NTSPP – 080 (Comments)

Not the Saturday Prize Puzzle – 080

A Puzzle by Prolixic

– + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – +

Welcome to the latest in our series of weekly puzzles.

This week we have another excellent puzzle from Prolixic!

The puzzle by Prolixic is available by clicking here:

NTSPP - 080

Feel free to leave comments about this puzzle on this post.

For anyone having problems accessing the PDF version of the crossword, a copy is here.

Posted August 20, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

If this is the one I think it is, I found it at the slightly tougher end of the Prolixic scale but as entertaining as usual. I will put a review up later on today after I have been to watch my husband try not to drown, sorry I mean test his boat :D

2. megansgran
    Posted August 20, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

Can you help, I am not able to access this crossword (NTSPP 080)?

• Prolixic
      Posted August 20, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

The link to the puzzle should now be working – click on the picture to take you there.

• megansgran
        Posted August 20, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

Thank you Prolixic. I can open the crossword now, however the pdf link just keeps crashing. I get an error message to say there is a problem with the webpage and internet explorer had to close page

• Spindrift
          Posted August 20, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

I had the same problem with Safari (ongoing) but it worked when I switched to Mozilla Firefox. Now to have a look at the blighter!

• megansgran
            Posted August 20, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

Hi Spindrift I am not sure what you mean. I use Internet Explorer and Yahoo. I will have a look at Mozilla Firefox

• Prolixic
              Posted August 20, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

I have added a direct link to a PDF version of the crossword. I don’t know what the issue is with the PDF generation on the crossword.info site.

• Megansgran
                Posted August 20, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

It must be an Internet Explorer problem as I managed to print off pdf through Mozilla firefox. Thanks for you help

• Prolixic
                  Posted August 20, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

After all that effort, I hope it was worth it!!

• Megansgran
            Posted August 20, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

Thanks Spindrift, it worked. I accessed the crossword through Mozilla Firefox

• Franco
          Posted August 20, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

No problem for me – printing off the NTSPP pdf file via Google Chrome!

But, I’ve had problems using Google Chrome when accessing COW. McAfee keeps telling me not to go there!

I even received a warning when following one of the links to the comments on DT 2663n (cannot remember which one exactly)!

• Franco
            Posted August 20, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

This is the message I received from McAfee:-

Warning: Dangerous Site

Whoa!
            Are you sure you want to go there?
            ukpuzzle.com may be risky to visit.

Why were you redirected to this page?

When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors.

• Qix
              Posted August 20, 2011 at 11:45 pm | Permalink

I had some similar issues when the site was at a previous host – I couldn’t access it through work boxes because of enforcement of McAfee’s “web reputation” analysis.

FWIW I think that McAfee is horrendous bloatware to be avoided at all costs. Its “web reputation” analysis is notorious for producing false-positive results.

The site is clean as far as I can see. I’ve been visiting regularly for several weeks now with no problems.

3. Posted August 20, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

The “Old Dean” in 20a used to be a regular in crosswords. Former Telegraph Crossword Editor Val Gilbert told me that she banned the old codger!

4. Anncantab
    Posted August 20, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed this,now that I have discovered the NTSPP puzzles.

Can’t help feeling that only churchgoers would get 20a !

Posted August 20, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Permalink

In my review (up later) I refer to it as one of this puzzles specialised knowledge clues.

• Prolixic
        Posted August 20, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Permalink

Requiring specialised knowledge for crosswords just isn’t cricket…. ;)

5. pommers
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 12:29 am | Permalink

Never know whether to post here or on the review, but as I haven’t finished yet I thought here, and again on the review if i ever get to the end or need a hint!
    Looking good so far – done about half and finding it very enjoyable but I really must go to bed now as we have visitors tomorrow.
    Just one thing – if I ever see that bloody golfer in a crossword again I will immediately throw the thing in the bin!!!!!