DT 26942 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 26942 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Crossword Club

There’s still time to enter our third Monthly Prize crossword today – don’t miss it.

1a           Talk about deerstalker perhaps (4)
This verb meaning to talk informally is derived from the abbreviation of the Latin for about followed by the item of clothing of which a deerstalker is an example (perhaps)

3a           Become gradually less light (5)
… if you are looking for the definition it is the last word

8a           Bats flutter maybe, flapping about in opera (6,9)
Start with a word meaning bats or bonkers then add an anagram (flapping about) of FLUTTER MAYBE to get a Giacomo Puccini opera

17a         Four repeatedly redesigned fussy decoration (4-4)
…  that means it’s an anagram (redesigned) of FOUR FOUR

19a         Conferences required when centre of Syria is occupied by politicians accepting nothing (8)
… or more accurately the centre of Syria is replaced by politicians accepting nothing

23a         Unfair, making regular visits to Burghley (4)
… read the first word as un-fair

25a         Dreadful sound made by colourful worker (4)
This word that sounds like a synonym of dreadful is actually a worker who colours cloth

1d           Doctor seen in outdoor clothing meeting worker and fighter (9)
Put one of the abbreviations for doctor inside an item of outdoor clothing then add a worker insect and the result is a fighter

4d           Victoria paid for headlong plunge (7)
The type of fruit of which Victoria is an example is followed by a verb meaning paid a bill to get a headlong plunge

5d           Animal with another animal on American railroad (5)
… this elevated American railroad, like the one in Chicago, pops up in crosswords from time to time

6d           Hit no longer available, being deleted (6,3)
Be careful with the tense – I hit the ball today (present) or I hit the ball yesterday (past); the clue is in deleted, the definition  – it’s no wonder foreigners have trouble learning English

12d         Silence young dog with savoury doughnut (4,5)
A charade of a silence and  young dog gives an American savoury doughnut – I’ve never heard of the doughnut but the answer means something completely different in the UK!

16d         Coming to a similar conclusion, we hear (7)
Not a homophone, but a characteristic of two words or lines that end with the same sound

20d         Therefore friar may be cut off in old city (5)
Start with a two-letter word meaning therefore and add an abbreviation (cut short) of an order of friars to get this old Biblical city

The Crossword Club is now open.  Feel free to leave comments.

The Quick crossword pun: {nut} + {craic} + (cur) + {sweet} = {Nutcracker Suite}

1. toadson
    Posted August 11, 2012 at 10:53 am | Permalink

I was given a bit of a lecture last time I said this, but done in fairly short time today. Save the postage stamp, I reckon. Quite enjoyable though! Have a good weekend all.

2. Lydia T. Pott
    Posted August 11, 2012 at 11:12 am | Permalink

Too many anagrams for my taste but overall fairly enjoyable. Not seen 5d for a while!

Thanks to the setter and BD.

3. Brenda Reding
    Posted August 11, 2012 at 11:20 am | Permalink

A very gentle start to Saturday but quite fun to do.Sometimes it’s nice not to struggle. Liked 3 and 25A, 7, 12, 16 and 20D Thanks to setter and B.D.

4. Hrothgar
    Posted August 11, 2012 at 11:30 am | Permalink

Satisfying, gentle massaging of the cerebellum – 5d was a ‘try it and see’ though.
    We don’t have xxs here, or they’re not called as such.
    Thanks setter and BD.

5. Sheepdog
    Posted August 11, 2012 at 11:41 am | Permalink

I’m stuck in NE corner, a hint for 10 across would be much appreciated

• Lydia T. Pott
      Posted August 11, 2012 at 11:51 am | Permalink

Hi Sheepdog

10a – an atomic group is a colloquial term for a spy followed by an anagram (translated) of CLUE.

• Sheepdog
        Posted August 11, 2012 at 11:56 am | Permalink

D’oh – thanks very much, I hope that helps with the other couple that I haven’t got

• Sheepdog
          Posted August 11, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

Yes, that helped me finish, thanks very much.

Now I’ll try the general knowledge crossword (encouraged by getting 19 in the ‘pub quiz’ didn’t know what POP stands for)

• Jerry
            Posted August 11, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

Well think of PO meaning in UK then follow it by a method.

• Posted August 11, 2012 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Jerry

• Jerry
                Posted August 11, 2012 at 7:50 pm | Permalink

Thx Dave I find it useful.

• pommers
                  Posted August 11, 2012 at 8:09 pm | Permalink

Hope to hear from you again – we’re a friendly bunch (mostly!).

Posted August 11, 2012 at 11:43 am | Permalink

OK today but not much fun I thought. Still have one to go and that is 5d. Don’t get the hint either. Can anyone help?

• Heno
      Posted August 11, 2012 at 11:50 am | Permalink

Think of a rodent with three letters followed by a two letter abbreviation for American railroad, then put together to form another rodent.

• Geoff Marbella
      Posted August 11, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

Never heard of this animal or the chicago railroad would suggest you use the options you get after 3A, 8A and 10A completed and look them up!

• Brian
      Posted August 11, 2012 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

Thx for the help, never heard of this animal. I think setters must have a list of weird and wonderful words that they are allowed to use just once to confuse us poor souls. Never come across 12d either in this context, always thought these were something you **** ** **** ****!

• Brian
        Posted August 11, 2012 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

Sorry that should have read weird and wonderful but the predictive texting had its own idea. Can’t edit the comment today it just drops out in iPad mode.

• Posted August 11, 2012 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

I’ve edited it for you! I deliberately avoided mentioning the other item in the hints, so I have deleted your reference.

• Brian
            Posted August 11, 2012 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

Oops sorry, much grovelling!

• Senf
      Posted August 11, 2012 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

NE corner was “tricky.” Not sure I understand why what I put in for 6a works, or even 7d (a sea from the Good Book?). Otherwise very enjoyable for a Saturday.

Living in Texas, I know about 12d – a most odd “edible” item which according to legend was made from scraps by Southern fishermen and Civil War soldiers to toss to barking and begging dogs with the command to “****, *****.”

Posted August 11, 2012 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

Look at your answer for 6a backwards and then look up the singular in the dictionary. 7d is a charade of a way of referring to a girl, I from the clue and a word meaning shelter (from the wind, is how I always think of it).

• pommers
          Posted August 11, 2012 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

Shelter from the wind is exactly what it is to a sailor! Talking of sailing the Spanish senoritas just won a Gold in the Eliot match-racing! :grin:

• Senf
          Posted August 11, 2012 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

Doh – Thanks CS and Pommers!

• Posted August 12, 2012 at 10:54 am | Permalink

I too am stuck on 6a and have tried looking up the singular of the reverse of my word, but it does not seem to be there!
          Can you tell me if the meaning of the word is story?

Posted August 12, 2012 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

Welcome Mowser. It is indeed a type of story of heroic deeds. The Commander is a Turkish commander or chief officer.

• Posted August 12, 2012 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

Thank you Crypticsue!
              I now understand the clue!

7. Geoff Marbella
    Posted August 11, 2012 at 11:48 am | Permalink

Can I get a nudge for 10 please

• Heno
      Posted August 11, 2012 at 11:51 am | Permalink

Think of another word for spy, four letters, followed by an anagram of clue.

• Geoff Marbella
      Posted August 11, 2012 at 11:56 am | Permalink

thanks – error was got wrong tense for 6 Down

Posted August 11, 2012 at 11:53 am | Permalink

Thanks to the setter & to Big Dave for the hints. Found this quite straighforward. Favourites were 10,24a & 5d. Summer at last in Central London.

Posted August 11, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

Nice and straightforward – the perfect puzzle for a busy Saturday thank you Cephas. Thanks to BD too.

• Caravaggio
      Posted August 11, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

I echo those sentiments, Sue, especially as I watching television at the same time. It would seem that life will return to normal from Monday onwards…

10. Geoff Marbella
    Posted August 11, 2012 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

I see some people have their own icon next to their name – is it possible to change from the robot mask I have to something else like my scruufy dog?

• Posted August 11, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

Geoff

That’s a Frequently Asked Question, so guess where you might find the answer!

• Geoff Marbella
      Posted August 11, 2012 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

Of course it is – not thinking – just too hot here on the Costa. So Gravatar or WordPress? Which is the least intrusive as I only need this for here on Big Dave. I really have no problem with the Robot but my scruffy dog is better looking.

11. Collywobbles
    Posted August 11, 2012 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

What an enjoyable puzzle. Many thanks to Cephas and to Big Dave for the hints. Does anyone know what has happened to Mary?

• Posted August 11, 2012 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

Mary is in hospital seeing if she can win a gold medal for number of tests undergone in a single visit! I hope all will join with me in sending our good wishes.

• pommers
        Posted August 11, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

She certainly has my best wishes! Knew she’d been unwell but didn’t know she’s in hospital.

Get well soon Mary – we all miss you.

• Caravaggio
          Posted August 11, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

Yes, I too hope that you get well soon, Mary.

Posted August 11, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

I echo what pommers has just said – if you are in touch with her, BD, please send my best wishes too.

Posted August 11, 2012 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

And from me too.

• Posted August 11, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

Only via facebook – I’ll add a message.

• Posted August 11, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

Mary has already replied to my message:

“Thanks Dave miss you all too just not got the energy to come on site at moment still in hospital!!”

• Annidrum
              Posted August 11, 2012 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

Best Wishes Mary.

• Brian
        Posted August 11, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

Really sorry to hear that, please send my best wishes and tell her we are all missing her and hope she gets well soon.

• Heno
        Posted August 11, 2012 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

Get well soon Mary

• andy
      Posted August 11, 2012 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

Very best wishes Mary from me and huggles from Cynthia and Cuthbert. Much love

• Collywobbles
      Posted August 11, 2012 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

Best wishes to Mary from me. I hope that she recovers soon

Posted August 11, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

Thank you setter, most enjoyable and took my mind off the booming music played by our neighbours. One of the problems which a sunny day brings ! Thank you BD for the hints – although not needed today.

13. jaycat
    Posted August 11, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed this one very much, not too hard for my Saturday brain, perhaps a tad too many anagrams though.

Thanks to Cephas and BD and best wishes to Mary

J

Posted August 11, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

I agree that there are lots of anagrams in this puzzle but I like them and I enjoyed it very much.
    I got in a terrible muddle with 8a – got the answer, realised that it was an anagram, of sorts, just couldn’t work out the right letters but the hint has sorted that one out. The hints have also sorted out the others that I didn’t understand – 19a and 5d. Still don’t entirely get 20d. I didn’t know that 12d was a savoury doughnut.
    I liked 1, 3, 22 and 24a and 3 and 16d.
    Thanks to Cephas and BD.

Posted August 11, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

Maybe I’ve just sorted out 20d. I was looking for a four letter friar with his last letter cut off. Am I right in thinking that it’s a long word – nine letters – so very much cut off?

Posted August 11, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

Yes, I think, your question is nearly as cryptic as a clue! :D

Posted August 11, 2012 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

Couldn’t quite think how else to word it without being sent to the naughty corner and it sounds as if you’re too busy with campers to be making cakes today!! :smile:

Posted August 11, 2012 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

The campers and the stayers at the Premier Inn up the road have all gone now, son and girlfriend are out, it is really odd just me and Mr CS. Extremely quiet :)

16. gazza
    Posted August 11, 2012 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

If you’re looking for something a bit more stimulating than this one (but not so difficult as to drive you to drink) in between watching the Olympic events, I thoroughly recommend the super NTSPP from Bufo.

• williamus
      Posted August 11, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

Gazza… no thanks!

This one was just fine especially after yesterdays’ little challenge, so I’m going to quit while I’m ahead and enjoy the rest of the sunshine before it rains tomorrow. Many thanks to you for yesterdays’ hints and to Cephas and Big Dave for today.

17. Lydia T. Pott
    Posted August 11, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

I don’t need driving to drink Gazza, the bar’s just round the corner! Agree that the NTSPP is very good. Struggling a little in the NW corner at the moment but I’ve had one eye on the lady’s mountain bike race :grin:

18. spindrift
    Posted August 11, 2012 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

Usual format me on a Saturday -i.e. slow start down the first straight then up to speed in the middle with a fast final furlong. Thank to Cephas & to BD for the hints which I didn’t refer to for a change.

I wonder if I stopped gong out for a few cheeky halves with my sons on a Friday night would I be able to get a better start on a Saturday morning?

Best wishes to Mary & have a speedy recovery ~ we miss your wisdom.

19. Annidrum
    Posted August 11, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

Nice & straightforward today although 16d beat me but knowing what the answer is and reading the clue again I think it is very clever. :smile:

20. Bill Hampton
    Posted August 11, 2012 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

What is 5D???

• Posted August 11, 2012 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

There is already help for 5 down in the hints and the comments – and a please wouldn’t go amiss.

• andy
      Posted August 11, 2012 at 7:09 pm | Permalink

i so wish the answer was unwelcome irritant, now quite frankly go defecate elsewhere you stupid little hampton

21. Bill Hampton
    Posted August 11, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

I don’t want help, I want an answer.

• Posted August 11, 2012 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

Come back and read the full review of this Prize crossword on Friday.

22. Bill Hampton
    Posted August 11, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

*****. Boom.

• Posted August 11, 2012 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

Second thoughts, don’t bother to come back.

• Heno
        Posted August 11, 2012 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

Hear hear !!

23. Denis
    Posted August 11, 2012 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

I went though today’s crossword rather quickly but my thanks to the setter.It gave me a pleasant time whilst consuming my bacon buttie here in sunny Cheadle Hulme. As with many 5d, was the last in, a new word to me but once you have the crossing letters it can be constructed from the clue.
    Sadly I cannot attend Anax’s B & S meeting combined with finestkind Saga qualification thrash as it clashes with our 40th wedding anniversary bash.

I have printed the photo of the Lass of Gowrie meeting and flaunted it shamelessly as me mixing with the lumenaries of the crossword world.

Thanks to Big Dave, Best wishes Mary, regards to all,

Denis

24. The Buffer
    Posted August 11, 2012 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

Once again, very enjoyable from Cephas; thanks to him. Never come across 5d before but then, I never take much notice of Americanisms. I also thought 19a was in relation to drinking parties rather than conferences.
    Get well soon Mary, best wishes. I had a spell in hospital back in February and it’s such a relief to get home.
    Thanks BD; first time I’ve seen you allow anyone to rattle you.

• Posted August 11, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

I wasn’t rattled – I just don’t like people with no manners who ignore the weekend posting protocol. He published the answer out of spite, but has been suspended from posting again.

Posted August 11, 2012 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

Three cheers for BD, as always, but particularly today! :smile:

• Denis
      Posted August 11, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

I agree.
      Dave can you block the appropriately surnamed contributor?

Denis

• Posted August 11, 2012 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

He was blocked immediately. Thanks for the support.

• pommers
          Posted August 11, 2012 at 4:43 pm | Permalink

Well done Dave – we don’t need types like that.

Re 5d, it used to be a regular in crosswords but it must be about a year since I last saw it. maybe he’s making a comeback! Worth remembering anyway.

• Heno
          Posted August 11, 2012 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

Well done Dave, I agree, we don’t want people like that here.

• julian of ec4
          Posted August 11, 2012 at 5:10 pm | Permalink

I guess he just got 6 downed as well…. ;)

Posted August 11, 2012 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

Superb use of the Cockney rhyming slang, Denis :)

Posted August 11, 2012 at 6:46 pm | Permalink

I don’t understand the cockney rhyming slang bit – what am I missing?
          I’m wondering if YOU could be heading for the naughty corner because of one of the words you used in your comment!! :smile:

• Posted August 11, 2012 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

The full rhyming slang is Hampton Wick.

• Lydia T. Pott
              Posted August 11, 2012 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

Thanks Dave – a new one on me too!

• andy
                Posted August 11, 2012 at 7:12 pm | Permalink

really?

• stanXYZ
                  Posted August 11, 2012 at 7:21 pm | Permalink

Where Henry VIII got his Hampton Court?

• stanXYZ
                    Posted August 11, 2012 at 8:02 pm | Permalink

Oooh! Matron!

Posted August 12, 2012 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

The things that I learn here never fail to amaze me!! :grin:

Posted August 12, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

What slightly perturbs me is that, as a lady, should I know what that particular rhyming slang means? :D

• Captain Beefheart
      Posted August 11, 2012 at 9:54 pm | Permalink

Hello The Buffer, Xenophon went to one in Pireaus and it was all about eating drinking and dancing girls!

• Lydia T. Pott
        Posted August 11, 2012 at 10:33 pm | Permalink

Sounds like fun to me :lol:

25. Addicted
    Posted August 11, 2012 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

HELP please! Despite the hints and some comments, I still CAN’T get 6d – nor 6a, either, which would be a great help! Woe is me! and I did the rest with great pleasure and enjoyment. Sorry to hear about Mary – best wishes from me too.

• Denis
      Posted August 11, 2012 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

6D Think Medics being deleted from list.

• Heno
      Posted August 11, 2012 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

6a, think Ottoman commanders, and reverse it.

• Addicted
        Posted August 11, 2012 at 6:21 pm | Permalink

Thank you Denis & Heno – obvious when you know how!! Just couldn’t “see” them.

26. julian of ec4
    Posted August 11, 2012 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

has the man hampton been 6 downed:-)

27. The Buffer
    Posted August 11, 2012 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

6d is what BD has just inflicted on a recalcitrant contributor, but it mainly applies to doctors who misbehave. 6athink of an organisation catering solely for the over fifties; also means a story.

• Posted August 11, 2012 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

It takes me ages to move a comment to make it a reply – I have to log off, add a comment as me, log back on and then edit the comment. I did this for Denis, but I’ll leave yours here. It is a lot tidier if you click reply when answering a comment – and it won’t then end up on a different page!

• The Buffer
        Posted August 11, 2012 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

Got it – sorry! I am better at solving crosswords than handling matters involving computer technology. I shall try and avoid further inconvenience.

28. cruisenuts96
    Posted August 11, 2012 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

Finished on a Saturday!! Last to get was 16d. Liked 4d.
    Thx to setter and Big D. Will try tomorrow’s this week

29. Derek
    Posted August 11, 2012 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

Solved this one in the heat of an almost Mediterranean afternoon here in NL.
    Faves : 8a, 17a, 21a, 22a, 4d, 7d, 14d & 20d.
    Liked 20d since it is a change from the Chaldean one!

Best wishes to Mary – get better you Welsh wizard – we miss you on the Blog!

30. mikef
    Posted August 11, 2012 at 6:21 pm | Permalink

Thoroughly enjoyed that and only needed a couple of hints. I haven’t come across 5d before.

31. Sarah F
    Posted August 11, 2012 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

Just working my way throught this puzzle—nice and gentle, suits my life just now. Also caught up with everyone and good to be back again.

32. Rod Ash
    Posted August 11, 2012 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

evening all. I thought that this felt slightly different without being particularly hard or easy. I like clues where I get the answer after a minute to think through all the different meanings. Plenty of those today. Thanks

33. Peter
    Posted August 11, 2012 at 7:51 pm | Permalink

Bit late posting today, painting outside of the house before it rains again!
    Thanks for the hints, BD, though I didn’t need them today. Got hung up in NE corner with the wrong tense but having sorted that, no problems.

34. Lydia T. Pott
    Posted August 11, 2012 at 8:39 pm | Permalink

Mo did BRILLIANT! Question is “what am I going to watch on the TV next week?” :grin:

• andy
      Posted August 11, 2012 at 11:36 pm | Permalink

didn’t he just, was privileged to watch the brilliant Nick Skelton at Greenwich park earlier this week, even here in Glasgow Olympic fever rules. The Paralympics should be good too.

35. Dawn
    Posted August 11, 2012 at 10:58 pm | Permalink

This was my first puzzle finished without reading the hints and comments, so feeling mighty pleased with myself.

Thanks as ever to BD for this fab site and to the setter.

Best wishes to Mary for a speedy recovery.

• Posted August 11, 2012 at 11:02 pm | Permalink

Well done Dawn

We always like to hear about successes like yours.

• pommers
      Posted August 11, 2012 at 11:21 pm | Permalink

Way to go Dawn! Well done that girl!

• andy
      Posted August 11, 2012 at 11:39 pm | Permalink

Well done you Dawn

36. Caroline
    Posted August 12, 2012 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

Hello, I know it’s Sunday and you crossword pros put your pens down about 10mins after picking them up yesterday, but as a mere mortal I still have two left. Help on either 18d or 21a would be much appreciated. Thx

Posted August 12, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

Hi Caroline. 18d is a hidden word – you are looking for a home of a member of the clergy. 21a is the nickname for a member of the Military Police. Insert the abbreviation for District Commissioner into a verb meaning to cut down, eg corn.

37. Caroline
    Posted August 12, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

Thanks Crypticsue. Can’t believe I didn’t see 18d! I’ve followed this page for over a yr now and learnt so much. Just waiting for the day I complete without needing the clues. It will be a while yet, but one day… Thx again.

Posted August 12, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

I am sure it won’t be long before you can complete one without hints. Now that you have de-lurked, I hope we will hear from you on a regular basis.

Posted August 12, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

Hi Caroline,
      You will learn so much here that you’ll soon be able to do them without hints sometimes, then a bit more often etc etc. No-one here ever minds questions and there are lots of really helpful and knowledgeable people around. Keep commenting! :smile:

38. norval
    Posted August 14, 2012 at 9:35 pm | Permalink

Just wanted to say thank you to all, could never finish without you

• Posted August 14, 2012 at 9:38 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog norval

Keep at it and one day you will succeed.

• andy
      Posted August 14, 2012 at 11:24 pm | Permalink

A lot of us needed a hint at some point, and still do, welcome