DT 26840 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 26840 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Crossword Club

Advance notice – Tilsit is organising a Northern Sloggers & Betters meeting on April 21st in Todmorden, West Yorkshire.

1a           Chap getting on got by (7)
A charade of a chap and an adjective meaning getting on or old gives a verb meaning got by or coped

14a         It preserves official of Parisian park (12)
This colourless poisonous gas, used in solution as a preservative for biological specimens, comes from a charade of an adjective meaning official, the French (Parisian) for “of” and London park

18a         Crew following victims of con’s precision targeting (12)
Put a verb meaning to crew a vessel (3,4) after the victims of confidence tricks to get this precision targeting

28a         Train English cohort with the Queen’s backing (7)
This train following an important person is derived by reversing (backing) a charade of E(nglish), a cohort or group of soldiers and the current Queen’s cypher

1d           Numberless spies remove person in field (3-3)
Drop the 5 or 6 (numberless) from either of the UK’s secret services then add a verb meaning to remove a hat to get a cricket fielder

5d           With hardening of heart, settle accounts — they’re at end of range (9)
Start with a phrase meaning to settle bills and then change the middle letter (heart) from B (black/soft pencil grade) to a harder grade to get the uplands at the end of a range of mountains

7d           Fishes will make attacks swallowing creature as food (8)
These fishes are derived by putting a verb meaning attacks around a creature regarded as food by a predator

16d         Friendly Business Secretary queries his identity? (8)
Split this adjective meaning friendly as (2,1,5) and it could be that Business Secretary Vince queries his identity

19d         Wildfowl to tick off before long time (6)
This wildfowl comes from a charade of a slang verb meaning to tick off and a very long period of time  - if your answer starts with P and you can’t resolve the wordplay then a) your answer is not a wildfowl and b) it’s wrong!

23d         Keep car pulling caravan perhaps (5)
This keep is the one that is the strongest part of a castle and it could also (perhaps) mean a car that is pulling a caravan

24d         Fairy for every one (4)
This fairy is built up from a word meaning “for every” or each and I (one)

The Crossword Club opens at 10:00am.  Feel free to leave comments.

The Quick crossword pun: {Bilk} + {Lynn} + {tun} = {Bill Clinton}

1. moose
    Posted April 14, 2012 at 9:37 am | Permalink

Finished quite quickly today and especially enjoyed 5d, 16d, 14a. I have an answer written in for 10a which I know must be right because everything fits but I cannot reconcile the solution to the clue! Help appreciated.

• Posted April 14, 2012 at 9:48 am | Permalink

It’s simply M(illions) inside an anagram (performing) of RELATION

Posted April 14, 2012 at 9:49 am | Permalink

Just about right for a Saturday. The one I had to think about was 5d. Favourite clue, 10a.
    Thanks to setter, and to BD

3. Hrothgar
    Posted April 14, 2012 at 9:51 am | Permalink

Peezy Eezy but a nice one.
    Took too long to get 14a, silly me.

• Hrothgar
      Posted April 14, 2012 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

…thanks setter and BD, of course.

4. Colmce
    Posted April 14, 2012 at 9:54 am | Permalink

Another one completed this week without electric help save for 24d which I had to google to check definition.
    Thanks to BD for confirming with hints.
    16d,22a favourites. I really am going to have to mug up on cricket terms.
    Scouse Derby this pm, so looking forward to NTSSP to insulate me from the cries of joy or despair which will be ringing around house.

5. moose
    Posted April 14, 2012 at 9:58 am | Permalink

Ta very much BD! Obvious isn’t it, though I was looking for something completely different!

6. upthecreek
    Posted April 14, 2012 at 10:07 am | Permalink

Nice and easy postbag filler today. Some lovely clues, though, of which 13 14 18 and 28 were very good. I wonder what Mary and Kath will make of 1d?

Posted April 14, 2012 at 10:48 am | Permalink

I think we are getting quite good on these now UTC, not liking them though :-)

Posted April 14, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

I agree with Mary, just for a change! :smile:

Posted April 14, 2012 at 10:31 am | Permalink

Ended up easier than at first sight. I too puzzled for ages over the ‘relation’ in 10a, should have seen the anagram indicator, Grrr! Some nice clues today I thought ie 18a and 11a (nice misdirection here).
    Off to organise a Race Night for a local charity, probably a bit brave to hold on Grand National day!

• Brian
      Posted April 14, 2012 at 10:34 am | Permalink

Sorry meant to thank the setter esp for the lovely cricketing clue, I used to find driving through this position one of the most difficult shots in the game, I was very much a leg sided player.

• Caravaggio
      Posted April 14, 2012 at 11:00 am | Permalink

I agree with you, Brian, because I thought that 11a was a wonderful clue. I’m going to disappoint Mary with the following comment because both she and I are Liverpool supporters: I think Everton will win today’s semi-final and I’ll be disappointed [as will Dave] if Spurs don’t beat Chelsea tomorrow.

Posted April 14, 2012 at 11:03 am | Permalink

Hi Cara I agree on the first comment and I am doubly disappointed as the match is only being shown on ESPN! I can’t believe how that has come about, I was so looking forward to it but dont have ESPN! As for tomorrows game I hope Chelsea win (sorry Dave) as one of my grandsons supports them and we don’t have any Spurs followers in our family

• Caravaggio
          Posted April 14, 2012 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

Well I’m delighted to have got that prediction wrong! In the circumstances, I won’t give you any tips for the Grand National…

Posted April 14, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

Me too Cara, great result , I have three horses for the National
            Black Alapachi
            Always Right
            On His Own

Posted April 14, 2012 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

They all fell!!!

• Caravaggio
                Posted April 14, 2012 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

Did you type that comment with gritted teeth, Mary? By the way, the semi-final highlights are on ITV at 5.30.

Posted April 14, 2012 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

Thanks Cara, I did manage to watch it all on line but will still enjoy the high-lights :-D

Posted April 14, 2012 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

Haven’t watched – can’t bear it! :sad: Do so hope that no horses or riders were hurt.

Posted April 14, 2012 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

Lots of fallers today Kath but I don’t think any serious injuries

• Posted April 14, 2012 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

On the contrary, two were destroyed, including the Gold Cup winner Synchronicity.

Posted April 14, 2012 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

Oh no that’s awful, isn’t Synchronicity the one that ran off in the beginning, that is dreadful, I think he should have been pulled out after his jockey took that fall

Posted April 14, 2012 at 5:23 pm | Permalink

It’s been a family tradition since I was a young child to ‘do the National’ after watching Synchronisity’s escapade today, such a lovely horse, I feel so upset, I don’t think I’ll bother any more :-(

Posted April 14, 2012 at 9:40 pm | Permalink

That’s why I can’t bear it and can’t watch it – you can all call me weedy, a softie or anything else that you want to … :sad: :sad:

• Sheepdog
        Posted April 14, 2012 at 11:29 am | Permalink

A slow start today, but got there thanks to Big Dave.

As a Fulham supporter, I really hope Tottenham beat our neighbours from hell tomorrow.

8. Rod Ash
    Posted April 14, 2012 at 10:59 am | Permalink

hello everyone, I liked todays exercise too.11a, 14a & 18a were my favourites. Not so keen on 25a…are the Telegraph introducing commercial sponships now?

9. Little Dave
    Posted April 14, 2012 at 11:00 am | Permalink

All done my favourite being 1d – I agree Brian! Need a few today in the games at Lord’s. Come on Middlesex.

10. mary
    Posted April 14, 2012 at 11:06 am | Permalink

Hi Dave and thanks for hints, I was one of the ones who got the wrong letter at the start of 19d (how did you know!) A two to three star for me today, a few dodgy readings IMHO eg 3d and 5a, fav clue 16d, so disappointed I cant watch the semi-final today :-(

Posted April 14, 2012 at 11:48 am | Permalink

One of grandsons (liverpool supporter) has just given me an online site to watch it on, myp2p, for anyone who may be interested, here’s hoping it works :-D

• Posted April 14, 2012 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

Works for me Mary! Try again!

Posted April 14, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

yes working now thanks Dave picture only 8 x 6 ins but better than nothing

Posted April 14, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

yaye, got full screen now advert was hiding arrows!

Posted April 14, 2012 at 11:43 am | Permalink

An enjoyably very straightforward (1*) crossword, just right for a busy morning. Thanks to setter and BD.

12. Edward Bear
    Posted April 14, 2012 at 11:49 am | Permalink

All done except 20d penny wont drop any hints ?

• Edward Bear
      Posted April 14, 2012 at 11:54 am | Permalink

Oh never mind …. Wrong ending on 22a …… Done now

Posted April 14, 2012 at 11:58 am | Permalink

yes I had the wrong ending at first to EB

13. collywobbles1
    Posted April 14, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

I thought that 14a is very clever.Regretably there is no Rugby ontodat. I don’t know why. Good morning/afternoon all

Posted April 14, 2012 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

good afternoon collywobs, I am still trying to find a site to watch the Liverpool Everton Semi! myp2p isn’t working for me

• collywobbles1
        Posted April 14, 2012 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

Hi Mary, It’s not on Sky so I think that youv’e had it

Posted April 14, 2012 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

I have got it now collywobs on my computer myp2p is working but we are 1 nil down right now!!

Posted April 14, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

one all :-) !

Posted April 14, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

Yeeees 2-1 come on Liverpool :-D

Posted April 14, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

Winners!!! :-D Good luck tomorrow Dave

• Posted April 14, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

Let’s hope that Blue is not the colour!

Posted April 14, 2012 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

Que sera etc. :-)

• Michael
      Posted April 14, 2012 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

Plenty of rugby just watched tigers demolish saints and now harlequins destroying wasps but you need ESPN.

Posted April 14, 2012 at 9:45 pm | Permalink

If I could do the little face that did a yawn I would do so! I can’t, so I’ll just say “Night night all” and see you tomorrow!! :smile:

Posted April 14, 2012 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

I didn’t find this one easy at all and had a real battle with the last few. I’ve finished it now but needed the hints for a couple of explanations – 1d :roll: and 5d. I don’t think that I’ve heard of the first bit of 18a meaning what it does in the clue. My answer to 19d DID begin with a P! I looked up the first three words of the answer (ie the one beginning with a P) and somewhere in all the meanings the BRB said something about “a reproach” so I thought it would do. Favourites
    include 10 and 14a and 15 and 16d – best of all, for me, was 11a.
    Going to have a go at the NTSPP later on – do hope that I get a bit further with today’s than I did with the one last week!

Posted April 14, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

PS – Sorry – manners have deserted me today – thanks to the setter and to BD.

16. njm
    Posted April 14, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Pretty straightforward today, but I struggled with 3d, which was last in for me. I ,too, had the “wrong” solution to 19d! Thanks to BD, who aided my solution to 14a and to the compiler for an enjoyable start to the day.

17. andy
    Posted April 14, 2012 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

no real problems today, liked 11a and 5d. T BD and setter

18. Annidrum
    Posted April 14, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

I enjoyed this today and found it relatively easy.Top left took me the longest but once I got 1d everything else fell into place. Favourite clues were 11a & 14a. Thanks to the setter & BD for setting me right on 19d.

19. collywobbles1
    Posted April 14, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

Could somebody explain to me how I have been able to get 3d

• Posted April 14, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

I don’t know how you got it but I got it by removing the last letter of a word meaning ‘speculated’ and inserting an archaic word for ‘you’

Posted April 14, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

me too gnomey :-)

20. Posted April 14, 2012 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

Enjoyable and not so hard. Thanks to the setter and to BD. Just back from an enjoyable 4&3 win at pairs matchplay golf and looking forward to losing a couple of quid on the National.

• collywobbles1
      Posted April 14, 2012 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

Thanks Gnomey, I got it from the checking letters. I could see how it was achieved. Can you help with 2d, it’s my last one

Posted April 14, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

The name of an airport in NY is a word meaning modern followed by a type of biblical craft.

• collywobbles1
          Posted April 14, 2012 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

Many thanks CS. Finished, a little easy for me, and that’s saying something. 1* for me. Many thanks to setter and BD for the hints

• Tantalus
          Posted April 14, 2012 at 5:50 pm | Permalink

It is actually in New Jersey… but I guess we only know cos we live over here. Even Mrs T spotted the mistake.

• Tantalus
            Posted April 14, 2012 at 5:52 pm | Permalink

is Everton in Manchester?

• Caravaggio
              Posted April 14, 2012 at 6:30 pm | Permalink

I’ve just seen your comment, Tantalus, and Everton are the other Premiership side from Liverpool. As the FA Cup semi-finals are now played at Wembley Stadium in London, there has been a mass exodus from Liverpool today. Tomorrow’s semi-final is being played between Tottenham Hotspur – who BIg Dave supports – and Chelsea, both of whom are London sides and whose supporters don’t have so far to travel…

Posted April 14, 2012 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

a three letter word for modern followed by Noahs boat

• collywobbles1
          Posted April 14, 2012 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

Thanks Mary, how is the football going?

Posted April 14, 2012 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

Liverpool won collywobs so we are in the final. tomorrow Daves team (Spurs) play Chelsea in the other semi
            My three horses fell in the Grand National!!!

• Posted April 14, 2012 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

I had £3.75 on the winner (an odd number to get my PP account to get an even number) so got £162.19 out of the bargain. :D

Posted April 14, 2012 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

OH well done gnomey :-)

Posted April 14, 2012 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

Doesn’t that give you an odd number again??

• Posted April 14, 2012 at 10:27 pm | Permalink

Sorry – that was £3.75 Each Way for a £7.50 bet!.
                  In response – yes but I can lose that! I have already drawn £142.19 back into my bank account ;-)

• Jezza
                Posted April 14, 2012 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

Well done! I had a fiver on Planet of Sound, which led until the 28th fence :(

• Posted April 14, 2012 at 10:31 pm | Permalink

Don’t talk to me about a horse called Jezza! – It won everything early and failed when I backed it! But thanks anyway!

Posted April 14, 2012 at 9:50 pm | Permalink

… yet again, I just hate it! I know that I’m weedy but those poor horses are pushed so hard and have no choice – the jockeys at least know that they are engaging in a dangerous sport, and DO have a choice.

21. Dawn
    Posted April 14, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

After a slow start I have only one left (11a) which eludes me. Am I right in thinking it is an anagram of fifth and sixth words along with two other obvious letters? If first word as form from which shoes are made, I’m still struggling.

Thanks to Big Dave for the hints, they had a significant impact on my progress :D

Posted April 14, 2012 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

Dawn is the definiton. You need the first letter of French followed by an anagram of the fifth and sixth words and then a ‘bit’ (ie the first letter) of teasing.

• Dawn
        Posted April 14, 2012 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

Thank you Crypticsue, I meant to say is the first word the opposite of the form from which shoes are made. I feel super silly now, talk about an own goal – off to the stupid step with a glass of red :oops:

Posted April 14, 2012 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

I hope you don’t get lonely Dawn, nobodys been to the naughty corner for ages now!

Posted April 14, 2012 at 5:32 pm | Permalink

Now if it was white or rose wine I might go there just to keep her company :)

• Dawn
              Posted April 14, 2012 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

I’ve got a lovely Chablis in the fridge and have been waiting for some company to share it with :)

Posted April 14, 2012 at 6:01 pm | Permalink

Mr CS is just making supper or I would come and join you :D I will have to have a look and see what is lurking on the wine rack.

Posted April 14, 2012 at 9:54 pm | Permalink

I’m with you on the red, Dawn! Looks as if it’s only you and me!! :smile: I haven’t been in the naughty corner for a while either!!

22. eileen
    Posted April 14, 2012 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

Sorry but I’m finding this verr tricky today, please any help with 16d and 17d and 18a Thanks so much!”!”!”

Posted April 14, 2012 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

BIg Dave has given a hint for 16d; 17d is an anagram (badly) of scarred with U (Ulm initially) the definition being campaigners who went to the Holy Land. 18a – again Dave has given a hint for this one.

23. eileen
    Posted April 14, 2012 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

No need to bother, had divine inspiration and now have 16 and 17d and 18a. Brain obviously not in gear!”!”!”

Posted April 14, 2012 at 9:58 pm | Permalink

It’s called gnomey’s law! The minute you ask for help and press the “post comment” bit, the answer comes to you! :smile:

24. Michael
    Posted April 14, 2012 at 5:48 pm | Permalink

Managed Tao complete without any help but unsure why I have thebanswer for 24d cannot rationalise answer against clue someone put me ou of my misery

Posted April 14, 2012 at 7:40 pm | Permalink

Hi Michael – welcome to the blog.

BD has given a hint for 24d.

• Michael
        Posted April 14, 2012 at 8:06 pm | Permalink

Thanks Gazza why is it always a doh moment when you see the reasoning!

25. cruisenuts96
    Posted April 14, 2012 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

All done today – except the fairy. Even with Big dave’s help can’t get it!!

Posted April 14, 2012 at 5:59 pm | Permalink

A term meaning so much a head or 50p xxx lb and I(one) This beautiful fairy appears in crosswords on a regular basis so once you have worked her out, make a note.

• Tantalus
        Posted April 14, 2012 at 6:04 pm | Permalink

It is not your usual fairy… a new one for us from some foreign place.

Posted April 14, 2012 at 6:46 pm | Permalink

If I had a pound for every time I have met this fairy in a cryptic crossword …….!

• Senf
          Posted April 14, 2012 at 9:45 pm | Permalink

I agree with CS, definitely an oldie but goodie.