Hints and tips by Gazza

BD Rating – Difficulty **/***Enjoyment ***

Good morning from a storm-racked Devon. This is my first blog this month and I’m returning to duty with a Giovanni puzzle which has a mixture of pretty easy clues with a few trickier ones thrown in. Let me know how you got on and how you liked it.
If you want to see an answer just highlight the space between the brackets under the clue – further information for users with mobile devices can be found in the FAQ.

Across Clues

1a  Something bag-like carried by soldiers and pillagers (10)
{RANSACKERS} – the ‘something bag-like’ that has to be inserted (carried) is a 3-letter word rather than the 4-letter word which it appears to be on first sight. What it’s inserted in can be either private soldiers or commissioned officers who have risen from being privates.

9a  Like some American spellings unacceptable to snooty English? (3-1)
{NON-U} – double definition – color, honor or favor, for example and how snooty people in this country may refer to unacceptable (to them) behaviour.

10a  A crime is no different in a Pacific location (10)
{MICRONESIA} – an anagram (different) of A CRIME IS NO gives us a region in the Pacific consisting of a large number of islands.

11a  Curved edge in the auditorium’s barrier (6)
{GROYNE} – this is a barrier built out into the sea to check erosion. It sounds like (in the auditorium) an architectural term for a curved edge formed by two intersecting vaults (or more commonly a sensitive area of the human body).

12a  Town providing overnight resting place for daughter (7)
{BEDFORD} – this is a town north of London. It’s a charade of where you rest overnight, FOR (from the clue) and D(aughter).

15a  Fastened like dog in hut by meadow (7)
{LEASHED} – the definition is fastened like dog. A hut follows (by) a meadow.

16a  Style said to suit this big house (5)
{MANOR} – this large country house sounds like (said) a style or method.

17a  Smart material in which article is wrapped (4)
{NEAT} – an adjective meaning smart or tidy comes from inserting (wrapped) an indefinite article in open-meshed material.

18a  Overwhelmed by evil, I’m powerless, lacking backbone (4)
{LIMP} – hidden (overwhelmed by) in the clue is an adjective meaning lacking backbone.

19a  Enjoy that number! (5)
{DIGIT} – if you split this number as (3,2) it’s an informal phrase meaning to enjoy something.

21a  Maiden getting on and regarded as rich (7)
{MONEYED} – the abbreviation for a maiden over in cricket is followed by ON (from the clue) and a past participle meaning regarded or watched.

22a  Church member meeting the Queen is a smoothie (7)
{CHARMER} – string together an abbreviation for church, a bodily member and the letters that identify our Queen to make a smoothie (the suave gent rather than the drink).

24a  Overcharges for plants (6)
{RUSHES} – double definition, the first an informal verb meaning overcharges and the second plants that grow in wet areas.

27a  Edit a clue that’s tricky to get word finally made clear (10)
{ELUCIDATED} – an anagram (that’s tricky) of EDIT A CLUE is followed by the final letter of (wor)D.

28a  Love I had for penning verse? (4)
{OVID} – this is an all-in-one clue (i.e. the whole clue is the definition) leading to the name of a Roman poet. The letter that looks like zero or love (in tennis) and the contracted form of ‘l had’ contain (penning) V(erse).

29a  Records attempts to produce artistic works (10)
{TAPESTRIES} – outdated media for holding records are followed by a synonym of attempts. The result is artistic works.

Down Clues

2d  A group of coppers becoming sour (4)
{ACID} – A is followed by a police department (group of coppers).

3d  Untidy person getting right into scrape (6)
{SCRUFF} – insert R(ight) in a verb to scrape (your shoe against something, for example) to make an untidy person.

4d  Trick class to do as told (7)
{CONFORM} – a verb (or it could be a noun) meaning trick or hoax is followed by a class of schoolchildren.

5d  What’s the point of feasting? (4)
{EAST} – hidden (of) in the clue is a point of the compass.

6d  Walk cockily having got grand in second bet (7)
{SWAGGER} – insert (having got) G(rand) in S(econd) and a bet to make a verb to walk cockily.

7d  Imply ethos is wrong with this sort of belief (10)
{POLYTHEISM} – belief in multiple gods is an anagram (wrong) of IMPLY ETHOS.

8d  Fantastic prudes, pure characters being disturbed (5-5)
{SUPER-DUPER} – an informal description of something fantastic or marvellous comes from an anagram (characters being disturbed) of PRUDES PURE.

12d  Tissue — one bit in the middle of supermarket is put into cart (4,6)

{BONE MARROW} – this is the soft tissue in the hollow parts of bones. Insert ONE and the middle letter (bit) of supermarket in a handcart.

13d  A sting? I, doc may be trying to analyse what’s wrong (10)
{DIAGNOSTIC} – an anagram (may be) of A STING I DOC produces an adjective meaning useful in attempting to identify what’s wrong.

14d  Artist beginning to draw, as keen as mustard (5)
{DAVID} – this is Jacques-Louis, the French artist who became actively involved in the Revolution. The first (beginning) letter of D(raw) is followed by an adjective meaning as keen as mustard.

15d  Mathematical power one gets with cold reason (5)
{LOGIC} – the definition here is reason or good sense. Start with the abbreviated form of the power to which a number must be raised to produce another number (this was a method of simplifying (?) multiplication and division in pre-calculator days but as I remember you had to carry around a great book of tables to be able to do it). Add I (one) and C(old).

19d  Make off having eaten second sweet (7)
{DESSERT} – a verb to make off or go AWOL has (having eaten) S(econd) inserted to make a sweet.

20d  No place for driver to hang about — it’s hell! (3,4)
{THE PITS} – double definition – the place on a racetrack where the mechanics are even faster at changing tyres than a Kwik-fit fitter and the lowest depths of hell.

23d  Mend material needing to be on display (6)
{REPAIR} – a verb to mend is a type of corded cloth (material) followed by (needing to be on, in a down clue) a verb to display or make public.

25d  When crisis has to be dealt with, you’ll want to get over it (4)
{HUMP} – cryptic definition of the most difficult part of something which it’s good to get over.

26d  Got the pip, we hear? Give up! (4)
{CEDE} – a verb to give up which sounds like (we hear) a pip or stone.

The clues I liked best today were 9a, 13d and 20d. How about you?

Today’s Quickie Pun: {FORCED} + {HAULED} = {FORESTALLED}

1. pommers
    Posted June 8, 2012 at 11:12 am | Permalink

A fine start to a Friday! Quite enjoyed this and finished in 2* time except for 1a (last in) where it took ages for the penny to drop. Eventually guessed the answer from the checkers but then couldn’t see past the 4 letter bag until the light suddenly dawned!

Agree with your favourites Gazza (especially 20d of course :grin: ) and reckon 15d is worth a mention in despatches as well.

Thanks to Giovanni and Gazza.

Now back to the Toughie which is putting up a fair old fight!

2. mary
    Posted June 8, 2012 at 11:18 am | Permalink

Oh no after just writing in my comments I was told to enter my name and email again! Now I have to start again!
    Good morning Gazza from a wild, wet West Wales, after having a beautiful week in Exmouth we are now sharing the same weather again!!!
    Fav clues today 5d and 19a, a three star for me today doable with help from my ‘friends’ and perservation but not as enjoyable as yesterday
    Never heard of 14d or 28a – this is one of those all in ones that just doesn’t work for me!
    In 24a I have never heard of to rush meaning to overcharge
    Although I didn’t need the blog to finish I did need some explainations especially 1a so thank you once again Gazza :-)

• Brian
      Posted June 8, 2012 at 11:41 am | Permalink

Mary this new site can be a bit flaky as you describe so I have taken to copying my comments before posting so if it goes down you can just do a paste.
      Glad you enjoyed my nemesis yesterday, I failed to get a single clue, found it as always totally impenetrable.

• mary
        Posted June 8, 2012 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Thanks Brian I’ll remember that, as for yesterdays puzzle, I’m usually with you as far as RayT goes, you either lover him or not, however for some strange reason I seemed to be on his wavelength yesterday and really enjoyed it, a one off I’m sure, keep perservating though, one thing I don’t do (except if I try a toughie) is give up, persistant perservation, that’s the thing :-)
        Ive been doing cryptics for three years now and still haven’t finished more than about half a dozen without my books and electronic friends!

• Brian
          Posted June 8, 2012 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

You really are an inspiration to me :-)
          I will of course take your advice and I do go through the answers, just usually think “how on earth can I make that connection” he is the only setter whose wavelength I simple cannot get on.

• mary
            Posted June 8, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

I used to dread Fridays more, Giovanni puzzles struck terror in my mind when I first started, now I find I look forward to them (usually)
            Of course I don’t know if I’ve ever told anyone ;-) , Rufus on a Monday is by far my favourite and it was one of his puzzles that was my first ‘unaided solve’ – ok ok I may have mentioned it once or twice………..

• Lea
              Posted June 8, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

No Mary I don’t think you have told anyone that Rufus is your favourite!!!!! Mine is Giovanni and always has been. Strange isn’t it – I find I have more difficulty getting on Rufus’ wave length than Giovanni’s. It’s what has always been said – what suits one person doesn’t suit another and that goes for all kinds of things.

• mary
                Posted June 8, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

Well I’m glad I put it in today then Lea now everyone knows :-D

3. mary
    Posted June 8, 2012 at 11:21 am | Permalink

Apart from Nigel Havers illustrations a bit dull today Gazza? :-D

• Posted June 8, 2012 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

Glad to hear that I am not the only one in the sub 10 unaided bracket. I’m about 5 years in now and can normally get to within 2 or 3 away without help. Today I got about half way before cracking but then with help getting 1a, the rest dropped in apart from a few which I had never heard of.
      Chamonix is in the cloud line today so am just looking to see if there is any sunshine within a couple of hours before throwing a mattress in the back of the van! Maybe Genoa for some anti pasti and chianti :-)

4. nubian
    Posted June 8, 2012 at 11:24 am | Permalink

Didn’t like 11a, I thought it a lazy clue. One of those you either know or don’t. I’m still trying to work out the justification in the clue to help me get the answer. A bit convoluted, I don’t envy Gazza trying to explain it. Other than that a fine crossword with usual Friday quality.
    Thanks to G and G

5. Colmce
    Posted June 8, 2012 at 11:30 am | Permalink

I do enjoy Giovanni puzzles.

A workmanlike trek through with no electric helpers, 12d , 18a held me up for a while, 1a thanks for explanation, so much better than my convoluted justification .
    Thanks to setter.

6. Collywobbles
    Posted June 8, 2012 at 11:33 am | Permalink

Gazza, I didn’t really understand 1a. Could you explain it a little further

Posted June 8, 2012 at 11:38 am | Permalink

Something bag-like is SAC. Insert this (carried by) in RANKERS (soldiers).

• Collywobbles
        Posted June 8, 2012 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

It was ‘rankers’ which threw me. I’d never heard of the word. Many thanks

• nubian
      Posted June 8, 2012 at 11:39 am | Permalink

It’s what you would hear a Frenchman call a bag inside a load of young soldiers

Posted June 8, 2012 at 11:37 am | Permalink

Usual brilliant Friday offering. Got a bit confused about 11a but the checking letters gave the answer. Loved 8d, 12d and best of all for me was 20d, lovely stuff!
    After yesterday’s disaster this was a very enjoyable outing for me. Many thx to all concerned.

8. Lea
    Posted June 8, 2012 at 11:45 am | Permalink

Well I enjoyed it – can’t remember the numbers of the ones I liked best as did it on line and forgot to mark them down but the one that stuck in my mind was the “no place for driver” one.

Thanks to G & G – an enjoyable Friday.

9. Posted June 8, 2012 at 11:47 am | Permalink

Struggled with 11a – I don’t like homophone clues and this has done nothing to change my mind. Apart from that enjoyed today’s offering. Many Thanks.

10. Arthur Dent
    Posted June 8, 2012 at 11:49 am | Permalink

I have been waiting with baited breath for the hints today. Much needed I’m afraid.
    Strangely however, in many cases I had the right answer – I just didn’t know why (1a and 28a being cases in point). I even had 27a but had not spotted the anagram so I could not work out whether it was right.
    A mistake with 22a (I had “climber” – C(hurch) + LIMB + ER) held me up and (once again!) I failed to spot the hidden word indicator for 18a, with the checkers I guessed (wrongly) WIMP (lacking backbone!)

Not as much fun as yesterday but enjoyable nevertheless. Thanks to setter and to Gazza (not much opportunity for gratuitous visual entertainment today – but I think you missed a trick with the moneyed maiden of 21a!).

Posted June 8, 2012 at 11:54 am | Permalink

Have you played the youtube clip?

11. Captain Lethargy
    Posted June 8, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

Thought this fairly straightforward. Not as enjoyable as yesterday, but still fun. My fave was 15d.
    Thanks to Giovanni and Gazza.

12. bifield
    Posted June 8, 2012 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

Wild & windy here in Bristol but apparently less windy than Cornwall where we have just left. quite enjoyable but needed the hints for some explanations. 3* for me today. Thanks to compiler & to Gazza for the explanations.

Posted June 8, 2012 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

I’d say 2* difficulty and 3* fun and the same favourites as gazza (what’s new there? :) )

The Toughie is what I call the ‘right sort of Toughie’ – you have to work but the penny dropping moments are worth all the effort.

• mary
      Posted June 8, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

You seem to be totally on Gazzas wavelength as far as favourite clues go sue, maybe you share the same star sign?

Posted June 8, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

Probably all the years we have spent solving hundreds if not thousands of cryptics.

• mary
          Posted June 8, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

I’m never going to catch up with you, as usual I start everything too late :-(

• Lea
            Posted June 8, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

But look how well you are doing AND you enjoy them and we all enjoy your comments.

• mary
              Posted June 8, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

14. Lea
    Posted June 8, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

Gaz.za – I have just read your review for 15d. I seem to remember having to carry those log books and they used to fall out of hands easily when going down stairs so they got to where you were going before you did. We weren’t allowed book bags and had to carry our books from class to class. We moved – the teachers stayed put. Long time ago. Don’t think any of the kids of today would know how to do maths the way we did!!!

• mary
      Posted June 8, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

Such fun as I remember Lea! I hated school from the age of 2! right up until sixth form, I enjpyed that, I liked all Maths except mental arithmetic as it was called then and ‘problems’ !

• Lea
        Posted June 8, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

I was the opposite – had a super time at school. Only problem was that every two/three years I was at a new school – making new friends etc. as my father was in the forces.

15. BigBoab
    Posted June 8, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Giovanni for an enjoyable puzzle, not one of his more difficult offerings, thanks also to Gazza for the usual immaculate review.

16. Spotted-jaguar
    Posted June 8, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

Quite a good puzzle today and I agree, not as good as yesterday’s. Got stuck on 12 across because I had rabid in 14 down rather than the correct answer.

Posted June 8, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

Your comment needed moderation because you’ve changed your alias – both aliases should now work.

Posted June 8, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

I quite enjoyed today’s crossword – got a bit stuck on a few. I needed the hints for 12 and 25d and to explain 1a.
    I liked 9, 10 and 22a and 20d.
    With thanks to Giovanni and Gazza.
    Wet, windy and cold in Oxford too – 12C and it’s June! The garden is flattened and very long haired collie is permanently wet. :sad:

Posted June 8, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

Nothing worse than a damp dog!

Think we might be brewing for a thunderstorm this afternoon. Hot and very sticky with some rather theatening cloud building over the mountains!

• andy
        Posted June 8, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

How about three damp dogs!

Posted June 8, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

No thank you! The mind boggles :grin:

Posted June 8, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

Who needs Facebook and Twitter when we’ve got BigDave?

Posted June 8, 2012 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

Sorry – my fault! :oops:

Posted June 8, 2012 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

I wasn’t complaining about it, rather enjoying it.

Posted June 8, 2012 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

Oh good – that’s OK then! Thought you sounded a bit cross!

Posted June 8, 2012 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

I don’t use Facebook anymore and have never Tweeted in my life! This place is far more fun, and if you’ve nothing better to say, you can always discuss the crossword :lol:

• Arthur Dent
      Posted June 8, 2012 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

Well I’m lucky to be alive. I just dropped my wife off, turned the car round, drove 300yds back down the road I had just come; to find an enormous tree lying across the road. It destroyed the walls of the gardens on both sides of the road and narrowly missed a parked car. Fortunately nobody was hurt – but if we had been just one minute later…

Rain lashing down, gale bowing, heating on full blast.
      Summer eh?

As for Pommers and his air conditioning and hot tub woes… He’s learned to duck e-punches so e-kick on its way…

Posted June 8, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

Ouch, won’t mention the weather again, well, not much anyway :grin: Remind me again, why do I live in Spain?

Posted June 8, 2012 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

Poor you (well, actually, lucky you I suppose) but very scary – don’t ask me who but someone must be looking after you and your wife.

• andy
        Posted June 8, 2012 at 10:41 pm | Permalink

eek, glad you are safe Arthur and obviously your wife too, in Cambridgeshire it’s relented, just

Posted June 8, 2012 at 10:54 pm | Permalink

Phew, sounds nasty – there but for the Grace of God etc!

18. Bionic Woman
    Posted June 8, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

Pleasant puzzle which I solved with a little bit of help from Gazza (thanks!).

Don’t like clue/ answer to 25d – weak IMHO. I would’ve thought something around camels would have been better.

House nearly blown away here with the wind coming straight up the Bristol Channel oo err missus. Laburnham tree at a gentle lean of 30 degrees now. It wasn’t like that last night…..

19. Silveroak
    Posted June 8, 2012 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

The DT must have corrected a strange problem I had when this xword was first published just after midnight. I had the correct answer to 6d but it wouldn’t accept it. I had to use a “t” instead of a”w” which I knew couldn’t be right but what could I do. Since no-one is mentioning it, I assume it was put right.

Posted June 8, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

It was put right about 8.30.

• Silveroak
        Posted June 9, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

Thanks, sometimes I think I am losing my mind.

20. spindrift
    Posted June 8, 2012 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

Totally unconnected to this puzzle so I’m sorry for the intrusion into today’s blog but does anybody know if a “piano bar” is a cocktail?

Posted June 8, 2012 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

If it is I’ve never heard of it.

Posted June 8, 2012 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

If you haven’t heard of it then it probably isn’t! :smile:

Posted June 8, 2012 at 5:06 pm | Permalink

Kath! What are you trying to say? :lol:

Posted June 8, 2012 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

… just that you always seem so knowledgable …………….. :grin:

Posted June 8, 2012 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

Ah! Well thanks for that vote of confidence, even if misplaced! It had occurred to me that when we go the the quiz, if we find a round is on ‘food and drink’ then pommette always thinks we’re in with a chance of winning as she thinks I’m a P*** Artist and will always get the ‘drink’ questions right! Cruel, I think, but probably accurate :grin:

Posted June 8, 2012 at 9:42 pm | Permalink

You sound just like my elder daughter – a **** artist if ever there was one!

Posted June 8, 2012 at 9:47 pm | Permalink

Takes one to know one :grin:

My sister’s a bit the same but brother-in-law is TT so we always have a driver when we go to visit Cornwall :grin:

Posted June 8, 2012 at 5:57 pm | Permalink

It is an establishment where you can drink a cocktail while someone plays the piano.

Posted June 8, 2012 at 6:37 pm | Permalink

Ah – Billy Joel “Piano Man”?

• Franco
          Posted June 8, 2012 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

Piano Man – My favourite – Great Song – Great Lyrics!!

There’s an old man sitting next to me
          Makin’ love to his tonic and gin

Posted June 8, 2012 at 8:27 pm | Permalink

Brill :grin: Lpve Billy Joel!

Posted June 8, 2012 at 9:49 pm | Permalink

Franco and pommers – don’t start me off on Billy Joel – what a star – so much stuff that you know but don’t even know that it’s him. There was the most AMAZING live concert, I think from Wembley in the early/mid 80’s, – we recorded it – eldest daughter lent the tape to a boyfriend and we never saw it again. It was wonderful – as I write this husband is trying to find it …..

Posted June 8, 2012 at 10:39 pm | Permalink

We have 3 of his cd’s – The Stranger, Piano Man and 52nd Street – love ‘em all!

Posted June 8, 2012 at 10:23 pm | Permalink

I think my favourite is “Scenes from an Italian Restaurant” … but I love them all!

• Franco
              Posted June 8, 2012 at 10:31 pm | Permalink

Never heard of it! :grin:

Billy Who..??

• Franco
                Posted June 8, 2012 at 10:35 pm | Permalink

My God! He looks so young!

Posted June 8, 2012 at 10:40 pm | Permalink

Bit like a policeman then – the last one that got me for speeding looked about 12 :smile:

• spindrift
                    Posted June 9, 2012 at 9:52 am | Permalink

Crikey! I only asked if it was a cocktail & look what it started!

Posted June 8, 2012 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

Just watched gazza’s youtube clip! :roll: Where DOES he find them! I’m sure this wasn’t quite what Giovanni had in mind!! :smile:

Posted June 8, 2012 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the two G’s, I really enjoyed this one, nice surface readings. Started with 2d, finished with 28a. Favourite I’d, just finished in time for Euro 2012!

23. Collywobbles
    Posted June 8, 2012 at 8:18 pm | Permalink

Lovely puzzle. Done throughout the day because of interuptions. Thanks to Giovanni for an interesting crossword and, of course, Gazza for the hints to which I referred from time to time.

Sunny here today in the Landuoc. Sorry about the weather in Blighty

24. Little Dave
    Posted June 8, 2012 at 9:17 pm | Permalink

Came to this rather late today – missed 12d and my favourite was 12a.

25. pommers
    Posted June 8, 2012 at 11:03 pm | Permalink

You can tell that pommette’s away. Nothing to keep me occupied (apart from her list but that’s nearly all done)!

Spent today watching tennis,and some stuff about the TT motorbike races on ITV4 (petrol head!) and have nothing else to do in the advert breaks apart from have a quick look in here! Sad perhaps, but true!

Going to bed now – but i’ll be back :grin: