DT 26780 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 26780 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Crossword Club

1a           Fool somehow atoning accepting one mission (11)
A three-letter word for a fool is followed by an anagram (somehow) of ATONING around (accepting) I (one) to get a mission or rendezvous

10a         Restful place, old, unaltered (5)
To find this restful place in the desert start with O(ld) and follow it with two words which together mean unaltered

12a         TV programme like this — a frivolously entertaining time (4,5)
A TV program like Coronation Street or EastEnders is derived from a two-letter word meaning like this, the A from the clue, a frivolous type of music and a period of time

24a         A coarse fellow held by soldier, revolutionary leader (9)
Put the A from the clue and a coarse fellow inside Crosswordland’s usual American soldier to get this Italian patriot and military leader (1807–82)

28a         Pardoning unruly Generation X (11)
This verb meaning pardoning is an anagram (unruly) of GENERATION X

2d           Belt a girl or boy (5)
A belt or waistband followed by the A from the clue gives a name that can be given to either a boy or a girl

5d           Fighter in ring moved fast put on deck endlessly (8)
This person who fights in the bullring comes from a verb meaning moved fast followed by all bar the final N (endlessly) of a word meaning to deck or embellish

8d           Hero’s declaration to partner Bush (8)
As (1,7) this might have been what Hero said to her lover after he had swum across the Hellespont to be with her, but it’s actually an evergreen shrub with lance-shaped leathery leaves and beautiful red or white flowers – note that by placing Hero as the first word in the clue the necessary capitalisation is disguised

19d         Polish get-togethers grow bigger (7)
This polish is a charade of some get-togethers (usually preceded by words like spelling or sewing) and a verb meaning to grow bigger which is often used to describe what happens to the moon as it changes from a New Moon to a Full Moon

25d         Pick up pound on merit (5)
To get this verb meaning to pick up or study start with the abbreviation used for a pound sterling and add a verb meaning to merit or deserve

The Crossword Club opens at 10.00am.  Feel free to leave comments.

The Quick crossword pun: {jaw-jaw} + {well} = {George Orwell}

1. SpikeyMikey
    Posted February 4, 2012 at 8:08 am | Permalink

Whoa – early bird!

2. Prolixic
    Posted February 4, 2012 at 8:23 am | Permalink

Tricky but great fun to solve with lots of d’oh moments. Thanks to our Mysteron and to BD for the notes.

3. moose
    Posted February 4, 2012 at 9:45 am | Permalink

I do hate it when a full page ‘ad’ appears on the back page of the Saturday D.T. and I have to neatly fold the paper to access the Crossword!
    Was a little while finishing the right hand side but got there eventually. Somehow managed with 20a to get the correct answer at the third attempt after words which didn’t seem too far off the mark (right letters, wrong order and close to the object of the clue) so it doesn’t look very pretty with all the crossings out. D’oh!
    Enjoyed 19d, 6d and 21d in what I thought was quite a tester for a Saturday.

• Caravaggio
      Posted February 4, 2012 at 11:33 am | Permalink

Like Moose, I detest having to complete the crossword on the inside of the back page and I’m sure that Crypticsue will be delighted to find the puzzle there too… I made good progress until I got stuck in the south east corner too but, nevertheless, I thought that it was a most enjoyable puzzle.

Posted February 4, 2012 at 11:58 am | Permalink

Indeed I was. Don’t they realise they are wasting their time as no-one actually looks at the advert, just mutters and turns the paper back.

• Ivan
          Posted February 4, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

I’m with you Moose. Please please bring back the crossword to the back page.

• Posted February 4, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Ivan

Why don’t newspapers learn – you should never upset the crossword solvers!

Posted February 4, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

Why? Money?

I didn’t look at the Advert – just folded the newspaper nicely!

• Captain Lethargy
                Posted February 4, 2012 at 8:10 pm | Permalink

Without looking, does anyone know what the advert was? I don’t know.

Posted February 4, 2012 at 10:20 pm | Permalink

No, not a clue – didn’t even look – just said “oh ***** to them, they’ve done it again”! Hate it!! Perhaps we should get a life!!!!

• Robert S
                  Posted February 5, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

HSL comfort store – furniture; chairs mainly. Some people read the DT from cover to cover (particularly savouring Huhne’s demise) before doing the crossword as an afterthought. Stuck on 15d and 23a last two.

Posted February 5, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

Hi Robert
                    15d – you need a three letter insect inside a five letter word for ordinary to give you this weed
                    23a – you need the even letters form priest like to give you a word meaning to tie again

4. Lea
    Posted February 4, 2012 at 10:03 am | Permalink

Done and dusted nice and early. Took the longest with 9d as I had it in my brain that the word split was 9,4 instead of the 4,9 and couldn’t make it work. Finally when I realised my mistake I got it. Therefore I will put that as my clue of the day.

Haven’t had time to do many this week and it looks like I missed a couple of good ones – especially Thursday. If I get time later I will download it and try and see if I can get any.

Thanks to setter and to BD for the hints. Any more photos from last weekend? Will go hunting.

• Posted February 4, 2012 at 10:06 am | Permalink

There are two sets of photos on the blog’s facebook page – see sidebar for a link.

• Lea
        Posted February 4, 2012 at 10:17 am | Permalink

Thanks BD – don’t go to facebook often (have avoided it) but will go look now.

Posted February 4, 2012 at 11:03 am | Permalink

Well done Lea, I am struggling with this today so far, yes, have a go at Thursdays, be interesting to see what you think :-)

• cruisenuts96
      Posted February 5, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

Hi Lea

See you download the crosswords from the DT. Am thinking about subscribing. I suppose you can then print them off from your computer. What about to a “Kindle?” Thx Ros

Posted February 5, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

Hi cruisenuts, just saw your post, I have a kindle but it depends which version you have, the latest which is more like a tablet computer, it may be possible but I can’t do it on mine, which is about a year old now, I find subscription to clued up the best option :-)

• cruisenuts96
          Posted February 9, 2012 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

Thx Mary

5. Posted February 4, 2012 at 10:13 am | Permalink

Took while to start then all flowed nicely. Loved 24a .thanks

6. SpikeyMikey
    Posted February 4, 2012 at 10:42 am | Permalink

All done bar 23a – just cannot fathom it – any hints would be welcome :-)

• Prolixic
      Posted February 4, 2012 at 10:47 am | Permalink

Take the even numbered letters from the phrase “priest-like” to get a word meaning join again.

• SpikeyMikey
        Posted February 4, 2012 at 11:11 am | Permalink

Thank you – that was a d’oh moment – didn’t twig the ‘even’. Now all done. Enjoyed this one – some good teasers and word play. Liked 9d and 16a

Posted February 4, 2012 at 10:52 am | Permalink

Enjoyed today’s, had what for me was a nice mixture of clues esp loved 15a and 24a.
    Thx to the setter. Would love to write more but am currently fighting off the attentions of a demanding greyhound that wants a fuss!

8. Posted February 4, 2012 at 11:05 am | Permalink

A little trickier than recent Saturdays but good fun.

Favourites are 12a, 16a and 26a.

Thanks to setter and to BD for the video – I haven’t seen Popeye for years!

Posted February 4, 2012 at 11:07 am | Permalink

I haven’t got any video of popeye????

• SpikeyMikey
        Posted February 4, 2012 at 11:13 am | Permalink

Hint for 5d

Posted February 4, 2012 at 11:17 am | Permalink

No, SM just a blank white space on my computer :-(

• Posted February 4, 2012 at 11:37 am | Permalink

That sometimes happens to me. Try reloading the page.

Posted February 4, 2012 at 11:41 am | Permalink

Thanks pommers, have done but no Popeye! never mind, now I can’t get the song out of my head :-D

• Dinosaur Pete
                Posted February 5, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

Just clicked on the “compatability” button for the first time ever and ……. bingo ! Up popped Poppeye ! At last I know how to get rid of the blank spaces, so thank you Pommers.

Posted February 5, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

where’s the compatability button, I have another blank space today, it’s only happened since I upgraded internet explorer!

• Posted February 5, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

Between the magnifying glass and the refresh button in the http address box

Posted February 5, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

Thanks Dave but I haven’t got one! Never mind I’ll look on the android :-)

• Posted February 5, 2012 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

Better still, sack IE and use Firefox!

• Posted February 5, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

Try pressing F12 and then selecting from the “Browser Mode” menu.

Posted February 5, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

Did that Dave and got a load of gobbledegook! Just got it now though from tool drop down menu as pommers suggested :-) thanks for help

• Posted February 5, 2012 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

Which version of IE are you using?

Posted February 5, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

8 I think

• Posted February 5, 2012 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

I’m using IE9 (and I still don’t like it!)

Posted February 5, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

maybe it is 9 then, one of my sons upgraded it for me this week, up til then I’d had no problems with any of the videos!

• Posted February 5, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

Or click ‘tools’ and you’ll find ‘compatabity view’ about halfway down the drop-down menu.

Posted February 5, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

Yes, thanks pommers, have found it there and added the site to it and hey presto there’s the video, thank you :-)

• Dinosaur Pete
                    Posted February 5, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

Hi Mary, on my infernal machine it’s the “button” with what looks like a torn piece of paper on it – at the very top, two to the left of the little red cross and just to the right of where you can type in addresses.
                    Hey ! what it is to be able to answer a question about computers !!! I wish !

Posted February 5, 2012 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

Hi pete sorted now but had to do it the pommers way thanks :-)

• Posted February 4, 2012 at 11:42 am | Permalink

Which browser do you use? It works OK in FireFox.

Posted February 4, 2012 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Internet explorer, I’ll see if its on my android, that’s safari

Posted February 4, 2012 at 11:52 am | Permalink

Yes can get it on the android using safari :-)

• Captain Lethargy
              Posted February 4, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

I use IE and I’m getting Popeye. Maybe it’s a flash problem.

9. mary
    Posted February 4, 2012 at 11:16 am | Permalink

Morning Dave, I found this a bit tough for a Saturday, may just be me! at least three stars for me, as for 3d, we certainly don’t do that to our cars, houses etc. in this part of the country!! Two fav clues today 10a and 9d, not too easy today IMHO but where there’s a will etc…….. perservation once again, the name of the game :-)
    In 26a are we using the last two letters of Bismarck or using a ‘c’ for about with the ‘k’ from Bismarck?

• TimCypher
      Posted February 4, 2012 at 11:33 am | Permalink

I interpreted it as the second of the two, Mary :)

Posted February 4, 2012 at 11:40 am | Permalink

Hi Tim, yes I did at first and then thought well, it could be either or could it? :-)

• Posted February 4, 2012 at 11:48 am | Permalink

Not really Mary. It would be a bit naughty to use END (singular) to indicate the last 2 letter and in that case the word ABOUT would indicate that the anagram goes around the CK.

The clue only works if you take ANAGRAM + C + K.

Posted February 4, 2012 at 11:50 am | Permalink

you are quite right of course pommers :-)

Posted February 4, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

Careful, pommers! Or is the Naughty Corner closed for the weekend due to the bad weather?

Posted February 4, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

If it’s got heating, I will be finding an excuse for going there. Am about to make some cakes, I’ll bring them with me. :D

Posted February 4, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

I’ll bring the cawl :-D, bring your own bowls and spoons :-)

• Posted February 4, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Permalink

Cawl?

Posted February 4, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

Yes collywobs, a traditional Welsh dish, now be careful!

Posted February 4, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

I think he’s ok here Franco, but the cakes sound good :-)

Posted February 4, 2012 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

I thought it was a flagrant breach of the rules!! :grin:

“Please don’t put whole or partial answers or alternative clues in your comment, else they may be censored!”

BD is becoming too soft! Off with his head!!!

Posted February 4, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

Off now to watch the Rugby! Given up on the cricket – Pakistan might as well declare now – England will never get the runs!

(However, if they had been playing in Pakistan…………)

• Posted February 4, 2012 at 11:52 am | Permalink

Come to think of it I miscounted the letters in the anagram fodder and spent a couple of minutes trying to put the anagram about the K before I realised I was a letter short! D’oh!

Posted February 4, 2012 at 11:56 am | Permalink

I also did that but I was OK because I took the ck off Bismarck!! wrongly of course :-)

• Posted February 4, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

Sometimes, the Gods, they smile upon you :grin:

10. Posted February 4, 2012 at 11:19 am | Permalink

Good Saturday sport! My CotD would be 8d for the double deception. Off to London to see Billy Elliot – hope the snow stays away!

Posted February 4, 2012 at 11:25 am | Permalink

Have a good time Digby see you Monday :-)

• Weekend wanda
      Posted February 5, 2012 at 9:22 am | Permalink

It didn’t. Hope you got there – and back

11. TimCypher
    Posted February 4, 2012 at 11:31 am | Permalink

Like last Saturday, this was a fun solve in the car journey home back from the airport.
    Having just got back through the door, I had a completed grid aside from 8d, so I definitely needed the hint for that. Having heard neither of that romantic pairing, nor the bush, I’m not going to beat myself up for not getting it.
    4d was my favourite clue – took an age for the penny to drop for some reason, but, when it did, it came with a smile. :)
    Thanks to setter and BD for the 8d hint… 8)

12. Captain Lethargy
    Posted February 4, 2012 at 11:38 am | Permalink

A bit of a welcome relief after some of this weeks puzzles. Why is the prize crossword usually the easiest? Well compared to Thursdays. Faves today were 8d and 16a but it was a lovely balanced piece of work. Thanks to BD and setter.

13. mary
    Posted February 4, 2012 at 11:44 am | Permalink

Weather here today is very cold, damp threatening to snow, forecast is for it to turn to rain, preferable as far as I’m concerned, just the right day for hot cawl (pronounced cowl) with warm roll and cheese, problem is I have to make it!

• Posted February 4, 2012 at 11:56 am | Permalink

It’s beautiful and sunny here but only 7C which is freezing by Spanish standards for this time of day! Off to town now for a look at the market and get a warming hot chocolate with brandy in it! :grin:

Posted February 4, 2012 at 11:57 am | Permalink

sounds good to me!

• Lea
        Posted February 4, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

I can imagine 7c being cold for you – would be warm for us with the temps below freezing at the moment. Still the sun is shining so that is something – enjoy the market (and the brandy!!)

• Captain Lethargy
        Posted February 4, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

Beautiful and sunny in East Kent but very cold. Mrs L has de-iced bird bath three times.

Posted February 4, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

Is it true that hot water freezes faster than cold water?

• Posted February 4, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

Yes it does but there is no known scientific reason for it – see Wickepedia

• Lea
      Posted February 4, 2012 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

That sounds wonderful (apart from having to make it). Haven’t been out as yet – sun is shining but it has that hazy look. Not far from here (in Chesham) the temp last night was -11 and we have snow forecast – hope it stays away.

Posted February 4, 2012 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

No sun here today Lea :-(

Posted February 4, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

I do’t know about 7C but I just went out to the shed to get some onions and the outside thermometer says it is -5!! Lots of snow in our village but not much when you get a mile up the road.

It took me a while to get started on this one – I think the grey matter is frozen – but I finished in a fairly straightforward time and enjoyed myself. Thanks to the setter (Iam I right in thinking this is a Cephas week?) and to BD too.

I recommend the NTSPP which is particularly relevant today..

• Lea
      Posted February 4, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

CS – whcih village are you in? Haven’t got hold of family but they are in Sevenoaks at the moment – soon to move to Hlidenborough so wondered if it was snow around them

Posted February 4, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

I am in East Kent, on the border with Thanet. And before Gnomey starts (if he has a spare moment in between his work today) I am definitely not in Thanet :)

• Lea
          Posted February 4, 2012 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

OK thanks – long way away so they might be okay.

Posted February 4, 2012 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

Where is Gnomey anyway – bad head maybe???

Posted February 4, 2012 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

he did say yesterday that he had to work today – it was only luck that he didn’t have to work last Saturday and was able to make it to Little Venice. Mind you he could have a headache too as I would imagine Lemsip/beer/red wine and curry would be a powerful combination even if you hadn’t had a heavy cold all week. :D

• Posted February 4, 2012 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

Sue’s got it right – a powerfuul combination indeed! My head didn’t help this crossword one little bit!
              I don’t even have the energy for an Island joke!

Posted February 4, 2012 at 6:03 pm | Permalink

Poor lad. Just don’t forget that you are the one who has to blog this one when you get your energy and head back in the right place.

Posted February 4, 2012 at 10:23 pm | Permalink

Poor you – an early night and no booze and you’ll feel better tomorrow. :smile:

• Posted February 4, 2012 at 11:02 pm | Permalink

Err – a bit too late and boozy (me and my twin’s party) for that! Ventus Secundus!

• Posted February 4, 2012 at 11:07 pm | Permalink

Hi Gnomey, sounds like a good brthday thrash. Like the indoor Olympics idea – we used to do similar at “early doors” on a Friday once a month in the local, including bar billiards. pool, darts and indoor bowls’ if we could be arsed to move all the tables!

Have a lie-in tomorrow, it’s Sunday :smile:

Posted February 5, 2012 at 11:13 am | Permalink

There are two of you?? :-)

Posted February 5, 2012 at 11:34 am | Permalink

Belated birthday greetings to you (and your twin). I’m reminded of the story of Mike and Bernie Winters’ appearance at the Glasgow Empire. After one of them had been cavorting round the stage for several minutes to general disdain the other brother poked his head through the curtains to hear a cry from the audience of “O God, there’s another one!”. :D

• Posted February 5, 2012 at 11:59 am | Permalink

Cheers gazza, he got the good looks and talent!

• Captain Lethargy
          Posted February 4, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

I’m in Thanet and no snow here. Sunny and very cold.

15. Toadson
    Posted February 4, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

Not a bad week, but gave up on Thursday. Liked 3d and 17d today. The weed in 15d was new to me – I was only aware of the edible version. Have a good weekend all.

Posted February 4, 2012 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

You too :-)

Posted February 4, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

I thought that I had a couple of problems in the bottom left corner – it turned out that I DIDN’T and was just being a bit on the dim side. With first, third and last letters in 19d looked SO unlikely that I thought I’d gone wrong and then 26a also looked pretty impossible then the brain woke up (unfroze probably) and all was fine. I took a while to understand how “Lear” got into 17d – rather stupidly I was thinking of Shakespeare’s “Lear”!! Anyway I’ve finished now and really enjoyed it. My absolutely favourite clue was 18a – a wonderful mental picture!! Others that I also enjoyed include 10 and 16a and 2, 4, 8 and 21d. With thanks to today’s setter and to BD.

-8.5C in Oxford last night – only just above freezing now and looks as if it might snow. :sad: I think it’s a day for a very early afternoon collie walk (get it over with!) then come home, light fire and have a go at the NTSPP. :smile: Hope everyone has a good weekend and keeps warm.

• Pam
      Posted February 4, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

I had he wrong Leat too! Thanks for the hint.
      I’m still only about half way but persevering.
      Any hints please for 9d and 16a?

• Posted February 4, 2012 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

Hi Pam

16a It’s the first letters of persistent offender robbing followed by a bank to give what these offenders get if they’re caught.

9d is a double definition.

Can’t really say more as I’ve been risking the naughty corner already this morning!

Posted February 4, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

16a – the solution is a slang term for what bank robbers have to endure once convicted.

Posted February 4, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

The inferior types in 9d might be part of your family that are not as well off as you

• Posted February 4, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

Careful Mary – we’re both on thin ice today!

Posted February 4, 2012 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

The cake will be out of the oven at 3 – cherry and sultana.

Posted February 4, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

cawl ready at three too :-), so if we are banished we’ll be well fed

• Posted February 4, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

I’ll bring some churros :smile:

• andy
              Posted February 4, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

Ooh yummy. If it’s half as good as the birthday fruitcake I might just have to break the rules and come and join you all…..

Posted February 4, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

It is different but equally as good. I have already banned Son No 1 from touching it as he tends to take rather large ‘slices’.

• andy
                  Posted February 4, 2012 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

I like his style! Take it as a compliment, forget Mary Berry or whatever her name is, your cakes surpass all. I see a potential lucrative sideline business…..

Posted February 4, 2012 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the compliment. I can’t decide whether to go for pro-crossword testing or cake makiing or a bit of both when I actually get to retire.

• andy
                      Posted February 4, 2012 at 6:28 pm | Permalink

Both Sue, but for me the cake – you already have me as a customer! When I get to retire it will take my entire strength to open a bottle of sanatogen

• Prolixic
                      Posted February 4, 2012 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

Or even setting!

Posted February 4, 2012 at 6:55 pm | Permalink

Definitely not setting – there are setters who can’t solve and solvers who can’t set (well this one can’t anyway).

Posted February 4, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

I think we’re OK so far pommers, I’m sure we’d have been deleted by now otherwise :-)

Posted February 4, 2012 at 10:25 pm | Permalink

What do you mean – YOU don’t have any ice!!! We’re the ones with the snow and ice!!

• Posted February 4, 2012 at 10:31 pm | Permalink

Had a ***** this morning so I went back to bed for a couple of hours! I was talking about the naughty corner but I’ve eaten all the churros now!

Don’t know how pommette’s getting on in Blighty – she’s supposed to be travelling from Mansfield to Bridgenorth this afternoon and from what I’ve seen on the telly it don’t look promising!

• Posted February 4, 2012 at 10:37 pm | Permalink

The ***** is supposed to say ****** but it’s a password I used to use so my bloody over-zealous firewall blocks it! I’ve put a space in the word this time so it should go through!

• Posted February 4, 2012 at 10:38 pm | Permalink

That didn’t work! Too bloody clever for it’s own good IMHO! Lets try *********.

• Posted February 4, 2012 at 10:41 pm | Permalink

God God! I was only trying to say a bit of the white icy stuff you get on cold mornings! Don’t you just hate it when the technology thinks it’s boss? And what the hell does “bad command or file name” mean?

• Weekend wanda
                Posted February 5, 2012 at 11:00 am | Permalink

Mansfieldis never promising. It can be deep snow there when all around. Am sitting in relative warmth watching myriads of sledgers in Woodthorpe Park and listening to the Archers.

• Pam
          Posted February 4, 2012 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

Thanks. Got those two. My favourite so far is 8d. It made me smile!

17. Posted February 4, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable. Thanks to BD for the hints

Posted February 4, 2012 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

Most gentle, but most enjoyable. I thought there were some good clues in this one today.
    Thank you to setter, and to BD.

19. Posted February 4, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

Piquant in places but mild overall. Thanks to the Mysteron & to BD. Time for a crack at the NTSPP before the England game.

I had a chance to go but I think, given the cold, I’m glad I decided to stay in the warmth as an armchair back.

20. andy
    Posted February 4, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

A tad trickier for me than recent Saturdays, though some lovely D’oh moments. Clouding over here in Peterborough, very cold. 4d was last to parse and was my Favourite. Thanks to BD and setter

• andy
      Posted February 4, 2012 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

Just started snowing here, like Kath i walked thedog early, much to his chagrin as he was fast asleep and spoiled his routine.

Posted February 4, 2012 at 10:29 pm | Permalink

Don’t they just hate it when THEIR routine is upset – well at least our lovely girl does – she looks at me as if I’ve gone mad and I can almost see her tapping at her watch and saying “WHAT kind of time is this?”!!

• Posted February 4, 2012 at 10:33 pm | Permalink

Our cats are the same about feeding time – has to be exactly 1700! They get a bit miffed when we move the clocks and it takes them about 10 days to get used to it!

21. Little Dave
    Posted February 4, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

Very chilly east Hertfordshire. Sky looking ominous! All done save 3d, 9d and 13a – late start but persevering.

Posted February 4, 2012 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

some hints above for 9d LD, let us know if you need any help

Posted February 4, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

Little Dave,

3d – there’s a homophone in there somewhere – “…according to report ..”

Posted February 4, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

But quite a poor one IMHO? at least it doesn’t sound anything like the way we say it here :-)

• Posted February 4, 2012 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

Do any of the homophones that work in the rest of the kingdom work in your part of Wales?

Posted February 4, 2012 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

Some of them do, but does this one work in other areas, it sounds quite a posh way of saying it to me

Posted February 4, 2012 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

As we say it it has three syllables :-)

22. Denis
    Posted February 4, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

Greetings all,
    Had to do a survey this morning at 8 am. it was -4c got back to Cheadle Hulme at 11, had a sausage buttie, did the crossword, interupted by my dads phonecall about how to work his sky remote control and having to get the book out to identify that bird in the garden( female stonechat). Now it’s snowing and I know I will be poorly in the morning.I’ve got a Burns’ Night supper to attend tonight.

Thankfully there is always the amber fluid.

I enjoyed todays crossword, Last one in was 23a. I Liked 14a with the “double use” applied to abbreviation and the two wheeler.

Thanks to the setter and B. D.

Regards,

Denis

Posted February 4, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

Is it the snow that will make you poorly Denis or the amber fluid? :-)

• Denis
        Posted February 4, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

Alas, it will be the amber fluid ( Oban for choice ) plus perhaps an excess of the chieften o’ the pudden race of which I have a great fondness.

Remember me in your prayers tomorrow.

Regards,

D. D.

Posted February 4, 2012 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

Enjoy anyway :-)

23. Rod Ash
    Posted February 4, 2012 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

Afternoon all from a now white Leeds. This was solved quickly long before the snow arrived. I found this puzzle a little strange because I instinctively knew a couple of the answers and then took some time to work out the full clue! 19d being a case in point…still not convinced about the clue even with Dave’s explanation above. 20a has 2 anogram solutions…but only one fits. I did like 14a, 26a and 7d.

24. Little Dave
    Posted February 4, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

Uuuuurmm! Not sure 9d works? Am I missing something? 20a provided two possible answers. 3d also a tad week or am I not “in tune”. Snowing at the Hawthorns – my team taking on the mighty Swansea today. Still very cold – off to exercise so back later.

Posted February 4, 2012 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

Come on the Swans :-) , I agree re 3d, 9d does work,at least I think it does, 20a surely only one answer will fit though?

25. Anncantab
    Posted February 4, 2012 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable puzzle today, got 24a first as I was at school with one of his descendants.
    I always feel stupid asking for help after reading so many other comments , none of which refer to the one clue I am unsure of : 7d. Is the answer someone in charge of a unit at a boarding school ? if so, why?

Posted February 4, 2012 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

Yes they could be Anncantab, it’s an anagram of mothers issues indicated by ‘resolving’

• Anncantab
        Posted February 4, 2012 at 7:04 pm | Permalink

Thanks, I thought it was an anagram first of all, but couldn’t make anything of it. The second half i had, but could only fit toast in for the first part!

• Captain Lethargy
          Posted February 4, 2012 at 8:17 pm | Permalink

That was the last clue I got in. I thought it was hard as well – until I realised the anagram.

• andy
      Posted February 4, 2012 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

I used to feel stupid too anncantab, but one of the many virtues of this site is that no one is deemed stupid and you always get assistance. I always think it’s just a case of asking the question because I am sure there are lurkers or otherwise grateful for a hint.

Posted February 4, 2012 at 10:34 pm | Permalink

I always used to feel stupid too but have never been made to feel so, even when I AM being very dim!! It’s one of the really good things about this blog – there are, of course, lots of other good things about it! :smile: so thanks to all who make it so wonderful.

• cruisenuts96
      Posted February 5, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

Me too Anncantab. Struggling with13a 20a and 21 down.

• cruisenuts96
        Posted February 5, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

Got them now Derrh!!

26. Annidrum
    Posted February 4, 2012 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

Can anyone explain 17d to me? I’ve got the answer but can’t see it. Lear ,if not Shakespeare or jet???

• Posted February 4, 2012 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

Hi Annidrum

17d is the colour of the boat in the Lear poem and it’s a common crosswordland word for write about a word meaning to match.

• Annidrum
        Posted February 4, 2012 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

Oh thanks Pommers ,of course. Forgot about Edward . I shouldn’t have as an ex (mucho tiempo ex) primary school teacher .

• andy
          Posted February 4, 2012 at 5:50 pm | Permalink

I too took a while to get the connection, Answer was in but wasn’t sure why, D’oh moment, one of many today!!

• Addicted
            Posted February 4, 2012 at 7:10 pm | Permalink

Thanks all – it was the one I couldn’t explain!!

• Dinosaur Pete
        Posted February 5, 2012 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

Thanks Pommers (again today !) for helping with my last one, and to you Annidrum for asking and saving my hair from further scratching !
        First time I’ve finished one for ages, now to freeze while walking the dog who looks far too comfortable curled up asleep !

27. hippy ajs
    Posted February 4, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

Not having a good dat today…..brain must be frozen. Any hints for 14a, 18a and 15d would be helpful.

• Posted February 4, 2012 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

14a – you need a two wheeled vehicle with P(ower) inserted to give a word meaning cleaned ( a floor?).

18a – OK naughty corner here I come! “Mum as in quiet rather than parent” should be enough to put you on the right track.

15d – Put a usual insect in a word for ordinary and you get a weed which I thought was a banana!

• hippy ajs
        Posted February 4, 2012 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

Thanks…..finished now I can enjoy the rugby15d are two different things both with the same name, one from the tropics and one from northern temperate areas

28. Posted February 4, 2012 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

Managed to do at least half despite competing with the tv noise then succumbed to looking at the hints – many thanks Big Dave. Left with 20, 21 and 27 to go and would be very grateeful for a nudge in the right direction. I feel sure 20 is an anagram and have two letters in place, is there an idiot corner opposite the naughty corner :-), you’ll find me there! Wondering if 21 is the name of a store that collapsed a while ago but if so, don’t understand why.

• Posted February 4, 2012 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

Hi Dawn

21d is the name of the store, put a phrase meaning not much (1,3) inside something that a Derby is an example of and you get the word meaning environment.

20 is an anagram, as you say, and he’s a guide in the Himalayas.

There is a “Stupid Step”, where I have spent considerable time, but not today as I’m now off to watch the rugby from the naughty corner!

• Posted February 4, 2012 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

Thanks Pommers, now finished and off to the Stupid Step as I should have seen 20 after putting in 21. I’m taking apple and date cake to munch on, there’s plenty to share :D

• Posted February 8, 2012 at 6:26 pm | Permalink

I never did get 27a HELP

• Posted February 8, 2012 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

Sorry! It’s a double definition. A word meaning to teach or coach is also several things all joined up one after the other (in sucession).

29. Franco
    Posted February 4, 2012 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

hippy ajs,

14a – The solution is “cleaned up”. Have you ever ridden a Vespa with power?

• Tmdess
      Posted February 4, 2012 at 7:58 pm | Permalink

Can anyone help with 11a and 16a — the only two I can’t get!

Also, what is a “sausage buddie”?

Thanks!

• Prolixic
        Posted February 4, 2012 at 8:05 pm | Permalink

11a. You need a nautical word for left followed by a word meaning paper to give a word that describes what a minster of state is responsible for.

16a. Take the initial letters of persistent offenders robbing and then add a word meaning bank (as in a geological feature) to get something that such offenders might receive (a slang word) if caught.

Cannot help with sausage buddies.

• Tmdess
          Posted February 4, 2012 at 8:09 pm | Permalink

Thanks! Someone early in today’s comments mentioned eating, I think, a sausage (or bacon?) buddie. Just curious…

Posted February 4, 2012 at 10:38 pm | Permalink

Don’t remember the comment or who wrote it – perhaps a sausage (or bacon) BUTTIE?!! Probably a “typo” (or perhaps you should have gone to “Specsavers”)!!! :grin:

• Caroline
            Posted February 4, 2012 at 10:51 pm | Permalink

A buttie is a sandwich! Chip butties are best! A sausage buttie might just be a sausage wrapped on one piece of bread.

• Posted February 4, 2012 at 10:56 pm | Permalink

Thick slices of crusty bread with lashings of butter and home-made crispy chips with a little salt and vinegar! Suddenly the sea bass dinner seems a long time ago! Might have to do a piece of toast!

• Posted February 4, 2012 at 11:58 pm | Permalink

According to Ken Dodd there is a jam butty mine in my home town.

Posted February 5, 2012 at 12:23 am | Permalink

By Jove – completely Discomknockerated! :wink:

30. Derek
    Posted February 4, 2012 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

Got the DT just after lunch – had to walk carefully on the trodden snow to the shopping street – also got in enough food to avoid going out again for a day or two.

Not a difficult puzzle today.
    Faves : 16a, 20a, 24a, 26a, 2d, 8d, 17d & 19d.

Grilled pork fillet with apple mousse tonight then blueberries and cream. The apples came from my daughter’s garden – I have tons of the mousse in the deep freeze so must get one box out to thaw.
    Bordeaux for a change!

• andy
      Posted February 4, 2012 at 6:01 pm | Permalink

It’s lamb shanks here tonight, but I wish I could have some of Cryptic Sues cake for Dessert, I’ve not defrosted anything!!

• Posted February 4, 2012 at 6:38 pm | Permalink

Baked sea bass with wild mushroom/wine sauce here along with a bottle of white Rioja! Yummy :smile:

• andy
          Posted February 4, 2012 at 6:52 pm | Permalink

oh bu££er, i love pork fillet AND sea bass, and my lamb shaby 13 to 5nks are not ready until nine. Salivating! England Rugby 13 to 6, that is why i think for a while will ignore cricket. Now pub!!

• Derek
          Posted February 4, 2012 at 7:18 pm | Permalink

1. I love Rioja – I spent a lot of time in Espagña.
          2. BTW Pommers you can get the book on Haggis that I mentioned to you earlier from alibri.com.-2nd. edition in new condition.

31. Posted February 4, 2012 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

Quality,quality quality all the way. Thanks to B Dave and the Setter woof woof

Posted February 4, 2012 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter & Big Dave the hints. I really struggled with this, not on the setter’s wavelength. Any help with 17& 22d would be appreciated.

Posted February 4, 2012 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

17d – Edward Lear – a famous couple who went to sea In a beautiful ……….boat!

The Gooners were lucky today!!!!!

• Heno
        Posted February 4, 2012 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

Thanks Franco, got it now. How about 22d? Gooners were great, we missed the last goal, left with 30 seconds to go. Have to watch MOTD now :-)

• Heno
          Posted February 4, 2012 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

Got 22d now, just had proof of Gnome’s Law

Posted February 4, 2012 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

The last goal was scored by {teary} + {ennui} = {Thierry Henry}?

Last Wednesday’s Pun!

Posted February 4, 2012 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

Heno, you’re not the only one who missed the last goal – apparently M. Arsène Wenger didn’t see it either! :cool:

• Heno
            Posted February 4, 2012 at 7:52 pm | Permalink

Not bad, three appearances as sub & 2 goals. I like your comment on Wenger, very droll :-)

Posted February 4, 2012 at 10:41 pm | Permalink

Bored with football now ……. :sad:

Posted February 5, 2012 at 11:15 am | Permalink

love it :-)

• Posted February 4, 2012 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

Heno, if *** ** ** ***, it is *****n and change the last letter –

[Dawn, it doesn’t say anything about that in the clue!]

• Posted February 4, 2012 at 8:50 pm | Permalink

I’ll just move to the naught corner, sorry!

• Posted February 4, 2012 at 8:53 pm | Permalink

Go on admit it – you were hoping that there was still some of Crypticsue’s cake left over!

Posted February 4, 2012 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

There is about three quarters of today’s cake left but I am not letting it out of the tin! We might get snowed in and need rations :)

Posted February 4, 2012 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

Am I the only one who loved 18a? I thought it was really funny! :grin: Having a right royal battle with NTSPP – have got the relevant clue (13) but still only managed about half of it – feels more like a toughie to me – maybe it’s just an unfamiliar (to me at least) style. Will perservate for a while longer. No snow in Oxford, yet, but grit lorries whizzing around everywhere – makes me wonder what they know that we don’t!!

• Prolixic
      Posted February 4, 2012 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

The NTSPP is tough in places. Hints are available.

The snow is heading your way. It has just hit Egham.

Posted February 4, 2012 at 10:43 pm | Permalink

Thanks – snow has reached us – I’m heading for the NTSPP hints with about five clues that I can’t do and several that I can’t quite explain. On my way – be there in a minute!!

34. Sarah F
    Posted February 4, 2012 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

Dreich and windy here in Edinburgh. Very sluggish this morning, now watching Scotland heading for the usual glorious/heroic/etc defeat while doing the ironing, so will settle to the crossword later. Looks a goodie!

• Al
      Posted February 4, 2012 at 7:00 pm | Permalink

Also in Auld Reekie and did the crossword while watching the game. Found many of the clues a bit obscure today – 16a was awful!

35. Posted February 4, 2012 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

Oh well, not the best rugby match I’ve ever seen but at least England ground out the result – unlike the supposed cricketers who couldn’t grind an almond by the look of things :sad:

• Derek
      Posted February 4, 2012 at 7:23 pm | Permalink

Read my remark at post #30.

36. Pam
    Posted February 4, 2012 at 8:23 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Big Dave and all who gave clues, I have just finished.
    I have so seldom done so in the past that I’m really pleased with myself.
    Haven’t even looked at the Giant GK yet and I usually do it first!
    Stay warm all. My 2 granddaughters have gone to a concert in Birmingham
    tonight, to see . . . . . snow Patrol!

• Prolixic
      Posted February 4, 2012 at 8:29 pm | Permalink

Snow Patrol feature in todays NTSPP by Radler.

Posted February 4, 2012 at 8:37 pm | Permalink

Despite being an old miserable git, I’ve actually heard of Snow Patrol!

Chasing Cars

• Posted February 4, 2012 at 9:11 pm | Permalink

Didn’t realize you’re an old miserable git Franco! I’m practising to be a grumpy old man – pommette says I just need a bit more time :grin:

Posted February 4, 2012 at 9:19 pm | Permalink

Practice makes perfect! Keep trying!

• Posted February 4, 2012 at 9:27 pm | Permalink

I also have an ambition to become one of the “Idle Rich” – already halfway there, just need a load of money!

37. NotNero
    Posted February 4, 2012 at 9:00 pm | Permalink

Could someone please explain 3D and 5D. I have answers but I don’t understand the full clues.

Posted February 4, 2012 at 9:08 pm | Permalink

3d – say your answer out loud and see if it sounds like the sort of cover you have to take before you drive a car.

5d Split the answer 4,4 – the first bit means rushed or raced, put an N on the end of the second 4 letters and you get a word meaning deck or decorate.

• Posted February 4, 2012 at 9:08 pm | Permalink

Hi NotNero

3d – a homophone. These waters not far from land sound like to take out cover for your valuables or car..

5d – Can’t really say more than BD’s hint. The fighter’s in a bull ring – not the matador but one of the other guys. Synonym for moved fast followed by a word for deck, as in decorate, with last letter removed.

• NotNero
        Posted February 4, 2012 at 9:55 pm | Permalink

Many thanks, I am not being very bright tonight, I meant 4D and not 5D.

• Posted February 4, 2012 at 10:01 pm | Permalink

Ah, no pasa nada! :smile:

4d would be the abbreviation for the area of the country where Newcastle is (on Tyne, not the one near Stoke) followed by what you might say if you experienced a near miss to give you a male relative (son of your brother).

Posted February 4, 2012 at 10:16 pm | Permalink

Just typed “no pasa nada!” into Google Translate. Unfortunately, the “To: Language” was set to Welsh.

Result: “dim byd yn digwydd!” No wonder Mary didn’t understand the homophone in today’s 3d!

• Posted February 4, 2012 at 10:24 pm | Permalink

Phew! Bet that came as a surprise!
              It means (colloquially) “It doesn’t matter” or “don’t worry” but more literally “nothing is happening”. Perhaps Mary will tell us what that lot of gibberish means :smile:

Posted February 4, 2012 at 10:48 pm | Permalink

NOW look what you’ve done – you’ll be in the naughty corner for ever – you’re just after all the goodies because you can’t cook and Pomette is away!! :smile:

Posted February 5, 2012 at 11:11 am | Permalink

It means the same pommers, nothing is happening, I am not a fluent Welsh speaker, unfortunately, I like languages and find French and Spanish quite easy, also had a go at German and Italian, of all of them I find the Welsh language the hardest to learn and have never actually become a Welsh speaker to my shame! But I would know if someone was speaking about me! Understand quite a lot, although my grandfather was a fluent Welsh speaker and he lived with us, he never spoke Welsh in the house as no one else did, in primary school, we had Irish priests and nuns and always celebrated St Patricks day! It wasn’t until I went to Grammar School that I began to celebrate St Davids day!!!! In form 3 we had the choice of dropping Welsh or French, I chose to drop Welsh finding French much easier!

• NotNero
            Posted February 5, 2012 at 12:15 am | Permalink

Thanks again, it is obvious now you have told me

38. Posted February 4, 2012 at 11:12 pm | Permalink

Liked 24a – better than the ‘ fly cemetery’ way of cluing one of my favourite biscuits which was used a few months ago to get the same answer!

Off to bed now – see y’all tomorrow.

39. Tonyp17
    Posted February 4, 2012 at 11:29 pm | Permalink

Not had a chance to read the multitude of comments yet but have to say I am really struggling today.

The long anagrams at 7d and 28a got me started but that seems to be it for now.

Will look at a few of BD’s hints and see if they help. Hopefully they will.

As ever this page has been very busy today.

40. Weekend wanda
    Posted February 5, 2012 at 11:29 am | Permalink

Enjoyed this. Got l in end. NE last to go in. Would have helped had I not been fixated on tornado got 5d. Wrong number of letters! I agree with one blogger about instinctively knowing the answer to some without knowing why. I was the same the other day with “throwing the baby out with the bath water” before I had worked out the anagram thanks to the surface reading. Number of favourites today but 24a takes the biscuit!

41. cruisenuts96
    Posted February 5, 2012 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

Enjoyable puzzle again thanks to all for hints. Struggled with13a/16a/20a/21d. Wondering whether to subscibe to the paper online. Any thoughts would be welcome.

Posted February 5, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

cruisenuts,
      Your comments are all being delayed and require moderation because you are transposing an “a” and “h” in your email address.

Posted February 5, 2012 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

If you just want the puzzles etc. just subscribe to ‘cluedup’

42. Posted February 8, 2012 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

Off quizzing now. Maybe back later to see who’s been around.

• andy
      Posted February 8, 2012 at 10:05 pm | Permalink

Pommers you made that comment on 26780, today 26783 they may not thin’re going back. Hope the quiz went OK

• Posted February 8, 2012 at 10:25 pm | Permalink

It’s been a long day! Won 3 bottles of wine so worth turning up!

• andy
          Posted February 8, 2012 at 10:51 pm | Permalink

Well worth turning up then. Just didn’t want you to disappoint your fans!