DT 26828 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 26828 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Crossword Club

1a           Dam childishly associated with large beaver perhaps (6)
A childish way of saying mother (dam) is followed by L(arge) to give, for example (perhaps), a beaver

5a           Bid competitively totally in control of clubs (8)
A verb meaning to bid competitively in whist or bridge is created by putting a word meaning totally around (in control of) C(lubs)

23a         Warship to press young man rounding cape (4-4)
You need a word for ‘to press’ as in clothes, followed by a word for a young boy with c(ape) in-between to give you a term for a warship [thanks Mary]

26a         May Trotter get a support? — he famously crashed one of these (10)
A charade of a verb meaning may, the name of Rodney Trotter’s brother, the A from the clue and a female support garment gives this light fitting that famously crashed to the floor (or at least a synonym of it!)

28a         A queen wearing red beads (6)
Put A from the clue and the Latin abbreviation of for Queen inside a word meaning red or reddish to get these beads

2d           Block trouble outside Nevada (5)
This block used by a blacksmith is created by putting some trouble around (outside) the abbreviation of for Nevada

3d           Lisa perhaps, right in fashion like a queen (9)
… that’s the Lisa in the Musée du Louvre in Paris!

14d         Executed heretic from central European country (9)
A verb meaning executed is followed by a person who follows the heretical doctrine that Christ was not consubstantial (qv) with God the Father, but only the first and highest of all finite beings, to get a central European

20d         Outside south-east, be mother superior type (6)
Around (outside) the abbreviation of south-east put a verb meaning to be mother by serving the tea to get a superior type

24d         Clothes-horse more attractive without top (5)
Another name for a clothes-horse is derived by dropping (without top) the initial F from an adjective meaning more attractive

The Crossword Club is now open.  Feel free to leave comments.

The Quick crossword pun: {Kris} + {tougher} + {begins} = {Christopher Biggins}

1. Wayne
    Posted March 31, 2012 at 10:54 am | Permalink

Fairly straightforward affair today. Best clue for me by far was 26a. Had to double check spelling for 28a, as there are several options for the abbreviation for queen. Thanx to the Compiler and to BD as usual.

Posted March 31, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

yes I usually spell it with an ‘a’ but then of course it wouldn’t fit the clue

Posted March 31, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

Oh I see now, it is a and a one letter abbreviation for queen in a word for reddish and not a two letter abbreviation for queen inside a word for reddish! Duh

• Weekend wanda
          Posted April 2, 2012 at 5:26 am | Permalink

I am sure the A is right but could it not be either?

Posted March 31, 2012 at 11:44 am | Permalink

I didn’t find this straightforward at all – a great deal to think about before writing in with this one. I did like 26a and 20d. Thanks to the Saturday Mysteron and BD too.

• collywobbles1
      Posted March 31, 2012 at 11:55 am | Permalink

I am finding it quite difficult. Agree with CS

Posted March 31, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

How you doing collywobs have you finished yet?

• collywobbles1
          Posted March 31, 2012 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

No I bloomin well havn’t but it’s nice to hear from you Mary

Posted March 31, 2012 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

I’ve been here all day where have you been? Got to go now, a cause to promote!!! no flute tooting tonight, we have been banned!! just off to fight the cause, back later :-)

• collywobbles1
              Posted March 31, 2012 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

I’ve been down to the beach with the dogs. Back now and concentrating

Posted March 31, 2012 at 10:00 pm | Permalink

What cause, and why have you been banned from tooting your flute?

Posted April 1, 2012 at 9:26 am | Permalink

Very complicated and upsetting Kath apparently our Parish Priest (of one year) has decided in an underhand manner that “it isn’t his thing” after our group has been performing liturgical music in our Church for over twenty years, he has consistently left us out of various services, when challenged on it, he asserted his ‘rights’ as Parish priest and told us if we didn’t like it we should leave, there is uproar at the moment and yesterday evening I stood outside handing out leaflets with the explanation, so much more to it but too complicated to go into, such a sad time for our music group :-(

• Posted April 1, 2012 at 9:31 am | Permalink

Today’s “Quote of the Day” is pertinent:

Charles Lamb (1775-1834)

“Here cometh April again, and as far as I can see the world hath more fools in it than ever.” :smile:

Posted April 1, 2012 at 9:35 am | Permalink

:-)

• Dawn
                  Posted April 1, 2012 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

Sorry to hear about this Mary, playing muisc in a group has many benefits for the participants and it is sad to hear that one person has potentially destroyed something that is is essentially not doing anyone any harm

Posted April 1, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

That’s really nice of you Dawn, thanks for your support

• Weekend wanda
                  Posted April 2, 2012 at 5:31 am | Permalink

Considering declining congregations it soundsas if this Vicar is beingvery foolish.should not the Bishopintervene?

Posted March 31, 2012 at 11:59 am | Permalink

I am finding this really hard today just over halfway now!!

3. Sheepdog
    Posted March 31, 2012 at 11:57 am | Permalink

Done all but two, a hint for 23a would be very helpful, it’d give me a checking letter for 20d

Posted March 31, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

Hi sheepdog, this is one I have done! you need a word for ‘to press’ as in clothes, followed by a word for a young boy with c in front to give you a term for a warship

Posted March 31, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

not a term I knew!

• dogeatingpike
          Posted March 31, 2012 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

its in the war of the worlds

• Sheepdog
        Posted March 31, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

Hi Mary, thanks very much, I can go and do some much needed gardening now!

Posted March 31, 2012 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

Lucky you I still have a ln way to go on this one, I blame all the interruptions here today! The weather here is back to miserable, grey and cold :-(

Posted March 31, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

Naughty corner for you, Mary!! :smile:

Posted March 31, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

why Kath?

Posted March 31, 2012 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

… because of the “C” – thought that we weren’t supposed to put any of the answer in a hint. Now I’ve done it too so I’ll be joining you there!!

• Posted March 31, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

C(ape) is in the clue!

Posted March 31, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

Damn!! You mean Mary and I can’t go to the naughty corner – now I’ll have to go up the rather chilly garden and do more useful stuff. :sad: Not nice here today.

Posted March 31, 2012 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

sorry Kath no party for us in the naughty corner today at least not yet :-D

Posted March 31, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

There’s still time! :smile:

Posted March 31, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

It is a type of ship – press as in decrease clothes, then the abbreviation for cape (1) and a young boy (3). Then look up your result in the dictionary.

4. Sheepdog
    Posted March 31, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

Wiki has it as one word.

And I didn’t think of ‘be mother’ as in serves tea until I got the checking letter. Thanks

• Sheepdog
      Posted March 31, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

sorry, should have done that as a reply

Posted March 31, 2012 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

I thought ‘mother’ was brilliant

Posted March 31, 2012 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

I don’t even know which clue you’re talking about :-) ?

• Sheepdog
          Posted March 31, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

Sorry, 20d

Posted March 31, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

still don’t see it

• Sheepdog
              Posted March 31, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

the abbrevuation for south-east and what you do when you get the tea out of the pot

• Sheepdog
                Posted March 31, 2012 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

Abbrevuation? Must learn to type!

As you can see procrastination is the thief of doing the gardening

Posted March 31, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

thanks sheepdog, have it now, but its not really a word I knew once again!

5. Posted March 31, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

A much more challenging Saturday puzzle!
    Well done setter. Many nicely-constructed, but fair, clues.
    Particularly enjoyed 1,26,17 and 22

• franco
      Posted March 31, 2012 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

Digby, this week may be your best chance to win the much coveted “DT Fountain Pen”. Just before the price of stamps go up!

Good Luck!

• Posted March 31, 2012 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

I’ll share it with you if I win !!
        Of course, you can always get in a stock of stamps before they go up – they still work.
        Book of 100 currently £34 – next month £50

6. spyndryft
    Posted March 31, 2012 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

Has this leaked through from next week’s Toughies? This is not a “usual” Saturday but will keep me out of mischief while Mrs S visits the Wicked Witch of the North (mother-in-law). Only joking…maybe

7. mary
    Posted March 31, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

Wow, I found this really hard today and can’t say I enjoyed it very much, I needed all the help going to finish it, books, gadgets, hints (thanks Dave) nothing I really liked, except maybe 22d? good luck everyone, perservation definitely the name of the game today, is it worth it? well IMHO it is always good to be able to finish :-D

• Caravaggio
      Posted March 31, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

I totally agree with you, Mary. When I saw Wayne’s comment above, I wondered whether he’d completed the same crossword. I thought the answer to 26a was so contrived it was awful and, factually, the clue was incorrect – it was a chandelier.

Posted March 31, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

You are right of course it was a chandelier :-)

• Posted March 31, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

You are quite right!
        I formally withdraw my accolade for that clue at #5, but I still thought this was a better-than-average Saturday experience.

Posted March 31, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

for me ‘better’ today is worse Digby, not just because it was difficult

• Posted March 31, 2012 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder Mary, or does one taste meat or poison?
            But it is a healthy situation that we can agree to differ.

Posted March 31, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable – thanks to setter, and to BD.

Posted March 31, 2012 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

I’ve finished now – really enjoyed it and found it a huge challenge – definitely anything but straightforward for me. Far too many good and clever clues to write them all down – I’d be here all day and should go and do more stuff in the garden before I reward myself with a look at the NTSPP. Can’t resist putting just a few of my favourites – 11 and 18a and 7 (took me ages – stupid – have seen something like that before) 8, 17 and 20d. With thanks to the setter and Big Dave – and in advance to anyone who can explain my answer to 14d – he certainly is a central European but I don’t understand the first bit of the clue.

Posted March 31, 2012 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

14d executed = the first four letters Kath, the last five if you look up the word are some kind of heretic

Posted March 31, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

Thanks Mary – another “Gnomey” moment there – saw it as soon as I’d pressed send. How didn’t I see it before? :roll:

Posted March 31, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

My old English master would have held his head at the use of the first four letters for executed and would have told us that that word applies only to curtains and pictures!
        That said, I thought that this was an enjoyable puzzle (especially 20d) and a definite improvement.

• Sheepdog
          Posted March 31, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

Ironically, in ‘Why can’t the English?” from My Fair Lady, which is about how badly we speak, ‘Enry ‘Iggins makes that very mistake

• Derek
          Posted March 31, 2012 at 5:50 pm | Permalink

I second that Gazza – I guess that English is not taught as thoroughly nowadays as it was when I was young.
          I finished my secondary education in Scotland and the English teacher berated me soundly for dropping initial aitches as in ‘alifax, ‘ull etc as we would say in Yorkshire.

• Weekend wanda
        Posted April 2, 2012 at 5:42 am | Permalink

I take issue with the verb. I was always taught that the past tense of this verb when used to denote an execution was a six letter word.

• Senf
          Posted April 2, 2012 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

Same here – with an ‘a’ and ending in ‘ed.’ Is there a ‘compiler’s licence,’ similar to poetic licence, which allows the complier to use ‘bad English’?

10. Colmce
    Posted March 31, 2012 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

Phew that was a real tester, completed I think.
    23a a bit iffy, but fun. liked 22d.
    Who says Editors don’t listen, call for science references yesterday, and one pops up today.
    Thanks to the compiler, and to BD.
    As it’s miserable outside, going to tackle the NTSSP while shouting at the wireless (Any Questions).

Posted March 31, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

Much much too tough for me, not a nice Saturday offering at all. Poor show DT!

• Posted March 31, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

It’s a prize crossword Brian – it’s not meant to be easy.

• Brian
        Posted March 31, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

This will be the first one I have fail ed to complete in over a year, normally they are a bit of a challenge but this is something else again.

Posted March 31, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

Some clues today were certainly ‘toughie’ standard IMHO Brian

• Brian
        Posted March 31, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

Quite right, not going to waste any more time over this. I hope the experts enjoy it.

Posted March 31, 2012 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

I’m far from being an expert Brian and have to admit to not enjoying this one today, sometimes a crossword is tough but can still be very enjoyable, each to his or her own, horses for courses maybe? we have come to expect a gentler one than this most Saturdays I think, it is no fun when it takes more than 3 hours and still not completed (speaking personally), although when I started these almost 3 years ago now, it used to take me most of the day off and on and even then I didn’t always finish them, so I should be pleased really, maybe we expect too much of ourselves, after all we are all of different soving abilities :-)

Posted March 31, 2012 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

Brian – I’m not an expert by any stretch of the imagination but I really enjoyed this one. I did think it was difficult but, as BD has already said, it’s not meant to be easy. Just keep trying – get the big long one in the middle which gives you quite a few first letters of other clues. On my first read through today I think I probably only got about four or five answers.

Posted March 31, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

Never mind the crossword, I can’t even understand the hints! 3d and 14d make no sense to me, the hint that is, the crossword clue could be in Chinese!

Posted March 31, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

3d The Lisa we want here is as Dave says the one that hangs in the Louvre, this is followed by a word for ‘in fashion’ 4 letters with ‘r’ from right inside to give a word meaning ‘like a queen’

Posted March 31, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

Sorry the ‘r’ goes before the four letter word for ‘in fashion’ not inside it!

Posted March 31, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

14d as Dave says is a four letter word for executed as on a scaffold, followed by a five letter word for a certain type of heretic, personally I had never heard of this but if you get the first bit you will solve it :-)

• Sheepdog
        Posted March 31, 2012 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

I studied Medieval history (so long ago that it was modern history at the time), I do remember these heretics vaguely, (there were so many different heretics in those days), can’t remember what the doctine they held to upset the Church, I must go and dig out my old notes from the cupboard under the stairs.

Posted March 31, 2012 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

no gardening then?

• Sheepdog
            Posted March 31, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

Maybe tomorrow (or next weekend).

Posted March 31, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

of course :-)

13. franco
    Posted March 31, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Permalink
      Posted March 31, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

with what?

Posted March 31, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

You feeling a bit blue?

14. Emily Marsh
    Posted March 31, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

Struggling with bottom left corner today.
    Any hints for 18, 21, 27a and 17, 22d much appreciated. Also can’t think of anything that would make sense for 11a with the letters I already have in (4).
    Please help!
    Thanks

Posted March 31, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

see 17 below
      18 this is a double definition, in the first ‘fighting’ it would be 2,6, i.e if forces are fighting they are this, in the second meaning sloth it is one word
      21 you need a three letter word for a woolly surface, as on a snooker table, followed by a three letter word for relation, to give you a small cloth often used at the dinner table

Posted March 31, 2012 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

27 an anagram of in Greene – indicated by novel gives you a word for masterminded
        22d how to do this without being sent to naughty corner, just think of what you use to get into your vehicle it sounds exactly like a material with military associations, broadcast is the homophone indicator

Posted March 31, 2012 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

mastermind not masterminded!

Posted March 31, 2012 at 10:07 pm | Permalink

My homonym of 22d will no longer allow me to lock my car – don’t really know why – a real pain in the **** as I suspect that it’s not insured unless it’s locked. Oh dear! :sad: but life is too short to worry unduly about it. :smile:

• Annidrum
      Posted March 31, 2012 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

Hello Emily,
      18…..doing nothing
      21…the smallest piece of clot h you use…well a gent’s is bigger
      27a……is an anagram
      17d needing a hint myself
      22d sounds like what you need to get into a vehicle
      hope that helps

• Annidrum
      Posted March 31, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

My abject apologies Emily, I gave you the wrong hint for 21a and that was why we were stuck on 17d . So sorry!

15. Annidrum
    Posted March 31, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

I agree that this was quite challenging but we (a joint effort today) managed to complete it except for 17d ,which seems to have presented no difficulty for anyone else, but neither one of us can see it. Any hint would be greatly appreciated. I loved 26a although it wasn’t strictly accurate. Being reminded of it gave us a good laugh this morning so thanks to the setter.

Posted March 31, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

Hi Annidrum for 17 you need the chemical symbol for salt inside a type of tree to give you the highest point

• Emily Marsh
        Posted March 31, 2012 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

Great, got this now too! Have also got 18a, had written the wrong letter at the end 3d for some bizarre reason (fuzzy Saturday brain?)!!! Just 21, 22 & 27 to go.

Posted March 31, 2012 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

Well done Emily :-)

• Annidrum
        Posted March 31, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

Oh thanks Mary. D’oh!!

16. mary
    Posted March 31, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

Hi Emily

11a you need a four letter word for ‘make slight’ as in insult, followed by a four letter word for sharp sound which together give you a word for eating noisily

• Emily Marsh
      Posted March 31, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

Got it! Thanks Mary!

17. The Buffer
    Posted March 31, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

Can’t think what all the fuss is about regarding 23a. Pretty well-known naval history, I thought. When it was realised that wooden ships weren’t very good at withstanding impact – with or without explosives – they decided to wrap them in metal; that’s how they got the name. It was some time later they discovered that the vessel would still float if they did away with the timber!

Posted March 31, 2012 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

Thanks for that TB

Posted March 31, 2012 at 10:10 pm | Permalink

I’m sure that it’s easy for anyone with knowledge of naval history but for the rest of us it was quite tricky! Certainly took me a while.

18. The Buffer
    Posted March 31, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

Sorry, forgot my manners. Very enjoyable today although it did take a little longer than usual. Thanks to setter and BD.

19. Emily Marsh
    Posted March 31, 2012 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

Done,,,, a few doh moments on the last answers especially 22d and 21a. Now for a cuppa……

Posted March 31, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

It’s a good feeling when you finish isn’t it :-D

20. Dawn
    Posted March 31, 2012 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

Can someone please explain 9a, I think have an answer but don’t know why. A big thank you to all the comments so far and Mary too. I wouldn’t have got this far without them and still have a fair way to go. Thanks Big Dave for your hints, but I have to say I’m not on the wavelength today.

Posted March 31, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

If you have the right answer you have an expression meaning without favour, fairly. An anagram (storm) of HAVEN inside a word meaning finished.

• Dawn
        Posted March 31, 2012 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

Thanks Cryptic Sue!

• Dawn
      Posted March 31, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

D’oh, just written the answer in and I see why know :oops:

Posted March 31, 2012 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

It’s not the easiest today Dawn, so you are doing well :-) keeeeep preservating

Posted March 31, 2012 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

I mean perservating :-)

• Dawn
          Posted March 31, 2012 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

Thanks Mary, only 13a to go now and feeling silly that I can’t get it, there are not too many letters to choose from but perhaps I need a glass of red to oil the brain cells :D

Posted March 31, 2012 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

13a King Henry the First has returned outside (4)
            The definition is king. Reverse (returned) has outside the first (letter) of Henry.

• Dawn
              Posted March 31, 2012 at 9:21 pm | Permalink

Thank you Gazza, would not have got that in a month of Sundays and have only had two glasses of red :-)

21. Don1991
    Posted March 31, 2012 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

Hello to anyone who remembers I used to exist.
    After much perservation I managed all bar 21a/22d and needed the hints previously posted, so thanks for those.
    How’s life on the naughty step? Any decent cake there recently?

Posted March 31, 2012 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

Hi Don welcome back, no we’ve not been on the naughty step lately nobody seems to be cooking!! Kath did try to get me there today but without success :-)

Posted March 31, 2012 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

ps don’t you still exist!

Posted March 31, 2012 at 10:13 pm | Permalink

I’ll keep trying, Mary! There’s still tomorrow … :smile:

22. mary
    Posted March 31, 2012 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

back later! :-)

23. Chris
    Posted March 31, 2012 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

Tricky but quite good fun today … much better than yesterday. Got stuck on 21a and 22d (which is funny – thanks for clue Mary).

24. Derek
    Posted March 31, 2012 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed solving this puzzle on a sunny but very chilly Saturday afternoon over here in The Low Country..

I liked : 11a, 18a, 23a, 26a, 3d, 8d, 17d & 22d.

25. collywobbles1
    Posted March 31, 2012 at 5:48 pm | Permalink

Would some kind soul help me with 25a just so that I can close down that corner. My mind is a blank today

• Hrothgar
      Posted March 31, 2012 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

A very well known Opera, has elephants in it.:)

• collywobbles1
        Posted March 31, 2012 at 6:03 pm | Permalink

Many thanks Hrothgar/Derek, I knew it of course but I didn’t think it was spelt that way

• Derek
      Posted March 31, 2012 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

Hi CW1,

It is a well-known work by Verdi.