ST 2604 (Hints)

Sunday Telegraph Cryptic No 2604 (Hints)

Hints and tips by Big Dave

1a    Intimidates daughter and other relatives (6)
This verb meaning intimidates is a charade of D(aughter) and some other female relatives

4a    Was tail outstanding on fish? (8)
A verb meaning tailed someone is derived by putting outstanding, as in a debt, after a fish related to the herring

11a    Man protecting little girl, in a manner of speaking (5)
The required capitalisation of “Man” is cleverly concealed by putting it at the beginning of the clue – put the abbreviation for Man that is found in the Irish Sea around the shortened version of a girl’s name to get a manner of speaking or mode of expression

14a    It accommodates follower of golf on radio (5)
… in the NATO phonetic alphabet

29a    China having plague ahead of time (3,3)
The china used for an evening meal is a charade of a verb meaning to plague or torment and T(ime)

1d    Drunk joined him, emptied large bottle (8)
An anagram (drunk) of JOINED H(I)M without the middle letter of the second word (him emptied) gives a (very) large bottle with a short narrow neck and small handles at neck

2d    Nervous, having been raised on high (7)
For those who had never heard the term for high or drunk last Friday – here it is again!

5d    Goes crazy, as misbehaving fan does, perhaps (4,3,7)
A phrase meaning going crazy could describe what happens to a fan, the kind used to cool a room, that malfunctions

8d    Spotted man in game starting with a couple of sixes (6)
This spotted man is used in a pub game – Tilsit is an aficionado!

17d    Make clear space for fighters in boxing contest (5,3)
A phrasal verb meaning to make clear is created by putting a space for fighters (in a boxing contest) inside said boxing contest

24d    Purpose in stunning finish for Japanese fighting (5)
Put a purpose or aim inside a stunning finish to a boxing match to get this form of Japanese fighting using swords of split bamboo

If you need further help then please ask and I will see what I can do.

Today it’s Happy Birthday to Tom Watson (62) and Mitzi Gaynor (80)

Posted September 4, 2011 at 11:43 am | Permalink

This was yet another of those crosswords where I thought I was struggling but turned out to be solved in the same time as usual. Some tricky ones in there today, I thought. My favourite was 28a. Thanks to Virgilius for the brain stretching and BD for the hints and illustrations.

2. Kathryn
    Posted September 4, 2011 at 11:54 am | Permalink

I’ve only recently started attempting cryptic crosswords. Using BD hints, anagram solver and crossword solver I’ve got today’s crossword down to four unanswered clues. 22d, 19d, 26a, 28a. Any hints appreciated.
    I’d love to be able to finish it and maybe today I’ll be able to submit it too. Spent several hours finishing yesterday’s only to find the DT site wouldn’t let me submit it.

• Posted September 4, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog, Kathryn – Your comment needed moderating as you are a first time poster, you should get in every time now if you use the same name and email address. I’ve given up attemtping to submit for the time being. In any case we hope to see you around the site regularly.

• mary
      Posted September 4, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

Hi Kathryn, welcome to the friendliest chattiest most helpful blog around

22d you need a 4 letter word for cut with the first letter of page for a word that gives you ostentious publicity

19d you are looking for a word for a time of fasting in a certain religion, take a three letter word for travelled at speed (on foot) and inside it put amother 3 letter word for loco (as in not right in the head) preceded by ‘a’

26a you are looking for a poet here, follow the clue a followed by one letter abbreviation for university followed by three letter word for study

28a I have only just got myself Take a 7 letter city and insert the G from German to give you something you may experience if you drink too much

Hope this helps a bit :-)

• mary
        Posted September 4, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

sorry 22d should say 5 letter word for cut :-)

• Kathryn
          Posted September 4, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

Thanks Mary… got 19d straight away once I read your hint. I was on the right lines with 28a as I’d worked out I needed a G from German but didn’t quite know what to do then! Nearly done now :-)

Posted September 4, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Good luck Kathryn – as Mary says, this is a very friendly, chatty and helpful place! Just when you think that you’re completely sunk someone always comes to the rescue!!
            :smile:

3. Posted September 4, 2011 at 11:59 am | Permalink

I was about to post exactly the same comment regarding percived difficulty but a quick solving time. 10a and 28a were favourites among many fine clues. THanks to Virgilius and BD for the hints.

4. mary
    Posted September 4, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

I am totally stuck on 27a, any help much appreciated :-)

Posted September 4, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

27a Petty detail in incomplete clue I point out (9)
      This is a petty procedural point. It’s an anagram.

• mary
        Posted September 4, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

Thanks Gazza didn’t help that I’d spelt 9d wrong! Duh :-)

• mary
          Posted September 4, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

I know the answer but I don’t quite see it I am missing an ‘L’ somewhere

Posted September 4, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

The L comes from CLU(e).

• mary
              Posted September 4, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

Told you I wasn’t with it today another mispelt word! Thanks once again Gazza, I found this quite difficult today and appreciated Daves clues, thank you Dave, however I did enjoy it , my fav clue today 21d, hope the weather is good for everyone, we do have a little sunshine today but I don’t think it will last, hope the day is good for you all :-)

5. Don Pedro
    Posted September 4, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

For me the most frustrating part of the so called lightning strike problem is the inability to SAVE, SUBMIT or EXIT. I am still struggling with Sat’s 21a, so I want to drop it and come back later. Can’t! I worked in the IT industry for over 30 years, and can’t believe this problem is anything more than very poor systems management. For those of us who live out of the country, the DT Puzzles site is a lifeline. At least DT should be gving us regular updates. As each day passes I get more angry. I would switch to the Times, except I can’t do it!

• lizwhiz1
      Posted September 4, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

I so agree with you!!! I am sitting here on my 4th attempt to get on the site….. never mind all the time one cannot save or submit:( I still keep sending compalin emails just for the sake of it!

• DavidR
      Posted September 4, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

I just print it when it lets me on. Hopefully it will get sorted but I’m not desperate enough to line the pockets of that Murdoch fellow.

Posted September 4, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

My most enjoyable puzzle of the last 7 days! Thanks to Virgilius, and to BD.

7. Derek
    Posted September 4, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

Usual entertaining fare from Virgilius.
    Faves : 14a, 23a, 28a, 3d, 9d & 19d.

Missed yesterday’s as the Uk papers never came in from Brussels!

8. Brian Greer
    Posted September 4, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

Nobody seems to have spotted the themette linking four down answers. I thought it was reasonably obvious. Obviously not!

• Posted September 4, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

I sort of noticed 7d/19d but didn’t see any more than that – will delve further….

• Posted September 4, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

Aha! Those Four were Fab!
        Nice one and thanks, Brian.

Posted September 4, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

Very clever and exceedingly well hidden.

• Franco
        Posted September 4, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

I looked for a theme but missed it (in fact, I’m still missing it!) – I was too busy looking for the “hidden” clues – didn’t find any today!

• DavidR
          Posted September 4, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

Gnomethang gave a big hint at 2:44

• mary
      Posted September 4, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

Ah yes see it now, I wouldn’t have though without Gnomeys hints, very clever :-)

• Nora
      Posted September 4, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Brian. Your comment got me unstuck on 7d!

• Nick
      Posted September 4, 2011 at 8:29 pm | Permalink

Very clever, but far too hard for me to spot without the help.

Am I right in thinking you’re the Setter?

Thank you for today’s puzzle. I found it much harder than usual, but I am a big fan of your Sunday offerings.

Favourite clue today was 8d which had me completely stumped but for which I enjoyed the answer enormously.

Nick

• Posted September 4, 2011 at 10:00 pm | Permalink

That’s Him! I always look for some sort of themed material prior to reviewing and stating “THERE IS NO THEME IN THIS CROSSWORD – See Guardian puzzles passim!) but this one eluded me/us/everyone else.

Posted September 4, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

Having another dim day! I thought that this was quite difficult and ended up with three that I just couldn’t do. BD’s hints have sorted me out on two of those three (8 and 17d) but still can’t do 20a. Didn’t know the word at 27a, only the adjective “………us”. Really liked 4a (although it took me ages) 14, 23 and 28a and 1, 5 (another one that took for ever) 9 and 21d. With thanks to Virgilius and Big Dave for the much needed hints. Any help with 20a would be very welcome – can only think of one word that would fit and that doesn’t really fit the clue at all – maybe have got something wrong.
    Going to have a bit of a hunt for the four linked answers now …..

Posted September 4, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

20a Small statue given zero mark after fight (5)
      A small statuette (awarded in the US) is zero/mark after fight.

Posted September 4, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

Thanks Gazza and Franco – why couldn’t I get that?

• Franco
      Posted September 4, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

20a – An award given to actors/actresses in the USA.

• Franco
        Posted September 4, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

I think I’m going to cry! Thank you so much everybody!! :cry:

• Digby
          Posted September 4, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

And I’d like to thank Virgilius, BD,Gnomey, Gazza, CS, Mr Chambers, my Oxford electronic spellchecker, the postman, Jane and anyone who feels left out.

Posted September 4, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

Just found the four linked down answers – took me a while! As Gnomethang says “fab”! Would definitely not have noticed without someone pointing it out. Oh dear – yet another thing to look out for – first it’s a pangram, last week it was a nina and this week it’s links – where will it all end?!!
    :grin:

• mary
      Posted September 4, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

It won’t hopefully :-)

• Franco
      Posted September 4, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

Kath, any hints for the “fab four” would be much appreciated! (surely not the Beatles). I’ve given in on this one! :sad:

• mary
        Posted September 4, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

You are right Franco, I think I’m allowed to say that four of the answers contain the names of the Beatles :-)

• Posted September 4, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

No problems there Mary, but guess what I am eating for afters right now!

• mary
            Posted September 4, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

Didn’t think there was any left but why are you eating it?

• Posted September 4, 2011 at 10:46 pm | Permalink

Because my sister-in-law brought it over! :-P

• Franco
          Posted September 4, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

Mary, Many thanks to you ! And to Gnomey & Virgilius! Finally, understand the themette! The gnome’s comment about 7d & 19d (#8 above) made me go in search of religion!

Sunday is always my favourite! But, a bit disappointed today that there were no trademark “hidden” clues – unless I’ve missed it / them.

• Posted September 4, 2011 at 10:47 pm | Permalink

I can’t see any of the hidden clues either and I have to review it on Friday! (I think we are both safe…)

• Posted September 4, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

They are in there somewhere, Franco!

Posted September 4, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

Very good puzzle today. Like most people it looked daunting at first but came together very well. Best clues for me were 21d and 25a. Never heard of 27a before but got it from the anagram. Thx to Virgilius for the puzzle and to BD for the hints which I needed twice.

12. TimCypher
    Posted September 4, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

Haha @ Dave’s comment for 2d – I did get that one this time… ;)
    Yeah, very enjoyable and solid stuff from Virgilius as always! I’d not heard of 27a, but the combination of checking letters and realising it was an anagram didn’t hold me up for long.
    Last in was 18a – not sure why it took me so long to see that, but there ya go!
    Fave clues were 3d and 5d…