Hints and tips by Digby

BD Rating – Difficulty **Enjoyment ***

I get to review another Monday Rufus today, while Mme. Libellule’s recuperation continues. This one was typical of what we have come to expect – light and breezy, with nothing to get heated about. Enjoy it, and let us know what you think.

1a           Pirate and girl admitting love on ship (10)
{BARBAROSSA} Construct this pirate of the Barbary Coast from a girl’s name wrapped around O (love) and the standard abbreviation for ship.

9a           Stake in a buoyant economy (4)
{ANTE} This method of betting is hidden in the last 2 words of the clue. Bit of an old chestnut.

10a         Powerless supporter of sport (4-6)
{HANG-GLIDER} An unpowered contraption with which to get airborne. Personally I’d always want at least 2 engines!

11a         Doctor goes to hospital bearing material (6)
{MOHAIR} Abbreviation for doctor (military type) H(ospital) and bearing, as in demeanour, combine to make this product of the Angora goat.

12a         Saucy girl that accompanies travellers (7)
{BAGGAGE} Rufus’s twinkling eye in evidence here – a derogatory term for a lady is also what you try to stow in the aircraft cabin.

15a         There’s a tonic in eggs scrambled around mid-morning (7)
{GINSENG} This kind of tonic, which allegedly aids certain male functions, is an anagram (scrambled) of IN EGGS around the central letter of morNing.

16a         Female cob (5)
{HAZEL} Double definition – a girl’s name and large nut.

17a         Put out — nothing is fit for the job (2,2)
{UP TO} An anagram (out) of PUT followed by O gives an expression meaning that one is capable of the task in hand.

18a         In a zoo you may see one close up (4)
{SEAL} This marine mammal may be seen at the zoo, and also means to close – an envelope, for example.

19a         Stop, giving cold comfort (5)
{CEASE} A synonym for stop is derived from C(old) and a word meaning comfort, as in soothe the pain.

21a         Lean against counter where your shoes are repaired (4,3)
{HEEL BAR} “Lean” here is what a ship does in a turn; add the counter where you might buy a pint to get the kind of outlet you find on many stations and shopping centres.

22a         A decent reform carried out (7)
{ENACTED} Here we have an anagram (reform) of A DECENT giving a verb meaning carried out.

24a         Recommend about five different ideas (6)
{ADVISE} Another anagram (different) of IDEAS around Roman five produces a synonym for recommend.

27a         Cost in cafe outrageous — get take-away (10)
{CONSFISCATE} Like buses and policemen, they come in threes. The first 3 words of the clue are the fodder (outrageous) and produce a word meaning to take away – like the teacher did to your catapult!?

28a         Vessels of the Royal Navy in America (4)
{URNS} Two standard abbreviations, the first embedded in the second, produce these (Grecian?) vessels.

29a         Deadly sin spreading round N American place of entertainment (10)
{DISNEYLAND} Another anagram (spreading) of the preceding 2 words, round “N” produces this alleged US place of entertainment.  There is another one outside Paris, in which I’m pleased not to have bought shares.

2d           A mother and father to all (4)
{ADAM} A, and a word for mother, combine to find Eve’s mate.

3d           Important person giving important lecture (6)
{BIGWIG} An expression for a VIP is made up of rhyming words for important and lecture (as in tell-off)

4d           He introduced Virginia to Elizabeth (7)
{RALEIGH} I don’t believe that this explorer ever took his monarch there, but he did bring back the leaf that many people smoke. It didn’t kill him, coming as he did to a more abrupt end.

5d           Such pomposity is not a front (4)
{SIDE} A word meaning pomposity is not at the front – or the back!

6d           High-flown writings (7)
{AIRMAIL} The kind of letter that you typically write on thin blue paper.

7d           Battle that led to union? (10)
{ENGAGEMENT} The point at which two armies confront each other is also the romantic step that usually precedes marriage.

8d           Pull leg about being found in bed that’s untidy (10)
{BEDRAGGLED} A 4-letter word for pull, followed by an anagram (about) of LEG all set inside BED make a word for untidy. Like that piece of “art” by Tracy Emin?

12d         Purchased a young animal, fleeced (6,1,3)
{BOUGHT A PUP} This expression could also work with the antonym of purchased, but in this case follow another word for this with “A” young animal. Fleeced as in “ripped-off”.

13d         Start work at the mill? (3,7)
{GET WEAVING} An expression for starting work would be what you would do if you were employed in a woollen mill.

14d         Agree to differ, being passionate (5)
{EAGER} Anagram (to differ) of AGREE = passionate

15d         Gosh! South-Eastern birds (5)
{GEESE} An American expression for gosh, followed by the relevant compass point, provide these birds for whom Christmas comes too early.

19d         Garment paid for on receipt somewhere in Massachusetts (4,3)
{CAPE COD} The kind of garment worn by Batman, and an abbreviation for a payment method produce this vacation venue in New England.

20d         Possibly see unit as part of another unit (2,5)
{EN SUITE} An anagram (possibly) of SEE UNIT is what most hotel bedrooms include nowadays.

23d         Number clean out and scrub (6)
{CANCEL} A bit of Rufus’s RN jargon coming out – to “scrub round” is Naval slang for not doing something. Take a Roman numeral followed by an anagram (out) of CLEAN to derive a word meaning to postpone indefinitely.

25d         Antelopes — their turning up is celebrated (4)
{GNUS} Another chest-nutty offering. Take an expression for celebrated, often applied to a Mass in Church, and reverse it (turning up).

26d         Be striking in best uniform (4)
{STUN} To take one’s breath away is concealed in the last 2 words of the clue.

I managed to finish this before BD was up this morning – well, he did have an exhausting weekend, and has 181 comments from Saturday’s blog to review! About 1½ for difficulty, but as enjoyable as ever. Thanks Rufus.

The Quick crossword pun: {misses} + {hippy} = {Mississippi}

1. SpikeyMikey
    Posted January 30, 2012 at 10:19 am | Permalink

Felt like I was transported to a parallel universe with this today. Managed it all but had to do a bit of checking here and there. 12d was not a phrase I have heard of! Enjoyed it but it definitely left me feeling spaced out! Thanks to Rufus for the trip and thanks to Digby for the hints and tips!

• mary
      Posted January 30, 2012 at 10:24 am | Permalink

Me to SpikeyM with 12d, never heard of it either way!

• Jezza
        Posted January 30, 2012 at 10:31 am | Permalink

I had a lucky guess! – I was prepared to try ‘cub’ as an alternative if my first guess was rejected by the online site.

• Posted January 30, 2012 at 10:36 am | Permalink

The more usual expression, as alluded to by Digby, is “was sold a pup”

• SpikeyMikey
        Posted January 30, 2012 at 10:36 am | Permalink

Indeed – I was wandering round the house muttering ‘cub?’, ‘pup?’ It was my daughter who said ‘Dad! What planet are you on!!’ – I guessed pup :-)

• mary
          Posted January 30, 2012 at 10:39 am | Permalink

For a while I was thinking ‘well, is a ‘dud’ some kind of young animal that I’ve not heard of’, so I actually googled it to see!

• Posted January 30, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_in_a_poke I trust Wiki in matters such as this……..

Posted January 30, 2012 at 10:21 am | Permalink

Nothing too tricky, although I did have 25d the wrong way up for a while, until I realised there was no U in the anagram fodder of 27a.
    Thanks to Rufus, and to Digby.

• Posted January 30, 2012 at 10:32 am | Permalink

I was not sure which way up it went until I had 28a.

• mary
      Posted January 30, 2012 at 10:43 am | Permalink

At first, having completely forgotten about ‘gnus’ I opted for ‘suni’ which is a small type of deer, on reversing this and not geting any sensical answer, I convinced myself ‘suno’ must be the plural and if it was ‘celebrated’ it was ‘on us’!!!

• Brian
        Posted January 30, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

Reminded of that wonderful line from Flanders and Swann,” it’s gonother gnu”

3. Posted January 30, 2012 at 10:29 am | Permalink

Nice & gentle start to the week. No real problems. My favs 8d & 15d. Thanks to Rufus for being gentle with me and to Digby for the explanations.

4. mary
    Posted January 30, 2012 at 10:33 am | Permalink

Good morning Digby and thanks once again for the blog, although I didn’t need it, I found this a bit tougher than normal for Rufus today, and thought a few of the clues seemed ‘the wrong way round’ eg 25d, 19a, here I thought that the andswer was giving you the definition, if you know what I mean? I think a three star for me, my two favourite clues were 18a, last in! and 2d, simple but brilliant, also liked 13d but had never heard 12d even with the antonym, have fun everyone, I needed my ‘friends’ to help me out once again! :-D

• Posted January 30, 2012 at 10:44 am | Permalink

Hi Mary, I think that 19a reads logically, but I do agree that 26d could be confusing. I suppose we could have used the the Flanders & Swann clip either way!

• mary
        Posted January 30, 2012 at 10:54 am | Permalink

Hi Digby (although I got 19a) I read it as ‘cold comfort’ being the definition, i.e. a word for stop ‘giving’ ‘cold comfort’ not the other way round, if you see what I mean, I thought the definition had ‘to give’ the answer, I’m getting really muddled here, does anyone know what I mean?

• Posted January 30, 2012 at 11:11 am | Permalink

Does it really matter if you end up with the correct solution?

• Posted January 30, 2012 at 11:17 am | Permalink

There’s a whole day’s discussion in that question, Bifield ! The purists would argue that it does matter. I think I’ll defer to the Gaffer on this one – BD?

• mary
            Posted January 30, 2012 at 11:20 am | Permalink

As Digby says Bifield – BD? I think it does matter?

• Posted January 30, 2012 at 11:54 am | Permalink

It matters to me, and to many others. As Digby says, therein lies a long debate. Can you have a word used in the clue as an adjective to define a noun? I could go on …..

• Steve_the_beard
                Posted January 30, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

Please do! It’s time we had a little red book to go with the BRB – The thoughts of Chairman Big Dave, perhaps?

Posted January 30, 2012 at 11:28 am | Permalink

I think that Mary’s right. If you have a verb form in the clue that implies progression from A to B (e.g. giving, producing, leading to) then strictly speaking the wordplay (A) should lead to the definition (B), not the other way round.

• Roland
            Posted January 30, 2012 at 11:46 am | Permalink

My (wholly unqualified) opinion is that in this case “giving” is merely fodder to aid surface reading. In that case, I don’t see a problem with the clue.

• Posted January 30, 2012 at 11:52 am | Permalink

Roland, I’m not aware that any of us has a degree in Cruciverbalism, so all opinions are of equal merit, IMHO

• Posted January 30, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

I thought that the comma made it perfectly OK.

• Posted January 30, 2012 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

….but only within the context of it being a cryptic clue in a cryptic crossword compiled by one of the real legends of the business.

• mary
            Posted January 30, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

That’s exactly what I meant to say Gazza :-)

• Captain Lethargy
          Posted January 31, 2012 at 8:58 am | Permalink

Maybe the clue should have read Stop. Getting cold comfort?

5. Roland
    Posted January 30, 2012 at 11:20 am | Permalink

No probs with this today. Ref 12d, a common phrase to me, most often heard in reference to having bought (or been sold) a used car I think. Thanks to Rufus and Digby.

• SpikeyMikey
      Posted January 30, 2012 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

Well, you learn something new every day!

6. AnnB
    Posted January 30, 2012 at 11:29 am | Permalink

AS usual a nice start to week ,no problems.Thanks .Off for coffee cheers all

Posted January 30, 2012 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable thank you Rufus. My favourites were the two d’oh moments – 16a and 18a and I did like 4d too. Thanks to Digby for an excellent review too.

8. St. George
    Posted January 30, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

A three star for me I’m afraid, needed help especially with some of the more archaic terms ie. 12D Thanks to Digby!

• Posted January 30, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

BTW, St. George, the reason why your Avatar has changed is that you typed a “4” just before the “@” in your email address.

9. Mark the Newbie
    Posted January 30, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

OK … so at the end of lunch … I had 9 clues (A 15,19,22,24,27,28 / D 4,12,15) before referring to this most excellent resource. Bizarrely 12D was my first, and a vauge recollection from my history lessons at school gave me 4D.

Following your encouragement of last week, I feel that I am improving, only very slowly.

Thank you Digby and for all who contribute.

Posted January 30, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

We all started very slowly Mark – as Mary would say, just ‘perservate’ and you will gradually increase the number of clues solved before you have to look at the blog.

• mary
      Posted January 30, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

Yes Mark as sue says, keep perservating, it is well worth it, no-one started more slowly than I did a couple of years ago, but with perservation and help from this blog and all the bloggers on it, I also use my ‘friends’, you will gradually improve, there are very few days that I can solve without help in one form or another as lonf as you enjoy it keep at it :-)

10. Posted January 30, 2012 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

Good start to the week. Never heard or read 12a, more used to the shortened form. Best was 16a. Thanks to Digby & Rufus

11. Patsyann
    Posted January 30, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

Didn’t like 3d. I’ve heard of a wigging for a lecture, but not a wig. Other than that an enjoyable and gentle start to the week. Thanks to Digby and Rufus. (I think someone should tell advertisers on the space under the crossword that they must leave a bit of blank space for working out anagrams!)

• Posted January 30, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

While defintions should ideally be the same part of speech as the answer, to impose the same constraint on wordplay would make life almost impossible for the setter. Both Chambers and the ODE give wig, in this context, as a verb and not a noun.

12. mary
    Posted January 30, 2012 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

Has anyone seen Kath, not ‘heard’ from her for a couple of days, was she at the meeting Dave?

• Posted January 30, 2012 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

She wasn’t at the party – and never indicated that she would be there.

• Posted January 30, 2012 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

Thought she’d said something about a holiday?

13. wbgeddes
    Posted January 30, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

Ciao a tutti.

I thought this was 2* at best for enjoyment really. Too many soso anagrams and 4 letter answers of shoulder shrugging provenance.

I’m not sure whether 11A is really a material – is wool? Well yes, but you know what I’m saying.

29A is VG but apart from that I’d find it easier to name my least fav clues rather than my favourites.

Sorry to be a trye kicker.

Posted January 30, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

Really enjoyed today’s puzzle esp 10a and 16a both of which I thought were clever clues and they made me smile. Thx to the setter for a pleasent start to the week. Didn’t need the hints today but I appreciate the effort put into them so thx Digby.

15. Derek
    Posted January 30, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

An enjoyable puzzle from Rufus.

Faves : 1a, 10a, 16a, 27a, 29a, 4d, 7d, 12d, 19d & 20d.

Snow arrived in coastal NL today – must put on a winter shirt!

16. upthecreek
    Posted January 30, 2012 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

Some lovely clues and great moments, especially when I got 4d. Also liked 16, 18 and 29. Thanks to Rufus for the puzzle which will be my last for a few weeks.

17. Silveroak
    Posted January 30, 2012 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

Loved the puzzle, no real problems. 12a is an expression that was used a lot in the past I think. I finally figured out how to get this to show up in Facebook.

18. jampudd
    Posted January 30, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

went quite well for me today , however just could not see 1a at all ! although i pondered corsair for a while
    thanks to rufus and digby

19. mary
    Posted January 30, 2012 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

Snowing quite heavily at the moment, nothing on the ground as yet, can see lots of snow on the hills, yuck, I really hope it’s not going to get worse though it was forecast yesterday!!

20. Wayne
    Posted January 30, 2012 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

One very small point Digby, I think you’ve left out the ‘N’ in your Hint/Tip for 29a. The anagram described is only 9 letters. Just shows that I follow the hints/tips/explanations. Thanx to all as usual.

• Posted January 30, 2012 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

Thanks Wayne – good spot. Now corrected.

Posted January 30, 2012 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Rufus for the puzzle & to Digby for the review & hints. I enjoyed this one but I think it’s bordering on 3* for difficulty & 4* for enjoyment. Had a penny drop moment with 4d, when I realised what Virginia was about. Last in was 1a. Favourites were 19& 20d. Nice puzzle to start the week.

22. Weekend wanda
    Posted January 30, 2012 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

All good but struggled with top left. Last one in 2d and still kicking myself. I had not heard if the pirate and could not get beyond Barbarella! Got 12d straight away. Very familiar – more so than 13d although I hot it. Liked 16 a although it foxed me for a time largely because cob had so many meanings.

23. Posted January 30, 2012 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

Good review of a good puzzle.

Nothing else to say apart from thanks to Rufus and Digby.

24. Mr Tub
    Posted January 30, 2012 at 8:17 pm | Permalink

Always glad of the hints and tips on a Monday. I whizz through some clues and others I think I’ll never get until I read the review and then I kick myself. Thanks to Digby for the help and the setter for a lot of fun.

25. Posted January 31, 2012 at 1:24 am | Permalink

Just thought I’d post this to prove that I don’t do the occasional overnight blog on Wednesdays for any altruistic reasons. It’s just that I’m a night owl. Sometimes I just can’t get to sleep – must be lack of alcohol or something! It’s 0225CET here now and I’ve just spent the last 2 hours catching up on ‘Eggheads’ on the iPlayer – how sad is that?

I’m here now -but nobody else is so I might think about a kip. See y’all tomorrow.,.

26. Rufus
    Posted January 31, 2012 at 10:17 am | Permalink

Out of the office most of the day yesterday. Thanks Digby for an excellent blog! Especially liked the Flanders & Swan clip – when I was stationed at Lee on Solent in the FAA I used to pop up to London just to take in their shows (showing my age again).
    Further to my not flying in jets, there were none when I started. After training, I thought I was going to a Sea Venom (naval version of the Vampire) flight but the powers that were decided to modernise and change our leather helmets to proper bone domes and even add ejector seats. Unfortunately these had to be fitted in existing aircraft and I have long thighs. It was thought that, if I had to eject, I would finish without knees.
    I did enjoy the propeller and jet propeller aircraft . My first squadron was test flying the new anti-submarine Gannet before it was accepted for service. I later flew in the AEW version.
    Thanks for all the comments, I’ll try and do better!

• Posted January 31, 2012 at 10:34 am | Permalink

Always a delight to see you drop in, Rufus. I’m sure that all of the comments were well-meant, helpful suggestions. I defy anyone on this blog to get anywhere near your consistent and remarkable high standards – and delightful sense of humour! “See” you next week, as I will be tackling DT26,781.

27. Pookie
    Posted January 31, 2012 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

I got “gingers” for 15a that threw me on 8d – gingers being an anagram of eggs and the three middle letters of morning, but I suppose it isn’t a tonic as such. I had also not heard of Barbarossa as a pirate, but for me 12d was also the first in

• Posted January 31, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

Hi Pookie, I suppose that’s what makes crosswords in general – and this blog in particular – so interesting and “personal”. From the above comments it’s clear that 12d is a well known phrase or saying to about half the commentators, and virtually unknown to the rest. Regional? Age? Who knows?

28. Pookie
    Posted February 1, 2012 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

I get to do the puzzle only very late in the evening and to look at this blog the following day.

for me this was 2*, but i couldn’t get 9a, even with having a list of words, including acacia! that would fit – but as Digby said in response to my post yesterday about Monday’s puzzle, the individual brain is a marvellous thing!!

29. TimCypher
    Posted February 2, 2012 at 12:22 am | Permalink

This was a bit of a struggle for me – the right-hand side wasn’t too tricky, but I ended up chucking in the towel having failed to fathom the bulk of the NW corner. Checking the hints and answers, I don’t think I ever would have got them – wasn’t familiar with 1a’s pirate (too few checking letters even to hazard a guess), 10a, 11a, 3d and 5d seem to be pushing it for me.
    Good to see my guess for 4d was right, and I’m not sure whether I’m proud of getting 12a correct – another checking-letter-based guess – I’ve never heard of a lady described in that way before.
    Typical Rufus fare I’d say – some very good clues, mixed in with ones that just strike me as a bit on the weak side.