DT 26792 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 26792 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Crossword Club

1a           Deputy being investigated (10)
Split this deputy as (5,5) and it could mean being investigated

10a         Redhead with animal skin upset you and me (5)
The nickname given to William II because of his red hair (and of everybody’s favourite setter!) is created by reversing (upset) an animal skin and following it by the objective pronoun for you and me

12a         A gaffer’s last to fix bright light (3-4)
A charade of A from the clue, the final (last) letter of gaffeR and a verb meaning to fix gives a very bright light

21a         Eulogist for Caesar, J? The opposite (7)
Format the name of one of Julius Caesar’s supporters as surname followed by initial and the result is the name for a word that is opposite in meaning to another

23a         Football team succeeded in stadium with skill finally (7)
The third-best team in London are derived by putting S(ucceeded) inside a stadium and then adding the final letter of skilL

27a         A tired peer resorted to second home (4-1-5)
An anagram (resorted) of A TIRED PEER gives a second home

1d           University expert on Arabia makes great fuss (6)
A charade of U(niversity, an expert and AR(abia) gives a great fuss

4d           Watch Cable perhaps entertaining European politician that is Conservative (9)
This instrument, such as a watch, for measuring time is created by putting a three-letter word for a cable or cord around a European politician, the Latin abbreviation of that is and C(onservative)

15d         Withdrawn US leader once backing British one (9)
To get a word meaning withdrawn reverse the surname of the peanut-farming former US President and then add the first name of a former, nominally Conservative, British Prime Minister

17d         A lost animal’s outside hospital — dog ends in there (8)
Put A from the clue, a lost animal and the S from ‘S around H(ospital) to get places where dog ends are stubbed out

22d         Antipodean to wander around over island (5)
This native Antipodean is derived from a verb meaning to wander reversed (around) and followed by (over in a down clue) I(sland)

I will be out all day but don’t worry, there will still be plenty of help available.

The Crossword Club opens at 10:00am.  Feel free to leave comments.

The Quick crossword pun: {fiddle} + {Styx} = {fiddlesticks}

1. Posted February 18, 2012 at 9:17 am | Permalink

nice puzzle thanks for the hints was 27 used recently ? seems familiar

2. Don Pedro
    Posted February 18, 2012 at 9:43 am | Permalink

Really enjoyed this one. I became quite heated thinking the puzzle had been issued a month after it was compiled! Then the logic hit me!
    Didn’t need you BD, but thanks anyway.

3. mary
    Posted February 18, 2012 at 10:32 am | Permalink

Found this quite a challenge today, thanks for hints Dave needed one and also one for explaination, a three star for me today only one fav clue and that was 6a good luck everyone :-) horrible dull day here but not cold so that’s ok :-)

4. Posted February 18, 2012 at 10:49 am | Permalink

After a slow start I raced to the end and thought it a fair test for a Saturday with a few to make one pause. Thanks to the setter and to BD. I’ll be around (amongst others) if any elucidation is required in BD’s absence.

• Sheepdog
      Posted February 18, 2012 at 11:30 am | Permalink

Elucidation needed! I have an answer for 26a but can’t really work it out from the clue

Posted February 18, 2012 at 11:31 am | Permalink

Its a double definition?

Posted February 18, 2012 at 11:32 am | Permalink

As well as meaning spots, it is also a synonym for ‘dare-devil’

• Sheepdog
            Posted February 18, 2012 at 11:35 am | Permalink

Oh dear, how thick am I? Thanks

• Posted February 18, 2012 at 11:41 am | Permalink

On first pass only 5 clues gone in, it’s looking ominous

Posted February 18, 2012 at 11:43 am | Permalink

perservate collywobs, there are some tricky ones though :-)

Posted February 18, 2012 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

I hadn’t even done that many after first read through!! Good luck! :smile:

Posted February 18, 2012 at 11:50 am | Permalink

Not thick at all it took me a while to ‘spot’ it too!

• Sheepdog
                Posted February 18, 2012 at 11:54 am | Permalink

thank you for that vote of confidence

Posted February 18, 2012 at 11:31 am | Permalink

Straightforward but very enjoyable. Some very nice clues in there and my dad’s favourite word too (18a). Thanks to the Mysteron and BD. I too will be around this afternoon to provide any further explanations.

The NTSPP will be up at 12 noon and I would recommend that everyone gives it a try – for more reasons than one. If you get stuck, my review will be up later this afternoon.

Posted February 18, 2012 at 11:35 am | Permalink

I didn’t find this at all straightforward but really enjoyed it – will have a go at the NTSPP – there seems to be a lot of mystery surrounding it – why? Or do I have to wait and see?!

Posted February 18, 2012 at 11:39 am | Permalink

Definitely wait and see – not long now :)

Posted February 18, 2012 at 11:44 am | Permalink

I think I have an idea :lol:

• Posted February 18, 2012 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

Where do you find the NTSPP?

Posted February 18, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

It’s on this site – if you look at Recent Posts in the right-hand panel it’s currently right at the top.

Posted February 18, 2012 at 11:33 am | Permalink

I’ve finished now but have had quite a struggle and could hardly do any to begin with. Really enjoyed it – my favourite (and last to go in) was 14a. I sat and looked at that one for ages. The other one that took a long time to understand was 21a but I got there in the end without needing the hint. I STILL can’t make any sense of what I’ve got for 11a – any help would be appreciated. Lots of really good clues today – too many to mention all of them so thanks to the setter and to BD.

Posted February 18, 2012 at 11:42 am | Permalink

I am going to have to be careful how I explain 11a as I haven’t made the lemon drizzle cake yet! If you have the right word, you should have some small cars into which are inserted A (from the clue), a two-letter abbreviation for a ‘high honour’ given by the Queen followed by T for time (on Time)

Posted February 18, 2012 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Yes took me a while to see the middle bit and must admit had to look the honour up :-) think I may have some lemon drizzle today :-)

Posted February 18, 2012 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

Thanks to all three for sorting me out on that one – complete blind spot. I used to have the traveller version of that car – the one with lots of wooden bits – it grew moss all along the insides of the windows! I used to feel as if I was driving around in a greenhouse but I really loved the car! :grin:

• Posted February 18, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

There’s some acorn cake I believe!

• Posted February 18, 2012 at 11:44 am | Permalink

Kath – it had me going for a while. You need A (from the clue) and an abbreviation of a high honour in the commonwealth inside some small cars all followed by the usual appreviation of Time.

• Rai fenton
      Posted February 18, 2012 at 7:09 pm | Permalink

I’m not sure I have the correct answer for 14a, especially the first part – any hints please.

• Franco
        Posted February 18, 2012 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

Rai, the first part is a synonym of “sound” as an adjective meaning “undamaged, unscathed, uninjured, out of danger, unhurt, intact, secure”.

Now? Where did I put my Thesaurus?

Posted February 18, 2012 at 7:40 pm | Permalink

I’m not sure how to help without being in deep trouble here but I’ll have a go. The definition is a criminal – the first part is “sound” ie something that is not going to let you down. The second part is a word that means “mad”. Put the two words together and you have someone who breaks into a stronghold.

Posted February 18, 2012 at 7:42 pm | Permalink

Oh dear – naughty corner here I come – have I supplied an alternative clue – honest guv, i didn’t mean to!! :sad:

7. njm
    Posted February 18, 2012 at 11:54 am | Permalink

Done all but 26a – having a “senior moment” with that. Any prompts appreciated. LOVED 21a, not too impressed with 10a. Pretty enjoyable overall.

Posted February 18, 2012 at 11:58 am | Permalink

Hi njm it is a double definition , spots as in a disease and as a synonym for dare-devil

• njm
        Posted February 18, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

Thanks Mary. Can’t believe I could be so slow! Maybe it’s spending all week learning to run Linux on my my home PC?

Posted February 18, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

It’s often the obvious ones we don’t ‘spot’ :-)

8. Posted February 18, 2012 at 11:58 am | Permalink

I’ve got 2d but I don’t know why. Could somebody help?

• njm
      Posted February 18, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

It’s a double definition – fault and go over to the other side.

• Posted February 18, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

Thanks both. Rat = ***. Doh!

Posted February 18, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

Oh dear!! Off with your head and straight in to the naughty corner!! Wait until someone notices what you’ve done!!

• Posted February 18, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

C’mon Collywobbles – you know better than that!

Posted February 18, 2012 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

he obviously wants the lemon drizzle!!

• Posted February 18, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

I’m really sorry. I got carried away with myself and the ingenuity of the clue. My doctor tells me that I can’t have cake but I’m off to the naughty step anyway. I’m really, really sorry

Posted February 18, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

There is some acorn cake there apparently – I thought only pigs could eat acorns which probably explains why it is lingering the corner.

• Posted February 18, 2012 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

What’s that supposed to mean! I thought that this was a friendly blog

Posted February 18, 2012 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

I think it means there are no pigs on this blog collywobs! that’s why the acorn cake is still there :-)

• Franny
                    Posted February 18, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

And it wasn’t worth eating in the first place! :-(

• Posted February 18, 2012 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

So I won’t eat it I’ll return it to Crypticsue

Posted February 18, 2012 at 7:42 pm | Permalink

I never have and never would make acorn cake – someone left it there the other day following acorn being in a crossword.

Posted February 18, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

Double definition!

• foray
        Posted February 18, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

At first I thought this was a treble definition and there was a fault in the clue! Initially I put in ‘splits’ which I thought was a good answer to a good clue, allowing for incorrect use of apostrophe and lack of plural in fault. However, having got some of the across clues, I realised my fault – and think I now have the right answer..

9. njm
    Posted February 18, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

Senior moment over. DOH!!

10. Caravaggio
    Posted February 18, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

An enjoyable puzzle, without being overtaxing, and I particularly liked 24a, which I thought was very clever. The weather here in Cheshire has been appalling this morning so I haven’t felt guilty in completing the crossword when I know that I’ve got some outdoor jobs to attend to…

11. Posted February 18, 2012 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

I don’t know anything about football so could somebody drop the picture into 23a

• Posted February 18, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

Sorry, it’s OK. I’ve just had a Gnomey moment

• Posted February 18, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

Big Dave wouldn’t thank us for splashing that picture all over his blog!

Posted February 18, 2012 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

Most definitely not!

• Posted February 18, 2012 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

Does that mean he does not support *******

Posted February 18, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

He supports Spurs

Posted February 18, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

It was the only football team that I could think of – lucky that it fitted the clue!!

12. Pollythecatwoman
    Posted February 18, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

26d I’ve got the answer I think is right from the 2nd half of the clue but don’t see what this has to do with the first half

Posted February 18, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

Hi Ptcw, if you mean 26a see comments 7 and 4 above :-)

13. Pollythecatwoman
    Posted February 18, 2012 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

Sorry, meant 20d

Posted February 18, 2012 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

you need a single letter abbreviation for ‘son’ followed by a word for ‘shelf’

• Pollythecatwoman
        Posted February 18, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

Yes, I have the answer, but don’t understand how it connects with “hurl”

• Pollythecatwoman
          Posted February 18, 2012 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

My husband has just explained it is a cricketing term for hurling abuse.

Posted February 18, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

yes , so I believe, I hate these cricketing ones, getting the answer was easy but understanding it another thing :roll:

• Franny
              Posted February 18, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

I’m with you there — couldn’t understand why I had that answer either, but it was the only one that fitted.
              How did you do that emoticon? There was a list somewhere but I can’t find it.

Posted February 18, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

Hi Franny its at the top of the page under frequently asked questions or you just put colon roll colon

• Franny
                  Posted February 18, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Mary. :-)

• Franco
                    Posted February 18, 2012 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

20d – Chambers definition – “to seek to upset the batsman’s concentration by making offensive remarks”

I tried to find a suitable example…but they’re all far too rude for this gentle gathering! (Of Australian origin, I think!)

• Posted February 18, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

I don’t know a cricketting term for ‘hurl abuse’ unless the game has changed since my day

Posted February 18, 2012 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

Chambers says the term is originally Australian – which probably explains all :D

• Posted February 18, 2012 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

Thanks both. I played cricket at school and followed it for 50 years since and I’ve never heard of it although I have found it in the BRB and it seems to be unpleasant

Posted February 18, 2012 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

It’s the same word as another word for “toboggan” – I only know it because it was one that I didn’t understand in a crossword a while ago.

14. Toadson
    Posted February 18, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

Harder than many a Saturday, but enjoyable. Liked 24a, and thought 21a was a clever clue. By the way, I particularly enjoyed Thursday’s puzzle this week . Thanks to all involved.

15. BigBoab
    Posted February 18, 2012 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

Late to this today as I’ve been strolling along the Esplanade with my Grandchildren in the lovely sunshine ( cool sea breeze however ). I thought this a very enjoyable crossword today though not too taxing, just right for the weekend, my thanks to the setter and to our leader for the hints.

Posted February 18, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

which esplanade would that be BB

• BigBoab
        Posted February 18, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

Kirkcaldy in Fife, not really a beautiful town as it is quite industrial but the Esplanade is lovely as is the harbour, my younger sister and her husband live in a wee flat overlooking the front, we are a wee bit further in to the town but it is only a 3min. drive away.

Posted February 18, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

sounds lovely :-)

Posted February 18, 2012 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

… the sunshine sounds lovely too! Chucking it down in Oxford – temperature has fallen several degrees in the last hour – collie and I are dripping and cold! :sad:

Posted February 18, 2012 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

Oh no, its lovely here today blue skies and sunshine, tho’ cloudy earlier on, I thought you were in the garden!

Posted February 18, 2012 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

Not gardening today although it has at least stopped raining now.

16. nanaglugglug
    Posted February 18, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

Really stuck on 7d – think I may be wrong somewhere? Any clues anyone?

Posted February 18, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

You need another word for what a bird does when it tweets around ‘a’ for answer giving you a word meaning ‘put to test’

Posted February 18, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

what a bird does when it tweets in past tense

Posted February 18, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

Tweets refers to birds not that instant messaging thingy. Insert an A (answer) into one of the ways of describing how birds sang.

• nanaglugglug
      Posted February 18, 2012 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

Thanks girls!! Think I’m really wrong somewhere as can’t make anything fit!! Am going to go away and think about it at a 5 year olds party!!

Posted February 18, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

I am just going to make a cake so I will be bold and say ‘budgie food’

Posted February 18, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

the kind that used to make budgies bounce with health or so the advert said!! I did say I wanted some lemon cake! :-)

• Franny
          Posted February 18, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

Lemon, please, not acorn!

• Posted February 18, 2012 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

Make it acorn cake, they are getting short on the naughty step

• Posted February 18, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

Hello NanaGG – How goes it?. There’s gonna be some seed cake dished out in the naughty corner soon for alternative clues!

17. Chris
    Posted February 18, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

Loved 21a. My clue of the year so far …

18. Little Dave
    Posted February 18, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

Good afternoon all – I have been crossword-deprived all week as was sunning myself in Florida – lovely! Despite the red eye flight and being a tad out of practice I found this very straight-forward. A nice way to relax listening to the ODI. Finn is doing well!

Posted February 18, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

think I’d rather be deprived and have the sunshine :-)

19. Posted February 18, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

I’m just watching the rugby at Bath on the TV and I’m glad that I’m not there. Wev’e got blue skies but it’s a little cold

Posted February 18, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

Are you in the Languedoc region collywobs my sister in law lived there for a few ears until she moved to Brittany a few years ago

• Posted February 18, 2012 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

Yes, Mary, that’s where I am and it’s lovely, especially in the summer. It’s becoming very popular for Northern Europeans. It’s also got good countryside and cuisine. While I am on, can you help with 3d, I’ve got most of the checking letters but I can’t get it

• Franco
          Posted February 18, 2012 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

I’m not Mary…but 3d is an anagram of “A friar……..Satanism..” Definition: cult

20. Franco
    Posted February 18, 2012 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

For the second Saturday in a row I found this one quite easy.

Today’s NTSPP is well worth a visit! A Tribute to 10a. A coincidence?

Posted February 18, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

I don’t think it’s any coincidence Franco! :-)

21. TimCypher
    Posted February 18, 2012 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

This one wasn’t too bad, and I made steady progress – 11a and 26a required a bit of thought, and I did need the hint for 21a (d’oh!). 8d was my last in (another big d’oh moment), so I think that was my favourite clue, along with 24a (strange context, if I’m right with my answer). I’d also not heard of 20d used in that context before, but the answer couldn’t have been anything else…
    Fun puzzle, anyhow! :)

22. Posted February 18, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

I really really hate cricketing references, enough!

23. Franny
    Posted February 18, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

First time through I only found four words, but then I managed to finish it all — more or less! I am now thoroughly stuck on 7d and 11a and will go back through your helpful hints above to try and sort myself out. There were a number of excellent clues, but I really liked 21a and 24a. Many thanks to the compiler and all who are trying to help.
    :-)

Posted February 18, 2012 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

Hi Franny 7d & 11a have been explained above, let me know if you’re still stuck :-)

• Franny
        Posted February 18, 2012 at 7:13 pm | Permalink

Hi Mary. I’m ashamed to admit I’m still stuck — part of the problem being that I seem to have all the right alternate letters and nothing seems to fit. I think I’ll just give up. :-(

Posted February 18, 2012 at 7:18 pm | Permalink

You have mail!

24. Posted February 18, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

Also late to this today, but thought it a nice puzzle. Like most I thought 21a a lovely clue. 7d last to go in as had a mental block over the spelling – even though I had all the letters and spaces! Getting old. Thaks to all, setter and bd and all you bloggists (sounds better than bloggers!).

25. Annidrum
    Posted February 18, 2012 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed this to-day .Thought 21a a really clever clue. Thanks to setter. :smile:

26. Addicted
    Posted February 18, 2012 at 5:10 pm | Permalink

First read through – zero; second attempt, managed four or five; took a couple of hours out to go and see “The Woman in Black” (scary!!); third attempt over tea and cake (chocolate, not lemon or acorn) and finished without any need for hints! Weird – obviously one that one needed to “get into”, in my case anyway. Thoroughly enjoyed it – 18a took a while but was OK when I’d got some of the checking letters in. Hate cricket clues too but got 20d, though didn’t put it in until I’d done some research! Thanks to setter for an enjoyable Saturday and BD for the hints I didn’t need on this occasion.

27. Posted February 18, 2012 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

While the term *****ing is almost certainly Antipodean, the concept has been around for many years. Many are not fit for this site but here is one of my favourites:

“Don’t bother shutting it, son, you won’t be there long enough.”

Fred Truman to incoming Aussie batsman as he opened the gate on his way out to the middle at Lord’s

• Posted February 18, 2012 at 6:32 pm | Permalink

Whoops apologies – was watching end of England/Pakistan and not concentrating. And then along came Pommers………

• Posted February 18, 2012 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

Mea culpa :grin:

• Posted February 18, 2012 at 6:34 pm | Permalink

P.S. Love the Fred Truman quote though :lol:

28. Posted February 18, 2012 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

Only just got to doing this one. Did the NTSPP over lunch and this over a pre prandial :smile:

If you haven’t looked at the NTSPP I can seriously recommend it – a serious tribute to one of the masters!

This one was excellent – favourites among a lot of good stuff were 21a,24a,25a (me?) and 17d. ( I actually liked ****** but pommette won’t agree!).

Thanks to the setter and BD.

• Posted February 18, 2012 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

P.S. When are we going to get the Spurs in a puzzle – I remember Chelsea and Man U recently but can’t recall a Spurs clue. :sad: (my favourite of the London clubs).

• Franco
      Posted February 18, 2012 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

Jeez! Pommers! Surely you know the rules by now!

I wish I could relate my favourite bit of offensive language from one cricketer to another…but, not suitable on this site!

• Posted February 18, 2012 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

Sorry, forgot it’s Saturday :oops: Any cake left in naughty corner?

29. Posted February 18, 2012 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

I’ve got 24a but I don’t understand the clue. Can anyone help?

Posted February 18, 2012 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

Split it 1, 3, 5 and if the 1 is the first letter of Tournament, then the rest is what the IOC did

• Posted February 18, 2012 at 5:32 pm | Permalink

Doh! Thanks CS. I’m not clued in fully to the initial letters yet

Posted February 18, 2012 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

This year, of all years, you ought to recognise those initials – mind you I suppose you are in France and don’t get something on the TV daily about a certain event this summer.

• Posted February 18, 2012 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

No, I knew the initials IOC, I was just too thick to see the 1,3,5. It was the ‘T’ that I hadn’t sorted

30. Posted February 18, 2012 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

Phew, finished. It ended up easier that I thought it was. Liked 24a with which CS helped me

31. Nanaglugglug
    Posted February 18, 2012 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

Finally the penny dropped!! Thanks all-and thanks to Hotlips who came home from a dire football match and solved it!

32. Dawn
    Posted February 18, 2012 at 6:14 pm | Permalink

On first read through I got one and thought this was going to be more hard work than it was worth but with the help of the hints (thanks Big Dave)! I have got four to go in ne corner. Have read the stuff on 11a but it’s still not coming :-( Any further ideas please?

• Posted February 18, 2012 at 6:21 pm | Permalink

Hi Dawn

I’m already in the naughty corner so what the hell! :grin:

11a Definition is a type of factory worker. You need a type of small car (plural) followed by T(ime) and insert (collecting) A (from the clue) and an honour in the gift of the Queen.

• Posted February 18, 2012 at 8:28 pm | Permalink

Thanks Pommers, finally twigged 11a I think, can you explain 8a as I have answer but don’t understand why.

Posted February 18, 2012 at 9:27 pm | Permalink

No 8a – do you mean 8d? In case you do I will try to explain – the definition is “provide with extra security”. You need a 3 letter word for “except” followed by a 5 letter word for lock. Forget the obvious and think about “hair”. Good luck. :smile:

• Dawn
            Posted February 18, 2012 at 9:46 pm | Permalink

Thanks Kath, the pennies have finally made resounding clunks as they dropped into place :D. I will now take my place on the stupid step

33. Franny
    Posted February 18, 2012 at 7:09 pm | Permalink

That’s all right, Pommers, I’ve just made a batch of peanut butter cookies. :-)

34. Franco
    Posted February 18, 2012 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

23a – “Gooners” or “Goners”?

Chambers Defintion: “goner”: something that is considered beyond hope of recovery.

“Merde” – a dit M. Arsene Wenger!

• Franco
      Posted February 18, 2012 at 8:10 pm | Permalink

I’m sure that no further explanation is needed, but….

AC Milan 4 – 0 Gooners

Sunderland 2 – 0 – Gooners

• Heno
        Posted February 18, 2012 at 10:31 pm | Permalink

I’m afraid you are right Franco, the Gooners have sure dropped an “o”, even though they were in this crossword today :-)

• Posted February 18, 2012 at 10:37 pm | Permalink

Today’s result was the icing on the cake for me after a very enjoyable day!

• Posted February 19, 2012 at 9:10 am | Permalink

Just been given two tickets for Arsenal’s end of season party, anybody want them, I can’t get tommorow off work?

Posted February 18, 2012 at 9:31 pm | Permalink

Don’t understand either of these comments, Franco. Am I being stupid, or just a “girl”?!! :smile: I imagine it’s “football stuff” again, in which case I really wouldn’t expect to understand!

35. Gari
    Posted February 18, 2012 at 7:31 pm | Permalink

Nice CW today, got stuck on 7d as I thought it only had 1 “L” in it, it was Mary’s budgie seed that finally made me see it. :lol:

36. Martin&Louise
    Posted February 18, 2012 at 7:35 pm | Permalink

HI, we are really stumped with 8d….. any help please?

• Gari
      Posted February 18, 2012 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

Hi Martin & Louise,

Think of something providing security to a wall of a cathedral, these things are usually “flying”. :roll:

Posted February 18, 2012 at 7:40 pm | Permalink

the definition of 8d is the provide with extra security, here in the form of a support or prop to a wall. The first part (3) means ‘except for’ and here ‘lock’ refers to hair so you need the usual crossword word for a long lock of hair.

38. Martin&Louise
    Posted February 18, 2012 at 7:49 pm | Permalink

Sorry, that was a bit brusque for a first post but I didn’t think it would work as easily as that. Louise has done this puzzle for years …on and off while I am a recent convert so you can guess who is the real talent :)

39. Martin&Louise
    Posted February 18, 2012 at 7:51 pm | Permalink

Doh. I did see the word earlier but couldn’t make sense of it. Thanks.

Posted February 18, 2012 at 7:54 pm | Permalink

I know my reply to your original question somehow ended up in the wrong place, but if you click on REPLY at the top of the post to which you are replying it keeps the threads together. I didn’t notice the brusqueness, I know how it is when you are desperate to get the last word solved!

• Martin&Louise
        Posted February 18, 2012 at 8:15 pm | Permalink

Oh, Ok. Actually we didn’t have 6a either but that just fell in afterwards. I thought the AR part of the 1d charade was a bit obscure or is that just me?

Posted February 18, 2012 at 8:17 pm | Permalink

Once you have done thousands of these crosswords, most abbreviations are not obscure at all! I will agree that AR doesn’t turn up very often but I am sure it will again!

• andy
            Posted February 18, 2012 at 8:21 pm | Permalink

Just like EA, and it has taken a while for that to sink in……

• Franco
              Posted February 18, 2012 at 8:33 pm | Permalink

…a NEAT reply….

• andy
                Posted February 18, 2012 at 8:36 pm | Permalink

Hee Hee, those blxxy oxen!

• andy
                  Posted February 18, 2012 at 8:37 pm | Permalink

Sorry Franco, left handed writing, “blo””dy” oxen

Posted February 18, 2012 at 9:35 pm | Permalink

Oh dear – poor you – are you STILL one handed?!!

• Posted February 18, 2012 at 10:43 pm | Permalink

I love this blog and this is why!.
                      Hope all is well Andy!

40. Rod Ash
    Posted February 18, 2012 at 9:40 pm | Permalink

Evening all, agree with many above that slightly harder today than usual and several required extra thinking. I liked 12a, 13a, 14a and quite a few others too.

41. Derek
    Posted February 18, 2012 at 9:46 pm | Permalink

Just back from dinner with friends chez eux.
    Faves :14a, 21a, 24a, 27a, 3d, 8d, 9d & 22d.

21a was very clever!

Posted February 18, 2012 at 10:33 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the Mysteron and to Big Dave, I found this very enjoyable, but had to resort to the hints for 10a, ironic that the answer is a well known setter.

• Heno
      Posted February 18, 2012 at 10:35 pm | Permalink

Favourite was 21across, brilliant !!

• Franco
        Posted February 18, 2012 at 11:37 pm | Permalink

Agree with you, Heno, 21a – very clever!

I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him;
        The evil that men do lives after them,
        The good is oft interred with their bones,
        So let it be with Caesar …

43. Docnick
    Posted February 19, 2012 at 10:15 am | Permalink

Is it to late to get any help with my last three clues? Have been a little slow this weekend!

Posted February 19, 2012 at 10:45 am | Permalink

Hi Docnick – welcome to the blog.
      Which clues are they?

• Docnick
        Posted February 19, 2012 at 11:37 am | Permalink

Got them after a strong cup of coffee! Many thanks anyway!

• Posted February 19, 2012 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

Around these parts, we call that “Gnome’s Law”

44. Weekend wanda
    Posted February 20, 2012 at 8:15 am | Permalink

Checked the blog after a slow solve due to difficulty (for me) and grandparental duties. 10 month old believes assisting means eating the puzzle. Always good to check the clues and comments. I found I had the wrong last letter for 7d. So easy to make a careless mistake.