DT 26636 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 26636 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Saturday Crossword Club

As is usual for the weekend prize crosswords, I will select an assortment of clues, including some of the more difficult ones, and provide hints for them.

1a Most knowing old comedian on street (6)
A word meaning most knowing or most knowledgeable is a charade of Eric Morecambe’s partner and ST(reet)

10a Supply joke over the internet? (5)
A word meaning to supply or fit out is derived from the prefix used for internet services such as mail followed by a joke

12a Rather like diesel? One may give it a whirl (7)
A word that sounds as if it means like the acronym for oil for Diesel-Engined Road Vehicles is actually a member of a Muslim religious order noted for their wild whirling rituals

27a Sporting competition gets the French fit (6)
A sporting competition in which each team plays all of the others is a charade of the French definite article and a fever or shivering fit

1d One trying to persuade cyclist to go round end of road (8)
This person who is trying to persuade by flattering and cajoling is created by putting another word for a cyclist around the final letter (end) of roaD

2d Batting stroke after cricket pitch mown (6,3)
This batting stroke hit to the offside could mean that the rectangular area in the centre of a cricket ground, on which the wickets are prepared, has been mown

3d Concession the Queen holds is a fallacy (7)
Start with a three-letter word meaning a concession and then put Her Majesty the Queen around IS to get a plausibly deceptive fallacy

9d Rescue from drowning someone ill at ease (4,3,2,5)
This phrase sounds as if it could mean to rescue from drowning but actually means someone who is ill at ease like a square peg in a round hole

22d Reporter’s first with a parliamentarian’s scams (5)
A charade of the initial (first) letter of Reporter, A and a Member of Parliament’s (not forgetting the S from ‘S) gives these scams

The Crossword Club is now open.  Feel free to leave comments.

The Quick crossword pun: {quay} + {wheeze} = {Kiwis}

1. Posted August 20, 2011 at 11:18 am | Permalink

A very fast solve today (barely a one stopper) but there were some lovely clues, 10a and 12a for example. Thanks to BD and to the setter.

Posted August 20, 2011 at 11:23 am | Permalink

Strange but those were two of my least favourites Gnomey, and of course it has taken me much longer!

• Caravaggio
        Posted August 20, 2011 at 11:42 am | Permalink

They were my favourite clues too, Gnomey! I’ve noted BD’s comments below, Mary, and I hope he’s right although, as a Tottenham supporter he has an ulterior reason for wanting that scoreline, but I think that you and I will have an eye on the Millennium Stadium as well this afternoon.

Posted August 20, 2011 at 11:53 am | Permalink

Indeed we will Cara :-)

• Lostboy
      Posted August 21, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

I’m with you.

12a…….. sublime.

2. mary
    Posted August 20, 2011 at 11:22 am | Permalink

Oh yes I wish I was clever enought to write a crossword like this but Oh no I didn’t like this one today but I can’t really say why, how stupid is that! I did have one favourite clue however and that was 24a, for 9d for some really strange reason I couldn’t get duck out of my mind!!! Good morning Dave, can you believe the football season is here, Arsenal v Liverpool today, come on Liverpool :-) thanks for hints Dave though I haven’t needed them today, good luck everyone, enjoy

• Posted August 20, 2011 at 11:25 am | Permalink

Just this once I want Liverpool to win! 5-0 would be particularly satisfying.

Posted August 20, 2011 at 11:29 am | Permalink

Now why is that I wonder? :-D

• pommers
        Posted August 20, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

6-0 would be even better!

Posted August 20, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

Yees well done Liverpool, I will have one very unhappy son and grandson today, on the other hand one very happy son and grandson :-D

3. Al
    Posted August 20, 2011 at 11:22 am | Permalink

Normally dont have time to get the crossword done first thing on a Saturday – family duties and so on. Usually end up on this blog late at night or even Sunday morning. But – today was different! Thoroughly enjoyed this one – particularly enjoyed 17a. Nice start to a warm and Sunny day.

Posted August 20, 2011 at 11:24 am | Permalink

Where do you live Al? warm & sunny it’s definitely not here in West Wales, dark and very damp!!

• Al
        Posted August 20, 2011 at 11:35 am | Permalink

The Athens of the North Mary. It’s been rough weather of late so today is a welcome respite.

• Spindrift
        Posted August 20, 2011 at 11:37 am | Permalink

In West Bridgford the temp gauge in the car was showing 19°C! Methinks it won’t last however….

• Sarah F
      Posted August 20, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

I am also in Auld Reekie and it’s been lovely out on Bruntsfield Links today. Still working on the puzzle but no hurry!

Posted August 20, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

23.5 on the Thanet coast at 4.30 this afternoon. Blue sky and sun, although we did have a few spots of rain.

• pommers
          Posted August 20, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

Rained off the cricket for a couple of hours this afternoon. Currently 33C here and it’s 1840CEST. Been about 10 weeks since we had a day when the temperature didn’t top 30C!!!!!!!

4. mary
    Posted August 20, 2011 at 11:25 am | Permalink

Congrats to Qix on once again winning COW :-)

• Collywobbles
      Posted August 20, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

What on earth is cow

• alan
        Posted August 20, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

collywobbles?

Posted August 20, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

COW is a clue writing competition, run by Anax, see the link at the side —————————>
        It is good fun and everyone is friendly, there is no prize apart from the dubious honour of being the judge and word setter for the following week, the word is usually set on a Saturday and all entries in by 5pm Friday, have a go nothing to lose :-)

• Qix
      Posted August 20, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

Thanks – there were lots of good clues again this week, and an influx of Australians!

5. Spindrift
    Posted August 20, 2011 at 11:39 am | Permalink

Reasonably difficult for a Saturday I thought however I will wait on the final verdict from my 80 year old mother when I make the bi-weekly “dutiful son call” tomorrow morning…

Posted August 20, 2011 at 11:45 am | Permalink

Definitely a one stopper for me too – I could be off to Bletchley Park yet! Very enjoyable I liked the same clues as Gnomey (welcome back from exile) and also 9d made me smile.

Thanks to the setter for the entertainment and to BD for the hints but not to Mr CS who kept talking at the start until I remonstrated.

7. Digby
    Posted August 20, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

Just back from holiday, which included a fascinating visit to Bletchley Park; so today’s book of puzzles (for all us paper-people) was a nice touch. Enjoyed the crossword once, like Mary, I got the duck out of 9d. Hopefully 2d didn’t upset our non-sporting faction? Also liked the NZ theme running through the Quickie. Thanks, BD, for the blog, to which I recruited 3 “freshers” during my travels.

Posted August 20, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

Hi Digby, welcome back, thank goodness I wasn’t the only duck today :-)

8. Kate
    Posted August 20, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

I was getting through this really quickly but managed to make a mistake in 2d which meant I needed BD’s hints to sort things out, thanks BD. Favorite clue was 16d because it took me a long time to get and then when I did get it, I promptly kicked myself.
    Very hot in Barcelona today, the summer finally arrived last week. Enjoy the rest of the day everyone and thanks to BD and the setter.

• cruisenuts96
      Posted August 20, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

Help please Kate – can’t get 16d!!

• Posted August 20, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

16d Practise on carriage whose passenger is late (8)
        A word meaning to practise, as in to practise a new play, is a charade of a two-letter word meaning on or concerning followed by the type of carriage used to convey someone who is “late” or deceased.

• Franco
          Posted August 20, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

Any ideas for remembering the difference between “practise” and “practice”?

• Posted August 20, 2011 at 5:32 pm | Permalink

They work the same way as advise (verb) and advice (noun)

• pommers
              Posted August 20, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

Never thought of that – thanks Dave!

• Posted August 20, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

That’s unless you are North American and can’t spell colour, in which case practice can be a verb. Wasn’t it GBS who said that we were two nations divided by a common language?

• Posted August 20, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

Even he. Apparently “Any noun can be verbed” which rather makes a mockery of things!.

Posted August 20, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

Many Americans medalled and podiumed at the last Olympic Games.

• Posted August 20, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Permalink

Exactly! Grrr!
                      Apparently they have a problem with burglarization over there. Its the problem of all the people who burglarize homes (the burglarizators)

• Prolixic
                      Posted August 20, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

It’s no joke when you have been burglarizated!

• Posted August 20, 2011 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

..by the burglarizationizators – where does tis end?

Posted August 20, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

With a crime number, not just for the burglarization but for the mangling of the English language on this thread :D

• pommers
                      Posted August 20, 2011 at 8:56 pm | Permalink

Methinks my fellow bloggers are too clever for me! Where the hell did ‘burglarizationizators’ come from?
                      We had some af these a couple of years ago but at the time I thought we’d just been burgled by some burglers, but it was obviously a lot more serious than that!

• cruisenuts96
          Posted August 21, 2011 at 8:55 am | Permalink

Got it!! Thx !! Love these hints. Great feeling to finish the crossword.

9. Derek
    Posted August 20, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

A very enjoyable puzzle to solve. 23a was my first!
    I liked 17a & 9d best but there were plenty of other good clues.
    8d gave me most bother – even after a long consultation of The Oxford Dictionary of The Classical World (section Tullius) I don’t really get it

• Posted August 20, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

Derek

8d Company includes one assassinating Caesar’s rival (6)
      Put CO(mpany) around a slang term for a killer.

• Derek
        Posted August 20, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

Thanks BD – there are times when ones thoughts get ***d up!!

Posted August 20, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

Most enjoyable – thanks to setter, and to BD.

11. Posted August 20, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

Morning – could I ask ref 21A shouldn’t that be 1st class?

• Jezza
      Posted August 20, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

1st class- A, second class – B, third class…

• Posted August 20, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

Hmmm – I see what you mean.

12. Posted August 20, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

I know not everyone likes anagrams, and I agree especially if they are clumsy.

Some have a certain charm though and that at 4A made me chuckle and made me recall the anagram of Atheist – he’s a tit – splendidly appropriate if you happen to have read any of Prof Dawkin’s work.

13. Posted August 20, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

11A – why is that lose kilo’s and not lose kilo, please?

Posted August 20, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

Sorry WB I don’t really know!

• Franco
      Posted August 20, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

Kilo or Kilos – I think this has been discussed previously on this site – the abbreviation can refer to singular or plural e.g. 1k or 20k.

Posted August 20, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

I think you are right Franco

14. pommers
    Posted August 20, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

HELP!!!!!!
    Would someone please, please tell me the clue for 20d!!!
    Printed the puzzle this morning but just noticed the last 3 clues are missing. Got 2 of them from Dave’s hints above but he didn’t do 20d.

• Posted August 20, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

North American tree produces inflammable material (6)

• Qix
      Posted August 20, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

20d North American tree produces inflammable material (7)

• Qix
        Posted August 20, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

Oops, make that (6)

Posted August 20, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

North American tree produces inflammable material (6)

15. pommers
    Posted August 20, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

Many thanks guys! I reckon that, despite assurance to the contrary, the DT site is actually getting worse rather than better!

16. pommers
    Posted August 20, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

Help again please! Just noticed we’re also missing 25a and 26a and still can’t get into the ******* site!

Posted August 20, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

25a More wintry with greater risk not starting (5)

Posted August 20, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

26a Terrible scream as it produces many victims (8)

• Posted August 20, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

25A More wintry with greater risk not starting (5)
      26A Terrible scream as it produces many victims (8)

Posted August 20, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

Snap! :)

17. Pete
    Posted August 20, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

Thought this was a much easier offering than the usual Saturday fare. Shame I look forward to a bit more of a struggle.
    Come on Arsenal you can do it against the Newcastle cast offs. I see Newcastle beat the Man U. Cast offs at Sunderland. That will do for me.

Posted August 20, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

Scuse me who are you calling ‘castoffs’! :-)

• pommers
      Posted August 20, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

Hi Pete
      If you want a bit more of a challenge have a look at the prize crossword in today’s Grauniad. It’s not as hard as the usual prize puzzles but quite entertaining and at least the Grauniad site works!

Posted August 20, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

The Guardian prize puzzle is fine on the website (and very entertaining) but from comments elsewhere it seems that they’ve reprinted yesterday’s puzzle in today’s paper. So it’s not just the Telegraph that can’t get it right!

• pommers
          Posted August 20, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

That’s why it’s known as the ‘Grauniad’ – famous for it’s typos! At least the Telegraph doesn’t get referred to as the ‘Tegleraph’!

Posted August 20, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

Seems Arsenal couldn’t do it Pete :-D

18. pommers
    Posted August 20, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

Thanks Mary – back later when we,ve solved them. Done the rest!

19. mary
    Posted August 20, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

hve to leave now for a while too much rugby and football to watch, see you later :-) Good luck Pommers

20. pommers
    Posted August 20, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed this one even though the only hard bit was getting the clues!
    Favourites are 10a, 3d and 17a (the forgotten battle!).
    Thanks to compiler, BD and to WBGeddes, Qix and Mary for supplying the missing clues!

• Franco
      Posted August 20, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

Should have been a stroll in the park for you – just a few missing clues! Didn’t you once attempt to write the review with the clues but without the grid?

• pommers
        Posted August 20, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

Sure did! Not something I would attempt again, fortunately the gnome can to the rescue!

• AtH1900
          Posted August 20, 2011 at 6:59 pm | Permalink

The idea of a “gnome can” is a little disconcerting. ;)

Posted August 20, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Permalink

A ‘gnome cam’ might be even more so :D

• Posted August 20, 2011 at 8:45 pm | Permalink

I turn it off when I go to the lav/loo/WC/John/head. Otherwise I cover my modesty with the crosswrd. occasionaly I will take a photo of the paper to check on progress :-)

• Posted August 20, 2011 at 8:47 pm | Permalink

Oooh!, and obviously CAN!

Posted August 20, 2011 at 9:06 pm | Permalink

I get the very strong feeling that escape from Southampton and return to the Gnome Home has sent a rush of blood to your head , well that’s the conclusion one must reach after your posts here and at 8 above :D

• Posted August 20, 2011 at 9:23 pm | Permalink

@#8 that is a personal bugbear which clearly we all share as pedants.The latter at #20 was only trying to provide syynonyms for toilet humour!
                    Enjoy!

• Franco
                      Posted August 20, 2011 at 9:36 pm | Permalink

Very amusing! Carry on! At your own convenience!

• Qix
                      Posted August 20, 2011 at 10:16 pm | Permalink

Is it possible to have a “little gnomes’ room”?

Posted August 21, 2011 at 11:10 am | Permalink

I did enjoy – we have missed such contributions while you have been in ‘foreign’ parts.

• pommers
                  Posted August 20, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Permalink

Sorry, I seem to have started this with the typo! Not got used to the full size keyboard I’m having to use at the moment – netbook fixed next week with a bit of luck!

21. Addicted
    Posted August 20, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

Thoroughly enjoyed to-day’s, though the NW corner held me up for a while due mainly to the blankey-blank cricket clue!! However, got there in the end with 1d being last in. Can someone please explain 11a to me? without, of course totally giving away the answer! I HAVE an answer, but don’t really understand why except I know it’s a form of exercise. Thanks!

Posted August 20, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

I just fancy a bit of lemon drizzle cake so here goes:

the number one, followed by a word meaning certain as in certain of the solvers couldn’t do it, and then a word meaning knack with the last of the Kilos removed.

• Addicted
        Posted August 20, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Permalink

Bimey!! No wonder I couldn’t understand it -many thanks.

Posted August 20, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Permalink

Did any of my fellow papers solvers do the Bletchley Park 1941 test puzzle in the booklet? Gazza says that even with the time I solved it in, they wouldn’t have let me be a codebreaker because I am a girl. Blooming cheek.

• Franco
      Posted August 20, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Permalink

Bletchley Park! I thought that Kate Winslet solved the puzzle – very nicely!

• AtH1900
      Posted August 20, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

Tut, tut, Gazza! Some 80% of those working at Station X were female. There were several female cryptanalysts, of which Mrs BB and Mavis Lever (later Batey) were the most notable. Mrs BB was the first to suggest how the Wehrmacht Enigma rotors were wired, and Mavis (who worked for ‘Dilly’ Knox) cracked the Italian Enigma when she was only 19. Mavis acted as consultant on the film Enigma.

Posted August 20, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Permalink

Agreed, most of the 10,000 who ended up working at BP were women, but Joan Clarke (one of the woman there) wrote “Even though the ratio of women to men working at Bletchley Park was 8:1, women were mostly employed in clerical and administration work and not the more intricate cryptology, which was a male dominated area”.

• Qix
      Posted August 20, 2011 at 9:22 pm | Permalink

Haven’t had a chance to look at it yet – I haven’t even checked out today’s NTSPP yet – but I’ll get to both at some point, I hope.

• Lostboy
      Posted August 21, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

A few (many) years ago I passed the code breakers exam for a job at GCHQ.

Of course, now that I’ve told you that, I’ll have to kill you all.

:-(

23. Nick
    Posted August 20, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

Solved it quickly, but didn’t really enjoy it. Sorry. That’s my second grumpy comment in two days, so it’s more likely to be me than the Setters…

Thanks anyway, and have a lovely weekend everyone.

Nick

24. AtH1900
    Posted August 20, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Permalink

A quick solve … just in time to be dragged out shopping, from which I have just returned several hundred pounds the poorer (and with four items to be exchanged :().

12a was my favourite, with 14a as #2 for it’s sheer ingenuity.

25. Nigel
    Posted August 20, 2011 at 7:48 pm | Permalink

A 19d puzzle for a pleasant change. Builds the confidence no end to finish one without too many problems, although did have toi check 18d with chambers.

• Robert Stevenson
      Posted August 21, 2011 at 10:12 am | Permalink

A 19d puzzle? ‘A standard metal in rake’ puzzle – please explain.

Posted August 21, 2011 at 11:09 am | Permalink

Read the solution – I think Nigel is saying that it was normal fare for a Saturday, not a tricky one.

• Prolixic
        Posted August 21, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

I think he meant that the answer to 19d described the crossword.

• Robert Stevenson
          Posted August 21, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

Got it (19d) from below; didnt think the crossword was that easy though. 17a was quite clever.

• Robert Stevenson
            Posted August 21, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

The West Saxons under Alfred the Great and Athelstan (his grandson and first king of ‘all-England’ held hegemony over the Danes, Strathclyde Scots and the rest until Cnut’s time ie 1016.

26. Cal
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 8:43 am | Permalink

Just finished this morning as busy day yesterday – was left with NW corner – cricketing terms not my strong point so thanks for the hints. Quite enjoyed this one and favourite clue was 24a least fave 2d.

27. Rod Ash
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 9:30 am | Permalink

Good Saturday offering…completed before setting out first thing yesterday. I liked 4a, 12a, 17a and 3d
    Thanks

28. Robert Stevenson
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 10:14 am | Permalink

Last one in will be 16d – after 19d of course.

• Robert Stevenson
      Posted August 21, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

Got 16d from BD above.

29. number_6
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

Hi everyone! This is my first posting although I often visit here for hints which have proved very helpful. I’m totally flummoxed by 19d Standard metal in rake (7) I have three of the letters and a possible 4th if 23a is what I think it is :-)

Hints would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks!

• Prolixic
      Posted August 21, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog number_6.

The definition for 19d is standard. You need a four letter word for rake (as in a dissolute person) around a type of metal (used to make cans).

• number_6
        Posted August 21, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

Thx Prolixic! It’s all become clear. I was using rake as it stood in the question. Crossword is now complete :-)

Many thanks!

• Lostboy
          Posted August 21, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

Would I be right in thinking you are not a number, you are a free man?

Still one of my favourite series ever.

• number_6
            Posted August 21, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

Sort of Lostboy but it’s actually free woman :-)

Must admit the remake was ***** in comparison to the original.

• number_6
              Posted August 21, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

Perhaps I should rephrase that :-S

• Lostboy
                Posted August 21, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

I lost the will to live after a couple of episodes of the new series, and stopped watching it. I really don’t know why they have to remake (and ruin) classics.

Sorry, It was the monocle on your avatar that made me think you were a bloke.

Welcome to the blog :-)

• number_6
                  Posted August 21, 2011 at 8:31 pm | Permalink

No prob. It was the avatar I was given and I dont know how to change it doh. Yep have to agree with you that when they remake most classics they are never as good. The remake of The Wicker Man springs to mind there

30. Gari
    Posted August 21, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

Really enjoyed this one, got stuck on 3d, couldn’t work out 2nd letter and had to resort to electronic’s this afternoon.:D