ST 2651 (Hints)

Sunday Telegraph Cryptic No 2651 (Hints)

Hints and tips by Big Dave

1a           Works of Warhol, every year, displayed in New York, say (3,3)
The type of paintings that were produced by Andy Warhol are derived by putting the abbreviation of the Latin for every year inside a town with a harbour, like (say) New York

11a         Watch piece of action in court, whence one can see how the land lies (9)
A charade of a four-letter verb meaning to watch and piece of action in a sport played on a court which leads to a unit in scoring gives this position from whence one can see how the land lies

13a         Cheese in list included by child (7)
To get this blue cheese put a verb meaning to list inside a male child

14a         Become absent-minded? That’s how organisation may be broken up (14)
Split as (6,8) this could be to become absent-minded but it’s actually how an organisation may be broken up

21a         Part of spiritual system (7)
This &Lit clue has the answer hidden inside!

23a         Favourite included in short order to enter race (7)
Put a teacher’s favourite inside a short (i.e. either of the two words) order, said when correcting someone, to get a verb meaning to enter a race

27a         King careless about warning device (6)
Combine K(ing), a word meaning careless and a two-letter preposition meaning about gives this warning device, often used to give notice of an air raid

1d           Stakes minimal money as I deal crookedly (8)
To get this fence made of stakes start with the abbreviation for the smallest amount of UK currency and then add an anagram (crookedly) of AS I DEAL

5d           Golf club, English, used in major events — they don’t get closing rounds (4,10)
Put a golf club in Kent and E(nglish) inside some major events, some of which are held at this location, to get some edible rounds (that are not closed!) – minor grumble in that the wordplay element is not the golf club but where the club is situated

9d           Given excessive weight, very large map he stupidly put inside (14)
This verb meaning given excessive weight in speaking or writing is derived by putting a word meaning very large around (put inside) an anagram (stupidly) of MAP HE

15d         Recipient of post and I, for instance, fight (6,3)
To get this recipient of post or mail put what I is an example of (for instance) over a verb meaning to fight (maybe in an Olympic event!)

16d         Polo, say, in an event I organised (8)
… Marco Polo is cunningly concealed by being the first word in the clue

22d         Indian Mutiny’s leader imprisoned in end (5)
Not a leader of the Indian Mutiny! – this Indian from the south of the country is derived by putting the initial letter (leader) of Mutiny inside (imprisoned in) an end or extremity

If you need further help then please ask and I will see what I can do.

From a contributor to Derek Harrison’s Crossword Message Board:

I know of eight Sunday Telegraph readers (including myself) who have given up buying the Sunday Telegraph because of the disastrous change in the crosswords.

They now seem to plod whereas Nuala Considine’s were always enormous fun and wonderfully challenging.

I suppose there had to be someone who liked the old-style Sunday puzzles, but I have yet to meet one.  What is truly amazing is that this w****r thinks that Virgilius’s puzzles “plod”.  I am not alone in thinking that they are consistently excellent and are “always fun and wonderfully challenging”.

Today it’s Happy Birthday to Neil Armstrong (82)

Posted August 5, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

This for me was one of the best Virgilius puzzles for a while. I thought this was excellent!
    Thanks to him, and to BD for the hints.

Posted August 5, 2012 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

I thought this was excellent too although I’ve had a really long battle with it – at one stage I didn’t think that I was going to win the battle! It took me ages to get going but, eventually, did it. My last two were 24a – my own fault – I had stupidly spelt 9d wrong so had an “S” as the third to last letter – and 20d. 16d took ages – thought of cars, mints AND the game … ! :roll: 1a was another one as, again rather stupidly, I don’t think of New York as a town with a harbour. I don’t really understand 17a or 2d.
    Lots of great clues – 11 and 26a and 2 (for ages could only think of yesterday’s NTSPP setter) and 19d. Best of all, for me, 14a.
    With thanks to Virgilius and BD.

• Brian
      Posted August 5, 2012 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

Don’t fully understand 2d either but 17a is clever. The whole means what a football ref does when a player is fouled and it is made up of a word for strike, a three letter word for cut or chop as in wood and the flower of sotland.

Posted August 5, 2012 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

Thanks Brian – now can watch the tennis without that buzzing round in my head!

• Posted August 5, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

2d Leading teacher’s original advance (9)
      This is a double definition the second one being the original amount advanced for a loan.

Posted August 5, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

Thanks BD – I should have looked it up!

Posted August 5, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

Super puzzle, everything you need is in the clue. Really enjoyed it. Must admit I never realised that 12a meant profane so learnt something today. My thx to Virgilus for an excellent way to pass a rainy hour.

Posted August 5, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

… just an hour?!!

4. spindrift
    Posted August 5, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

Struggling with this one today but will keep persevating…

Posted August 5, 2012 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

That blue moon must be back as I agree with both of Brian’s first two sentences :)

thanks to Virgilius for another super start to Sunday, took me a few moments longer to get onto the wavelength but well worth the effort. Very hard to pick a favourite but I will say the trademark hidden word was exceedingly well hidden this morning. Thanks to BD too.

• Brian
      Posted August 5, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

May be a blue moon but very pleasant to hear nonetheless. :-)
      What’s this about a hidden clue?

• Posted August 5, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

21 across – I’ve added it to the hints.

6. axe
    Posted August 5, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

Very good offering today, my original answer to 14a was wrong, that slowed things down a bit. Enjoyed 5d. Thanks BD and the setter..

7. Roger
    Posted August 5, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

Can I give this six*, please? This has to be one of my all-time favourite corsswords. Having grouched about my inability to solve his/her crosswords in the past, I was delighted to finish this and without any electronic help, to boot. It was not always thus. When I started I thought that it was going to be another ‘down tools’ but I persevered and a few started to drop into place. Then a few more until finally it was all done and with a big big smile.

Favourite clues? 14, 6, 7, 16. But 14 is out and out the very best ! (Where are the smileys?)

24 across threw me because of the non-anglicised Z in 9d

Posted August 5, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

I too was 24a’d by the z in 9d :)

8. Tantalus
    Posted August 5, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

Thanks to all for the hints. And to assist our US contingent with comments about
    a “w****r”: this loosely translates to “schmuck” or “dweeb” but is somewhat more inflammatory.

• Posted August 5, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

Quite how this w****r enjoys clues like this, from ST 2472:

Show a delight in capturing (6)

Show = reveal is OK but does the rest really indicate that the A should be placed inside REVEL (delight) – only in the strange world of Yoda!

• tonyjoe
        Posted August 7, 2012 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

I think it is a bit much to get too hot under the collar about somebody else’s opinion of the standard of a particular crossword. After all everyone is entitled… And here is mine! I used to take the Times on a Sunday simply due to the absoloutely nebulus nature of the crossword set by Nuala C! There are others of like mind that I know but at the end of the day each to their own, my daughter likes the sounds that Little Mix produce, I just think they are worth looking at!!!

• spindrift
      Posted August 5, 2012 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

….or a follower of Onan…

9. spindrift
    Posted August 5, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

West of 9a complete while the east side is still predominantly white…..now to seek out the hidden word…that is if I haven’t already solved that clue & not realised it was a hidden word….my ears are starting to bleed & even my bum’s got a headache..can’t solve crosswords & watch the Olympics at the same time…

• Posted August 5, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

Your alias has degenerated into an “s”!

I have amended this and your previous comment.

10. Mike in Amble
    Posted August 5, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

Worked long and hard with this but a really enjoyable puzzle. Thanks setter and BD.

11. NJM
    Posted August 5, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

One or two LOL moments e.g. when the penny dropped on 14a. Stuck for ages on 24a (last in), having not only put an S where the Z goes, but having the wrong answer for 20d too!

Thanks to Virgilus for an excellent puzzle and for the other comments without which I would probably not have finished.

12. spindrift
    Posted August 5, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

By ‘eck! Thar was a bit of a bugger for a Sunday but a belter nevertheless. I would never have finished this without the help of BD,Seiko & Chambers crossword dictionary. Many thanks to BD & to Virgilius

13. Tantalus
    Posted August 5, 2012 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

5d – tempted to ask the setter to take a two shot penalty for the proximity to the iron. But enjoyed the clues, off to tennis in the Boston sun.

14. Hrothgar
    Posted August 5, 2012 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

This was an absolutely brillant puzzle.
    Such clever clues eg 2d and 5d and, say, the construction of 17a.
    At first run-through I got two!
    But I persavated unaided and feel chuffed I finished it.
    Thanks Virgillius and BD.

Posted August 5, 2012 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Virgilius & to Big Dave for the hints. Superb puzzle, most enjoyable. Started with 1a, finished with 26a. Favourite was 14a. Monsoon this morning in Central London :-)

Posted August 5, 2012 at 9:02 pm | Permalink

Monsoon almost all day, on and off, in Oxford – torrential rain, hail, thunder and frightening! Over half an inch of wet of some kind since this morning. It has at least allowed me to watch the tennis with a clear conscience as doing anything in the garden was just not an option.

Posted August 5, 2012 at 9:07 pm | Permalink

it’s only just occurred to me that it’s odd that several of us were 24 acrossed by having an “S” instead of a “Z” as the last but two letters of 9d. None of us would have spelt “having excessive weight” – the first four and last five letters of 9d – any way but with a “Z”. Hope that I’m not heading for the naughty corner – I’m just not going – would drown on my way there unless I had a snorkel!!

Still not a peep out of Mary – do hope that all is OK with her.

17. Derek
    Posted August 5, 2012 at 9:11 pm | Permalink

We had a very enjoyable day out to Celle where we had a gastronomic lunch followed by a 3 – hour return trip through the massif des Maures to home.
    Started the puzzle in the evening and thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Aside from the four 14-letter jobs I liked 23a, 25a, 16d & 22d.

Back to NL on Wednesday.

18. gnomethang
    Posted August 5, 2012 at 10:01 pm | Permalink

Lovely puzzle – over a bit quick but reviewing it a bit later on there was much to admire. Thanks to Virgilius and to BD.

19. mary
    Posted August 5, 2012 at 10:17 pm | Permalink

Hi Dave thought this was really tricky today didn’t do it til this evening but managed withou-t the blog hints thanks took me ages to work some of tem out though, I,ll only be back and for briefly for the time being, not very well, hopefully it wont be too long before i’m back to normal, carry onperservqting and enjoying everyone :-)

Posted August 6, 2012 at 10:39 am | Permalink

I only began to try the Sunday puzzle a few weeks ago and found it very difficult to get started. However, I have discovered that once I get a few answers in, with persistence ! the rest start to follow and the whole puzzle becomes an enjoyable experience.

Many thanks to the setter – I will keep on trying – and to BD for all your hard work.