DT 26648 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 26648 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Saturday Crossword Club

As is usual for the weekend prize crosswords, I will select an assortment of clues, including some of the more difficult ones, and provide hints for them.

Feel free to let off steam about the continuing, non-lightning-strike related, problems on the site and the lack of recompense or honest explanations.

1a Treating cancer a doc gets agreement (10)
The surface reading of this clue is so bad it might just as well said “An anagram of CANCER A DOC gives an agreement”

12a Home Counties Tory feeling apprehensive about Parliamentary process (6,7)
A charade of the usual two-letter abbreviation for the Home Counties, a three-letter abbreviation for a Tory and a word meaning feeling apprehensive gives a Parliamentary process

21a Repel nag still running — it’s not won many races (7-6)
Having been brought up in a family where my uncles either worked for bookmakers or gave all their money to them, this was easy for me! This is a horse which is entered in a particular type of race because it is not expected to win in any higher grade, or because it can do well against moderate opposition – the winner of such a race is auctioned off afterwards – it’s an anagram (running) of REPEL NAG STILL

27a Punk group left surrounded by unknown people (10)
To get this punk group put L(eft) inside some unknown people

1d Principal supporting structure (4)
A double definition – an adjective meaning principal or chief and a supporting structure for a bridge or similar construction

3d Starting new life, getting about in pink (13)
A word meaning starting new life or rebirth is a charade of a two-letter abbreviation for about, IN from the clue and a flower hat is also known as a pink

11d Teaches snooker skill, a novel hobby (13)
Combine a word meaning teaches or tutors and a snooker skill to get a hobby that is also the title of a novel by Scottish writer Irvine Welsh and a subsequent Danny Boyle film starring Ewan McGregor

23d Where officers eat hash (4)
A double definition – the name for where military officers eat and a hash or shambles

The Crossword Club is now open.  Feel free to leave comments.

The Quick crossword pun: {myrrh} + {Curie} = {Mercury}

1. spindrift
    Posted September 3, 2011 at 10:04 am | Permalink

Reasonably difficult for a Saturday. 21d had me flummoxed for a while & favourite clue is 7d. My 80 year old mother will have no chance with 27a though!

• spindrift
      Posted September 3, 2011 at 10:04 am | Permalink

21a!

• Domus
      Posted September 3, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

I do so agree; 7d is brilliant. I needed all available letters and then laughed aloud at the answer. This is the sort of challenging puzzle which keeps my synaptic conections in condition.

• Dinosaur Pete
      Posted September 3, 2011 at 6:38 pm | Permalink

Neither has a 67 year old Dinosaur !!!

And with the greatest respect to those of you with French connections, I thought the prize crossword was an English event – didn’t realise the E.U. had elbowed its way in here as well !!!!

2. Prolixic
    Posted September 3, 2011 at 10:11 am | Permalink

I had no problems accessing on the iPhone. I thought this was one of the easier Saturday crossword for me with only 21a requiring a bit of thought. Many thanks to the Mysteron for the crossword.

• spindrift
      Posted September 3, 2011 at 10:17 am | Permalink

For the last 2 mornings I have had no problem accessing the site through my PC. I thought we might have turned the corner but reading BD’s comment it would appear it was a false dawn

3. Posted September 3, 2011 at 10:14 am | Permalink

There were a few to make me think but overall not too tricky. Thanks to the setter and BD.

When I got on the site this morning I couldn’t help noticing a user at the top of one of the leaderboards – FIXorSHUTsite :D

• Posted September 3, 2011 at 10:21 am | Permalink

That’s the smartarse aka Robr – one of a handful of people who think being top of the anorak leaderboard matters.

• spindrift
        Posted September 3, 2011 at 10:28 am | Permalink

I don’t understand the attraction of submitting entries purely to appear on the leader board. In fact I think it may have been our own CrypticSue who commented that it was a question of how fast you could type rather than any particular strength with regard to solving.

By the way it may just be me but the automatic spell check doesn’t appear to be fully functional.

• Posted September 3, 2011 at 10:34 am | Permalink

The spellcheck is a function of your browser, not WordPress.

• spindrift
            Posted September 3, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

That explains it. I use Safari to access the grids & Firefox to print off the NTSPP. Don’t ask.

• Posted September 3, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

Why do you do that spindrift? (Ducks and Runs!)

• spindrift
                Posted September 4, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

I said don’t ask but since you have here goes. Safari because The DT recognizes my registration & Firefox doesn’t. And Firefox for the NTSPP because Safari doesn’t like PDFs. I guess I’ll have to wait for No.1 son to return from his travels to fix it for me.

• Posted September 4, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

Hmmm – My Firefox allows me to save email/password for authentication just fine. Maybe check your Options to resolve.

Posted September 3, 2011 at 11:46 am | Permalink

I solved today’s puzzle in fairly quick order but could probably type it into Screwed Up in about a fifth of the time. Fortunately for me, I have a life so have never been tempted to do so :)

Posted September 3, 2011 at 10:16 am | Permalink

This is soooooo tough for a Saturday, desparetly need some hints!

• spindrift
      Posted September 3, 2011 at 10:18 am | Permalink

Brian – Where do you need help? – Spindrift

• Brian
        Posted September 3, 2011 at 10:31 am | Permalink

Almost everywhere :-)
        The ones that really bugging me are 21a and 3d.

• Prolixic
          Posted September 3, 2011 at 10:47 am | Permalink

21a is an anagram (running) of repel nag still to give a less well known phrase for an underperforming horse. With checking letters in place it is easy to fit in the missing letters

• Collywobbles
            Posted September 3, 2011 at 11:21 am | Permalink

My anagram solver isn’t providing it. By theway, are anagram solvers allowable

• Collywobbles
              Posted September 3, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

BD, can you answer this?

• Posted September 3, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

It’s not for me to answer – it’s down to your own conscience.

• Collywobbles
                Posted September 3, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

Do you use it?

• Posted September 3, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

If that’s directed at me – I use Tea to confirm all anagrams before publishing them, but not when solving.

• Collywobbles
                    Posted September 3, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

OKI DOKI

• mary
                      Posted September 3, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

Collywobs there is nothing wrong with using an anagram solver, it is better than sitting all day puzzling over it if you are really stuck, it then allows you to get on with the rest of the crossword, there is no ‘cheating’ as such, it is often great to be able to see what the setter is after and if then you need ‘help’ go for it :-), there are many, many days I wouldn’t finish without :-)

• Prolixic
          Posted September 3, 2011 at 10:50 am | Permalink

3d put together a two letter word meaning about the in from the clue and another word for a pink (the flower) for a word that means starting a new life

• Brian
            Posted September 3, 2011 at 11:00 am | Permalink

Many thx for 3d, would probably have got it if I hadn’t misread 9a and put the in the last letter of the spice than than another word for refrigerate! Still no idea about 21a and none of my anagram programs will sort the letters. know little or less about horse racing.

• Nick
              Posted September 3, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

I did that with 9a as well, which really, really slowed down 3d…

• rupe
        Posted September 3, 2011 at 10:34 am | Permalink

Gaps all over the place for me – I’ve got 12a but I can’t see why.

Looking forward to 21a falling into place.

• Brian
          Posted September 3, 2011 at 10:44 am | Permalink

One of the few I have got. Try the compass area for home counties, the usual abbreviation for a Tory then a word meing apprehensive or really not looking forward to something then it gives a process in taking a bill through parliament

• rupe
            Posted September 3, 2011 at 10:52 am | Permalink

Thanks – that makes sense.

Have you got 11d – if I had that I think might be able to stagger home – the West side is finally complete!

• Prolixic
              Posted September 3, 2011 at 10:57 am | Permalink

A word split 6,7 could mean teaches snooker skill. As one word it is a book title and a hobby unfairly or fairly attributed to anoraks!

• RBC99
              Posted September 3, 2011 at 10:59 am | Permalink

A book (and a film) result from adding what snooker players are good at to another word fror teaches.

R

Posted September 3, 2011 at 10:56 am | Permalink

Think of that odd movie with Ewan MacGregor and choo-choos as my kids call them

• rupe
      Posted September 3, 2011 at 11:00 am | Permalink

Thanks Brian and Prolixic – relieved to have finished, but disappointed to have missed out on pleasure of the penny dropping on that one!

6. April
    Posted September 3, 2011 at 11:06 am | Permalink

I can see posters’ comments but not BD’s hints – frustrating! However thanks Prolixic your help to Brian has been very helpful

Posted September 3, 2011 at 11:09 am | Permalink

Finished at last but I have to say it was a bit like pulling teeth today, not pleasant and very hard work. No favourites at all today. Thx to those who gave me some much needed assistance.

8. mikef
    Posted September 3, 2011 at 11:20 am | Permalink

I haven’t started this one yet but I thought I would let you know that I have just received a consolation prize of a Telegraph notebook and pen for DT 26630. Not much of a return after submitting them for some 15 years but I will admit to a little thrill at receiving it.

• mary
      Posted September 3, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

well done :-D

• Nick
      Posted September 3, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

Congratulations. I wonder how many correct solutions are submitted each week? Thousands?

I’m afraid I save on stamps and envelopes, but always fill in the box below with a silly name and address.

9. alan
    Posted September 3, 2011 at 11:24 am | Permalink

A horse which is entered in a ******* ***** because it is not expected to win in any higher grade, or because it can do well against moderate opposition, which may result in a betting coup

Red hot ******? How many ?s does it have? I always thought one

• Prolixic
      Posted September 3, 2011 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Alan,

Traditionally, we don’t give checking letters or partial answers so I have removed the offending letters. BD may send you to the naughty corner but apparently there is some very nice lemon drizzle cake there!

In answer to you question about the spelling of 9a, Chambers gives the single letter version as a variant.

• Collywobbles
        Posted September 3, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

An American variant

• Collywobbles
      Posted September 3, 2011 at 11:58 am | Permalink

It’s the American spelling apparantly which seems to be acceptable for an English crossword.

By the way, where is Mary today?

Posted September 3, 2011 at 11:49 am | Permalink

Another straightforward Saturday solve, thank you Mysteron. No particular favourites, I will see what takes my fancy as I type the review. Thanks to BD too for the hints.

11. AtH1900
    Posted September 3, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

3d made me think for a while … but only because I put the wrong head on when I got up this morning. A brief pause for a bacon butty in potato and rosemary bread did the trick though.

12. Collywobbles
    Posted September 3, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

Can somebody tell me how I got 8d. I can see the gun bit but not the rest

• Prolixic
      Posted September 3, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

A five letter word meaning put off with the final letter removed hold “a” gun reversed.

• Collywobbles
        Posted September 3, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

Tks Prolixic, I can see it now, obviously

• Nubian
      Posted September 3, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

8d, A word meaning to put off, with the last letter missing encloses a ..nother word for a gun going north

Posted September 3, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

This has taken me a long time and I STILL can’t do the tropical island – 16d. I eventually managed the 21a horse that’s not much good but only by luck and guesswork – it was obviously an anagram but never heard of it. Have made a guess (again) at the first word of 19a although can only find it in the dictionary as being to do with tennis and not golf. Am I particularly dim today? :sad: I did like 12,17 and 27a and 2d – best for me today was 20d. With thanks to the setter and to BD.
    Any help with 16d and first word of 19a would be very much appreciated.

• Prolixic
      Posted September 3, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

16d You need a word meaning breezes (4 letters) which is reversed (from thee south). Inside this put a four letter word meaning long and thin to find the name of a tropical island

Posted September 3, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Prolixic and Spindrift – got the pesky island now – should have got it before really – have had a rather bad crossword day (me, I mean, not the crossword) – this one has really taken much longer than usual.

• Nora
          Posted September 3, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

I got the island, but had no idea why until I read your explanation, Prolixic. Thank you for clarifying.

I’d never heard of 15a, and probably won’t have cause to use it again, so no doubt I’ll promptly forget it after today. Similarly 21a.

• Prolixic
      Posted September 3, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

19a You have the answer in tennis terms. In golf if you first word a second word you would fall behind the other players.

• spindrift
      Posted September 3, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

16d used to be called something else…

14. Nubian
    Posted September 3, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

I can’t justify 5d as meaning the same thing as the answer, had this not been a prize crozzy it would have been easier to discuss but I don’t see the connection. Can anyone help?
    Apart from that an enjoyable crossword.
    Thanks to B Dave and yes, I agree the on line version is becoming unbearable. Why should we thank mystery setters if they havn’t the decency to tell us who they are ?..Harrumph!

• Prolixic
      Posted September 3, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

5d, the answer is an old fashioned word for fare (as in food). It is given in Chambers as such.

• Nora
        Posted September 3, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

Interesting, as I always thought it referred to drink.

15. Caravaggio
    Posted September 3, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

I’ve struggled with today’s puzzle too and I was grateful for the hint for 21a – thank you Dave – but, generally, I found that the constructs were laborious and, for once, I began to lose interest as there were no ‘Eureka!’ moments. To those of you who feel like throwing in the towel [as I nearly did], keep going and you’ll get there in the end.

16. Jan
    Posted September 3, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

Struggling with 13d really getting annoyed could anyone give me a hint? – I even got 21a – quite proud of myself since I don’t do sport :)

• Prolixic
      Posted September 3, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

Jan,

You need a 6 letter word meaning cursorily reads followed by a 4 letter word for a gang to give something that if applied to you would be very painful.

• Jan
        Posted September 3, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

Got it many thanks :) Save me having it in my mind all afternoon in my yoga workshop – not good when you’re trying to meditate

17. mary
    Posted September 3, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

A really tough one for me today, not even sure I have everything right! thanks for hints Dave but those weren’t the ones I had problems with today, however perservation has won out even though I’m not quite sure! have visitors now so may be back later, horrible rainy day here!

Posted September 3, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

Sorry Mary but it’s 27 degrees plus here – brilliant sun too – its nearly too hot to sit outside but I thought I had better on your behalf :D

Posted September 3, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

We’ve had a really lovely couple of days – hot and sunny – but today is grey and a bit generally uninteresting although not actually raining. Off to do some gardening now.

• mary
      Posted September 3, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

You are both very lucky, it is not only horrible and rainy but cold too, we had a beautiful day on Thursday with the promise of more to come but it didn’t :-(

• Nora
        Posted September 3, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

I’ll swop you some Spanish heat for some rain. My garden is parched after an extremely hot August. We had the first cool night last night in three months – autumn is always welcome!

18. Nick
    Posted September 3, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

It was ‘alright’, I thought. As I think a few people have mentioned, some of the definitions seemed a bit of a stretch, but I thought all the clues were fair.

I’ll take 11d as a favourite.

Thanks to the Setter and to Big Dave. Enjoy the weekend,

Nick

19. miguel
    Posted September 3, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

a torture… made up of flicks thru a book and a gang of men on a boat

• Posted September 3, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Miguel

In future you might find it better to select “Reply” on the comment to which you are replying – it keeps the thread together.

Posted September 3, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

Most of this went in without a struggle, but there is always a couple to cogitate.
    Thanks to setter, and to BD.
    27a takes me back.. ‘sitting on the beaches looking at the peaches’…

• Libellule
      Posted September 3, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

Re 27a – Me too, saw them live a few times.

21. Posted September 3, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

need help with 16 d

• Posted September 3, 2011 at 5:52 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Simon

16d Tropical island that’s long and thin braced by breezes from the south (3,5)
      You are looking for a large island – put a word meaning long and thin inside (braced by) the reversal (from the south) of some breezes.

22. eileen
    Posted September 3, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

Please can I have some help with 27A and 20D……..Thanks Eileen

Posted September 3, 2011 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

27a you are looking for the name of a well-known (even to me!!) punk group. Take a word meaning ‘unknown (to you) people) and insert L for left.

20d look at what I just said to Collywobbles. Possessive adjective meaning belonging to a girl/woman and an anagram (unravelled) of clue.

23. Collywobbles
    Posted September 3, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

Can somebody help with 20d. I’ve got all the checking letters, I think, and only one word fits – which is wrong

Posted September 3, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

Are you sure it’s wrong? You are looking for the first name of a famous fictional detective

• Franco
      Posted September 3, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

20d – One of the few famous Belgians – although he is fictional!

• Collywobbles
      Posted September 3, 2011 at 5:52 pm | Permalink

Tks CS & France, was he hairy?

• Collywobbles
        Posted September 3, 2011 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

Doh! I had a wrong letter in place. Finished Tks for your help

• Franco
        Posted September 3, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Permalink

Je ne sais pas! Another mystery for Monsieur Poirot to unravel!

• Franco
        Posted September 3, 2011 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

Thanks Collywobbles, I’ve just realised all the wordplay in 20a.

Definition: “Detective’s given name”. Wordplay: “of woman” (3) & “clue unravelled” (4) – anagram of “clue”.

But I still don’t understand your question above: “was he hairy?”

24. Carrie
    Posted September 3, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Permalink

I’m struggling still. I have three of the letters for 5d and just cannot think of an answer. Kicked myself when l got 27a loved a lot of their stuff

• Prolixic
      Posted September 3, 2011 at 6:03 pm | Permalink

Carrie,

The answer is an old word for fare (as in food). You need an abbreviation for caught followed by a word meaning that woman. Add an abbreviation for oriental inside this to find the answer.

• Collywobbles
      Posted September 3, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

It’s made up of 3 parts – caught, that woman and the crosswordland letter for Oriental which is inside that woman. I hope that the explanation is not more complicated than the clue

• carrie
      Posted September 4, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

Thank you Collywobbles and Prolixic. Finally got it :) Had to do a lot of searching for the reason why it was the word l thought it was.

Enjoyable crossword 16d caused grief because I’d filled in 19a incorrectly

Two new ones for me were 15a and 21a

Liked 27a because of the nostalgia

25. Rusty black lab !
    Posted September 3, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Permalink

21a Is also a anagram os Repel nag still, all i can say there it is on a plate.

• Posted September 3, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Permalink

Welome to the blog Rusty

• Rusty black lab !
        Posted September 3, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Permalink

Well i thought id give this a WEE try even though i did Dread posting though, but thanks for the well come! Im now going to enjoy my plughmans tea down the inn! Enjoy the extra hints to 10a & 12a 18d

26. Little Dave
    Posted September 3, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Permalink

All done after a sluggish start. 27a provoked memories. I saw them play twice in the early 1980s – Jean Jacques Burnel et al, Magic.

27. eileen
    Posted September 3, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Permalink

Some extra clues for 15A thaks

• Posted September 3, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

15a Make tough old queen a Liberal (6)
      A word meaning to toughen by heating and cooling gradually is a charade of an old Queen of England (4), A from the clue and L(iberal). Easy when you know how!

28. Drongo
    Posted September 3, 2011 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

Loved all the sporting clues!

29. Rod Ash
    Posted September 3, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Permalink

I enjoyed today’s puzzle. Favourites are 17a, 3d and 11d…anything for a rail enthusiast! Thanks to Big D for clarifying 21a.

30. eileen
    Posted September 3, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Permalink

Thanks for help so easy with just a little bit of extra input.

31. Robert Stevenson
    Posted September 3, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Permalink

Have not got very far yet only 1a. Dave’s clues are worse than the compilers. I think I will give this one up.

• Robert Stevenson
      Posted September 3, 2011 at 8:05 pm | Permalink

Where are the pictorial clues?

• Posted September 3, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Permalink

If you had been reading the blog for the last week you would know that I had a hard drive crash a week ago. I got my laptop back yesterday and am spending all my time reloading data and software. I have not yet had time to add the pictures that act as gimmes!

• Nubian
          Posted September 3, 2011 at 8:39 pm | Permalink

Easy Dave, his dad invented the railways

Posted September 3, 2011 at 8:57 pm | Permalink

Wouldn’t that be his great great great grandad? :D

• Franco
              Posted September 3, 2011 at 9:16 pm | Permalink

I thought that he was descended from the novelist, not the railway chappie!

Robert Louis Stevenson or Robert Stephenson ? Who knows? Who cares?

• Robert Stevenson
            Posted September 4, 2011 at 10:09 am | Permalink

Got the *** one.

• Posted September 4, 2011 at 10:51 am | Permalink

Please read the instructions at the bottom of the post about not putting partial answers in you comments.

• Robert Stevenson
          Posted September 4, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

I have more pressing things to do than read blogs all day, you should get out more. If I haven’t completed the DT crossword in ten minutes I move on to more productive activities such as pointing and repairing chimney brickwork damaged in the winter frost, changing wc syphons, unblocking downpipes from chutes, maintaining taps, hedge cutting and laying, tree lopping, science blogging on ‘wattsupwiththat.com’ (10 to 15mins) promoting the sceptic viewpoint etc etc

• Caravaggio
            Posted September 4, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Permalink

And being a pain in the *rse. Sorry, Dave! I’m pleased to see that you’ve now added some pictures to yesterday’s hints and I couldn’t resist the temptation to click on to ‘Golden Brown’ which, if I’m not mistaken, was an ‘in’ name for heroin at the time.

• Posted September 4, 2011 at 6:18 pm | Permalink

I would have added them sooner, but I didn’t like the way I was asked. Please and thank you still have a place in today’s world.

32. s1mon
    Posted September 3, 2011 at 8:37 pm | Permalink

Finished it again, but it was a mighty struggle. Once I’d worked out that daft horse clue, I was able to finish fairly quickly. I worked out the anagram and then had to look it up to check it was a real phrase.

33. nalced
    Posted September 3, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Permalink

Found this a bit hard, stuck on 10a,14a,2d and 4d. it beats me how I manage all the others and fall at the last!!!!!

Posted September 3, 2011 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

Did you want some hints, or have you found that now you have posted your comment, you have now got the solutions?

• Rusty black lab !
      Posted September 3, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

10a. Small – Wee bribe small than a twenty pound note

34. nalced
    Posted September 3, 2011 at 9:21 pm | Permalink

I should have been more lucid, hints would be very much appreciated.

Posted September 3, 2011 at 9:29 pm | Permalink

4d One criminally burns roasts in cooking (8)
      Someone who burns things as a criminal is an anagram (cooking) of roasts in.

Posted September 3, 2011 at 9:32 pm | Permalink

2d Like a cricket ball to deceive, catching edges (7)
      This is the colour of a Test Match cricket ball. Put a verb to deceive around (catching) edges.

• Franco
      Posted September 3, 2011 at 9:33 pm | Permalink

Nalced – 10a – An anagram of “Ernest” (corrupt) placed around (“accepts”) a word for small – especially in Scotland – giving the definition – Bribe.

Posted September 3, 2011 at 9:35 pm | Permalink

14a She turns out woman after game (8)
      A woman seeking game is an anagram (out) of she turns.

• nalced
        Posted September 3, 2011 at 10:00 pm | Permalink

Many thaks all. Wood from trees springs to mind, or lack of clarity of thought more likely!!

35. Rusty black lab !
    Posted September 3, 2011 at 9:30 pm | Permalink

For the slow people out there. I shall give you some extra clues. As i think most of us must have it by now.

8d. *****
    9a. *****
    26a ******
    2d. *****
    22d. *****
    20d. *****
    4d *****

• Posted September 3, 2011 at 9:39 pm | Permalink

Don’t give up the day job!

• Rusty black lab!
        Posted September 3, 2011 at 9:49 pm | Permalink

Oh spoil sport. Well i cant really call what i do a job, More of a life style choice! An i thought they where quite funny! Are you not amazed somedays how slow people are? Most seem to think they want you to finish the whole crossword for them! I can understand 1 or 2 little hints.

An i thought i was rather peotic! You must have had a little chuckle!

• Robert Stevenson
          Posted September 4, 2011 at 9:58 am | Permalink

—they where quite funny– how can you do crosswords with bad grammer like that!

• Posted September 4, 2011 at 10:27 am | Permalink

I can’t make up my mind if your incorrect spelling of “grammar” was intentional!

• Robert Stevenson
              Posted September 4, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

I meant to say – bad grammer like what that is.

• Franco
          Posted September 4, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

“peotic” ? Did you mean “pathetic”? :wink:

• Franco
      Posted September 3, 2011 at 9:53 pm | Permalink

Ah! That’s what sent into Moderation means! Well Done BD!!

Posted September 3, 2011 at 9:55 pm | Permalink

II think you will find that this is more a ‘naughty corner’ issue, probably one where the lemon drizzle cake has all been eaten :D

• Posted September 3, 2011 at 9:59 pm | Permalink

Play the game, Rusty!

• Rusty black lab!
        Posted September 3, 2011 at 10:15 pm | Permalink

Well i think some people still wouldnt have worked the answers out even if i spelled them for them! but point taken! I shall have my cake and eat it!

An its CPL Rusty to you Sir/Ma’am

• Posted September 3, 2011 at 11:52 pm | Permalink

CPL Rusty.
          It is not your job to give the answers out to a prize puzzle before the closing date. Nor is it necessarily your job to decide upon and publicy declaim upon the solving abilities of fellow members of this forum.
          My apologies on not giving you your full title but you did not declare it.
          As for me, I am a bloke, not a Sir nor a Ma’am (nor even the concierge!).
          What I WILL say is that we are all friendly people here and welcome everybody. If they don’t play by the rules they will get appropriately censored. You happen to have tussled with the owner of the site and someone else who can censor you so please don’t push your luck.
          I hope you stick around and play nicely.

Barry

• spindrift
            Posted September 4, 2011 at 8:45 am | Permalink

well said that man! I couldn’t beieve the arrogance of Rusty’s tone ( no title notice – where I come from you have to earn respect before its given to you)

Posted September 3, 2011 at 10:09 pm | Permalink

An awful lot of comments this evening – has the After 8 club reformed? I for one am givng up now, turning off my computer and going to rest the grey matter in anticipation of Virgilius tomorrow. Good night one and all.

37. cruisenuts96
    Posted September 4, 2011 at 9:27 am | Permalink

After Rusty’s comments am reluctant to ask for help this morning! ! Only started the crossword today – would like some pointers for bottom left corner please. Just CAN’T see 21a. Sorry if I’m being dense Rusty!!

• Posted September 4, 2011 at 9:34 am | Permalink

Have you checked BD’s hint and a couple of pointers in the comments?. It is an anagram (running) of ‘Repel nag still’ and BD gives the definition. TOu often see the first word before STAKES on race cards. Its a bit difficult to give a more explicit hint except to say that the second word crops up from time to time in the back page puzzle (including one that I reviewed in January this year, nudge nudge!)

• Posted September 4, 2011 at 10:25 am | Permalink

Since you asked nicely I’ve extended the hint for this one.

Please ignore comments like the one to which you refer – it takes all sorts! We look after our regulars here.

38. cruisenuts96
    Posted September 4, 2011 at 9:37 am | Permalink

Thank you!!

Posted September 4, 2011 at 9:59 am | Permalink

Thanks to the setter & Big Dave for the hints. Got ’em all bar 2d. Favourites were 12 & 21a.

• Heno
      Posted September 4, 2011 at 10:23 am | Permalink

Got 2d now, I’d transposed the letters from 14a, so it looked like 2d ended in a T. Duh!

40. cruisenuts96
    Posted September 4, 2011 at 10:03 am | Permalink

Finished!! Thanks to Big Dave/Gnomethang and others. Great feeling – wouldn’t manage it without help though! About to try NTSPP – 082 now.

• Posted September 4, 2011 at 10:29 am | Permalink

Cruisenuts

If you click “Reply” on the comment to which you are replying it helps to keep the thread together.

• Jason
        Posted September 4, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Permalink

Just done the quick crossword for saturday 3rd in the telegraph… Cannot find the answers anywhere… we’re major rookies at crosswords. Could you possibly share the answers…

• Posted September 4, 2011 at 10:08 pm | Permalink

The answers will be published in the Telegraph tomorrow.

While I don’t want to publish a list of all of the answers, please ask here if there are one or two that are proving particularly awkward.

By the way, the first two (the ones that constitute the pun) are at the bottom of the post – just select the space between the curly brackets with your mouse.

41. Lyonness
    Posted September 4, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed this one but nearly defeated by 2d and 5d……………….11d, 3d and 21a my favourites. Must have a different mindset as found this quite easy when others found it tricky – and vice-versa.