DT 26882 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 26882 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Crossword Club

Don’t forget to have a go at our very own, brand new, Prize crossword.

1a           Hurry to serve up set point (4,2,2)
This phrase meaning to hurry comes from an anagram (serve up) of SET POINT

11a         Money box that takes the biscuit? (5,3)
A charade of a slang word for money and a box gives somewhere you could keep biscuits but ours has loaves!

16a         In time, Diana’s message… it’s impossible to destroy (12)
A charade of the IN from the clue, a period of time (3),the abbreviation of DI(ana) and an outmoded form of message gives an adjective meaning impossible to destroy

26a         Rejected everywhere broadcasted (5,3)
This phrasal verb meaning rejected or jettisoned sounds like (broadcasted) a synonym of everywhere (10)

2d           Plan article on Circle Line (6)
This plan or hypothesis comes from a charade of the definite article, the letter shaped like a circle and the abbreviation of a line or track for trains

6d           Gentleman getting up in the afternoon — the object’s transparent! (5)
Reverse (getting up) the title given to a gentleman inside the two-letter abbreviation for the afternoon to get a transparent solid piece  of glass for resolving light into separate colours

13d         Quickly getting beside river first (9)
To get this adverb meaning quickly or immediately a preposition meaning beside (4) is preceded by a Scottish river – the one near where BigBoab lives!

14d         All raise a glass here (not you, Private!) (6,3)
A cryptic definition of the part of a drinking establishment that is open to everyone

22d         Sign one’s car has broken down (2,3)
A cryptic definition of the sign seen on the back of a car that is being pulled by another

The Crossword Club is now open.  Feel free to leave comments.

The Quick crossword pun: {dime} + {Anjou} + {Burghley} = {Diamond Jubilee}

Posted June 2, 2012 at 11:37 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter & to Big Dave for the hints, really enjoyed this one, lots of good clues. Bit late blogging due to day out at York, managed to avoid the railfest in favour of the local pubs, but saw a flyby of a lancaster, Spitfire , and a Hurricane in formation, amazing. started with 2d, finished with 16a, a new word for me. Favourites were 25a, 14d.

2. Carrie
    Posted June 3, 2012 at 7:49 am | Permalink

Also enjoyed this very much mainly because l managed most of it without recourse to hints and tips and other resources. I got stuck with 3 clues in the SW corner but woke this morning with the answers as l often do. Enjoyed reading the Hints and Tips as always.

3. Phil McNeill
    Posted June 3, 2012 at 10:06 am | Permalink

Hi all

Many apologies for the Giant GK having been inaccessible on the Telegraph Puzzles website yesterday. I have fixed it now.

If you do ever come across a problem on the TP website, I would be very grateful if you could drop me an email: [email protected].

Many apologies again for the problem yesterday.

Phil McNeill
    Telegraph Crossword Editor

4. Arthur Dent
    Posted June 3, 2012 at 10:22 am | Permalink

We had a street party yesterday (Saturday). This meant that I didn’t even get to look at this until late(ish) last night. I managed to do all of the RHS on my own, but needed the hints to get going on the LHS. Like many others I found the SW corner difficult and indeed I have yet to get – 20d.

I can make no sense of 20d It is my very last answer so I have all the checking letters (I’m fairly certain that I have 19a and 25a correct – *think* 23a is right) so I am at a loss. I have a word that fits, that *could* mean “considered to be” but I can’t see where the “moderate danger” comes in.

A little bijou hintette would be much appreciated.

Thanks, as always, to the setter, BD and the wonderful folks of this blog without whom I would have given up and gone back to doing something easier (like bringing about World peace) long ago…

• gnomethang
      Posted June 3, 2012 at 10:32 am | Permalink

You will kick yourself, Arthur. THe definition is the first word and it is hidden IN the last couple of words!

• Arthur Dent
        Posted June 3, 2012 at 11:04 am | Permalink

I seem to be doing a lot of that these days!

D’oh!

Thanks!

5. Posted June 3, 2012 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

I found this one particularly easy but thoroughly enjoyable. Maybe it was the inspiration drawn from being sat by the lake with a snowy mountain backdrop!