | Permalink

Not guilty – it had been done by the time I followed up your deletion request.

• Posted August 18, 2012 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

I’ve swapped them over – is that correct now?

• Derek
          Posted August 18, 2012 at 7:09 pm | Permalink

I worked with Turing and Tommy Flowers and many others of that gang including WWChandler – omega squared C as we called him!

• Derek
        Posted August 18, 2012 at 7:03 pm | Permalink

Your site clearly needs more precision!

• Posted August 18, 2012 at 7:06 pm | Permalink

Someone was doing you a favour by deleting what appeared to be a duplicate comment. When I followed up your deletion request I found that there was only one there and took no further action.

• Posted August 18, 2012 at 7:09 pm | Permalink

For future reference you have about 15 minutes to be able to edit any comment that you make – enough time to correct any typos.

• Derek
              Posted August 18, 2012 at 7:14 pm | Permalink

Not necessary now – I am quite sharp with a computer – but if you want real speed you should talk to my son – he is in Barcelona at the moment!

22. Addicted
    Posted August 18, 2012 at 8:35 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed that one and had time to-day to concentrate, didn’t need hints but did need my trusty Seiko on occasions! Have said up above that I don’t undetstand 17a – always assuming I have the right answer, of course! – but otherwise most things made sense – except the limestone bit which I have yet to look up Loved 20d and 10a (though I agree it does crop up quite often but always very differently clued!) Thanks to setter and BD.