Prize Puzzle – August 2012

Monthly Prize Puzzle No 3 (August 2012) by Prolixic

In association with Hamlyn Books,
the publishers of Telegraph Crossword Books

+ – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – +

Why not have a go at our third Monthly Prize Puzzle? The winner will be able to choose any two of The Telegraph All New Cryptic Crosswords Books or The Telegraph All New Toughie Crossword Books published by Hamlyn, and will also receive a bonus book donated by Tilsit.

A review will follow after the closing date (18th August 2012).

MPP - 03

The puzzle is available by clicking on the above grid.

I’ve left this post open for comments, but if you don’t want your comment to be deleted then avoid asking for or giving help with the clues.

1. pommers
    Posted August 4, 2012 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

Splendid stuff, really enjoyed it! Thanks Prolixic.

2. Dickiedot
    Posted August 4, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

Enjoyable, Many thanks Prolixic

Posted August 4, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

What is the rating of these monthly prize puzzles. So far I have managed 3 answers in two puzzles, worse than I usually do for the Toughie. Are these designed for experts only?

• Posted August 4, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

Brian – the key word is Prize. They are meant to be hard. You may have been spoilt by the way the Telegraph is more interested in securing as many entries as possible rather than setting a real challenge. But then I don;t need to build up a marketing list that I can sell on.

• Brian
        Posted August 4, 2012 at 7:45 pm | Permalink

Think I’ll stick to the back page, I find them difficult enough, this level just makes my brain hurt. Most of the clues are just a complete mystery.

• andy
          Posted August 4, 2012 at 8:21 pm | Permalink

don’t please Brian, the mystery will unfurl, and we all have d’oh moments

• andy
      Posted August 4, 2012 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

Hi Brian, I’ve perservated and got there eventually and I most certainly do not put myself in the category “expert”, that will be some years yet!

Posted August 4, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

Brian,
    I’ve just finished it so, no, absolutely NOT designed for experts only! I have to say that it’s taken me ages, nearly “done my head in” and I STILL have a few answers that I can’t explain. In my opinion the bottom half is much easier than the top and the top left corner is the trickiest bit of all. Keep going, and good luck!

5. axe
    Posted August 4, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

I agree with Kath. The Monthly’s may be harder than the normal back pager, but, I am by far from being an expert and have also managed to complete. Looking forward to the review especially for 6d.
    Persevere it’s well worth it.

Posted August 4, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

I wasn’t intending to provide an illustration for 6d :D

Posted August 4, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

6d was one of my favourites. I’ve got four problems – reasonably sure that they’re right but can’t quite work them out properly.

Posted August 4, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

You do have nearly a fortnight to work them out :D

Posted August 4, 2012 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

The trouble is that by the time the review is done I will have forgotten about it, and probably the sheet of paper will have ended up at the bottom of one of the numerous piles of “stuff” on our kitchen table. Doesn’t matter – I’ve enjoyed doing it very much. I think today’s NTSPP is far more difficult.

6. Pilot mvj
    Posted August 6, 2012 at 11:49 pm | Permalink

I searched the ST for the prize crossword. I now know where it is doh! I think I should try reading the instructions! Will try it out when I have time.

7. Denis Donohue
    Posted August 8, 2012 at 9:12 am | Permalink

A most enjoyable puzzle. My favourite clues 6d & 13a.
    Thanks to setter and BD.