ST 2618 (Hints)

Sunday Telegraph Cryptic No 2618 (Hints)

Hints and tips by Big Dave

A full review of this puzzle will be published after the closing date for submissions

1a           Has potential to destroy, ultimately powerful (6)
A word meaning has potential followed by the final letter (ultimately) of destroY gives an adjective meaning powerful

10a         Threatening to execute you and me over outrage (9)
This adjective meaning threatening is derived by putting a two-letter verb meaning to execute and the objective pronoun representing you and me around (over)  an outrage or fury

12a         Extremely banal ceremonies, time after time (7)
To get this adjective meaning extremely banal put some ceremonies and T(ime) after T(ime)

25a         Part of Canada — one close to Victoria, note (7)
This province of Canada is a charade of someone very close to Queen Victoria and a musical note

29a         He wasn’t great as a baker! (6)
… as he burnt the cakes!

1d           Thoughtfully consider revision of text penned by partner (8)
A verb meaning to thoughtfully consider is created by putting a revision of text prior to publication inside (penned by) a partner

2d           Agent, in moving article, makes a bloomer (7)
Start with AGENT IN and move the A (indefinite article) to get a bloomer with blue flowers

3d           A number of TV series, perhaps, that could make me honest and good (5,4)
This musical number that might identify a TV series comes from an anagram (could make) of ME HONEST followed by G(ood)

19d         Some basic education in place of university (7)
One of the three Rs (some basic education) is also the name of a University in Berkshire

24d         Strongly recommend catching river fish (5)
Put a verb meaning to strongly recommend around (catching) R(iver) to get a fish

If you need further help then please ask and I will see what I can do.

Today it’s Happy Birthday to Brenda Lee (67)

Posted December 11, 2011 at 11:13 am | Permalink

I am so glad it is my turn to do the Sunday review again as this one was solved so quickly, I didn’t have a chance to enjoy all the lovely clues. Thanks to Virgilius for a great start to Sunday and to BD for the hints.

2. Rob Jan Wakefield
    Posted December 11, 2011 at 11:22 am | Permalink

26 across. *****. But why?

Robjan

• Posted December 11, 2011 at 11:44 am | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Robjan

Please read the request at the bottom of the post about not posting whole or partial answers.

You are right!

26a Material from friend, ultimately getting nothing for a change (5)
      This type of material is created by changing the final letter A of a Cockney friend into the letter representing nothing (getting nothing for A change)

• mary
        Posted December 11, 2011 at 11:48 am | Permalink

and seeing as I know very little cockney rhyming slang I’ll be a while :-)

• mary
          Posted December 11, 2011 at 11:48 am | Permalink

Duh of course I know this one!

3. Posted December 11, 2011 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Thoroughly enjoyable puzzle today, nice clues and a good work out. Thanks to Virgilius and B Dave for the hints.

4. upthecreek
    Posted December 11, 2011 at 11:28 am | Permalink

Most enjoyable but pretty easy today. Outstanding clue was 9 which I thought was brilliant. Altogether a good puzzle with many fine clues. Should be a big postbag.

5. mary
    Posted December 11, 2011 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Ooh all this rain must have dulled my brain, not finding this easy at all :-(

6. mary
    Posted December 11, 2011 at 11:50 am | Permalink

I really don’t understand how the answer for 28a works ?

• mary
      Posted December 11, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

Am going to come back to this later hopefully, all the internal doors being changed isnt helping my concentration, that’s my excuse for now anyway!

Posted December 11, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

Think ‘triple definition’ and see if that helps.

• mary
        Posted December 11, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

yes it does, thanks Sue :-)

Posted December 11, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

Another fine Sunday puzzle. I had a peculiar solving pattern today, where at one point, the whole of the right hand side was completed, and the left side was empty.
    The NW took me the longest, as I wanted to fit an anagram of ‘text’ in the middle of 1d!

Thanks to Virgilius, and to BD for the pointers.

• mary
      Posted December 11, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

I still do Jezza! :-)

• Posted December 11, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

As usual Jezza, I had exactly the same solving issues up to and includingf the ‘text’. The usual excellence from Virgilius, thanks to him and to BD.

• Posted December 11, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

Ditto for me too!
      Thanks to Virgilius and BD. Excellent puzzle and hints.

Posted December 11, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

Am I the only one for whom the whole thing just flowed very nicely from start to end?? I had quite a few of the acrosses filled in as I went down them, did the downs and then went back and filled in the gaps. Perhaps I was just in the “zone”.

• Posted December 11, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

My head hurts following company do in ******** – that’s my excuse!

Posted December 11, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

Does that mean I won’t be able to solve puzzles on Thursday then?? :D

• Posted December 11, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

Not sure – Are you going to ******** Thursday?

Posted December 11, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

No Canterbury on Wednesday!! Possibly, or even very likely, drinking several glasses of pink wine!

Posted December 11, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

This is beginning to remind me of the two old drunks on a train.

1st one “Is this Wembley”?
                2nd one “No, it’s Thursday”
                1st one “So am I – let’s go and have a drink”

• Posted December 11, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

I concur with the observation Kath, and it is ALL my fault!

• mary
                    Posted December 11, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

very noble of you gnomey :-D

• Posted December 11, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

Nothing to do with nobility, m’dear, it IS all my fault!

Posted December 11, 2011 at 9:39 pm | Permalink

Only joking! Absolutely NOT your fault!! :smile: the two old drunks just remind me of my Dad – he wasn’t an old drunk but he had a great repertoire of brief, silly and apt jokes.

• Franco
              Posted December 11, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Permalink

18a – Don’t mention ********.

Posted December 11, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

Well spotted Franco – the Gnome can have a hair of the dog with the mulled wine Mary left in the naughty corner :D

• Franco
      Posted December 11, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

I had the same experience. Right-hand side complete – left-hand side completely empty. How strange!

• Addicted
        Posted December 11, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

And me! Had to finally resort to the hints and once I had 1a I was off the block and soon finished. Some lovely clues to-day, I thought – liked 4a,18d and 9d, though it took me ages before the penny dropped. Thanks to setter – what a nice way to spend a thoroughly wet, miserable and damp Sunday afternoon!

• Addicted
          Posted December 11, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Permalink

Sorry, forgot my manners – thank you BD for the hints or I think I would still be staring at a blank left-hand side – was reading 1a entirely wrong.

Posted December 11, 2011 at 9:44 pm | Permalink

I spent ages trying to justify “mortal” for 1a – it didn’t work and was always clearly wrong but, having got it in my head, it took a while to get beyond it. Is it me or is the snow getting heavier around here? Might be the wine …

8. mary
    Posted December 11, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

OK after much perservating and with a little help from my ‘friends’ and a lot from Daves hints (thank you Dave) I have finished, excuses aside, I found this difficult today with at least a three star for me! fav clue 18a, good luck everyone, I needed it :-)

Posted December 11, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

I thought it was quite difficult too but until I came across this blog I could not do Sunday crosswords at all.

Posted December 11, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

Really enjoyed today’s. First look was a bit off putting but I pervervated and it came together nicely. Even learned a new word today, 15a, had to look it up in Chambers, not come across one of these before. Thx to Virgilius for a pleasent Sunday puzzle and to BD for the hints (wouldn’t have got 12a without the hint).

• mary
      Posted December 11, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

I thought 12a was very clever, well done Brian :-)

• Posted December 11, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

I’m not even going to comment on Brian’s neologism. Ooops! Too late!

Posted December 11, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

Naughty Gnomey – I would have been kind and edited out his typo, or would I?? :D

10. Franco
    Posted December 11, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Virgilius. Always my favourite of the week!

His surface readings are always so much smoother than those of most compilers – especially the Toughie Setters.

• Franco
      Posted December 11, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

Surface readings: for example – last Friday’s Toughie from Notabilis:-

28a Process less fat, accepting piece of data that backs precautions for the sedentary (6,5)

What is that all about? (OK – I can’t do Toughies!)

Posted December 11, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Permalink

Doesn’t the surface just mean:
        Eat less fatty foods, accepting the relevance of research that recommends those with a sedentary lifestyle to take precautions.
        ?

• Posted December 11, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

You’re quite right Gazza but I have to agree with Franco that the reading of the clue isn’t the greatest. However it’s a Toughie so you have to live with it sometimes.
          Personally I like the Monday puzzle for really smooth surfaces!

• Posted December 11, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

I thought it was fine per gazza’s rendition. Just wish I had more time to solve it on the day.

Posted December 11, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Permalink

I can’t do toughies either – might try to get the head round this one tomorrow …

11. spindrift
    Posted December 11, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

Cracking puzzle Grommet! Now it’s back to sorting the Crimbo lights out. Nought was ever done unless at some time it was first begun….

Posted December 11, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

I found some of this quite tricky – like several others did the right hand side easily enough and then took quite a while to do the left side, eventually ending up with about six that took longer than the whole of the rest of the puzzle. I couldn’t do 10a for ages, mainly because I was totally convinced that the first word of 3d had to be the number that follows two – then got 10a but didn’t understand why until I read the hint. I really enjoyed it – best clues today, for me, include 18 and 28a and 6, 9 and 16 – best of all 29a which I thought was great.
    Going to light the fire and watch the dancing that we recorded last night! :grin:

• Addicted
      Posted December 11, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Permalink

Ditto Kath – think the right ones have been eliminated, don’t you? Mind you – I couldn’t even being to START, so I admire all of them!

Posted December 11, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

Oh dear – sorry – no manners today! :oops: Thanks to Virgilius and, as always, BD.

14. Posted December 11, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

Very good crossword, 28a was the best. 2d took the longest, not good on bloomers!

Posted December 11, 2011 at 7:08 pm | Permalink

Hi David – your comment had to be moderated because you’re using a different handle. Both old and new should now work.

Posted December 11, 2011 at 7:03 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter & Big Dave for the hints. I needed a few for the top left hand corner. The Sunday puzzles always seem to be like 4 separate mini puzzles, but was nonetheless enjoyable. No real favourites.

16. Derek
    Posted December 11, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Permalink

Solved the eastern half of this puzzle from Virgilius just after lunchtime then had to go to Den Haag (The Hague) with my daughter and granddaughter to see The Kirov Ballet version of Carmen. Rather acrobatic performance – we think the original version and also Carmen Jones are better. Too much roaming around with strapped-up mattresses!!

Back home after a Chinese meal, I finished the western half.

Many nice clues as ever from Virgilius!

17. Posted December 11, 2011 at 7:54 pm | Permalink

Now I know Christmas is near! Kirsty McColl and the Pogues on the radio! We had Greg Lake about half an hour ago!

18. Scratchalot
    Posted December 13, 2011 at 10:41 am | Permalink

Hi, quick question.

Where abouts in the paper is the Sunday crossword. Searched but could not find it anywhere!

• Posted December 13, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Scratchalot

I’ll leave that for someone else to answer as I hardly ever buy the Sunday paper

Posted December 13, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

It isn’t in the main bit of the paper but in one of the many ‘extra’ supplementy bits. I think it is called ‘Life’ or something like that. On the front of it, there is usually a heading saying ‘four page puzzle pullout inside’.

• Scratchalot
        Posted December 14, 2011 at 7:43 am | Permalink

Thanks crypticsue. I think that section must’ve been missing from my paper! I don’t normally buy a paper on a Sunday or do the Sunday puzzle but thought why not

• Posted December 14, 2011 at 7:30 pm | Permalink

In a sinister escalation to the story, I had to buy the paper this sunday as well and my copy of the crossword (in the ‘LIFE’ section) was missing…….