Hints and tips by Big Dave

BD Rating – Difficulty ***/****Enjoyment ****

A distinctly tougher back-page puzzle which could be the handiwork of one of the Toughie setters (if it is I hope he comes to claim it!).  I found it very enjoyable and if you are struggling it is well-worth the perseverance.

1a    Navel-piercing in decline? (8)
{TUMBLING} – split this adjective meaning in decline as (3-5) and you have a cryptic definition of a navel-piercing

5a    Leak comes from spy initially infiltrating peace movement (6)
{ESCAPE} – a word meaning to leak or slip out is created by putting the initial letter of Spy inside an anagram (movement) of PEACE

9a    Goalscorer does defender’s job (8)
{MARKSMAN} – split this alternative name for a goalscorer or striker as (5,3) and you get a phrase that means does the defender’s job

10a    Weak pound twice paid out (6)
{PALLID} – a word meaning weak or insipid is created by doubling the abbreviation for a pound in money and then putting PAID outside

12a    Characters making a comeback in ‘Blake’s Seven’ won erroneous fame (6)
{RENOWN} – hidden inside (characters .. in) and reversed (making a comeback) inside the clue is a synonym for fame

13a    Wretch has bad first spill (8)
{BLIGHTER} – this wretch is a charade of the initial (first) letter of Bad and a spill or thin strip of wood or paper

15a & 16a    Nothing confused Dora after tribal dance that has everyone going round in circles (7,4)
{ORBITAL ROAD} – start with O (nothing) and then put an anagram (confused) of DORA after an anagram (dance) of TRIBAL to get a route that has everyone going round in circles

16a    See 15a

20a    Geek endeared off and on (4)
{NERD} – this geek comes from the even letters (off and on) of the second word in the clue

21a         About time records reflected feature on churches (7)
{STEEPLE} – insert T(ime) inside the abbreviation of old vinyl albums spelt out and reversed gives a feature of some churches

25a         Go without sleeveless jumpers which may amount to gaudy tat (8)
{TRUMPERY} – put a go or attempt around (J)UMPER(S) (sleeveless jumpers) to get some to gaudy tat

26a         Denied kiss, sex encounter is boringly polite (6)
{SEDATE} – drop the X (denied kiss) from SE(X) and add an encounter or meeting to get a word meaning boringly polite or unexciting

28a         e + r ÷ (51 + 11) = magic formula (6)
{ELIXIR} – put E and R around (÷ / divided by) the roman numerals for 51 and 11 to get a magic  formula

29a         Counterpart of grotesque abridged Gorey tale (5,3)
{ALTER EGO} – this counterpart or second self is an anagram (grotesque) of most of (abridged) GORE(Y) TALE

30a         Give up with plaster (6)
{RENDER} – a double definition – to give up or hand over and to plaster a wall

31a         One who has lost faith in a Post Office propped up by government (8)
{APOSTATE} – someone who has lost faith – a serious crime in some religions – is a charade of A (one), the abbreviation of Post Office and the government

1d           Rice bread commercial goes for quality of sound (6)
{TIMBRE} – the first name of lyricist Rice, of Rice and Lloyd Webber fame, is followed by BRE(AD) without the AD (commercial goes) to get quality of sound

2d           Wool matinée jacket iron ruined (6)
{MERINO} – this wool from the sheep of the same name is constructed from the outside letters (jacket) of MatinéE followed by an anagram (ruined) of IRON

3d           Continue brief conversation to get final decision (4,4)
{LAST WORD} – a charade of to continue or endure and a brief conversation gives the final decision

4d           Elegant Angus? (4)
{NEAT} – a double definition – elegant or ingenious and another name for the farm animal of which Angus is an example (indicated by the question mark)

6d           Dishevelled and in need of support, husband is trapped (6)
{SHAGGY} – a word meaning dishevelled is created by putting a word meaning in need of support or droopy around (is trapped ) H(usband)

7d           Remission of sins not so cleansing (8)
{ABLUTION} – take a word meaning the remission of sins, declared officially by a priest, and remove (not) SO to get the act of cleansing or washing

8d           Party radical shortly joining Electric Light Orchestra could be a gold mine (8)
{ELDORADO} – put a two-letter word for a party and the abbreviation of RAD(ical) inside (joining) the Electric Light Orchestra to get what could be, but hardly ever is, a gold mine

11d         Less labyrinthine Le Carré novel (7)
{CLEARER} – a word meaning less labyrinthine or plainer is an anagram (novel) of LE CARRÉ

14d         Rare bird — don’t mention it in Hamburg in front of sailors (7)
{BITTERN} – a marsh bird of the heron family with a loud deep call is a German (in Hamburg) word meaning don’t mention it or thank you in front of the armed force for sailors

17d         A tinker around with broken-down Polo perhaps (8)
{KNITWEAR} – an anagram (broken-down) of A TINKER around W(ith) gives a type of garment of which a polo neck sweater is an example

18d & 27d            Clement and La Frenais’s impudence producing inadvertent bloomer (8,4)
{FREUDIAN SLIP} – the surname of Clement, the former broadcaster, Liberal MP and dog lover, is followed by the first name of writer La Frenais, not forgetting the ‘S, and a three-letter word meaning impudence to get an inadvertent bloomer

19d         Stupid? (8)
{CLUELESS} – a word meaning stupid is indicated by the lack of wordplay!

22d         Joint southern police operation’s head dismissed (6)
{SPLICE} – a joint created by intertwining the strands of two pieces of rope is derived from S(outhern) and P(O)LICE without the O (Operation’s head dismissed)

23d         Beer bores nursing last of ale — this might be a reflex (6)
{CAMERA} – put the organisation that our setter believes has members who go on and on about beer around (nursing) E (last letter of alE) to get a gadget of which reflex is an example (that’s the R in SLR)

24d         Seem appropriate to live somewhere near Brighton (6)
{BEHOVE} – a word meaning to seem appropriate is a charade of to live (2) and a place near Brighton

27d         See 18d

It’s been a hectic day here at Big Dave Towers with carpets being installed in three rooms.  The workmen have now left – thanks for your patience.

The Quick crossword pun: {Watt} + {sup} + {dock} = { What’s Up, Doc?}

1. Prolixic
    Posted September 15, 2011 at 11:40 am | Permalink

Just into three star territory for me based on train stops! I suspect that this might be the handiwork of Petitjean. Loved 1a and several others. Many thanks to the setter and to BD for the review.

2. Wayne
    Posted September 15, 2011 at 11:42 am | Permalink

One word to describe it from me “Tuff”. To many good clues to select one as favourite.
    Thanks to Compiler and BD as always.

3. mary
    Posted September 15, 2011 at 11:45 am | Permalink

I am really struggling with this but am not going to look at hints yet, perservation ot is then, 12a though doesn’t seem correct to me, I mean the clue not the answer so I will have a look at that explaination cos it is bugging me, mmm surely the clue suggests it’s in the whole thing? Blakes doen’t really come into it?

• Prolixic
      Posted September 15, 2011 at 11:54 am | Permalink

I agree that the Blake’s is technically extraneous to the clue but the setter has enclosed ‘”Blake’s Seven” in quotes and it helps the surface reading so I think it is fair.

Posted September 15, 2011 at 11:57 am | Permalink

Thanks for that Prolixic, its really been bugging me, live and learn :-), right just about halfway into this, luckily I haven’t got a busy day today, can’t say I’m enjoying it, too much like hard work!

• Franco
        Posted September 15, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

In the paper, Blake’s Seven is in italics not in quotes – how strange!

Posted September 15, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

In addition to not being able to cope with continuous service, I believe the site can’t cope with quirks of punctuation like apostrophes and presumably doesn’t like italics either.

4. birdie
    Posted September 15, 2011 at 11:47 am | Permalink

Four stars for me today. I too thought this was verging on tough and very entertaining. Looking forward to the down hints as 17d defeated me in the end. I also loved 1a. Thanks to the setter and BD.

• birdie
      Posted September 15, 2011 at 11:49 am | Permalink

I meant to add that 18/27 was pure brilliance:)

• Jezza
      Posted September 15, 2011 at 11:53 am | Permalink

17d – ‘Polo perhaps’ is the definition, and you are looking for a type of clothing, constructed by an anagram of (broken-down) A TINKER, and W(ith).

• birdie
        Posted September 15, 2011 at 11:58 am | Permalink

D’oh! It was even one of the hard ones! It didn’t help that I had forgotten to correct the first letter of 30a from my original mistake (T). Thanks Jezza:)

• birdie
          Posted September 15, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

“wasn’t one of the hard ones…

• Wayne
        Posted September 15, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

17d was one of the best clues for me. Beautifully hinted by Jezza.

Posted September 15, 2011 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

thanks for that Jezza, the anagram was obvious but I just couldn’t think of the letter to go with it, kept thinkong of Polo perhaps as a car !

Posted September 15, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

my spelling is atrocious today, apologies, I blame the pimms last night!

• birdie
            Posted September 15, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

Same here today, Mary. Wish I could blame the pimms but I’m just having a sloppy day!

Posted September 15, 2011 at 11:48 am | Permalink

I was in a foul mood when I eventually managed to get into the Telegraph website this morning (after an hour of trying), and at that time would probably have slated the best of crosswords.
    Having cooled down, I would agree that this was a very good puzzle; slightly harder than normal, but worth the extra effort.
    Thanks to setter, and to BD for the notes.

• Andy G
      Posted September 15, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

Yup. A foul mood here at lunchtime (regular DT cryptic slot) after the usual struggle to get onto the site. When will it start to work properly? After all they’ve got our money!

• Posted September 15, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

It does seem to be getting worse despite the now rather hollow assurances from DT that they’re working on it. I had 2 to get and then lost the link to the server – tried to refresh and lo and behold could not get back into the puzzles site – all gone. Just glad I took a screenshot of my work before refreshing. Think at least a partial refund would be a nice touch.

• Posted September 15, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog trickydicky72

• Posted September 15, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

Thanks Dave, was here previously under Tricky Dicky but that was linked to my old work e-mail.

• Posted September 15, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

I did scan the email addreses but didn’t get a match – now I know why!

6. Posted September 15, 2011 at 11:48 am | Permalink

Hard but fun. Took a while today as I had ‘Shabby’ penciled in for 6D and couldn’t get it out of my head.

Lovely day here in Brizzle and a good game of rugby on telly this morning (don’t think the high-light show will do it justice though)

7. mary
    Posted September 15, 2011 at 11:59 am | Permalink

I have a feeling that when and if I ‘get’ 28a I will kick myself, grrrrr

• Wayne
      Posted September 15, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

Try putting ‘e’ and ‘r’ outside the roman numerals for 51 and 11.

Posted September 15, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

Thank you Wayne, kick duly delivered! I wouldn’t have thought of it as a spell though more a potion?

• Wayne
          Posted September 15, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

Paper version says ‘=magic formula’ (not spell). So guess that’s appropriate.

Posted September 15, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

Ah yes, not with it today :-D

• Wayne
              Posted September 15, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

Sounds like you had a good ‘girls night in’ last evening.

Posted September 15, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

:-D , excellent

8. Collywobbles
    Posted September 15, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

If Mary is not enjoying it I’m not even going to try to do it with 3/4*s

• Collywobbles
      Posted September 15, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

I can’t even get into the site so what’s the point. I think that we should be refunded our subscriptions – it’s a disgrace

• Nora
        Posted September 15, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

I just find it incredible that the site is going from bad to worse. I wonder if they are trying to fix it, or just letting it die. It’s appalling that we just get uninformative half-hearted apologies. Most odd!

Posted September 15, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

I did find it reall hard Collywobs but I’m sure you will be able to do a lot of it, it takes total concentration and perservation though :-)

• Collywobbles
        Posted September 15, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

Nah, I’m off to the pool

Posted September 15, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

Now, Collywobbles, we had this trouble with you and the pool the other day. It is very sunny here and 19 degrees but sadly no pool :)

• Collywobbles
            Posted September 15, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

Yes CS but it’s better than doing a crossword that I am not going to finish

Posted September 15, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

I must have been on the setter’s wavelength this morning because I would award it 2/3 * difficulty and probably 4/5* enjoyment. As Gazza said yesterday, one is reluctant to give a crossword 5* fun in case something even better comes along. My paper is quite spotty with dots marking clues I liked but I would particularly like to mention 1a, 28a, 18/27d, the splendid 19d and 23d. Thanks to the setter (even I thought it must be Petitjean before Gnomey confirmed that his slightly mad hat had been worn this morning :) ) and to BD for the hints so far (and post carpet fitting too).

The Shamus Toughie is worth a go too, particularly as it’s one of those ones that Shamus is famed for.

10. Posted September 15, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

I was completely clueless staring at this first thing then the pennies started to drop. I think I needed a slightly mad hat to solve and would agree with BD’s and Prolixic’s assessment. Thanks to them and to the setter. Great fun.

11. Posted September 15, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

Definitely tougher than the average Cryptic, took me ages to get into but once in I worked my way steadily through it. Delaying clues were 17d and 25a, a cleverly constructed and very enjoyable puzzle.

12. mary
    Posted September 15, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

Now I am sorry but in MHO this was a definite toughie today at least a 6 star for difficulty for me, I think it is possibly the hardest one I have come across in the just over 2 years I have been doing these, it assumes we know German for a start, well we all know bits and pieces I suppose but I didn’t know that bit! also 21a, well now come on! I know it is in Chambers but I have never ever seen it written like this, no not a crosswrod for me today, I have eventually finished it but was it worth it? not for me, sorry setter

Posted September 15, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

sorry I did like 28a once I got it and also 18 & 27d :-)

Posted September 15, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

also 15 & 16a

• Brian
      Posted September 15, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

Agree with you Mary but I take my hat off to you for solving it, I couldn’t even start it. An absolute horror for me.

Posted September 15, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

It took me over half a day Brian! I could have been planting the 120 daff bulbs that are waiting!

13. BigBoab
    Posted September 15, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

Great crossword and as near to toughie standard as you could hope for on the back page. Loved 1a and 18/27d. Thanks to the setter and to BD.

14. Don Pedro
    Posted September 15, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

Been trying to get on the site since 8am (UK 7am) today. The reeeeeally annoying thing is that autofill is not working on this site so I have to enter a 22 letter address and password at each attempt.

I am in the habit of doing the Quick with my morning tea and the Cryptic over breakfast. (I leave the Toughie until the afternoon so I can refer to the master solvers on BD’s Blog when all else fails) Suddenly there is a big hole in my diurnal rhythm.

Please, please, please DT get it fixed soon.

• Nora
      Posted September 15, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

Are you complaining regularly to CluedUp Don? I am, and I think quite a few other people are as well. My emails get more and more scathing – it takes great restraint to stop short of getting abusive!

15. Nora
    Posted September 15, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

I got stuck on two. Once I got Dave’s hint for the little b——r at 13a, I got the dishevelled one at 6d. Very enjoyable.

16. Captain Lethargy
    Posted September 15, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

I thought quite hard until I got started. Last tto get was 19d which was somehow appropriate.

17. don1991
    Posted September 15, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

Well that was interesting. Verging on 4* for difficulty. I haven’t looked at the toughie yet but, if it’s harder than this I’m in trouble. I have an answer for 4d but I’m waiting for BD’s pronouncement to be sure. Delighted to have finished this without help. I liked 1d, 28a and 19d best.

• Jezza
      Posted September 15, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

The answer to 4d is a synonym for Elegant, as in orderly or tidy, and is also an example of what type of creature Angus might relate to.

• don1991
        Posted September 15, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

Thanks Jezza you just beat me to it. I’m certain that I’ve got it correct but I’m having a mental block on the ~Angus connection~.

• don1991
      Posted September 15, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

in the absence of BD’s down hints, can someone please explain the whys and wherefores of 4d?

• andy
        Posted September 15, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

Think of the crosswordland definition of neat, which relates to a Bovine animal, of which aberdeen angus could be a variety

• Prolixic
        Posted September 15, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

The Aberdeen Angus is a kind of cow. An old word for a cow now only referred to in Crosswordland is neat. Another word for elegant is also neat so the clue is a double definition.

• Don1991
          Posted September 15, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

Thank you andy and Prolixic. I did have it correct and now get it. A bit of a doh! there methinks and actually one of the easier ones. Cheers.

Posted September 15, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

Only easy if you know Don :-) , neat is not a commonly used word for the cow although it has cropped up a few time and each time I forget it!

• Dragon60
              Posted September 15, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Permalink

Probably the only time I have seen “neat” used in this way was back in my RAF days, treating the leather in boots to keep them waterproof and supple. Loved 28a, a close competitor to my favourite clue of all time:

GEGS (9,4)

Posted September 15, 2011 at 8:00 pm | Permalink

Yes – got it – but look at my comment later on for MY favourite clue of all time. :grin:

Posted September 15, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Big Dave & the setter for a tough puzzle. Had some great clues, well written and humorous. Was very difficult though, needed 5 hints to complete.

Posted September 15, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

OMG, has someone put the Toughie on the back page. Totally and completely incomprehensible to me!
    For me absolutely horrible. Faied to solve a single clue, no, failed to understand a single clue.

Posted September 15, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

Never mind Brian, we have Giovanni tomorrow :-) !

20. A young David Gower
    Posted September 15, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

I thought it was jolly tricky although 18d was clever.

Posted September 15, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

Hi Young David – welcome to the blog.

21. Phil
    Posted September 15, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

This was much tougher than the Toughie today, although not helped by the worst clue I’ve come across in many a long year. 19d … how can it be clueless if there is a clue … just because there is no wordplay does not mean that it is clue less … wordplayless yes, but clueless no!

Posted September 15, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

I like your logic :-)

Posted September 15, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

VERY busy morning and early afternoon so only started looking at the crossword about an hour ago – had ground to a halt so thought that I’d see what BD had given it for difficulty and, also, what other people had said. Based on all that I haven’t looked at the hints yet and will carry on “perservating” later on when I’ve done a bit in the garden. I am finding it terribly difficult so congratulations to all those who have finished it – at least I know that it’s not just me!!

23. Lea
    Posted September 15, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

I was late getting to it and luckily had a paper so didn’t have to worry about the DT problems. Got all but 23d and for the life of me I couldn’t work it out – thanks for the review BD. I enjoyed it and particularly liked 15/16a and 28a.

Hope Mrs BD ias pleased with the new carpets. I just had a new window put in in my bedroom and am really pleased with it.

On to tomorrow – goodie Giovanni.

• Posted September 15, 2011 at 7:40 pm | Permalink

She loves them. I’ve added a couple of photos to the bottom of the blog.

24. Qix
    Posted September 15, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Permalink

Enjoyable stuff, and great to see “Blake’s Seven” getting a mention!

25. chris
    Posted September 15, 2011 at 5:52 pm | Permalink

Like others I found this tougher than the toughie.
    Also dislike the 21ac type of clue using written out form of abbreviations even though the answer is obvious… (didn’t we have DJ very recently?)
    19d should have been blank
    Perhaps it is the setter’s view in 23d which prejudiced me.
    BUT apart from all that it was good brain exercise.
    Favorites 20ac and 1d.

26. Franco
    Posted September 15, 2011 at 6:18 pm | Permalink

Definitely a lot tougher than normal, but also a lot more enjoyable.

Favourites: 1a & the silky smooth surface of 9a.

4d – finally solved a “neat” clue – well it appeared in yesterday’s Toughie – even my memory is not that bad! What was I saying…….?

Posted September 15, 2011 at 7:32 pm | Permalink

:sad:
    This one was SO far beyond me – quite the most difficult page cryptic (apart from several Sunday ones) that I can remember, and I did eventually give up completely and go for the hints – and some of the answers! Oh dear!! Definitely not my day. I did think that it was very clever – the problem was that it was too clever for me! Think that I’ll leave my comments at that for today and hope that I do better tomorrow. Well done to anyone who finished it and thanks to the setter and to Big Dave for the very much needed hints. Good night all.

Posted September 15, 2011 at 8:08 pm | Permalink

PS – I did get 18/27d but didn’t really understand why – am still not sure that I understand it apart from the first five letters of the first word.
    My favourite clue EVER was, I think, in a Ray T crossword. It was “Kind of shrink underwear showing a revealing glimpse” I may not have got this completely right so apologies …
    Same answer – what a wonderful clue!

• Posted September 15, 2011 at 8:13 pm | Permalink

(Clement) FREUD + IAN’S (La Frenais’s) + LIP (impudence)

Posted September 15, 2011 at 10:09 pm | Permalink

Thanks BD, Gazza and Franco – I would NEVER have understood that – as I said earlier, today’s crossword really was completely beyond me … not just this clue but the whole crossword. My confidence has taken a serious bashing … ! Thank goodness (and BD et al) for this blog! :smile:

Posted September 15, 2011 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

Kath,

The reason it’s such a great clue is that Dick Clement and Ian LaFrenais were a famous comedy-writing duo (Porridge, Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads?, etc.).

• Franco
        Posted September 15, 2011 at 8:35 pm | Permalink

Don’t mention it in Düsseldorf, but I think that messrs Clement and LaFrenais also wrote “Auf Wiedersehen, Pet”!

Ah, just noticed the “etc” in your comment

• Posted September 15, 2011 at 8:16 pm | Permalink

The clue was “Kind of shrink underwear giving revealing glimpse! (8,4)” from DT 26401

Posted September 15, 2011 at 10:01 pm | Permalink

Thank you BD – I wasn’t TOO far out was I? And don’t you think it was a wonderful clue?

• Posted September 15, 2011 at 10:06 pm | Permalink

You were remarkably close, and yes, it was.

Posted September 15, 2011 at 10:11 pm | Permalink

… it was one of those that had me chuckling all day! :grin:

29. Pete
    Posted September 15, 2011 at 8:23 pm | Permalink

Tough but also great fun to sit down to after supper. One of the best for a long time.
    Thanks to setter and Big Dave. I have no arguments with the star ratings.

30. Derek
    Posted September 15, 2011 at 8:39 pm | Permalink

Late input from me – I nearly forgot to get the DT this afternoon as was busy talking to my twin grandchildren who are 16 today.

I liked 1a, 21a, 29a, 4d, 14d, 18/27d & 23d.
    Surely the fodder for 31a is really for a down clue?

31. AtH1900
    Posted September 15, 2011 at 9:17 pm | Permalink

1a, 13a and 14d get my votes. 4d evoked a long-unused memory, as did 25a. A nice challenge. Measuring difficulty by station stops depends on the line and whether it’s an fast or stopping service. For example, my morning train (now I’m back to commuting for a while) stops twice in nine minutes, then 12 minutes later, then six minutes after that, then is fast for 27 minutes to its destination.

32. Tonyp17
    Posted September 15, 2011 at 9:37 pm | Permalink

I am obviously stupid because I have looked at this for about 30 minutes over our evening meal and cannot get started. I cannot even spot an anagram to kick things off.

I will have to stick with Monday’s and Saturday’s.

Posted September 15, 2011 at 10:16 pm | Permalink

This was, in my opinion anyway, and lots of others too, a seriously difficult crossword – just keep trying. Good luck and don’t give up. :smile: Actually I’m not really sure that Monday and Saturday crosswords are the easiest – just depends on your “wavelength”.

• Qix
        Posted September 15, 2011 at 10:36 pm | Permalink

As you say, it’s a “wavelength thing.”

Often it’s difficult to see the wood for the trees with crosswords, just as gnomethang described above. That’s a good thing – crosswords are supposed to be deceptive. It’s all about finding a way in. One of the great things about crosswords is that every solution to a clue makes others easier to spot.

It took me ages to access this one via the website, but I was glad that I did. It’s an accomplished puzzle. If everyone had found it easy, then it would have been too easy. This, for me, was a puzzle that rewarded the solver’s efforts, which is just as it should be.

For anyone who found this a struggle, I’d suggest looking back over the hints in the blog. BD’s descriptions of the clue mechanics are very good. Hopefully the next puzzle by this setter won’t trouble you quite as much.

I’d be delighted to see more like this one.

Posted September 15, 2011 at 10:19 pm | Permalink

.. not sure that I’ve ever seen so many comments on a weekday crossword …. but could be proved wrong – in fact, probably will be!!

34. droolie
    Posted September 17, 2011 at 12:54 am | Permalink

Some great clues in there but I’m not happy about the spurious couple of Es in 21a. The capital P in Polo seems a bit unfair too.

• Posted September 17, 2011 at 7:21 am | Permalink

From Chambers:

elpee (informal)
      noun
      A long-playing record, a phonetic representation of LP