Recent Update to Commenting

Recent Update to Commenting

+ – + – + –+ – + – + – + – + – + – + – + –+ – + – + – + – +

Some of you have been having difficulty leaving comments recently.  The following has been posted in the WordPress Help Forum.  Please don’t ask why, it’s a mystery to me as well.

*** The Forum post has been updated over ther weekend ***

This site uses a custom domain name (see point 3 below).

1. Chrisrudzki
    Staff
    Mar 15, 2012, 3:57 PM

Howdy!

We’ve recently updated our commenting system.

Now, if someone tries to comment with an email address that’s attached to a WordPress.com account, they’ll need to sign into WordPress.com before they can comment.

If commenters have forgotten their password they can request a reset:

Please don’t hesitate to contact our Happiness Engineers if you have any questions. We’re glad to help!

2. Chrisrudzki

Staff
    Mar 17, 2012, 3:48 PM

Update

We discovered a bug that required some users to use an email address when commenting, even when the blog owner doesn’t require an email address, or might prevent logged-in users from commenting.

This bug has been fixed. We’re sorry for any inconvenience this might have caused.

3. nickhamze
    Staff
    Mar 18, 2012, 2:59 AM

Update #2

We discovered another bug that prevented some users from commenting if they attempted to comment on a blog with a custom domain name and had third-party cookies disabled.

This bug has been fixed as well and we’re sorry for any inconvenience this might have caused.

4. beau
    Key Master
    Mar 18, 2012, 5:48 AM

Clarification

WordPress.com and Gravatar.com accounts are the same thing. Accounts for each service work on the other. So if you’ve only ever used Gravatar, you can log into WordPress.com using your Gravatar account (and vice versa) to post using your registered email address.

1. BigBoab
    Posted March 16, 2012 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

?

• Caroline
      Posted March 16, 2012 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

??!

2. Posted March 16, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

I’d like to shake a Happiness Engineer by the throat.

Of all the ridiculous names for inane jobs, that takes the biscuit.

3. julian of ec4
    Posted March 16, 2012 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

Here here!

• Prolixic
      Posted March 16, 2012 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

Completely off the topic, but having just twigged your gravatar complete with guitar, are you the Julian who used to work at Eversheds?

• julian of ec4
        Posted March 18, 2012 at 6:26 pm | Permalink

• Prolixic
          Posted March 19, 2012 at 9:43 am | Permalink

I’m still here!

• julian of ec4
            Posted March 19, 2012 at 10:04 am | Permalink

you have the advantage, I don’t remember any Dolphins at Senator in my day….julian/[email protected]

• Posted March 19, 2012 at 10:23 am | Permalink

There’s a clue to his real identity here:

• julian of ec4
                Posted March 19, 2012 at 11:23 am | Permalink

Well! Thanks for that BD, I had to pop to my old photo album and put a face to the name.I left ‘the City’ in 2006, a terrible thing redundancy when you’re 59,so it took a moment to place him. Nice to know he’s still keeping the old firm on the rails….

• Posted March 19, 2012 at 11:25 am | Permalink

He features in quite a lot of the photos on the blog’s Facebook page:

• julian of ec4
                    Posted March 19, 2012 at 11:38 am | Permalink

What a splendid collection! As my book is over 6 years out of date it took a moment for the penny to drop. Bit like my puzzle solving……. Thanks again.

4. pommette
    Posted March 16, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

For the 4th time of asking!
    I can’t do this via IE – have to log in via Mozilla!

I didn’t even know I had a wordpress account – so when I set that up heaven alone knows.
    Why to technology companies have the muck around with things that ain’t broke!

5. Libellule
    Posted March 16, 2012 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

Thats one “Happiness Engineer” who has not made me happy. Talk about a backwards step.

6. Posted March 16, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

I see that someone has given this 1*! I’m still trying to work out a way for awarding a negative 3* :grin:

7. Wayne
    Posted March 16, 2012 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

I’ve contacted wordpress pointing out that since their change my Display name “Wayne” has been replaced by my password “yepmopdog2” and therefore needs modification. After a long and tortuous process I’ve finally found a ‘contact us’ facility and have posted a question.Awaitin response with baited breath.

• Wayne
      Posted March 17, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

No response from wordpress, Happiness Engineers bl**dy useless. BD put me on the right track so hope i’ve got my name back.

8. Posted March 16, 2012 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

I have yet to see a change, but then I have a wordpress account and I save the details.

9. Posted March 16, 2012 at 9:49 pm | Permalink

It seems to work for me using my WordPrss login but for what reason.

Who are these people who dream up ridiculous non-job names?

We have plenty over here as well. No doubt there are courses to learn the techniques!

• Posted March 16, 2012 at 10:19 pm | Permalink

It’s the same people that renamed dustbinmen (a proud and longstanding profession) as ‘Sanitary operatives’ and traveling salesmen (a not so proud profession) as ‘representatives’! :lol:

• Posted March 16, 2012 at 10:24 pm | Permalink

… and illegal immigrants as asylum seekers.

• Posted March 16, 2012 at 10:31 pm | Permalink

Are these guys that do the renaming ‘spin doctors’, who used to be known as ‘Liars’?

10. Qix
    Posted March 16, 2012 at 10:39 pm | Permalink

Oh dear, oh dear…

11. mary
    Posted March 17, 2012 at 8:52 am | Permalink

What a mess, I had tried everything I could think of even contacting wordpress to no avail, what a stupid thing to do, I was almost giving up when I remembered my gmail acct email address, which thank goodness has worked, now I just have to find my little dog!!

12. spyndryft
    Posted March 17, 2012 at 9:00 am | Permalink

What a load of buggeration! And for what reason pray tell?

• Posted March 17, 2012 at 9:01 am | Permalink

Have the “Y”s gone?

• Posted March 17, 2012 at 9:06 am | Permalink

Yep. Looks like you are back in the room!

• mary
        Posted March 17, 2012 at 9:08 am | Permalink

‘Y’s? Hi spindrift yes I think they’ve gone I have had to use a new email address to be able to get back on the site I am now trying to find my little dog, what a stupid mess!!!!

• Posted March 17, 2012 at 10:09 am | Permalink

The bad news is that to get the dog back you will need to create a new account with Gravatar.com and that means you will have to be logged in to it in order to comment!

Apparently this has been caused by a knee-jerk reaction to various people pretending to be Matt, who owns WordPress and Gravatar. There surely has to be a better solution.

Read about it here:

• mary
            Posted March 17, 2012 at 10:22 am | Permalink

Oh dear Ive already logged in and am waiting reply I hope this doesn’t cause me problems again :-( thanks Dave, I wait in dread

13. mary
    Posted March 17, 2012 at 9:23 am | Permalink

Happiness Engineers, I don’t think so I have been far, far, from happy the last three days!!!!

14. Posted March 17, 2012 at 10:32 am | Permalink

Happiness Engineers? Sound like a bunch of tree hugging yogurt knitters!

15. julian of ec4
    Posted March 18, 2012 at 6:25 pm | Permalink

Reply for Prolixic.

Yes, I plead guilty as charged to the Eversheds employment!

16. mary
    Posted March 19, 2012 at 10:06 am | Permalink

Well that’s as clear as mud to me!

17. mary
    Posted March 19, 2012 at 10:08 am | Permalink

I wonder if my dog works now

• mary
      Posted March 19, 2012 at 10:08 am | Permalink

obviously not!

• Posted March 19, 2012 at 10:20 am | Permalink

I’ve found him!

• mary
          Posted March 19, 2012 at 10:34 am | Permalink

Ooh am I back to normal now then Dave, you are so clever, very impresssed thank you :-)

• mary
            Posted March 19, 2012 at 10:34 am | Permalink

Oh dear!

• mary
          Posted March 19, 2012 at 10:40 am | Permalink

How did you do that I can’t seem to, when I log back into my other email address it just tells me it’s assosciated with a wordpress gravatar acct and to use back button and log in when I do it just says the same thing again!

• Posted March 19, 2012 at 10:49 am | Permalink

I amended the email address in your comment.

18. John H
    Posted March 22, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

Test

• Posted March 22, 2012 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

Looks nothing like you! ;)

• julian of ec4
        Posted March 22, 2012 at 6:16 pm | Permalink

but, from a distance, if you squint and cover one eye….

19. natladsdad
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 9:46 am | Permalink

Working again?

• Posted March 23, 2012 at 9:47 am | Permalink

Oh name change?

• Posted March 23, 2012 at 9:48 am | Permalink

Third time lucky

• Posted March 23, 2012 at 11:48 am | Permalink

Not that lucky – I had to fish you out of the spam filter.

This change really sucks. There’s another forum thread here which demonstrates how stupid people can be when they try and defend the indefensible (yes, it’s you designsimply that I am talking about!).