NTSPP – 079 (Comments)

Not the Saturday Prize Puzzle – 079

A Puzzle by Gazza

– + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – +

Welcome to the latest in our series of weekly puzzles.

This week Gazza returns with a puzzle that has a theme – but be careful as not all is what it seems to be!

The puzzle by Gazza is available by clicking here:

NTSPP - 079

Feel free to leave comments about this puzzle on this post.

Posted August 13, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

I test solved this one on a very grumpy crossword day and as I said to Gazza at the time, it was the best crossword I had solved for several days. I can’t recommend it highly enough – brilliant all round fun.

2. mary
    Posted August 13, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

I don’t know if it’s me or it is just beyond my solving abilities but having solved only two clues I think I need more than help, no9? wasn’t that something to do with the Prisoner??

3. mary
    Posted August 13, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

How about help to get me going? I am now up to 4 clues solved 20a is bugging me, ending in a four? 4?

Posted August 13, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

Mary,
      “Featured in” could mean that you have to look closely at the letters in the clue.

• mary
        Posted August 13, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

Ah yes thanks Gazza it doesn’t help that this has printed on 2 pages and the first half of that clue was on page 1!

• mary
          Posted August 13, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

but I still don’t see where the 9 comes in grrrrrrr

Posted August 13, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

I will email you.

• mary
              Posted August 13, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

• mary
                Posted August 13, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

My head hurts, despite the hint from Sue I have still only done half, going to watch the rugby and leave this til tomorrow or maybe later

4. Franco
    Posted August 13, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

I’m doing marginally better than Mary – but not by far! But, I will persevere!

25a – Rubbish golfer? Anything to do with Tiger Woods?

• Posted August 13, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

Close, but no cigar!

A cryptic definition – someone who always shoots one over par on each hole

• Franco
        Posted August 13, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

25a – this is actually one of the few that I have solved so far! It was just a comment on Tiger Woods’ performance in the US PGA over the last few days.

I will continue to persevere – I now think I’ve got 9d – so everything will now become clear, hopefully.

• Posted August 13, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Permalink

A small tip – not all of the 9s are references to 9 down!

5. AtH1900
    Posted August 13, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

Oh dear! Defeated! But only because the interactive version uses Java … and I use an iPad. Nice puzzle. “Mrs Norris” made me chuckle.

6. Spindrift
    Posted August 14, 2011 at 8:39 am | Permalink

must persevate although Mrs S has slated me a whole day’s worth of gardening & general maintenance jobs around the property!

7. Lea
    Posted August 14, 2011 at 8:40 am | Permalink

I started this yesterday but had to go out so back at it this morning – excellent puzzle Gazza – have done the bottom half and most of the top left – just top right to go. Nice theme – makes it easier once you have sussed that out. Worth trying everyone.

Mary – have your persevated???

8. Lea
    Posted August 14, 2011 at 9:19 am | Permalink

I’m done – excellent puzzle – took me ages but enjoyed it. Thank you Gazza

Now I have to go and get some chores done before I even think about the Sunday puzzle.