DT 26810 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 26810 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Crossword Club

I have added some pictures of the surprise party for Roger Squires to the blog’s facebook page.

1a           Duty for this French military group (4,5)
A charade of a duty or chore, FOR from the clue and the French for “this” gives a military group

6a           Crowd round live group (5)
A word meaning to crowd round or surround is a charade of a verb meaning living and a group

18a         Eastern cape captured by Scottish poet is where in France? (7)
This hooded cape worn by Arabs has come up recently!  Put the surname of a (some would say the) Scottish poet around (captured by) the French for where

23a         Director on board? (7)
A gently cryptic definition of the commander of a ship

25a         Weapons in Welsh town, be gone! (9)
These weapons or heavy guns are created by dropping BE (be gone) from the name of a town in Blaenau Gwent, South Wales

1d           Function well enough when there’s no more credit? (4,4)
This phrase meaning to function well enough,  especially at a low level of activity like a car engine idling, could mean that there’s no more credit

3d           Disc that’s disaster, Penny points out (6)
This computer disc (more accurately disk or diskette) is derived from a disaster or unsuccessful venture and P(ENN)Y from which the compass points have been dropped

7d           Cast lines (6)
A cryptic definition of the lines spoken by the cast of a play

19d         Thunderous noise coming from bellyache — not good! (6)
To get this thunderous noise start with a verb meaning to bellyache or complain and drop the initial G(ood)

I don’t really need an excuse for posting the best-ever pop instrumental, by the late, great, Link Wray, so I’m going to!

21d         One turn then another stopping short of the truth (6)
Combine two synonyms for turn, the first a try or attempt and the second a period of time, and drop the final L from the latter to get the truth, as given in the New Testament

The Crossword Club is now open.  Feel free to leave comments.

The Quick crossword pun: {alphabet} + {tickle} + {jigsaw} = {Alphabetical jigsaw}
Explanation: {A crossword puzzle that requires the solver to solve the clues, for which the answers which are in alphabetical order, and then fit those answers into the grid}

1. Dickiedot
    Posted March 10, 2012 at 10:13 am | Permalink

Liked this, lot of fun, thank you Mr Setter and BD for hints. What has happened to the web site, everything is appearing in caps, started yesterday……………?

• Posted March 10, 2012 at 10:15 am | Permalink

It appears to be a browser problem – or put differently anyone still using Internet Explorer should change to a proper browser rather than using Microsoft’s rubbish.

• steve_the_beard
        Posted March 10, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

Sore point, BD?

And before you ask… I use IE professionally, but Firefox and Safari at home :-)

2. Dickiedot
    Posted March 10, 2012 at 10:14 am | Permalink

ooops now it’s gone away

3. Dickiedot
    Posted March 10, 2012 at 10:14 am | Permalink

Oh, now it’s back

4. Dickiedot
    Posted March 10, 2012 at 10:16 am | Permalink

5. toadson
    Posted March 10, 2012 at 10:20 am | Permalink

Enjoyed this – 9a gave me a laugh. 18a was new to me but able to be worked out. Didn’t think 7d and 15d were particularly cryptic. Have a good weekend all.

• weekendwanda
      Posted March 10, 2012 at 10:33 am | Permalink

I enjoyed those clues. Perhaps not cryptic in the usual sense. I got 7d straightaway but thought it had a “fishy” ring about it so possible to get off on the wrong track with it.

6. weekendwanda
    Posted March 10, 2012 at 10:23 am | Permalink

For second week I finished before the post came up. More to do with time I started than my skill. Light pleasant solve. Last two in 18 a and d. On right lines for 18 a although not heard of the word but delayed as thought I had the answer for 18 d which was wrong. Important to remember one word and not two three letter words which I was fixated on. Favourites 9 10 13 and 25 a and 19 and 21 d.

7. Posted March 10, 2012 at 10:28 am | Permalink

Found today’s gentle, only minor hitch with 18a until i checked the spelling and removed the extra letter.
    Maybe it’s time to upgrade my Bradfords

Thankx for the hints.

• Posted March 10, 2012 at 10:33 am | Permalink

The latest (8th) edition of Bradfords still only has the 8-letter spelling.

• Posted March 10, 2012 at 10:40 am | Permalink

Is the Chambers better?

• Posted March 10, 2012 at 10:44 am | Permalink

Chambers Crossword Dictionary has both spellings, as does the BRB

8. SpikeyMikey
    Posted March 10, 2012 at 10:42 am | Permalink

Really enjoyed this – a good start to my Saturday. First in, 22a – last in, 24a. Now of to be a 22a – wife and daughter wanting to shop till they drop!!!!

9. Caravaggio
    Posted March 10, 2012 at 10:45 am | Permalink

I enjoyed looking at the photographs, Dave, and I know where you were because I was in exile in Shropshire for seven years. I thought that today’s puzzle was highly enjoyable and I’ve probably finished this crossword more quickly than I have for some weeks which is fortunate because I can now get some jobs out of the way before watching Wales this afternoon.

Posted March 10, 2012 at 10:45 am | Permalink

One for Mary today, never heard of that particular welsh town. Found it a little tougher than the usual Saturday but once underway it came steadily together mainly thanks to Mrs B who got the 15 letter clue :-)
    Thx to the setter and to whoever did the hints today which explained one answer.

11. Posted March 10, 2012 at 10:48 am | Permalink

Nice puzzle today. Many thanks again. 7d in the iPad version has, Cast lines (6,0) – not sure if it is just a mistake.

• Posted March 10, 2012 at 11:32 am | Permalink

So did the online version, but I corrected it in the hint

Posted March 10, 2012 at 11:10 am | Permalink

A perfect, straightforward, enjoyable, anagram-filled mid Saturday morning diversion thank you Cephas. Thanks to BD too for the hints. Grrr to the Telegraph Advertising Department again for (a) moving the crossword from the back page and (b) for putting two very nice looking pints of beer beside the crossword which is tempting me into having a beer with lunch.

Mr CS has decided that we are going to spring clean today so I had better get on before it’s lunchtime and I have to break off to solve the NTSPP.

• Posted March 10, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

An own-goal I suggest. This would deter me from ever selecting Santander as our bank, but could encourage me to try pint of Theakstons (should we ever run out of Black Sheep)

• Posted March 10, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

My account with Royal Bank of Scotland is due to be transferred to Santander. Having worked for them in the past I will be closing the account as soon as that happens. Luckily my Lloyds account has avoided being transferred to the Co-operative Bank, otherwise I would be closing that one as well.

Posted March 10, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

I don’t even look at more than the top left corner of the back page just to check we have been let down again. I certainly don’t get as far as seeing who is ruining the back page for usn :D

• Captain Lethargy
          Posted March 10, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

A cursory glance and then turn page. I couldn’t even tell you whoadvertises there.Make a point of not looking.

• Prolixic
      Posted March 10, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

Solving on-line or printing off from the website, you currently avoid advertising. However, there is a lot of white space on the printout just begging to be filled with adverts :)

Posted March 10, 2012 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

On the plus side there is plenty of space for working out the anagrams beside the larger glass of beer!

• Captain Duff
      Posted March 10, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

I used to work for the Daily and Sunday Telgraph ad departments many years ago. It was recruitment advertising and the days when recruitment advertising in the Daily Telegraph on a Thursday dominated the paper. We never displaced the crossword though, that would have been down to the display mob! :)

• Silveroak
      Posted March 10, 2012 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

What is NTSPP? I keep seeing it on blogs.

Posted March 10, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

If you look at the top right of this site you will see NTSPP 109 under ‘Recent Posts’ It stands for Not the Saturday Prize Puzzle and is an alternative puzzle only found on this site. A different setter every week provides us with a nice different Saturday challenge and it gives them a chance to get their work noticed. Do have a go. Just make sure you click on the right Post as the one with Review after it contains Prolixic’s review and hints.

Posted March 10, 2012 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

They’re really good. I only started doing them a few weeks ago – I’ve enjoyed all of them. They are sometimes quite different to the “ordinary” puzzles – there was one a little while ago called an “Alphabet puzzle” which nearly “did my head in” and took ages but I finished it, somehow, although at various stages I didn’t think that I was going to.

• Silveroak
          Posted March 11, 2012 at 12:38 am | Permalink

Thank you crypticissue and Kath. I hadn’t noticed it and have now printed it out to give it a try.

Posted March 10, 2012 at 11:14 am | Permalink

If anyone wants to see an example of the Quickie Pun have a look at today’s Guardian prize puzzle http://www.guardian.co.uk/crosswords/2012/mar/10/prize-crossword-25580

14. Posted March 10, 2012 at 11:24 am | Permalink

all done but for 9a. i’m sure that all of the crossing letters are correct but just can’t get the answer. a slight hint would be most appreciated. thanks to setter and to BD’s hints without which i’m afraid i would have struggled

• Posted March 10, 2012 at 11:31 am | Permalink

9a Take away motor parked by aristo (4,3)
      A phrasal verb meaning to take away is a charade of a motor vehicle (3) and an aristocratic or posh man

Posted March 10, 2012 at 11:42 am | Permalink

Sorry BD! Whenever I try to help I’m always beaten to it!! :smile:

• mary
        Posted March 10, 2012 at 11:43 am | Permalink

I must be pretty thick, I still can’t see it!

• mary
          Posted March 10, 2012 at 11:44 am | Permalink

Oh I see it I had 1d wrong!!!

• mary
            Posted March 10, 2012 at 11:45 am | Permalink

I had ‘turn’ for the first word of 1d – duh :roll:

• Posted March 10, 2012 at 11:50 am | Permalink

And me! No wonder I couldn’t solve it but now it’s obvious when you read BD’s hint. Thanks for the help now it’s back to pruning trees before the rugby.

Posted March 10, 2012 at 11:41 am | Permalink

9a – the definition is take away – you need a motor vehicle (3) followed by a slang term for someone who thinks he’s pretty good. Hope this helps – bet someone has got there before me!!

• mary
      Posted March 10, 2012 at 11:42 am | Permalink

Ooh I just noticed I havent got the first word here either!! still haven’t

15. mary
    Posted March 10, 2012 at 11:40 am | Permalink

Good morning Dave, it’s a bit of a funny construct in 18a isn’t it? otherwise no quibbles from me today a nice 2 to3 star for a Saturday :-)

• Weekend wanda
      Posted March 10, 2012 at 11:49 am | Permalink

It is but as the Scottish poet is predictable (for me as I only know one) any other way round may have been too easy to solve. From the construct there were a number of red herrings

• AtH1900
        Posted March 10, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

Och; McGonagall was never going to fit. ;-)

Beautiful Railway Bridge of the Silv’ry Tay!
        Alas! I am very sorry to say
        That ninety lives have been taken away
        On the last Sabbath day of 1879,
        Which will be remember’d for a very long time.

• Hrothgar
      Posted March 10, 2012 at 10:02 pm | Permalink

Nothing funny about the clue. It flows perfectly. Easily resolved, IMHO.

16. Posted March 10, 2012 at 11:54 am | Permalink

I commented in my review of last Saturday’s crossword that the welcome trend towards more difficult puzzles had reached about the right level (3*).
    This one was a journey back to the bad old days – very enjoyable, slightly amusing, but only 1* difficulty. I imagine that the DT postbag will be bursting.
    Thanks to Cephas, and of course BD.

• steve_the_beard
      Posted March 10, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

I must agree with you, Digby – it was pleasant enough but over all too soon.

Re the earlier comments about 9A; I thought it rather slangy and the least satisfying of the lot.

Thanks to all concerned :-)

Posted March 10, 2012 at 11:56 am | Permalink

I enjoyed this very much. If 18a has come up recently I don’t remember it. Perhaps it was in a toughie – either that or I’m losing my marbles!! I didn’t think this was too difficult although 18a took a while, as did 18d. I’d never heard of the Welsh town but not too tricky as so many begin with those four letters so it was easy enough to guess and take out the relevant ones (trying very hard to stay out of the naughty corner here!!) I agree with weekendwanda that 7d sounded a bit “fishy”! Too many good clues to mention them all – perhaps 9 and 24a and 19d, but lots of others too. With thanks to Cephas (?) and BD.
    Going to garden now then maybe have a go at the NTSPP.

18. Addicted
    Posted March 10, 2012 at 11:59 am | Permalink

Enjoyed that – got a bit stuck in SE corner so needed hints to confirm 25a – I kind of thought it was that but my knowledge of Welsh towns being virtually non-existent (sorry Mary!), I couldn’t justify it. Then the rest fell into place. 18a new word, but did work it out from checking letters. Liked 1d. Think it was generally a tad easier than other Saturdays but most enjoyable. Thanks to setter and BD for hints.

19. foray
    Posted March 10, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

I I really enjoyed today’s puzzle, completing it more quickly than ever before – maybe it’s because I’ve been ill and confined to home this week, therefore forced to do each day’s puzzle so maybe improving; I did find Thursday’s hard, though. The clue I was uncomfortable with today was 12a. I’ve not come across numbers making up a part of a word before because it is almost doubly cryptic – is this standard practice?

• Posted March 10, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

Using the numbers like that is a bit naughty – it’s like using egg for O, or “pair of spectacles” for OO – but it does happen quite a lot

Posted March 10, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

Before Mr CS makes me clear out another lot of rubbish, can I just recommend the NTSPP. It’s a very topical puzzle from Alchemi.

Posted March 10, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

May I reinforce CS’s recommendation for the NTSPP by Alchemi. It’s fairly gentle but very enjoyable (especially if you like anagrams) and anyone who can normally manage the DT back-pager should find it do-able and entertaining.

Posted March 10, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

Just finished it and will have to wait for the hints to explain one answer which I can’t make head or tail of – maybe it’s wrong!!

21. Captain Duff
    Posted March 10, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

Solved this one surprisingly quickly. First in was 12a and last 18a which I needed the dictionary for confirmation. Like some other solvers I had not heard of that particular Welsh town but could work it out easily enough from the clue. Favourites were 9a, 1d, 17d and 21d. **/*** from me. Thanks BD

22. Captain Lethargy
    Posted March 10, 2012 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

Nicely flowing crossword today. Really enjoyed this.Was convinced 6d was Angelica even though it didn’t fit then had that doh moment. Thanks to all concerned.

Posted March 10, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

I tried to make it Angelica too!

23. zaphod
    Posted March 10, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

Not looked at today’s yet but got a nice surprise in the post this morning… Runner up prize for DT 26,792 of a Crossword Companion notebook…. after all these years…. finally I win something :)

• mary
      Posted March 10, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

Well done zaphod :-)

24. mary
    Posted March 10, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

Off to prepare for the rugby now, then flute tooting, see you all tomorrow :-D

25. Hrothgar
    Posted March 10, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

I constructed a word “*******” and, viola, it’s a cape. :)
    Never heard the word before.

• Weekend wanda