ST 2606 (Hints)

Sunday Telegraph Cryptic No 2606 (Hints)

Hints and tips by Big Dave

1a           Talk informally with tramp about new book (6)
A word meaning to talk informally is created by putting a tramp around N(ew) and adding B(ook) on to the end

17a         One only can hear scores from this player (8,6)
A cryptic definition of a device that can only be used by one person to listen to music

21a         Encourage sound understanding (7)
This noun meaning understanding or awareness sounds like a verb meaning to encourage

27a         One released, after change of heart (6)
To get a word meaning one or combined start with a word meaning released and then swap the middle two letters around (change of heart)

1d           Steps taken by sailors when one kind of wind follows another (8)
These dance steps taken by sailors are a charade of two kinds of wind instrument

7d           Where late arrivals get the warmest of receptions? (5)
A cryptic definition of the place where the dead will be greeted by an inferno!

20d         Fashionable jokes have an impact (4,2)
this expression that means fashionable or trendy is a charade of jokes or humour and to have an impact

22d         Brass that may be put in boat (5)
This word for brass or cheek can also be something that is served at the table in a boat

If you need further help then please ask and I will see what I can do.

Today it’s Happy Birthday to Frankie Avalon (72)

Posted September 18, 2011 at 11:55 am | Permalink

I am sure if I type the words ‘easy-peasy Virgilius today’, there will be lots of howls of disagreement, but that’s how I found it. The enjoyment factor of his excellent clues was not diminished by the speed with which I solved them so thank you to him once again for a brilliant start to a lovely sunny Sunday. Thanks to BD too.

Posted September 18, 2011 at 11:57 am | Permalink

I really enjoyed this one today. Many excellent clues, my favourite probably 7d.
    Thanks to Virgilius, and to BD.

Having just opened my birthday presents, I am now the proud owner of the Big Red Book – 12th edition. No more excuses now!!

Posted September 18, 2011 at 11:59 am | Permalink

Happy Birthday Jezza.

• Jezza
        Posted September 18, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

Thanks – Mrs J has taken the children to swimming, and then a school party, so I have a peaceful afternoon. The bubbly is in the fridge for later, but I will probably have a couple of beers before having an afternoon doze! :)

Posted September 18, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

Good for you – hope Mrs J gets the same treatment on her birthday. :)

• mary
          Posted September 18, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

Happy birthday Jezza, you are surely too youn to be needing an afternoon doze! :-)

• Jezza
            Posted September 18, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

Thank you Mary – with 2 young children making up at all hours of the night, I will take an afternoon nap where I can get it! :)

• Dragon60
      Posted September 18, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

Hippo birdy 2 ewes, Jezza. NIce gentle crossword as well.

• Jezza
        Posted September 18, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

Thanks Dragon60

Posted September 18, 2011 at 10:18 pm | Permalink

Happy birthday to you – a bit late here today – a rather tricky day but do hope that yours has gone really well and that the babes are now peacefully asleep and that the bubbly is/has flowed. :smile:

• pommers
      Posted September 18, 2011 at 10:36 pm | Permalink

Been dropping hints to pommette about Xmas presents but they seem to fall on stoney ground – I live in hope! Happy birthday!

3. Prolixic
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

I agree with CS that this was a much gentler Virgilius. Had I been commuting, it would have under a two stopper! No particular favourites this week, just the enjoyment of a nice crossword.

4. Mr Tub
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

I was desperate to get ‘crematorium’ into 7d.
    Thanks to the setter and BD for the comments, and a big happy birthday to Jezza!

5. Derek
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

Another entertaining puzzle from Virgilius!
    Faves : 14a, 17a, 21a, 5d, 15d & 22d.

6. Addicted
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

I’ve done it! Gave me something to think about whilst tackling an enormous pile of ironing. However, I really don’t understand 14a? Can someone explain it without giving too much away, please?

• Jan
      Posted September 18, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

Its an anagram of 2 of the words with a added

• Addicted
        Posted September 18, 2011 at 9:23 pm | Permalink

Thank you Jan! Why didn’t I see that??????? Doh!

7. Don1991
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 8:53 pm | Permalink

Quiet on here today or what? Maybe no-one is bothering because this was a bit of a doddle. Both this and the S.Times completed over a pleasant couple of Sunday Lunchtime pints at the ‘Corner Cupboard’. Not even a decently obscure composer to muddy the waters today. I had more fun afterwards in a ‘can you show me how cryptic clues work’ session with a couple of the the old lags in the bar. It’s possible I’d have had more response from a beer pump!

It’s a ‘Happy birthday to you’ to Jezza, hope you’re enjoying the shampoo.

Thanks to BD and Virgilus

8. TimCypher
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 9:59 pm | Permalink

I thought it was going to be ‘my day’ for the crossword after the top left hand and bottom right corners went in dead quick – after that, I really struggled making sense of the rest of it. But I got there in the end, hours later…
    8d might not had held me up had it read ‘A lot of people run in sexy underwear’! ;)
    Appreciated also the hint for 22d, which helped unlock the bottom left hand corner for me – I wasn’t thinking along those lines at all.
    But, yeah, great Sunday puzzle as always! :)

9. pommers
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 10:40 pm | Permalink

Pleasant crossword solved over a pre-prandial now our visitors have gone, so thanks to Virgilius.
    Nice to have visitors but even nicer when they go home and leave you to do the crossword in peace!

Posted September 18, 2011 at 10:45 pm | Permalink

Absolutely agree – really love having visitors but do appreciate the total peace and quiet when they all b****r off to wherever they came from!! :grin: Must be quite tricky if you live where you do – even more visitors coming to take advantage of the sun – and your hospitality, of course!

Posted September 18, 2011 at 10:41 pm | Permalink

Very late here today – started off VERY early with neighbour’s burglar alarm going at 6.45 – they’re away and we have the key – went to switch it off. Far too early to be up on a Sunday morning but, once awake, not much point in going back to bed! :sad:
    Had coffee, lots – went to get paper – had more coffee, did crossword and it was STILL quite early so had more coffee and it was still only about 10.00am.
    Quite easy for a Sunday, I thought, although when I first started I wasn’t sure that I was going to be able to do it – think the brain was waiting for the caffeine and sugar to get through!!
    No problems with this one but it took some time for the penny to drop with 21a. No real favourites – just a good crossword. With thanks to Virgilius and to Big Dave.
    Very quiet here today – where is everyone?