DT 26816 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 26816 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Crossword Club

1a           Sewer makes water kind of miss lock (10)
This sewing lady is a charade of a large expanse of water, the pretentious form of address for a Miss and a lock of hair

6a           Ask to engage Queen’s composer (4)
Put a verb meaning to ask or request around the Latin abbreviation of Queen to get this Austrian composer

9a           Lady in charge joining church to miss flying (10)
This lady in charge of a committee is a charade of the abbreviation of CH(urch) and a miss, like Amy Johnson, who flies an aircraft

12a         Play cricket getting ton having support on all sides of Stamford Bridge perhaps (12)
… not Chelsea’s home ground (well, not usually!), but the village in the East Riding of Yorkshire which was the site of a conflict on 25 September 1066 that marked the end of the Viking era in Britain [ When I searched for a picture, the first one to come up on Google was my own from the review of Toughie 323!]

21a         Ideal place for Strauss, a special musical talent (7,5)
… the first part of this double definition cryptically refers to Andrew Strauss the English cricketer, not Johann Strauss the Austrian composer (although some might say even this might not help him!)

27a         Cross about old soldier in north-east being stubborn (10)
Put a word meaning cross or angry around an old soldier, particularly an American one, itself inside the abbreviation of North-East

1d           Wine container (4)
You wouldn’t keep wine for very long in this container!  Just as well that it is a double definition – an old-fashioned name for various dry white wines from Spain and the Canaries and a container for flour or coal

5d           He’s had to travel far and handle bangers overturning (8)
This person who travels long distances beyond the earth is created by reversing a handle or title and the kind of bangers used in a toy gun

11d         Christmas present’s open — get angry (12)
… a present from one of the Wise Men at the first Christmas!

17d         Start to place two articles over temple (8)
The initial letter (start) of P lace is followed by an indefinite and a definite article and a two-letter word meaning over to get this temple of all the gods

23d         Lake — nothing more than that (4)
A double definition – a pool or lake and an adjective meaning nothing more than that

The Crossword Club opens at 10:00am.  Feel free to leave comments.

The Quick crossword pun: { hank } + { achieves } + = { handkerchieves }

1. Colmce
    Posted March 17, 2012 at 10:06 am | Permalink

Enjoyed this one, quick start and then a steady slog to finish.
    Realising that no knowledge or interest in cricket, bridge or golf is a bit of a handicap in this solving game.
    Thanks BD for hints.

2. Posted March 17, 2012 at 10:40 am | Permalink

A slow first furlong followed by a sprint down the final straight. Thanks to setter and to BD.

Eng vs Ire on St Patrick’s Day. Get the Guinness in and return to my Irish roots for the afternoon I think.

• Posted March 17, 2012 at 10:48 am | Permalink

I find myself hoping for a French win in Cardiff! For me that’s a bit like hoping Arsenal are going to win.

Posted March 17, 2012 at 10:53 am | Permalink

I have only one hope today, come on Wales :-)

• Sheepdog
          Posted March 17, 2012 at 10:57 am | Permalink

I am happy for Wales to win Grand Slam if Fulham can beat Swansea

Posted March 17, 2012 at 11:25 am | Permalink

Well I don’t know about that, come on Swans :-)

• Sheepdog
              Posted March 17, 2012 at 11:57 am | Permalink

My friend in Gorseinon is equally geedy, she also wants Wales and The Swans to win. Plain selfish!

Posted March 17, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

Gorseinon not far from here, I like Fulham if that’s any consolation after Liverpool and Swansea of course :-)

• Sheepdog
                  Posted March 17, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

And I like the Swans after Fulham and I love that neck of the woods

Posted March 18, 2012 at 11:44 am | Permalink

Sorry Sheepdog on both counts, but I have to say the Swans played really well :-)

• Brian
          Posted March 17, 2012 at 11:00 am | Permalink

I’ll second that, come on Wales, we showed you the way last week. Still with Parra on the bench? Insane!

• Derek
          Posted March 17, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

Your hopes were fulfilled Mary – I just finished watching the game!

Posted March 18, 2012 at 11:43 am | Permalink

Yes brilliant Derek :-)

Posted March 17, 2012 at 10:58 am | Permalink

I found this Very very tough today. Got some answers but can’t unravel the convoluted clues (5d, 15a low grades?) and still stuck on that ghastly 7d which is a total blank to me as is 2d even withe the checking letters.
    No real favs today, all a bit of a slog.

Posted March 17, 2012 at 11:02 am | Permalink

Hi Brian
      5d another name for your ‘handle’ followed by the little things we used to put in toy guns to make them go bang, then reverse the lot

• Posted March 17, 2012 at 11:03 am | Permalink

15a A and B are high grades and C is in the middle.

2d is someone who never had a mother, but split his name (1,3) and you get one.

5d I’ve covered

7d is an anagram

• Brian
        Posted March 17, 2012 at 11:28 am | Permalink

Thx BD. for putting me out ofmy misery! It didn’t help that I had the composer of the National Anthem Arne for 6a, what a clot!

• Mostly harmless
        Posted March 17, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

every one has a mother

• Mostly harmless
        Posted March 17, 2012 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

Oh i get it, the only bloke who never had a mother……..yegods

Posted March 18, 2012 at 11:45 am | Permalink

I know another bloke that hasn’t! :-)

• mostly harmless
            Posted March 18, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

Who might that be?

• Posted March 17, 2012 at 11:04 am | Permalink

7d is an anagram (crptyic) of on six clues to give a word meaning bars.
      2d Think of the book of Genesis for a man with no mother. However, if you split the answer 1, 3 it would suggest a mother.
      15a – The low grades are those that you would get in an exam. Put them inside a word meaning back to give a word for senior lecturer.
      5d. The answer is a person who has to travel far. It comes from a word meaning handle (as in a moniker) and a word for bangers (used in toy guns to make a popping sound) all reversed (overturning).

Posted March 17, 2012 at 11:05 am | Permalink

15a, a four letter word for back with two letters representing fairly low grades (as in exams) inside gives you a senior lecturer

4. mary
    Posted March 17, 2012 at 11:00 am | Permalink

Happy St Patricks Day to all the Irish in my family and indeed everyone Irish today, I shall be tooting the flute later to the tune of ‘Hail Glorious St Patrick’ , when I was young, in primary school, we had Irish priests and nuns and only ever celebrated St Patricks day!!!
    It is so good to be back after the awful mess that wordpress has made, I have had to use a new email address and don’t know if my little dog will be back at all!
    I found this tough going today with a little bit too much GK for me, needed Daves help for a few, thanks Dave :-) , at least a three star for me today, fav clues 24a and 11d,
    I have the answer to 18d through checking letters but must admit to not understanding it??

• Brian
      Posted March 17, 2012 at 11:01 am | Permalink

Do you mean 18a Mary? I think it’s something to do with press hands and what they used to do to their victims.

• Brian
        Posted March 17, 2012 at 11:02 am | Permalink

Sorry Pressgangs (bloody predictive texting)

Posted March 17, 2012 at 11:03 am | Permalink

Yes I did mean 18a Brian, sorry, thanks, I was thinking that but still don’t see how it works

Posted March 17, 2012 at 11:11 am | Permalink

Can anyone explain how 18a works please, I still don’t understand

• Posted March 17, 2012 at 11:14 am | Permalink

The name of the Chinese city is also the name given to the old process where men would be forced into naval service by recruiters who would get them drunk to get them enlisted.

Posted March 17, 2012 at 11:24 am | Permalink

Thanks Prolixic all is now clear :-)

5. foray
    Posted March 17, 2012 at 11:01 am | Permalink

I found this harder and not quite as enjoyable as usual. I still can’t get 7d or 19a and whilst I have an answer for 4d, I’ve never heard the word as a flock. I really liked 24a.

Posted March 17, 2012 at 11:09 am | Permalink

7d is an anagram of ‘on six clues’ indicated by ‘cryptic’ to give you a word for bars
      19a you need a woed for intended as in someone you are going to marry, take a word meaning to fund something financially and remove an ‘n’ for note

• foray
        Posted March 17, 2012 at 11:21 am | Permalink

Thank you very much, Mary, I’ve got them now. Your comments are always much appreciated and thanks to BD for his invaluable hints.

Posted March 17, 2012 at 11:27 am | Permalink

It’s just good to be able to make comments again foray after a few days out in the cold :-)

Posted March 17, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

I’m glad you’re back Mary. I’ve only just realised what you mean about losing your dog!! There I was getting all worried and thinking that you had actually lost one of your dogs!! :roll:

Posted March 18, 2012 at 11:42 am | Permalink

Thanks Kath it’s good to be back :-D

6. yepmopdog2
    Posted March 17, 2012 at 11:05 am | Permalink

That was hard work, by far the hardest this week for me, but managed (just) without the hints. 7d and 11d best clues for me.Thanx to Compiler and BD as usual.

7. Caravaggio
    Posted March 17, 2012 at 11:07 am | Permalink

It’s perhaps as well that I read your comments earlier, Dave, because I had a problem leaving a reply and at this time on a Saturday morning I would have expected to have seen more posts. I enjoyed this puzzle, although I had a feeling of deja vu while I was filling in the answers, but I will admit to having been around the block a few times…

8. Posted March 17, 2012 at 11:18 am | Permalink

A fair test for a Saturday I thought. Like Spindrift I had a slow start but a quick finish. Thanks to the setter and BD for the hints.

9. Posted March 17, 2012 at 11:19 am | Permalink

BTW did anyone else consider that 21a should have some indication of a definition by example?. It would have spoiled the surface somewhat.

• Posted March 17, 2012 at 11:24 am | Permalink

There’s a fine line between a “definition by example” and a “cryptic definition”. Either way a question mark might have been appropriate.

Posted March 17, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

Yes I agree Gnomey

10. Sheepdog
    Posted March 17, 2012 at 11:41 am | Permalink

Phew – just finished – very tough today – sudden flourish at the end, brain must have suddenly got into gear – couldn’t have done it without the hints from Big Dave and others. Thank yous all round.

11. steve_the_beard
    Posted March 17, 2012 at 11:42 am | Permalink

Very enjoyable, and a nice level of difficulty. Mind you, I did add to the difficulty by slamming in “chatelaine” for 9A, doh!

12. Hrothgar
    Posted March 17, 2012 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

Thanks setter and BD
    Nice one.
    How many times have I popped in a very keen singer?
    More than I care to remember :)

• Posted March 17, 2012 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

Agreed – one of those clues that should have an embargo on it. Problem is there aren’t many alternatives to the checking letters.

• steve_the_beard
        Posted March 17, 2012 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

Verdi opera? City with a leaning tower? The Beatles’ lovely meter maid?

13. Posted March 17, 2012 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

I thought it a bit tougher than the usual Saturday fare, but there have been a lot of people saying in the past that they wanted something harder – and lets face it, it is a prize crossword. Really enjoyed it though. Well done to setter and BD.

14. Posted March 17, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

A tougher Saturday challenge this week – took a while for everything to fall into place – I particularly liked 21a. THanks to the Saturday Mysteron and to BD too.

I highly recommend the NTSPP today, it is very entertaining and well within everyone’s capabilities – and what else are you going to do in this awful weather??

• Posted March 17, 2012 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

…listen to the garden make slurping noises!

• Posted March 17, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

the rain hasn’t made it here yet, it was it Whitstable an hour ago! Still got the cold mist here in the border country :)

• Posted March 17, 2012 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

Its just drizzle up the road. Enough to stop me clearing the car out!

15. BUSIANN
    Posted March 17, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

Good afternoon one and all. Going out to learn how to make fabulous cupcakes this after noon and really want to get my last answer. Really struggled to get going on this one and I am still having trouble with one of the smallest words – 10a. I could well have got 7d or 8d wrong but I don’t think so. Any help gratefully received.

• Sheepdog
      Posted March 17, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

Does this mean that you can already make horrible cupcakes?

• BUSIANN
        Posted March 17, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Hi Sheepdog – glad to see you were in the best in show group at Crufts. My cupcakes are not bad, but this lady makes them to a very high standard, unfortunately also to a high calorific value. Flavours are fabulous.

• Sheepdog
          Posted March 17, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

In spite of my name I prefer cats (don’t have to take them walkies)

• Posted March 17, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

The answer derives from the street in which the term was first used in the card game in question acccording to the BRB.

• Sheepdog
      Posted March 17, 2012 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

10a A (from the clue) and a pass (as you might find in the mountains) and you get a system of bidding in bridge

• BUSIANN
        Posted March 17, 2012 at 10:00 pm | Permalink

Many thanks Sheepdog, finally found time to finish my last word. Not a word I have ever heard of before. Cupcakes – orange ones – turned out beautifully, half of them already eaten, and learnt lots of other tips, such as weighing your eggs as they vary enormously, and that makes a great difference to the success and rising, or falling, of your cakes.

16. Mash
    Posted March 17, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

Thanks for help above, but still bit stuck (we are beginners and loosing heart!). Any prompters on 16a and 21a still don’t ge…

• Posted March 17, 2012 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

Hi Mash – welcome to the blog.

16a May be still life in dog’s breathing, I’ll be bound (8)
      It’s what a “still life” is an example of. Insert I (I’ll be bound) inside a dog’s heavy breathing.

• Posted March 17, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

21a I can’t do much better than BD’s hint. It’s what Strauss (or any batsman) would like to bat on.

• Posted March 17, 2012 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

Think of Gazza’s avatar on a hot day laid in the sun…

17. Posted March 17, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

Nice puzzle again today. 12d is a good clue and a new word for me. 10a a bit obscure otherwise nothing contentious. Many thanks.

18. Addicted
    Posted March 17, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

Found this a lot more difficult than normal Saturdays – needed both hints and blog to finish/explain, but got there in the end. Not being a cricket buff have only ever heard of one Strauss (what a mean clue!!) but the penny dropped with the hints – thank you BD. Would take issue with 27a being “stubborn”?? not a terribly good synonym IMO. But, despite moans, I did enjoy tackling it particularly as there hasn’t been a lot else to do on this horrid, wet, grey day – though I think it has finally stopped raining, so may venture into the garden now. Or shall I watch some golf? (No, I don’t follow rugby either!)

• mostly harmless
      Posted March 17, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

Lovely wet day. There is a drought on you know.

Posted March 17, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

I enjoyed this – was very slow to get started then it all went well. I finished (well, had answers for everything) without the hints but I needed them to explain 1a – just didn’t understand where the “water” came into it – should have seen that. Also 18a – I knew the city and the “press(gang)” meaning but couldn’t see the “drunk” bit. Best clues for me include 24a and 4, 11 and 13d. With thanks to the setter and BD.
    Everyone but us seems to have had rain – we’ve STILL only had a few drops and really need it. :sad:

Posted March 17, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

Can someone tell me what I’m doing wrong? I was just about to print out the NTSPP to do later but if I “click” on the bit that it tells me to I get the previous one. Am I being stupid again? :oops:

• Posted March 17, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

It’s not you. Hopefully BD will see this and fix it! It is a puzzle well worth waiting for.

• Posted March 17, 2012 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

Kath I have just tried and you can get the pdf s follows
      1) click on the puzzle link to the left and then click through the Interactive puzzle to the PDF link at the bottom. Don’t go for the PDF option from the first page.

• Posted March 17, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

Kath,
      The first link to the Interactive Version works (it’s the second that takes you to last week’s).

Posted March 17, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

Thanks all – will have another go and if I still can’t do it will wait until husband gets home – at least SOMEONE in this house knows what he’s doing ….

21. Mostly harmless
    Posted March 17, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

Hello to Jason Isaacs

22. OzzyCB
    Posted March 17, 2012 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

Found this quite a struggle and still not complete. Suspect last one (10a) is something to do with a card game I have never played?

• Posted March 17, 2012 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

Hi OzzyCB – you’ve changed your alias since your last comment, so this required moderation. Both aliases should now work.
      For 10a see Sheepdog’s hint at comment #15 above.

• Anonymous
        Posted March 18, 2012 at 1:16 am | Permalink

Thank you. I’ll try to file that word somewhere they grey cells can find in the future

• Anonymous
        Posted March 18, 2012 at 1:49 am | Permalink

Would also like to thank you for this excellent site. As you will guess from my name, I live many miles and time zones from most other posters. Can’t usually join in the to’ing and fro’ing on the site which is a shame. Last night was an exception as I stayed up till the wee hours to watch the rugby.

Posted March 17, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

Unfortunately the link to the pdf is broken: http://crossword.info/puzzles/BigDave/NTSPP_109/NTSPP_110.pdf (not found).
    Husband now home and has had a “play” with it – he has just written the bit above – I don’t understand at all – much too clever for me!! I imagine everyone is now watching the football/rugby now. Damn!!

• Posted March 17, 2012 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

Kath,
      I’ve emailed you a pdf.

Posted March 17, 2012 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

:smile:

24. Captain Duff
    Posted March 17, 2012 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

Really enjoyed this one. Didn’ t think I would finish it but got there in the end. Some really good clues I thought including 1a, 9a, 24a, 5d and 11d. Needed a bit of dictionary help with 10a as have not heard of that word before. ***/**** from me. Thanks to BD , setter and dictionary (quick glance, honest).

25. Weekend wanda
    Posted March 17, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed this as I enjoyed Wednesday and thursday. First read through I got about three! Steady though after that. Last one in 11d when I was about to give in and look at the hints. Some clues very mischievous. Liked 9 12 19 21 a and 13 20 and 23 d thanks to setter and BD and bloggers. Always a good read.

%d bloggers like this: